Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FishorSeal

Hi lads. What is the likely standard of the teams who stand between Ireland and the last place in Rio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

FishorSeal wrote: »
    Hi lads. What is the likely standard of the teams who stand between Ireland and the last place in Rio?

It will be very tough for Ireland to make it as there will only be 1 spot available so they would have to win everything against sides that will have experience and know-how at this.

Next up for Ireland is the Division B tournament which takes place in a fortnight.

They have to win that Tournament to participate in the Rugby Europe Olympic Repechage tournament in Lisbon on July 18-19.

The winners of that tournament then qualify for the World Olympic Repechage and the winners of that tournament qualify for Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Will the Division B tournament be televised here in Ireland, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Melodeon wrote: »
    Not on irish TV, rugby europe (the organisation running it) may be streaming it online through Youtube or DailyMotion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its some schedule they have, if they get through the Division B, the european repechage is in Lisbon in mid-July, that will be cruel hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its some schedule they have, if they get through the Division B, the european repechage is in Lisbon in mid-July, that will be cruel hot.

Ah its not that bad. I spent a few years in that part of the world. It'll likely be low to mid 20s, it's coastal though and humidity is much lower than somewhere like the States for example, if it was in a southern state in America they'd be worse off! I'd say the temperature might actually be ideal.

I think that'll be the least of their worries. I'd love it if they made the World Repetage, that could be a great competition, maybe more on the line than any other previous competition in the sport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Must make a promise to myself to get down to Kinsale next year for the 7s. Never played it, my fitness is probably too bad for it as is my one-on-one tackling, but I'd say it's a great laugh all together, especially if you string a few offloads together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah it will be interesting to see what mark they hit in terms of teams they are competitive with. None of those Division B nations would be rugby heartlands. I think the fitness of the group is certainly showing, having the lads sourced from with top S&C programmes in the provinces is a massive advantage.

Between this and the 20s its a great bit of entertainment in the off-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

.ak wrote: »
    Must make a promise to myself to get down to Kinsale next year for the 7s. Never played it, my fitness is probably too bad for it as is my one-on-one tackling, but I'd say it's a great laugh all together, especially if you string a few offloads together.
    Or go to Clifden for Connemara 7s. Its great laugh. Horrible to ref but great for summer fitness and skills worK

FishorSeal wrote: »
    Kenya will most likely be the African rep and they'll be tough to beat. Australia/Samoa from Oceania, Uruguay/Chile from South America all tricky especially Oceania sides.
    Melodeon wrote: »
    Not a hope but there should be highlights on rugby Europe's website/dailymotion page etc
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah it will be interesting to see what mark they hit in terms of teams they are competitive with. None of those Division B nations would be rugby heartlands. I think the fitness of the group is certainly showing, having the lads sourced from with top S&C programmes in the provinces is a massive advantage.

Between this and the 20s its a great bit of entertainment in the off-season.
    Plenty history in quite few of these countries but primarily ex-pats... Having pro's will help but shame nobody was picked from the Talent Identification days...

• Advertisement

Women's squad starting their attempt to qualify for Rio this weekend.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/20744
    The European Championship is in Russia this weekend and in France the weekend after. The winner qualifies for the Olympics.

If Ireland does not win the European Championship qualification is possible through the World Repechage. To qualify for the World Repechage Ireland team must:
    a. Finish as the runner up of the 2015 European Championship or
    b. Finish in the top three of the European Repechage (Lisbon July 2015).

The winner of the 2016 World Repechage will qualify for the Olympics.

Squad is
    Claire Keohane (UL Bohemian/Munster)
    Jenny Murphy (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Lucy Mulhall (TID) Capt
    Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Shannon Houston (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Megan Williams (St. Mary's/Leinster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (St Mary's/Leinster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Claire Molloy (Bristol/Connacht)
    Eimear Considine (TID)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian/Munster)
    Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Connacht)

GB announce the details of their Olympic Programme and how to be eligible etc
    Wonder if any 15s players will go for the GB team

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_52200,00.html

There will be a union between the Rugby Football Union, the Welsh Rugby Union and the Scottish Rugby Union.
    Joe Lydon, the RFU’s Head of International Player Development, will lead on the jointly run programmes as performance manager.

To be eligible for selection, athletes must hold a British passport and should have previous sevens experience at international level having played in any one or more of the following tournaments in the 14-month period prior to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games: World Series, Rugby Europe Int tournaments, Invitational tournament
    Eligible players will be required to express their interest in being selected through their respective home union’s performance programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

GB announce the details of their Olympic Programme and how to be eligible etc
    Wonder if any 15s players will go for the GB team

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_52200,00.html

There will be a union between the Rugby Football Union, the Welsh Rugby Union and the Scottish Rugby Union.
    Joe Lydon, the RFU’s Head of International Player Development, will lead on the jointly run programmes as performance manager.

