Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Great win for the women!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

They could have won by many more. Like aimee1 said, the last 10 mins was played in the Welsh 5m line. Just lack of the ability to be clinical in the red zone.

Phenomenal performance by some. Egan went well (at 3!) and realised what was going wrong in our scrum, which allowed us to steal a few of theirs. Line out misfired lots.

Spence had a great game. As did Fitzpatrick. They were everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Super result given the 7s players missing, some real depth coming now. Well done the girls and the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great result for the women. Hope the boys can do the same tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Advertisement

Wales have got their first pro player. She is a 7s and 15s player and works in RAF and they've done a deal with WRU for her to go pro

IRELAND WOMEN'S Team & Replacements (v France Women, 2016 Women's RBS 6 Nations, Stade Aime Giral, Perpignan, Saturday, February 13, kick-off 9pm local time/8pm Irish time):

15. Niamh Briggs (UL Bohemians/Munster) (capt)
    14. Elise O'Byrne White (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    13. Aine Donnelly (Cill Dara/Leinster)
    12. Sene Naoupu (Galwegians/Connacht)
    11. Mairead Coyne (Galwegians/Connacht)
    10. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union/Ulster)
    9. Larissa Muldoon (Skewen)
    1. Ruth O'Reilly (Galwegians/Connacht)
    2. Cliodhna Moloney (Railway Union/Leinster)

3. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    4. Sophie Spence (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    5. Marie Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    6. Paula Fitzpatrick (Toulouse)
    7. Claire Molloy (Bristol)
    8. Heather O'Brien (Toulouse)
    Replacements:
    16. Zoe Grattage (Tralee/Munster)
    17. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)
    18. Fiona Reidy (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    19. Ciara Cooney (Railway Union/Leinster)
    20. Ciara Griffin (Tralee/Munster)
    21. Mary Healy (Galwegians/Connacht)
    22. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    23. Jackie Shiels (Richmond)

Ireland lost 18-6 in front of over 11000 in Perpignan.

Some club results from the weekend...
    Munster Women's Senior Cup:
    Thurles 0 Highfield 53
    UL Bohemians 49 Clonmel 0

Munster Women's Bowl:
    Shannon-Nenagh 12 Fermoy 5
    Tralee 10 Ballincollig 6

Munster Women's Division 2 League:
    Cashel 22 Bantry Bay 5

Girls Under 18 Cup Final: Shannon 12 Listowel-Tralee 8
    Girls Under 18 Shield Final: Bantry Bay 24 St. Mary's 0
    Girls Under 15 Cup Final: Abbeyfeale 12 Carrick on Suir-Fethard 5
    Girls Under 15 Shield Final: South Cork 10 St. Mary's 36

Women play England in Twickenham after mens game on Saturday.

While the Munster Senior finals are in a double header in Clonmel this weekend
    Cup Final: U.L. Bohs v Highfield 3.15pm
    Plate Final: Thurles v Clonmel, 1.30pm

Team for England.

15. Niamh Briggs (UL. Bohemians/Munster) Captain
    14. Elise O’Byrne-White (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    10. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    1. Ruth O’Reilly (Galwegians/Connacht)
    5. Marie-Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    6. Ciara Griffin (Tralee/Munster)
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (Toulouse)
    Replacements
    17. Fiona Hayes (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    20. Heather O’Brien (Toulouse)
    22. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union/Ulster)

• Advertisement

Team for England.

15. Niamh Briggs (UL. Bohemians/Munster) Captain
    14. Elise O’Byrne-White (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    10. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    1. Ruth O’Reilly (Galwegians/Connacht)
    5. Marie-Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    6. Ciara Griffin (Tralee/Munster)
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (Toulouse)
    Replacements
    17. Fiona Hayes (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    20. Heather O’Brien (Toulouse)
    22. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union/Ulster)

Nice to see Griffin get a start. She has been phenomenal off the bench. And HOB is an unreal player to have on the bench.

