Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

France at home have amazing fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sullivlo wrote: »
    They do already do deals with clubs with girls and women's teams. They subsidise buses and they offer group discount on tickets.

There is no issue in getting people from within the "women's rugby" family involved. It's looking at getting people who support rugby, but only the Irish men or the Leinster/Munster/Ulster/Connacht teams.

Playing games in Thomond/Musgrave/Sportsgrounds/Kingspan. Munster women played their interpros in Thomand this year. Absolutely woeful turnout, and I think it was even free to enter. Leinster women played in Ashbourne and had more people in attendance than the Munster ladies in Thomand. That's nothing to do with the quality of rugby on show. It's more to do with how 25% of the population/supporters live within a travelling distance of the locations where the sports are played.

Would I get into the car and drive down to Cork to watch an u20's rugby match? Unlikely. Would I go walk up to the office in Donnybrook tonight? Yeah. I would. Because as much as I enjoy rugby, a 3 hour drive is a pain in the neck to watch a game. And yes I know that the 3 hour drive exists for those in other provinces, but I think minority rugby is supported better in Dublin than outside of Dublin, and so there is a better chance of picking up support.

Would I support them playing the games elsewhere? Absolutely. It should be accessible to all at some stage. But ultimately it comes down to money. If the women's games were in Cork, I might travel if it suited. But I feel the same about men's internationals. If they were played in Thomond I would take a view of the costs involved.

Playing internationals outside of d4, for the men anyway, is a contract issue. But I was at the Ireland barbarians game in Thomand a few years ago and it wasn't very well supported. Not saying that the game would have sold out in Dublin, but it's not exactly a good advertisement for moving games if they're not supported by the locals.
    But these games are not all about the attendances and the attendance isn't the primary driver. Do you not think we across the rest of the country don't have costs to bear with to attend games?
    You make a fair enough point about not enough turning up. But just look at the games in Donnybrook. So much talk when these games were announced as moving to D4 but no game in Donnybrook this year has went over 3500 or so

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

But these games are not all about the attendances and the attendance isn't the primary driver. Do you not think we across the rest of the country don't have costs to bear with to attend games?
    You make a fair enough point about not enough turning up. But just look at the games in Donnybrook. So much talk when these games were announced as moving to D4 but no game in Donnybrook this year has went over 3500 or so

I mentioned the cost of the rest of the country have to consider with current setup!

3500 is still a decent turnout. Higher turnout than Scotland / France / Welsh women all of the time, England some of the time. But France none of the time as they frequently attract 11,000+ for their team.

I think it will be trial and error to grow the sport, but the fact that there are at least being efforts made is a step in the right direction. A few years ago the Irish women were put on a bus, boat & overnight train, arriving hours before kickoff for a match, and only lost 7-5 or similar. That kinda thing has changed, and slowly but surely the sport is growing.

Baby steps in the right direction.

45-12 win.
    Eight tries including Allison Miller hat trick.

This Sunday sees the start of the Women’s All Ireland League
    The league has reverted to home and away fixtures for the eight teams and it’ll run pretty solidly through to the first week in November. There is a bit of a break in November for the Women’s Autumn Internationals and then the Women’s Interprovincials take over for December.
    Matches resume in mid January and continues through to the end of March with a few weeks off for the Women’s Six Nations matches
    Teams in AIL are:
    Cooke, Railway Union, Old Belvedere, Blackrock, St. Mary’s, Galwegians, U.L. Bohs, Highfield

U18 girls 7s team competing in European championships this weekend.

Anna McGann (Buccaneers/Connacht), Brittany Hogan (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster), Claire Boles (Enniskillen RFC/Ulster), Eimear Corri (Portlaoise RFC/Leinster), Ellie Rix (Enniskillen RFC/Ulster), Emily Lane (Mallow RFC/Munster), Enya Breen (Bantry Bay RFC/Munster), Kathy Baker (The Kings Hospital School/Leinster), Katie Heffernan (Mullingar RFC/Leinster), Ruby Keating (High School/Leinster), Sabrina Kennedy (Cill Dara RFC/Leinster), Stephanie Nunan (St. Mary's RFC, Limerick/Munster)
    U18 Sevens Championship, Pool C Fixtures:
    Saturday 10th September: Ireland Girls U18 v Russia, Ireland Girls U18 v USA, Ireland Girls U18 v Germany
    Sunday 9th September 2016 - Play-offs

• Advertisement

Leinster league groups:
    Division 1: Carlow Coyotes, Railway Union J1s, Old Belvedere, Rathdrum, Tullamore, Mullingar, Edenderry
    Division 2: Wexford Wanderers, Tullow, Clondalkin, NM Falcons, Suttonians, CYM, New Ross, Kilkenny, Gorey
    Division 3: MU Barnhall, Wicklow, Arklow, Navan, Greystones, Balbriggan, Garda/Westmanstown, Athy, Clontarf

All divisions start Sunday.