To be eligible for selection, athletes must hold a British passport and should have previous sevens experience at international level having played in any one or more of the following tournaments in the 14-month period prior to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games: World Series, Rugby Europe Int tournaments, Invitational tournament
    Eligible players will be required to express their interest in being selected through their respective home union’s performance programmes.

Glad to see there seems to be a lot more maturity being shown towards this from the Welsh and Scots than there was for the GB football team pre-2012.

Womens 7s rugby side have lost both their opening games. Lost to Spain 24-12 and France 20-7. Last game of the day is against Ukraine

Mens Wolfhound 7s side have won their first two games of this weekends GB 7s in Colwyn Bay against Welsh Charitables 43-0 and Co-Optimist 22-19. Final Pool game is against Samurai

Wolfhounds side have got to final in Colwyn Bay. They play Samurai, already confirmed as GB 7s series champions, in that final

Any word on who is playing well for the Wolfhounds?

Women's 7s team through to the quarter finals tomorrow, they play England who will be tough I'm sure.

Any word on who is playing well for the Wolfhounds?

Women's 7s team through to the quarter finals tomorrow, they play England who will be tough I'm sure.
    Nothing really on who'd playing well. Mainly just results so far.

Dont see Womens side beating England. England too strong. Highlights of this will be up on rugby europe site monday...

Women lost to England 17-14 losing to try in last second.
    Playing for fifth place now. Play Italy next

Ireland beat Italy 31-5 and beat Holland 14-10 in Plate final.
    Women's team are in fifth place after round 1 of European series...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Ireland beat Italy 31-5 and beat Holland 14-10 in Plate final.
    Women's team are in fifth place after round 1 of European series...

How are Ireland doing in regards qualification? I'm guessing the women are kinda out of it.

How are Ireland doing in regards qualification? I'm guessing the women are kinda out of it.
    We won the plate this weekend so are in fifth overall in the Grand Prix series(European Championship) behind the four cup semi finalists.
    If Ireland does not win the European Championship qualification is possible through the World Repechage. To qualify for the World Repechage Ireland team must:
    b. Finish in the top three of the European Repechage (played in Lisbon in July).

We won the plate this weekend so are in fifth overall in the Grand Prix series(European Championship) behind the four cup semi finalists.
    b. Finish in the top three of the European Repechage (played in Lisbon in July).

All I've seen or heard are the updates here how do they look? Is it feasible with how they are playing?

All I've seen or heard are the updates here how do they look? Is it feasible with how they are playing?
    I haven't seen too many clips etc but they more than likely wont qualify IMO. Just too many teams in Europe and then across world who have been core status and playing 7s much longer.

I haven't seen too many clips etc but they more than likely wont qualify IMO. Just too many teams in Europe and then across world who have been core status and playing 7s much longer.

Last question I promise. Are there match reports or highlights released or just scores?

Last question I promise. Are there match reports or highlights released or just scores?
    Just results of games. Wouldn't really be match reports done up for 7s. There is highlights on some other forums I think....

France have won both legs of mens grand prix series and are 6 points ahead of Spain ahead of next months(11/12 july) leg of GP series which is on in Exeter. France should seal the European qualification spot at that to join Brazil, Fiji, South Africa, New Zealand, Great Britain*, Argentina and United States in Rio. Asian/Oceanic and African qualifiers are not until November

Uruguay, Chile, Canada, Mexico have all qualified for the World Repechage so far.

• Advertisement

Squad for this weekend
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34832.php#.VYKuTqNOPcs

Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
    Aaron Cairns (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Tom Daly (Lansdowne/ Leinster) Capt
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Terry Kennedy (St Mary's/ Leinster)
    Shane Layden (Buccaneers/ Connacht)
    Gearoid Lyons (Young Munster/ Munster)
    Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster/Munster)
    David McGuigan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Harry McNulty (UCD/Leinster)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne/ Leinster)
    Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)

Rugby Europe Men's Division B Match Schedule (All times are local)
    Saturday 20th June
    11.28 Slovenia v Ireland
    13.22 Bulgaria v Ireland
    16.22 Ireland v Austria

Ireland Women's Sevens Squad (Round 2, European Olympic Qualifiers – Brive, France, 20 - 21 June)
    Shannon Houston (Blackrock/ Leinster)
    Audrey O' Flynn (TID)
    Nicole Cronin (Shannon/ Munster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (St Mary's/ Leinster)
    Eimear Considine (TID)
    Ashleigh Baxter (Cook/ Ulster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/ Leinster)
    Claire Keohane (UL Bohemian/ Munster)
    Lucy Mulhall (TID) Capt
    Claire Molloy (Bristol/ Connacht)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian/ Munster)
    Alison Miller (Portlaoise/ Connacht)

Ireland Women's Sevens Fixtures (All times are Local)
    Saturday, 20th June
    11.50 - Ireland v Scotland
    14.50 – Ireland v Germany
    17.28 - Ireland v England
    Sunday, 21st June
    Play-offs

Brilliant start for the Irish ladies.

Ireland 56-0 Scotland.

The men begin their tournament at 11:28.

And a great start for the men's team as they easily trash Slovenia 54-0.