And also nice to see Hayes back in too - didn't realise she was in the extended squad - I thought she was still away!

eight personnel changes and three positional switches from team that played England the team that will play Italy Sunday. Kickoff 1pm

15. Kim Flood (Railway Union/Leinster) *
    14. Liz Burke (UL Bohemians/Munster) *
    13. Niamh Briggs (UL Bohemians/Munster) (capt)
    11. Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Connacht)
    10. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union/Ulster)
    9. Mary Healy (Galwegians/Connacht)
    1. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)
    4. Elaine Anthony (Highfield/Munster)
    5. Marie Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    6. Ciara Cooney (Railway Union/Leinster)
    7. Ciara Griffin (Tralee/Munster)
    8. Sophie Spence (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Replacements:

17. Ruth O'Reilly (Galwegians/Connacht)
    19. Claire Molloy (Bristol)
    20. Paula Fitzpatrick (Toulouse)
    21. Larissa Muldoon (Skewen)
    22. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    23. Claire McLaughlin (Queen's University/Ulster) *

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is a disgraceful selection. I can't believe a coach would change so many players for such a vital game against Italy. That's just irresponsible.

:/

This is a disgraceful selection. I can't believe a coach would change so many players for such a vital game against Italy. That's just irresponsible.

:/

Especially since Italy are just after a cracking win against Scotland expected, but still decent. Italy aren't a bad side.

Interesting selections though! Briggs outside Napou could carve up the midfield, and Fitzpatrick is some person to be able to bring off the bench against a tiring pack. Spence can more than do a job at 8! Excited for this. Not sure I'll make it though. Cycling at 9am (90km spin I think) so wouldn't make it into donnybrook.

Ireland won 14-3

Ireland won 14-3

Interesting game. I didn't make it as I'm sick but I streamed it online.

The Italians certainly looked to be the better team in periods. A lot of the first half was spent with Ireland defending.

A few stupid errors from Ireland, again. It was like some of them had butter on their hands, just couldn't keep the ball.

Briggs had an uncharacteristicly quiet game. She had a few errors but nothing shameful. Spence had a solid show at 8, but Ireland were more dominant when Fitzpatrick came on.

Interesting times at the end when Miller went off for a HIA. Replaced by a tight head prop. Molloy went out to the back line and Egan went at flanker.

Line out struggled again.

But all in all a decent show.

seven personnel changes and two positional switches for Scottish game.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/37160.php#.Vush7aOvkdU

Discussions are taking place at 6 Nations Level about how to make the women’s tournament more commercially attractive. Wonder what will be done/what would people like to change??

They need to get creative about getting people watching the games. If they can find an attractive spot with scheduling and get it available via social media it might get people interested. Once people are watching they'll start to trickle through the gates.

seven personnel changes and two positional switches for Scottish game.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/37160.php#.Vush7aOvkdU

Discussions are taking place at 6 Nations Level about how to make the women’s tournament more commercially attractive. Wonder what will be done/what would people like to change??

I think it's moving in the right direction. Look at the France Iteland match. Nearly 14,000 in attendance. Sky Sports are on board and screening the Grand Slam decider tomorrow. Aon had a series of images released today about women's rugby.

The sport is moving in the right direction. It is growing in grassroots and that is reflected in attendance at games. It also shows that the interest is growing. Before, only women's teams went to the women's internationals. Now they bring their boyfriends. Who sometimes bring their friends.

Increasing attendance will increase commercial attractiveness. Easing access to watch matches - showing it on TV - will increase interest and drive commercial attractiveness. There are ranges of women's rugby specific clothing being released - not the women's fit supporters jersies, but actually the clothing that women wear in matches. Companies are supplying women's fit jersies that fit!

Things like LIDL getting on board with ladies GAA will be vital in the growth of women's rugby and commercial attractiveness. I know it's a different sport, but any sort of interest in women's sports will generate interest in any women's sports.

In terms of other things. Attracting sponsors that will actually show up. At a recent game many sponsors seats went empty. Introducing packages for games, similar to the ones available for men's games. Corporate lunches. Incentives.

It's the right direction though.

• Advertisement

They need to get creative about getting people watching the games. If they can find an attractive spot with scheduling and get it available via social media it might get people interested. Once people are watching they'll start to trickle through the gates.
    How would you get creative to get people to watch?
    Finding a spot for scheduling is tricky enough in terms of attracting crowds. Fridays are great but 20s are on Friday nights.
    sullivlo wrote: »
    I think it's moving in the right direction. Look at the France Iteland match. Nearly 14,000 in attendance. Sky Sports are on board and screening the Grand Slam decider tomorrow. Aon had a series of images released today about women's rugby.

