Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

How are Ireland doing in regards qualification? I'm guessing the women are kinda out of it.
    We won the plate this weekend so are in fifth overall in the Grand Prix series(European Championship) behind the four cup semi finalists.
    If Ireland does not win the European Championship qualification is possible through the World Repechage. To qualify for the World Repechage Ireland team must:
    a. Finish as the runner up of the 2015 European Championship or
    b. Finish in the top three of the European Repechage (played in Lisbon in July).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

We won the plate this weekend so are in fifth overall in the Grand Prix series(European Championship) behind the four cup semi finalists.
    If Ireland does not win the European Championship qualification is possible through the World Repechage. To qualify for the World Repechage Ireland team must:
    a. Finish as the runner up of the 2015 European Championship or
    b. Finish in the top three of the European Repechage (played in Lisbon in July).

All I've seen or heard are the updates here how do they look? Is it feasible with how they are playing?

All I've seen or heard are the updates here how do they look? Is it feasible with how they are playing?
    I haven't seen too many clips etc but they more than likely wont qualify IMO. Just too many teams in Europe and then across world who have been core status and playing 7s much longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I haven't seen too many clips etc but they more than likely wont qualify IMO. Just too many teams in Europe and then across world who have been core status and playing 7s much longer.

Last question I promise. Are there match reports or highlights released or just scores?

Last question I promise. Are there match reports or highlights released or just scores?
    Just results of games. Wouldn't really be match reports done up for 7s. There is highlights on some other forums I think....

France have won both legs of mens grand prix series and are 6 points ahead of Spain ahead of next months(11/12 july) leg of GP series which is on in Exeter. France should seal the European qualification spot at that to join Brazil, Fiji, South Africa, New Zealand, Great Britain*, Argentina and United States in Rio. Asian/Oceanic and African qualifiers are not until November

Uruguay, Chile, Canada, Mexico have all qualified for the World Repechage so far.

• Advertisement

Squad for this weekend
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34832.php#.VYKuTqNOPcs

Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
    Aaron Cairns (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Tom Daly (Lansdowne/ Leinster) Capt
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Terry Kennedy (St Mary's/ Leinster)
    Shane Layden (Buccaneers/ Connacht)
    Gearoid Lyons (Young Munster/ Munster)
    Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster/Munster)
    David McGuigan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Harry McNulty (UCD/Leinster)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne/ Leinster)
    Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)

Rugby Europe Men's Division B Match Schedule (All times are local)
    Saturday 20th June
    11.28 Slovenia v Ireland
    13.22 Bulgaria v Ireland
    16.22 Ireland v Austria

Ireland Women's Sevens Squad (Round 2, European Olympic Qualifiers – Brive, France, 20 - 21 June)
    Shannon Houston (Blackrock/ Leinster)
    Audrey O' Flynn (TID)
    Nicole Cronin (Shannon/ Munster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (St Mary's/ Leinster)
    Eimear Considine (TID)
    Ashleigh Baxter (Cook/ Ulster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/ Leinster)
    Claire Keohane (UL Bohemian/ Munster)
    Lucy Mulhall (TID) Capt
    Claire Molloy (Bristol/ Connacht)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian/ Munster)
    Alison Miller (Portlaoise/ Connacht)

Ireland Women's Sevens Fixtures (All times are Local)
    Saturday, 20th June
    11.50 - Ireland v Scotland
    14.50 – Ireland v Germany
    17.28 - Ireland v England
    Sunday, 21st June
    Play-offs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Brilliant start for the Irish ladies.

Ireland 56-0 Scotland.

The men begin their tournament at 11:28.

And a great start for the men's team as they easily trash Slovenia 54-0.

The gulf in skill level was massive as they ran in 8 tries.

And they have just beaten Bulgaria by 64-0.

It was funny actually as the first three tries were scored after just 2 minutes when Bulgaria didn't even touch the ball as Ireland kept winning their own restarts. They were 40 nil up at half-time which is pretty incredible in just 7 minutes of rugby. Eased off slightly in the second half but Ireland are far, far too good for these sides.

What I have seen of the other teams, Ireland should have no problems winning the tournament this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Thanks for the updates Villmad, where are you getting the reports from? Can you keep giving the scores etc if you have time please? Thanks

• Advertisement

ken76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the updates Villmad, where are you getting the reports from? Can you keep giving the scores etc if you have time please? Thanks
    All scores are being given by IRFU's account on twiter.

