Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thought I might try restart this discussion.... How can we counter England and the professional players they now have at their disposal etc
    How would you counter the professionalism in England?
    Would you see the English being interested in Irish sides joining a pro league?

Having refereed some womens AIL teams and provincial league games I think the biggest thing we can do is really ramp up promo of the club game. The numbers are still quite small in terms of player numbers. 24 teams competing in womens AIL with relatively small provincial leagues behind that. Biggest thing is widening the player base

What would you recommend other than potentially joining the English league and who would you have join the English league? Provinces? Which ones and how many?
    Not as of yet. I wouldn't expect anything definite until September at the earliest when clubs are fairly sure on their ability to field teams.
    Doubt we'll see too many changes but think something needs to be looked at to help teams compete. There is AIL 1 which is strong but the 3 AIL div 2 groups can vary widely in terms of strength of teams and something should be looked at with them and the provincial leagues... thoughts?

Interpro series dates/venues announced today
    22nd August
    Ulster v Leinster, Portadown RFC
    Connacht v Munster, Sportsground
    29th August
    Munster v Ulster, Thomond Park
    Leinster v Connacht, Donnybrook
    5th September
    Munster v Leinster, Thomond Park
    Ulster v Connacht, Portadown RFC

And it appears Philip Doyle, ex Irish coach, is involved in the new coaching set up with Ulster....

2nd round of interpros is this weekend
    Munster and Leinster both won last weekend
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/women/35321.php#.Vd2skk3bLcs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

With the interpros tomorrow The Connacht clan were able to get a few minutes with the Connacht womens team

Next round of interpro games were today
    Munster beat Ulster 43-0 in Thomond to go 2/2
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=995227150541202
    Leinster beat Connacht 15-5 in Donnybrook

A Munster A team played a Belvedere XV last weekend and won 10-0

• Advertisement

AIL fixtures have been made.... Well division 1 fixtures have

Munster and Leinster league fixtures also been made. Some clubs have dropped themselves to provincial leagues from AIL by looks of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Saw this on the Leinster women's FB page and am reposting it in case there anybody here who travelled to yesterday's game.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=943131479082608&id=205379526191144

The AIL starts this weekend and in a change to previous seasons where there was 3 regionalised division 2 groups. All those clubs who competed will now compete in provincial leagues
    AIL ROUND 1
    Sunday 20th September
    Old Belvedere v Highfield
    Queens v Blackrock
    St Marys v Galwegians
    UL Bohemians v Railway Union
    Cooke bye

Munster division 1 and 2 start Sunday week and the teams competing in division 1 are:
    Ballincollig, Thurles, Tralee, Shannon, Fermoy, St Senans, Nenagh Ormond and Clonmel
    With division 2 comprising of:
    St Marys, Youghal, Abbeyfeale, Bandon, Richmond, Bruff, Cashel, Cobh Pirates, Bantry Bay,

All home 6 Nations games to be played in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Great news I reckon, I'll probably pop around for a few anyway as it's basically in my back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MJohnston wrote: »
    Great news I reckon, I'll probably pop around for a few anyway as it's basically in my back garden.

It's all about perspective isn't it. I don't think it's a good move because it's now hassle for me, and probably most people this side of the city, to get there. Ashbourne was easy and it brought rugby outside of its traditional southside base.

I disagree. Yet another set of internationals all in Dublin. Due to Aviva contract no senior tests are outside Dublin - theyre Ireland XV.... . Now no 20s or womens games outside the capital.
    When will be the next irish game of any kind in Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast....

I disagree. Yet another set of internationals all in Dublin. Due to Aviva contract no senior tests are outside Dublin - theyre Ireland XV.... . Now no 20s or womens games outside the capital.
    When will be the next irish game of any kind in Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast....

I think that's a more relevant point for the men's senior team to be honest, for the more niche teams I think basing them in Dublin is probably the right idea to maximise attendance?

I think that's a more relevant point for the men's senior team to be honest, for the more niche teams I think basing them in Dublin is probably the right idea to maximise attendance?
    I disagree and attendance at games shouldn't be sole barometer for these games. Attendance for these sides would still be very good in Limerick/Cork/Belfast/Galway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

You have to wonder if Astro (even if its 4G) is the right surface to play international games on, similar to the Womens Soccer world cup. RDS would have been a better venue.

I disagree and attendance at games shouldn't be sole barometer for these games. Attendance for these sides would still be very good in Limerick/Cork/Belfast/Galway....

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

However, showing my immigrant knowledge here, I've confused Donnybrook for Dalymount -_-

Thud wrote: »
    You have to wonder if Astro (even if its 4G) is the right surface to play international games on, similar to the Womens Soccer world cup. RDS would have been a better venue.
    Would they get use of RDS due to limited number of games that can be played there
    I guess I'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

However, showing my immigrant knowledge here, I've confused Donnybrook for Dalymount -_-
    Disagree on what exactly?

I disagree that attendance in other Irish cities could near that of Dublin.

I disagree that attendance in other Irish cities could near that of Dublin.
    Donnybrook is 6000 at full capacity and will these games reach that? Games could certainly reach that level of attendance or similar if played in Cork/Belfast/Limerick

Like I said, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Donnybrook is 6000 at full capacity and will these games reach that? Games could certainly reach that level of attendance or similar if played in Cork/Belfast/Limerick

While I would prefer they stuck with Ashbourne I think the fact that it's in the city might make for higher attendance.

No idea why they chose to move. Floodlights issue last year aside, Ashbourne have been perfect hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

attendance in recent years has been predominantly driven by the womens club rugby teams (and players family/friend/relatives), I think a larger portion of the womens teams are in the Dublin and surrounding areas so it makes sense to play them in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's probably not too many family members living within the 2 canals, a good portion would be in the various suburbs, from which Ashbourne is extremely easy to get to, and find parking in.

Given a choice I'd go to Ashbourne every time, particularly with Friday evening traffic for example.

Irish Women's squad are to play an autumn international against England at the Twickenham Stoop on November 14 at 3pm

They also have an open training session in Ravenhill this Saturday
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/35769.php#.VhWCJaNOMdU

Round up of latest games in AIL division 1
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/35993.php#.VijzFE3bLcs

Blackrock, Railway Union and UL Bohs top at the moment....

Hopefully we'll see a squad named for game against England in a few weeks time

Team named for game against England on Saturday.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/36154.php#.VkS5R01i8dU

RFU will be streaming the game. This is Englands second game this month. They lost 11-0 to France last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Do England have their 7s players?

Ireland look to be playing Wales 2 weeks before 6 nations starts in January.

Ireland lost the english game 8-3 to a late try on Saturday
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixturesandresults/36191.php

Great to see more games for the womens side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

you think 6,000 would show up for a womans game in Cork/Belfast/Limerick? Thomand had 12,000 for H-Cup opener. not sure Limerick has the rugby going public of old.

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    you think 6,000 would show up for a womans game in Cork/Belfast/Limerick? Thomond had 12,000 for H-Cup opener. not sure Limerick has the rugby going public of old.
    No there probably wouldnt be 6000 in Limerick/Belfast or Cork but why should all or nearly all internationals be concentrated in D4? That there wouldn't be 6000 at games in any of those cities isn't the point
    When will the rest of the country next see an international at any grade?
    The Aviva deal for Lansdowne Road means no senior internationals outside of the capital but why cant any other internationals be played in the other cities?

Advertisement