The gulf in skill level was massive as they ran in 8 tries.

And they have just beaten Bulgaria by 64-0.

It was funny actually as the first three tries were scored after just 2 minutes when Bulgaria didn't even touch the ball as Ireland kept winning their own restarts. They were 40 nil up at half-time which is pretty incredible in just 7 minutes of rugby. Eased off slightly in the second half but Ireland are far, far too good for these sides.

What I have seen of the other teams, Ireland should have no problems winning the tournament this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Thanks for the updates Villmad, where are you getting the reports from? Can you keep giving the scores etc if you have time please? Thanks

• Advertisement

ken76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the updates Villmad, where are you getting the reports from? Can you keep giving the scores etc if you have time please? Thanks
    All scores are being given by IRFU's account on twiter.

Games are been streamed on youtube.

Can't post the link as I don't have enough posts but if you copy and paste '[LIVE STREAM] European Rugby 7's - Zagreb 2015. (day 1)' into youtube, it should be the first link.

Ireland up now against Austria in their final group game and last game of the day.

thanks again Villamad,found the stream

This is a farce,Irish running in unopposed

This team could be in for a rude awakening when we hit a series team, but I'm going to live in hope until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not sure if this is entertaining or a bit pathetic. The Austrians look like they're at J1 level, just about. If Ireland get clean ball, they just run in a try.

Buer wrote: »
    Not sure if this is entertaining or a bit pathetic. The Austrians look like they're at J1 level, just about. If Ireland get clean ball, they just run in a try.

It's been like this all day.

Bulgaria were much worse.

Ireland had to start at the bottom of the ladder, so this is the bottom of the ladder.

When we get the the Lisbon tournament, will it still be the same 7s squad or could we put in more academy players?Or some bigger guns ? Or is this the squad we are sticking with? Why did Ireland leave it so late to try and qualify ?

• Advertisement

I wonder do Austria know that they are allowed tackle?

I wonder do Austria know that they are allowed tackle?

Of course they do, they're amateurs playing against some professionals, it's not really fair to criticise them. It would be like Leinster playing against a Junior side.

Buer wrote: »

They're below J1 standard, having first hand experience in one of these countries. They're physically at about the same standard, fitter if anything, as our junior sides but the standard of coaching is a lot lower, obviously the language barrier plays a big role in that as in countries like Bulgaria the guys aren't all fluent in English (although more and more it's becoming the case) and there are no countries which produce coaches that speak their language. It makes it very hard for a foreign coach to do anything too complex.

Of course they do, they're amateurs playing against some professionals, it's not really fair to criticise them. It would be like Leinster playing against a Junior side.

Yeah I shouldnt of been smart, I just haven't seen anything like that since school

When we get the the Lisbon tournament, will it still be the same 7s squad or could we put in more academy players? Or some bigger guns? Or is this the squad we are sticking with? Why did Ireland leave it so late to try and qualify?
    I will guess it will be virtually the same squad. What bigger guns would you have in mind?
    IRFU didn't look at 7s for a variety of reasons and the sport going global through the Olympics forced them, to an extent, into competing.
    Even if we had started a year or two ago we would have been unlikely to qualify for the Olympics
    They're below J1 standard, having first hand experience in one of these countries. They're physically at about the same standard, fitter if anything, as our junior sides but the standard of coaching is a lot lower, obviously the language barrier plays a big role in that as in countries like Bulgaria the guys aren't all fluent in English (although more and more it's becoming the case) and there are no countries which produce coaches that speak their language. It makes it very hard for a foreign coach to do anything too complex.
    Theyre about j1/j2 standard. The coaching is lower but simply time and experience of playing the sport is the biggest thing. Ive seen it a lot with americans, ive refereed and coached, playing teams here

When I say bigger guns, I would mean players who won't be considered for WC squad.Cian Kelleher, Andrew Conway, Fionn Carr etc etc would make great 7s players and I'm sure they wouldn't mind a trio to Rio

When I say bigger guns, I would mean players who won't be considered for WC squad.Cian Kelleher, Andrew Conway, Fionn Carr etc etc
    I highly doubt any of those guys for a variety of reasons will be looked at. Kelleher is likely to be involved in pro12 during WC and Conway is similar so wont be playing 7s

Women's side play France in quarters tomorrow.

Mens side are top seeds for tomorrows knockout stages. Don't know time/who they play in that yet

Women's side play France in quarters tomorrow.

Mens side are top seeds for tomorrows knockout stages. Don't know time/who they play in that yet

They play Malta, it's the first game up I believe.

Croatia won 3 games and didn't concede any points either, so we might see a good final perhaps.

They started at 11 this morning, so it may be a fair assumption the game will be then.

• Advertisement

So Ireland beat Malta... 76-0...

Semi-final is against Slovenia who we beat 54-0 in the group stages. That will be later this afternoon.

The other semi is Croatia and Serbia, the other two group winners. A Croatia-Ireland final might be worth watching this evening.

Advertisement