Munster division 1 qualifying conference A
    Thurles, UL Bohs, Cashel, Shannon, Richmond, Clonmel
    Munster division 1 qualifying conference B
    Fermoy, Dungarvan-Youghal, Bantry Bay, Bandon, Tralee, Ballincollig

Ulster championship
    Enniskillen, Malone, City Of Derry, Cavan, Ballynahinch
    Ulster Development
    Belfast Harlequins, Omagh, Carrickfergus, Lisburn Randalstown

Games start either this weekend or the following weekend. No fixtures available in Connacht yet

Womens 7s team played 2nd round of European grand prix series this weekend finishing 3rd just like the first round.

Squad of 36 announced that will take part in a one-day camp this weekend in DCU in prep for the national teams first ever full Autumn International Series
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/23193.php#.V-2BdE3JAdU

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Squad of 36 announced that will take part in a one-day camp this weekend in DCU in prep for the national teams first ever full Autumn International Series
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/23193.php#.V-2BdE3JAdU

Delighted to see one of my good buddies make the squad. We lied so much about her age when she was 16 so that she could play with the adults.

Pools for Dubai 7s made. Ireland have NZ, France and Fiji...

• Advertisement

Round 4 of AIL this weekend. Watched Wegians and Bohs which was Saturday evening directly after mens AIL game between same clubs. Bohs won narrowly and are top of the league

Excellent game. Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird and Niamh Briggs very impressive for the winners

Ireland Women's Squad for Two Day Camp in Dublin this weekend prepping for November series
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/23357.php#.WBIOw6NOMdU
    Forwards
    Anna Caplice - (UL Bohemians/Munster)*
    Ciara Cooney - (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Ailis Egan - (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Paul Fitzpatrick - (St. Mary's RFC/Leinster)
    Orla Fitzsimons - (St. Mary's RFC/Leinster)
    Nichola Fryday - (Tullamore RFC/Connacht)*
    Zoe Grattage - (Highfield RFC/Munster)
    Ciara Griffin - (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Fiona Hayes - (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Leah Lyons - (Highfield RFC/Munster)*
    Claire Molloy - (Bristol Ladies)
    Cliodhna Moloney - (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Katie Norris - (Blackrock RFC/Leinster)*
    Chloe Pearse - (UL Bohemians/Munster)*
    Lindsay Peat - (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Fiona Reidy - (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Marie-Louise Reilly - (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Sophie Spence - (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Backs
    Niamh Briggs - (UL Bohemians/Munster) Captain
    Liz Burke - (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Nikki Caughey - (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Mairead Coyne - (Galwegians/Connacht)
    Nicole Fowley - (Galwegians/Connacht)*
    Mary Healy - (Galwegians/Connacht)
    Niamh Kavanagh - (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Claire McLaughlin - (Cooke/Ulster)
    Alison Miller - (Old Belvedere/Connacht)
    Larissa Muldoon - (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Sene Naoupu - (Aylesbury Bulls)
    Jackie Shiels - (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Nora Stapleton - (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

3 match package tickets on sale for the autumn internationals - €24 for the three games for seated tickets. Good value.

Good to see another AIL double header this weekend with Blackrock playing Highfield straight after their mens sides play each other. Galwegians and Bohs did same a few weeks back. Really helped improve crowds for ladies game especially

AIL at half way stage now.
    Next round is in two weeks and then its a break until after Christmas
    Bohs are top and unbeaten. Belvedere and Wegians are next and the rest are well back with remaining 5 sides in the division having lost more games than they've won

National side play England in UCD Sunday and follow that game with Canada and New Zealand. Then all irish players will face off with 3 rounds of the interpro championship to help lead into Christmas before AIL starts up again in full after Christmas to lead into the 6 Nations

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/15409.php#.WCCAxE1ijcs

England v France in the Stoop live on Sky Sports tonight
    This is first of 4 AIs for England. Also play us in UCD on 13th then New Zealand in the Stoop on 19th then Canada in Twickenham on 26th which is also live on Sky Sports

IRELAND WOMEN'S Team & Replacements (v England Women, Women's November Series, UCD Bowl, Sunday, November 13, kick-off 2pm):
    15. Mairead Coyne (Galwegians/Connacht)
    14. Niamh Kavanagh (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    13. Nicole Fowley (Galwegians/Connacht) *
    12. Sene Naoupu (Aylesford Bulls)
    11. Alison Miller (Old Belvedere/Connacht)
    10. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    9. Larissa Muldoon (Railway Union)
    1. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)
    2. Cliodhna Moloney (Railway Union/Leinster)
    3. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    4. Marie Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    5. Orla Fitzsimons (St. Mary's/Leinster)
    6. Ciara Griffin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    7. Claire Molloy (Bristol/Connacht)
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (St. Mary's/Leinster) (capt)
    Replacements:
    16. Leah Lyons (Highfield/Munster) *
    17. Fiona Hayes (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    18. Fiona Reidy (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    19. Katie Norris (Blackrock/Leinster)
    20. Chloe Pearse (UL Bohemians/Munster) *
    21. Mary Healy (Galwegians/Connacht)
    22. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union/Ulster)
    23. Jackie Shiels (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