The sport is moving in the right direction. It is growing in grassroots and that is reflected in attendance at games. It also shows that the interest is growing. Before, only women's teams went to the women's internationals. Now they bring their boyfriends. Who sometimes bring their friends.

Increasing attendance will increase commercial attractiveness. Easing access to watch matches - showing it on TV - will increase interest and drive commercial attractiveness. There are ranges of women's rugby specific clothing being released - not the women's fit supporters jersies, but actually the clothing that women wear in matches. Companies are supplying women's fit jersies that fit!

Things like LIDL getting on board with ladies GAA will be vital in the growth of women's rugby and commercial attractiveness. I know it's a different sport, but any sort of interest in women's sports will generate interest in any women's sports.

In terms of other things. Attracting sponsors that will actually show up. At a recent game many sponsors seats went empty. Introducing packages for games, similar to the ones available for men's games. Corporate lunches. Incentives.

It's the right direction though.
    Yes its going in the right direction but Ladies Rugby still has a lot to go in terms of grassroots. Numbers playing are going up but attracting sponsors is going to be quite difficult when playing numbers are not that high and especially at age grade and future adult players. Only 3000 or so youth girls playing rugby and 4000 or so adult women playing rugby in clubs.
    LIDL getting on board for Ladies football wont help rugby that much at all. Ive done and still do a bit of work in marketing etc and that just wont generate more interest in sport overall and bounce over to rugby.

How would you get creative to get people to watch?
    Finding a spot for scheduling is tricky enough in terms of attracting crowds. Fridays are great but 20s are on Friday nights.

I would look for Thursdays and Sundays.

They would need to get creative commercially and ensure the games themselves get good exposure, whether that's online or through some broadcast agreement I'm not sure, but there are avenues out there.

They would need to get creative commercially and ensure the games themselves get good exposure, whether that's online or through some broadcast agreement I'm not sure, but there are avenues out there.

Thursdays are crap for people who have to travel to games. Sunday's would be better. Agree about broadcasting though. Maybe some incentives for pubs / clubs / groups to host game watching events? In the same way that they used to provide grants to clubs to drive people from rugby clubs up to the women's internationals.

Could they look at having a double header of games? I think the move to donnybrook has been a positive overall. Seems to be a better attendance.

Thursdays should be a non runner. They don't work commercially as crowds would be affected and if you want to help get more people to watch you should really have ground full or as close as possible
    What is creative commercially?
    Thursdays are crap for people who have to travel to games. Sunday's would be better. Agree about broadcasting though. Maybe some incentives for pubs/clubs/groups to host game watching events? In the same way that they used to provide grants to clubs to drive people from rugby clubs up to the women's internationals.

Could they look at having a double header of games? I think the move to donnybrook has been a positive overall. Seems to be a better attendance.
    How can IRFU incentivise pubs?? They should work more with clubs and clubs should be doing it themselves and be opening up to show games if they have the facilities for bigger games.
    Double header of which games?
    Only shame about move to Donnybrook for womens and 20s is that the only internationals this season that wont have been played in D4 are the clubs international which was played in Cork and some of the upcoming under 18 internationals which are on in Ashbourne

Thursdays should be a non runner. They don't work commercially as crowds would be affected and if you want to help get more people to watch you should really have ground full or as close as possible

Sorry but they do work commercially, the money available from broadcasters (of all kinds) is increased. Just look at what "monday night football" did in the states. They need to prioritise the profile of the side and the game over gates for a period, and Sundays work well anyway so a mixture would be beneficial.

I don't know what is creative commercially, I don't work with the union so I don't know what they can and can't do with their rights or contractually. But they need to work on their profile and that will likely need to be done online given the national broadcaster seem uninterested.

Sorry but they do work commercially, the money available from broadcasters (of all kinds) is increased. Just look at what "monday night football" did in the states. They need to prioritise the profile of the side and the game over gates for a period, and Sundays work well anyway so a mixture would be beneficial.