Games are been streamed on youtube.

Can't post the link as I don't have enough posts but if you copy and paste '[LIVE STREAM] European Rugby 7's - Zagreb 2015. (day 1)' into youtube, it should be the first link.

Ireland up now against Austria in their final group game and last game of the day.

thanks again Villamad,found the stream

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is a farce,Irish running in unopposed

This team could be in for a rude awakening when we hit a series team, but I'm going to live in hope until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not sure if this is entertaining or a bit pathetic. The Austrians look like they're at J1 level, just about. If Ireland get clean ball, they just run in a try.

Buer wrote: »
    Not sure if this is entertaining or a bit pathetic. The Austrians look like they're at J1 level, just about. If Ireland get clean ball, they just run in a try.

It's been like this all day.

Bulgaria were much worse.

Ireland had to start at the bottom of the ladder, so this is the bottom of the ladder.

When we get the the Lisbon tournament, will it still be the same 7s squad or could we put in more academy players?Or some bigger guns ? Or is this the squad we are sticking with? Why did Ireland leave it so late to try and qualify ?

• Advertisement

I wonder do Austria know that they are allowed tackle?

I wonder do Austria know that they are allowed tackle?

Of course they do, they're amateurs playing against some professionals, it's not really fair to criticise them. It would be like Leinster playing against a Junior side.

Buer wrote: »

They're below J1 standard, having first hand experience in one of these countries. They're physically at about the same standard, fitter if anything, as our junior sides but the standard of coaching is a lot lower, obviously the language barrier plays a big role in that as in countries like Bulgaria the guys aren't all fluent in English (although more and more it's becoming the case) and there are no countries which produce coaches that speak their language. It makes it very hard for a foreign coach to do anything too complex.

Of course they do, they're amateurs playing against some professionals, it's not really fair to criticise them. It would be like Leinster playing against a Junior side.

Yeah I shouldnt of been smart, I just haven't seen anything like that since school

When we get the the Lisbon tournament, will it still be the same 7s squad or could we put in more academy players? Or some bigger guns? Or is this the squad we are sticking with? Why did Ireland leave it so late to try and qualify?
    I will guess it will be virtually the same squad. What bigger guns would you have in mind?
    IRFU didn't look at 7s for a variety of reasons and the sport going global through the Olympics forced them, to an extent, into competing.
    Even if we had started a year or two ago we would have been unlikely to qualify for the Olympics
    They're below J1 standard, having first hand experience in one of these countries. They're physically at about the same standard, fitter if anything, as our junior sides but the standard of coaching is a lot lower, obviously the language barrier plays a big role in that as in countries like Bulgaria the guys aren't all fluent in English (although more and more it's becoming the case) and there are no countries which produce coaches that speak their language. It makes it very hard for a foreign coach to do anything too complex.
    Theyre about j1/j2 standard. The coaching is lower but simply time and experience of playing the sport is the biggest thing. Ive seen it a lot with americans, ive refereed and coached, playing teams here

When I say bigger guns, I would mean players who won't be considered for WC squad.Cian Kelleher, Andrew Conway, Fionn Carr etc etc would make great 7s players and I'm sure they wouldn't mind a trio to Rio

When I say bigger guns, I would mean players who won't be considered for WC squad.Cian Kelleher, Andrew Conway, Fionn Carr etc etc
    I highly doubt any of those guys for a variety of reasons will be looked at. Kelleher is likely to be involved in pro12 during WC and Conway is similar so wont be playing 7s

Women's side play France in quarters tomorrow.

Mens side are top seeds for tomorrows knockout stages. Don't know time/who they play in that yet

Women's side play France in quarters tomorrow.

Mens side are top seeds for tomorrows knockout stages. Don't know time/who they play in that yet

They play Malta, it's the first game up I believe.

Croatia won 3 games and didn't concede any points either, so we might see a good final perhaps.

They started at 11 this morning, so it may be a fair assumption the game will be then.

• Advertisement

So Ireland beat Malta... 76-0...

Semi-final is against Slovenia who we beat 54-0 in the group stages. That will be later this afternoon.

The other semi is Croatia and Serbia, the other two group winners. A Croatia-Ireland final might be worth watching this evening.

Advertisement