IRELAND WOMEN'S Team & Replacements (v England Women, Women's November Series, UCD Bowl, Sunday, November 13, kick-off 2pm):
    13. Nicole Fowley (Galwegians/Connacht) *
    10. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    9. Larissa Muldoon (Railway Union)
    1. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)
    2. Cliodhna Moloney (Railway Union/Leinster)
    3. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    4. Marie Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    5. Orla Fitzsimons (St. Mary's/Leinster)
    6. Ciara Griffin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    7. Claire Molloy (Bristol/Connacht)
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (St. Mary's/Leinster) (capt)
    Replacements:
    16. Leah Lyons (Highfield/Munster) *
    17. Fiona Hayes (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    18. Fiona Reidy (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    19. Katie Norris (Blackrock/Leinster)
    20. Chloe Pearse (UL Bohemians/Munster) *
    21. Mary Healy (Galwegians/Connacht)
    22. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union/Ulster)
    23. Jackie Shiels (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

If I was interested in attending the match on Sunday, are tickets available at the gate, or do you have to buy via Ticketmaster to ensure you get in?

ionapaul wrote: »
    If I was interesting in attending the match on Sunday, are tickets available at the gate, or do you have to buy via Ticketmaster to ensure you get in?
    I doubt you will need to buy in advance. Should be no problem paying on the day

• Advertisement

Ireland (v Canada):

13. Nicole Fowley (Galwegians/Connacht)
    10. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union/Ulster)
    9. Mary Healy (Galwegians/Connacht)
    1. Fiona Hayes (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    2. Zoe Grattage (Highfield/Munster)
    3. Fiona Reidy (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    4. Katie Norris (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    5. Nichola Fryday (Tullamore RFC/Leinster)
    6. Ciara Cooney (Railway Union/Leinster)
    7. Anna Caplice (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (St. Mary’s/Leinster) (captain)
    Replacements:
    16. Leah Lyons (Highfield/Munster)
    17. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)
    18. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    19. Elaine Anthony (Highfield/Munster)
    20 .Chloe Pearse (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    21. Larissa Muldoon (Railway Union)
    22. Jackie Shiels (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    23. Claire McLaughlin (Cooke/Ulster)

Some more info on interpros which start in 2 weeks.

3/12/16
    Ulster v Munster in Ravenhill, Connacht v Leinster in Tuam
    10/12/16
    Leinster v Ulster in Donnybrook, Munster v Connacht
    17/12/16
    Leinster v Munster in Donnybrook, Connacht v Ulster in Corinthians

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Pretty decent coverage - I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I noticed that a player on the Canada team yesterday was wearing thermal tights. Aren't they banned in matches or was that rule changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I noticed that a player on the Canada team yesterday was wearing thermal tights. Aren't they banned in matches or was that rule changed?
    No not banned, http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=4&language=EN
    Tough lesson yesterday, that Canadian outfit are a serious contender for best team in world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Garfin wrote: »
    No not banned, http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=4&language=EN
    Tough lesson yesterday, that Canadian outfit are a serious contender for best team in world!

oh just mens game its banned in then by the looks.
    Yeah Canada looked very good but you learn more from playing the best so hopefully we'll come out of this series a better side for these 3 games.

Phillip "Goose" Doyle (previous manager of the Irish women) had a scathing comment on Twitter this evening...

Something along the lines of: it's great to build depth but some of the players shouldn't be anywhere near a green jersey.

Unsure how much I agree/disagree with him as I didn't see the game. However many of the same players played last week against England and didn't look too far off the mark - and we have players yet to come back from injury...

I'm also biased as I'm friends with some of the girls so I don't want him to be talking about them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sullivlo wrote: »
    Phillip "Goose" Doyle (previous manager of the Irish women) had a scathing comment on Twitter this evening...

Something along the lines of: it's great to build depth but some of the players shouldn't be anywhere near a green jersey.

Unsure how much I agree/disagree with him as I didn't see the game. However many of the same players played last week against England and didn't look too far off the mark - and we have players yet to come back from injury...

I'm also biased as I'm friends with some of the girls so I don't want him to be talking about them!!!

Some people are very protective of the jersey and they think experimentation in test matches devalues it. It's just one interpretation that people are entitled to have, especially people like him who put so much time and effort into the side and achieved so much.

EDIT: I'm in the same position as you, but the girls should use it as motivation rather than being upset about it, there will always be criticism from outside the system. There was criticism when they won the slam. All you can control is your reaction to it and how it affects you.

• Advertisement

Some people are very protective of the jersey and they think experimentation in test matches devalues it. It's just one interpretation that people are entitled to have, especially people like him who put so much time and effort into the side and achieved so much.

EDIT: I'm in the same position as you, but the girls should use it as motivation rather than being upset about it, there will always be criticism from outside the system. There was criticism when they won the slam. All you can control is your reaction to it and how it affects you.

Ah yeah, i know he is entitled to his opinion and whatnot, I'm just curious as to who he was referring to. From chatting to the girls they're not exactly upset by it. As a squad they have their goals, and they want to build a squad. You can't build a squad when playing 6N. This is the first full autumn series the women have had! Ideal time to experiment when there is little at stake.

Advertisement