I don't know what is creative commercially, I don't work with the union so I don't know what they can and can't do with their rights or contractually. But they need to work on their profile and that will likely need to be done online given the national broadcaster seem uninterested.
    Monday Night football worked but Football in States was already very popular and it could cope with moving to a non traditional time. Can Womens rugby do the same considering numbers who do go to games/watch on tv on a Thursday.

Monday Night football worked but Football in States was already very popular and it could cope with moving to a non traditional time. Can Womens rugby do the same considering numbers who do go to games/watch on tv on a Thursday.

That's not why it was moved nor why it was successful actually, but that's a different conversation

It's not about coping with the move, it's about making the games attractive and easily accessible for viewers at less competitive times. Do you have any ideas?

How can IRFU incentivise pubs?? They should work more with clubs and clubs should be doing it themselves and be opening up to show games if they have the facilities for bigger games.
    Double header of which games?
    Only shame about move to Donnybrook for womens and 20s is that the only internationals this season that wont have been played in D4 are the clubs international which was played in Cork and some of the upcoming under 18 internationals which are on in Ashbourne

Double header - look at playing the u20's on the same night. Two games on one after the other.

I think, overall, the move to donnybrook has been a positive. Fair points about internationals being played in d4, but it's the most accessible IMO.

Also you seem very intent on criticising people's brainstorming ideas while not adding very much yourself.

Double header - look at playing the u20's on the same night. Two games on one after the other.

I think, overall, the move to donnybrook has been a positive. Fair points about internationals being played in d4, but it's the most accessible IMO.

Also you seem very intent on criticising people's brainstorming ideas while not adding very much yourself.
    Ive made plenty of points on this issue. Play 20s/Womens internationals in Musgrave/Thomond/Sportsground or Ravenhill.
    Doubt a double header will ever happen. Its most accessible to some but to have all internationals in venues with a radius of about 3/4km if that isn't great.
    To get more crowds in do more deals with teams with girls teams. If you have games in Donnybrook or wherever have girls teams play blitz events on back pitch/a club close by and give them free into game or discounted tickets.

• Advertisement

Ive made plenty of points on this issue. Play 20s/Womens internationals in Musgrave/Thomond/Sportsground or Ravenhill.
    Doubt a double header will ever happen. Its most accessible to some but to have all internationals in venues with a radius of about 3/4km if that isn't great.
    To get more crowds in do more deals with teams with girls teams. If you have games in Donnybrook or wherever have girls teams play blitz events on back pitch/a club close by and give them free into game or discounted tickets.

They do already do deals with clubs with girls and women's teams. They subsidise buses and they offer group discount on tickets.

There is no issue in getting people from within the "women's rugby" family involved. It's looking at getting people who support rugby, but only the Irish men or the Leinster / Munster / Ulster / Connacht teams.

Playing games in Thomond / Musgrave / Sportsgrounds / Kingspan. Munster women played their interpros in Thomand this year. Absolutely woeful turnout, and I think it was even free to enter. Leinster women played in Ashbourne and had more people in attendance than the Munster ladies in Thomand. That's nothing to do with the quality of rugby on show. It's more to do with how 25% of the population / supporters live within a travelling distance of the locations where the sports are played.

Would I get into the car and drive down to Cork to watch an u20's rugby match? Unlikely. Would I go walk up to the office in Donnybrook tonight? Yeah. I would. Because as much as I enjoy rugby, a 3 hour drive is a pain in the neck to watch a game. And yes I know that the 3 hour drive exists for those in other provinces, but I think minority rugby is supported better in Dublin than outside of Dublin, and so there is a better chance of picking up support.

Would I support them playing the games elsewhere? Absolutely. It should be accessible to all at some stage. But ultimately it comes down to money. If the women's games were in Cork, I might travel if it suited. But I feel the same about men's internationals. If they were played in Thomand I would take a view of the costs involved.

Playing internationals outside of d4, for the men anyway, is a contract issue. But I was at the Ireland barbarians game in Thomand a few years ago and it wasn't very well supported. Not saying that the game would have sold out in Dublin, but it's not exactly a good advertisement for moving games if they're not supported by the locals.

Advertisement