Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DaveyDave wrote: »
    He wanted to cut off another vehicle and cross an active lane of traffic to make a turn?

but but but he's entitled to I mean road tax yada yada yada

I'd say someone got a new dash cam to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Even if the cyclist was wrong, you can see him up ahead, best just let him pass and make the turn safely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Even if the cyclist was wrong, you can see him up ahead, best just let him pass and make the turn safely.

Cyclist isn't in the wrong though, he's proceeding straight across a junction in his lane on a green light, this is no different than a driver passing a slower driver on the left and then trying to turn across them at the junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

jimmynokia wrote: »

11 A cyclist should NEVER go up the path side of a large
    vehicle (bus or lorry) even if there is a bike lane there – wait
    until it turns or drives away.

I find it funny that you apply this advice to the scenario shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

liamog wrote: »
    Cyclist isn't in the wrong though, he's proceeding straight across a junction in his lane on a green light, this is no different than a driver passing a slower driver on the left and then trying to turn across them at the junction.

Oh I know, the cyclist is in an active lane. It's a bit like going from the middle lane to exit a motorway across someone. I was just saying *if* they were wrong, even if the driver was in the right, it's not smart to try cut across them. When you're arriving at the junction at the same time it's a fairly predictable situation and easily avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Oh I know, the cyclist is in an active lane. It's a bit like going from the middle lane to exit a motorway across someone. I was just saying *if* they were wrong, even if the driver was in the right, it's not smart to try cut across them. When you're arriving at the junction at the same time it's a fairly predictable situation and easily avoided.

Ahh I get you, I was thinking the best analogy for people who don't see the issues is turning long left over a bus lane.

If you had to make the left turn and there was a bus coming up your inside then you'd hold off to allow the bus to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wtf is going on...

Absolutely nothing to see in that clip

Yep this. Going by the footage he was easily seen and not signalling right, so best for everyone to just keep an eye out and let him go on before turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jimmy Nokia feeling the unlove and realised he was barking up the wrong tree so now gone underground

4 people liked the video on YouTube!!!

What the actual fluck......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Seve OB wrote: »
    Jimmy Nokia feeling the unlove and realised he was barking up the wrong tree so now gone underground

Sadly not. Point here is because of a stupid design and in darker hours it's dangerous so if an accident did occur who's at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Sadly not. Point here is because of a stupid design and in darker hours it's dangerous so if an accident did occur who's at fault

It's actually a surprisingly good design IMO. The problem is you my friend.

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's actually a surprisingly good design IMO. The problem is you my friend.

Don't think so. Let's see how long before something happens and the outcome. Judging by the cycle brigade here they've the right just to carry on. The speed some of them cycle and on dark nights this will be a problem that's all.

Either way car insurance pays as cyclists haven't any unless personal insurance taken out.

The deliveroo gear reflects at night, street lights a plenty in the city and use mirror....

If you are ahead and indicated to turn them no cyclists should pass unless you don't have a turn arrow or full green(circle)
    The onus is on the driver to check it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Don't think so. Let's see how long before something happens and the outcome. Judging by the cycle brigade here they've the right just to carry on. The speed some of them cycle and on dark nights this will be a problem that's all.

speeding cyclists? i doubt they exceed the limit too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I take it Jimmy that's you driving.

Another motorist who lacks any forward thinking.

Where did you think cyclist was going to go?

Why do you think it's acceptable to start turning right across into the cycle lane knowing there was a cyclist coming on your right.

Perhaps you did it deliberately thinking you do have right of way (Which you don't) to see what the cyclist would do. If that's the case shame on you for risking a potential serious injury on the cyclist.

It's motorists like you who need to be given a bike told to cycle around the city. You will experience crap driving like that. May be due to that experience, you're driving might improve.

micar wrote: »
    I take it Jimmy that's you driving.

Another motorist who lacks any forward thinking.

Where did you think cyclist was going to go?

Why do you think it's acceptable to start turning right across into the cycle lane knowing there was a cyclist coming on your right.

Perhaps you did it deliberately thinking you do have right of way (Which you don't) to see what the cyclist would do. If that's the case shame on you for risking a potential serious injury on the cyclist.

It's motorists like you who need to be given a bike told to cycle around the city. You will experience crap driving like that. May be due to that experience, you're driving might improve.

If you look once more driver stopped second how did anyone know where he was going. And lastly I do cycle in fact.

If you look once more driver stopped second how did anyone know where he was going. And lastly I do cycle in fact.

The driver began to turn right before the cyclist passed.

The cyclist is in the left hand cycle lane which has an arrow pointing straight.....there's your clue.

The effect of the driver starting to turn right meant the cyclist cyclist ended up having the move to the right as their safe space was removed.

Were you the driver?

If you are the driver and also a cyclist then you are an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭kirving

100% should be on the driving test.

Right I'll say it... If this clip is as it is and the driver came up and passed the cyclist then car driver definitely needs Togo get some lessons.

I actually can't believe this is getting such a discussion....

• Advertisement

Right I'll say it... If this clip is as it is and the driver came up and passed the cyclist then car driver definitely needs Togo get some lessons.

I actually can't believe this is getting such a discussion....

Cos it's a fine example of a motorist who believes he/she did nothing wrong and if an accident did occur it would be the cyclists fault.

There will be others who see this and think the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very good design. If that is dangerous then so is every 2 lane one way road in the country

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, the point you explicitly made was that you don't feel sorry for food delivery cyclists - you were blaming him, not the road design. put down the goalposts. *and* stop digging, doing both must be tiring.

and the video has gone....

Isambard wrote: »
    and the video has gone....

Jimmy didnt get the support he thought he'd get.

To be fair, motorits should see clips like that. They might actually learn something.

Jimmy didnt get the support he thought he'd get.

To be fair, motorits should see clips like that. They might actually learn something.

I don’t think most people who replied need to learn anything. The cyclist brigade wading in tarring everyone with the same brush probably doesn’t really help, especially when most would agree with you.

The cyclist brigade wading in tarring everyone with the same brush probably doesn’t really help

Those same cyclists like me are also drivers.

"Tarring everyone with the same brush" is exactly what motorists do against cyclists all the time.

You'd be surprised how many motorists who feel it's ok to go past a cyclist to take an immediate left turn.

Those same cyclists like me are also drivers.

"Tarring everyone with the same brush" is exactly what motorists do against cyclists all the time.

You'd be surprised how many motorists who feel it's ok to go past a cyclist to take an immediate left turn.

yes but the point being made is that you can't tar all cyclists with the same brush and yet you seem to be tarring all motorists.

Isambard wrote: »
    yes but the point being made is that you can't tar all cyclists with the same brush and yet you seem to be tarring all motorists.

And I'm sure that really pisses you off.

Don't worry the converse also applies.

• Advertisement

You don’t make it easy.

Advertisement