Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Bid 2023/2027

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

And they had the critical mass of population to fill them.

Most of the crowd at Irelands games were Irish people at last years event. Similarily in NZ there was a huge amount of Irish people living in Australia who went to NZ for games, myself included.

England, Wales, Scotland, France, Italy all very easy access to Ireland. NZ, Aus, SA, Argies have ex-pats in big numbers around Europe and also do travel in decent numbers to RWC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

because pure and simple, we do not have the infrastructure to deal with it.

our rail network is crap, we dont have enough hotels, our stadiums are awful apart from about 4, we dont have enough corporate facilities.

our airports also have a very poor capacity to take a sustained period of extra flights.
    We have more than twice as many hotel rooms as New Zealand. And that's not counting guesthouses or B&Bs. NZ have a real problem with hotel rooms for tourism.

As for airport capacity, that's hardly a problem since the time of the RWC is outside the normal peaks for tourism and travel here.

Transport capacity shouldn't be an issue, the travel times are short and the window for travel is wide once the visitor is in the country. It's not like 400k people will all arrive in the one train station at once to go to the same destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

And how much was it for Japan, England, Australia 2003 etc ?

Completely irrelevant - you invented the accusation that World Rugby would increase the fee for Ireland's bid because it was Ireland. The fee for 2023 hosting was set long before a list of bids were compiled, and it would have been the exact same fee no matter whether Italy, South Africa, France, Ireland, or even the USA (who were originally interested) won it.

Why would you lie about something like this when everyone here can find that out with a 5 second Google search?

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Most of the crowd at Irelands games were Irish people at last years event. Similarily in NZ there was a huge amount of Irish people living in Australia who went to NZ for games, myself included.

England, Wales, Scotland, France, Italy all very easy access to Ireland. NZ, Aus, SA, Argies have ex-pats in big numbers around Europe and also do travel in decent numbers to RWC's.

And even if no Irish fans go, the RWC in England was a commercial success on Tourists alone.

Anyway, we were asked for evidence and it has been provided and ignored. We asked in return for evidence to the contrary and received opinion and nothing more.

All I'll say is I'd be delighted if we win for many reasons but road tripping with the family around Ireland will be a brilliant experience, can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

because pure and simple, we do not have the infrastructure to deal with it.

our rail network is crap, we dont have enough hotels, our stadiums are awful apart from about 4, we dont have enough corporate facilities.

our airports also have a very poor capacity to take a sustained period of extra flights.

As has been pointed out on this thread many times, go do some research on the NZ RWC. They're infrastructure is broadly similar to ours. Any any shortfall can easily be made up in the years before the tournament. We completely deserve it. It will give our economy a massive boost, not to mention everything else positive it will bring. Some people are just naturally pessimistic.

Also, our airports can easily handle the influx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And even if no Irish fans go, the RWC in England was a commercial success on Tourists alone.

Anyway, we were asked for evidence and it has been provided and ignored. We asked in return for evidence to the contrary and received opinion and nothing more.

All I'll say is I'd be delighted if we win for many reasons but road tripping with the family around Ireland will be a brilliant experience, can't wait!

Source ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Synode wrote: »
    As has been pointed out on this thread many times, go do some research on the NZ RWC. They're infrastructure is broadly similar to ours. Any any shortfall can easily be made up in the years before the tournament. We completely deserve it. It will give our economy a massive boost, not to mention everything else positive it will bring. Some people are just naturally pessimistic.

Also, our airports can easily handle the influx

But if infrastructure is a deciding factor in the bid we fail to both France and SA

People are assuming that the selectors will ignore the infrastructure differences and focus on other aspects.

Yeah a hungarian lad in work over the summer asked me what was there to do outside of dublin, he had a week off. I sent him to cork, via sligo, connemara, clare and killarney. He turned up after his week off with a bottle of wine for me for sending him out west, b&b every night in a different place.

As a country we have a lot to offer. The infrastructure for travel isnt so bad if there is a good spread of venues. Having teams based in different areas will generate support. Imagine if each team does a few school visits at the start of september and you get to watch a Haka or one of the Islander teams do their respective version. Interest spikes.

If Ireland are successful it will be huge for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

But if infrastructure is a deciding factor in the bid we fail to both France and SA

People are assuming that the selectors will ignore the infrastructure differences and focus on other aspects.

Infrastructure wont be the deciding factor. It will be one. Rugby is different to football world cup/euro's and olympics. Something you seem incapable of grasping.

• Advertisement

Source ?

Already provided in the information you said you would read "later" (never).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one is assuming that. But if stadium infrastructure is the deciding factor obviously we would lose out. But if was the deciding factor NZ never would have gotten it either.

It's an educated assumption based on the fact that New Zealand has worse infrastructure, a vaster geographical area, and less hotels available, and yet when they faced both Japan and South Africa for the 2011 bid, they won.

