Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Bid 2023/2027

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm confident we'll get it. Our biggest competitor would have been Italy, who have now pulled out for lack of government support. SA are out of sequence and France got it last but one time ago for the NH. We have government support and our stadia are currently at a higher standard than NZ in 2011 with seven years to improve them even further.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Something would need to be done to the sportsground in Galway due to its small size.

Sportsground not part of the bid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

One side are nice covered plastic seats, the others are concrete. Should not cost too much to add plastic seats.

IMO Casement park is the biggest upgrade required. Something would need to be done to the sportsground in Galway due to its small size.

I'd expect the country should have no problem competing sports infrastructure wise.

Casement is being completely rebuilt anyway. Sportsground isn't one of the options.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

One side are nice covered plastic seats, the others are concrete. Should not cost too much to add plastic seats.

IMO Casement park is the biggest upgrade required. Something would need to be done to the sportsground in Galway due to its small size.

I'd expect the country should have no problem competing sports infrastructure wise.

The Sportsground isn't one of the selected stadia.

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Sportsground not part of the bid

I hope they are not planning on using Pearse Stadium. Its a disaster to get in and out of. Literally hours sitting in the car going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

MJohnston wrote: »
    If we win the bid, the biggest immediate highlight will be the faces of the pessimists and begrudgers. The lack of optimism is astounding.

They will also be the first bandwagoners in the pubs joining in on the fun the day the comp starts.

And ive no problem with bandwagoners in this regard, its those kind of hypocrites i despise however

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If we win the bid, the biggest immediate highlight will be the faces of the pessimists and begrudgers. The lack of optimism is astounding.

I'd eliminate the pessimism part. It's pure begrudgery.

There's a very small element of society that will genuinely hope that this bid is not successful as they feel their own interests are not served by it. They will try to dress it up as otherwise but it's as transparent as can be. And it's a bloody shame that not everyone can take optimism and hope in such an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Podge_irl wrote: »

Casement is being completely rebuilt anyway. Sportsground isn't one of the options.
    yeah its due to be 34k seater. Down from 38k. Its being held up by local residents but it will def be completed before the RWC. Although I feel it may be reduced again to around 30k as a further compromise to residents
    You should see the state of it now. Grass about 4ft in places

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I hope they are not planning on using Pearse Stadium. Its a disaster to get in and out of. Literally hours sitting in the car going nowhere.

They are. Here are the stadia.

Croke Park
    Aviva
    RDS
    Ravenhill
    Casement Park
    Celtic Park
    McHale Park
    Pearse Stadium
    Thomond Park
    Fitzgerald Stadium
    Pairc Ui Caoimh
    Nowlan Park

If its literally taking hours to get in and out of the stadium I'd suggest you're better off walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'll read it later

But I'd hazard guess that the outlay in Engalnd was a lot less than it will be in Ireland

They already had the stadiums, the infrastructure etc.
    And they had the critical mass of population to fill them.

The most important word in all your posts so far has been highlighted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

In fairness, that should be better by 2023.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sure it will be grand. Less than an hours walk from Eyre Square. Put on a few shuttle bus services if needs be. Just don't let the cars in.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

molloyjh wrote: »
    The most important word in all your posts so far has been highlighted above.

Its funny, a regular GAA poster on here complaining about a RWC benefiting the upgrade in facilities in provincial GAA grounds. Its win win all round.

A real factor that will benefit us is the political situation in our rival countries. Nobody can genuinely say that SA are better placed to host this tournament unless they're completely ignorant of the country.

They're undergoing massive upheaval in terms of their internal politics. Their own government refuse to support the bid. That's aside from the fact that they're completely isolated from the rest of the rugby playing world and it's a vast country where expensive internal flights are required. They had huge problems with hosting a major tournament in recent times with corruption, poor attendances and transportation all being major issues.

France are the real competition. They've done it before and done it well. They've the hotel rooms, the infrastructure and the population to put on an excellent tournament. Their political situation is somewhat unsettled at the moment but they showed last summer that they can still put a show on and keep it going without missing a beat.

We've a good chance purely on the basis that we haven't hosted it before and France have had it quite recently. However, if they want to award it purely on the basis of which country is best placed to host, France are in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

This is utterly demoralising.

If everything about our bid is so sh*t, then we haven't hope of winning anyway and the miserable begrudgers have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You know it's amazing really that France are bidding again for 2023, after all, according to some on this thread, they'll lose loads of money on it. You'd think they'd learn having only just hosted it 9 years ago...

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

NiallBoo wrote: »
    "Seat" is a bit generous there, they're concrete slabs.
    Better than standing at least.

Plenty of French stadiums use those kind of concrete slabs too for what it's worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Have we made sure Croke Park's availability isn't licence pending?

You'd think they'd learn having only just hosted it 9 years ago...

When you put it like that it's actually insane they're bidding again so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Podge_irl wrote: »
    When you put it like that it's actually insane they're bidding again so soon.

It's almost like they see it as some sort of positive for their country or something...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I've a sneaky feeling France will withdraw leaving it a straight Ireland v South Africa shootout for 2023.

France sports/tourism/government is very much focussed on their (currently favourite) Olympic 2024 bid for Paris the result of which is announced next Autumn also.
    Having to concentrate resources for the first 6 months of next year on two big bids at once is a lot of hassle to take on. In a presidential election year.

Just a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

I've a sneaky feeling France will withdraw leaving it a straight Ireland v South Africa shootout for 2023.

France sports/tourism/government is very much focussed on their (currently favourite) Olympic 2024 bid for Paris the result of which is announced next Autumn also.
    Having to concentrate resources for the first 6 months of next year on two big bids at once is a lot of hassle to take on. In a presidential election year.

Just a theory.

Would that benefit us or not though. WOuld 3 bidders not spread the vote more? Are French votes more likely to go to us as opposed to SA? Just wondering....

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just a theory.

hopefully

the south african economy is in trouble and unless it sees a significant improvement in 1 year, it will be very hard for WR to justify the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I don't think the fact that they hosted it in 2007 will matter to the organizers.
    England hosted games in 1999 and staged the tournament in 2015, the same same gap from 2007 - 2023 (I did the math ;) )

I don't think the fact that they hosted it in 2007 will matter to the organizers.
    England hosted it in 1999 and 2015, the same same gap from 2007 - 2023 (I did the math ;) )

England didn't host in 1999. Wales did. They used a few English grounds along with some in France and Ireland.

2015 was the first time England ever officially hosted (not including 1991 which was a shared job between the 5 Nations).

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Its funny, a regular GAA poster on here complaining about a RWC benefiting the upgrade in facilities in provincial GAA grounds. Its win win all round.

Not if you hate the sport more than you'd like the upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Buer wrote: »
    England didn't host in 1999. Wales did. They used a few English grounds along with some in France and Ireland.

2015 was the first time England ever officially hosted (not including 1991 which was a shared job between the 5 Nations).
    Give me a chance to edit will ya? I was only 9 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

techdiver wrote: »
    Would that benefit us or not though. WOuld 3 bidders not spread the vote more? Are French votes more likely to go to us as opposed to SA? Just wondering....
    South Africa will have little support. Their bid is out of sync with the normal NH-SH rotation and it's a country that puts huge travel demands on everybody. It's even farther from the SH than it is from Europe and it's a long way from Europe.

France have already held it. If they were up against England or even Wales, they might have a chance, but since we have never hosted it, we'd have a much stronger case. They still haven't put their formal bid in either. We're the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's worth pointing out the vast majority are optimistic about this. There's always going to be naysayers (and that's a good thing).

Advertisement