Infrastructure, by that evidence, is clearly not high on the priority list for World Rugby's decision making.

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Yeah a hungarian lad in work over the summer asked me what was there to do outside of dublin, he had a week off. I sent him to cork, via sligo, connemara, clare and killarney. He turned up after his week off with a bottle of wine for me for sending him out west, b&b every night in a different place.

As a country we have a lot to offer. The infrastructure for travel isnt so bad if there is a good spread of venues. Having teams based in different areas will generate support. Imagine if each team does a few school visits at the start of september and you get to watch a Haka or one of the Islander teams do their respective version. Interest spikes.

If Ireland are successful it will be huge for the country.

Exactly and isolating all teams to just Munster and the East coast will do nothing for Rugby in the rest of the country.

If we win the bid, the biggest immediate highlight will be the faces of the pessimists and begrudgers. The lack of optimism is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

MJohnston wrote: »
    If we win the bid, the biggest immediate highlight will be the faces of the pessimists and begrudgers. The lack of optimism is astounding.

I'm pessimistic about it.

I fully expect we'll win the bid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Common sense

You keep looking for evidence but cannot supply or are unwilling to supply any of your own to backup your own points

It's an echo chamber alright.

As you point to common sense can I ask a question. You stated you do not like rugby so are your points that you think might happen based on what world rugby will do based on anything that they have done in the past or said they will do in the future

Or are they based off your experiences with the GAA who love to hoard money or soccer ruling bodies (because we know fifa and and the fai are a good bunch of lads)

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I'm pessimistic about it.

I fully expect we'll win the bid though.

Yeah, I'll be happy to see the faces of those people too.

Exactly and isolating all teams to just Munster and the East coast will do nothing for Rugby in the rest of the country.

I hope Castlebar and Galway are both included. I think it would be huge for the west, and for Connacht rugby. RWC 2015 had games in northern england which isnt really Union territory but the games were a huge success. If it is done even 80% right in terms of fixture spread it will be massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sorry but you're assuming our infrastructure fails for some reason, which it doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think it would be great if our bid wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You do realise people actually live in the West and North west its not some remote parkland that people come down from Dublin to go on holidays in ?:rolleyes:

Castlebar is an hour from Sligo and Galway, just over an hour from Athlone and Longford. The Dublin train stops right beside the stadium.

Knock airport is 20 minutes away and had over 100K passengers in one month alone. With 22 international destinations.

Westport and Claremorris are only 10 minutes away with plenty of surplus hotel accommodation. Westport been one of the busiest tourist towns in the country and has no problem accommodating them.

Even now Mchale park will easily seat 30K + and was only recently upgraded, and would be considered one of the best GAA grounds outside of Dublin, Limerick & Cork.

I'm a big fan of Mayo but you're really reaching with some of those claims.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ireland is a hell of a lot easier to get to for the majority of rugby fans than South Africa anyway.

As well as being easier it is also a lot more appealing for a lot of people. I know personally at least 20 people from abroad that would travel here for it but wouldn't go to France or South Africa.

There are a lot of people that have the idea they want to visit Ireland some day and something like this is the perfect excuse to do it

Buer wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Mayo but you're really reaching with some of those claims.

:). My mistake Castlebar is now a 42K all seater stadium,. The biggest seated outside Dublin, unless Wikipedia is wrong. Would suit some of the bigger crowds.

Can hold 49K according to here.
    http://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/mchale-park-the-new-home-of-connacht-rugby-in-europe/24475

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

:). My mistake Castlebar is now a 42K all seater stadium,. The biggest seated outside Dublin, unless Wikipedia is wrong. Would suit some of the bigger crowds.

Can hold 49K according to here.
    http://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/mchale-park-the-new-home-of-connacht-rugby-in-europe/24475

"Seat" is a bit generous there, they're concrete slabs.
    Better than standing at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Powers that be want to have fewer stadia in future WC's. Will probably only be 1 in connacht which will be Pearse, parking and access is very poor though.

Also regarding infrastructure our rail network may be poor but there will be plenty of bus services available. You also have to factor in the length of the travel. You can drive the length of the country in 6 hours. You are not gonna find it much easier than that to get around France or South Africa rail or no rail

NiallBoo wrote: »
    "Seat" is a bit generous there, they're concrete slabs.
    Better than standing at least.

One side are nice covered plastic seats, the others are concrete. Should not cost too much to add plastic seats.

IMO Casement park is the biggest upgrade required. Something would need to be done to the sportsground in Galway due to its small size.

I'd expect the country should have no problem competing sports infrastructure wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ireland is a hell of a lot easier to get to for the majority of rugby fans than South Africa anyway.

And much safer also.

Advertisement