Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

micar wrote: »
    And I'm sure that really pisses you off.

Don't worry the converse also applies.

It doesn't piss me at all. I treat all road users the same.

It's quite clear what the rules of the road are and the markings were also clear. If you overtake anyone, you don't suddenly veer across their path. This guy didn't seem to even have completed the overtake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

liamog wrote: »
    I feel for the deliveroo rider
    the problem there is he's not 'a deliveroo rider'; not by deliveroo's standards. if there *was* an incident involving him, you can be pretty much guaranteed deliveroo would do a pontius pilate on him, and leave him and/or the other party swinging in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jimmynokia wrote: »
    And lastly I do cycle in fact.

540772.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the gas thing about those compliation videos on that channel is the amount of people who submit videos where *they're* the one acting the utter bellend. 90% of the comments on them are gleeful in pointing this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

the gas thing about those compliation videos on that channel is the amount of people who submit videos where *they're* the one acting the utter bellend. 90% of the comments on them are gleeful in pointing this out.

It has ever been thus.
    Since dashcams began making an income for channels on YouTube, that is.

To be fair, it's 90% of the entertainment value, the videos people post showing themselves in the wrong.

lucalux wrote: »
    It has ever been thus.
    Since dashcams began making an income for channels on YouTube, that is.

To be fair, it's 90% of the entertainment value, the videos people post showing themselves in the wrong.

I don't think dashcam channels do well with money? I think this is what caused Welshdrive to stop, I think the YouTube guidelines find the content too aggressive or whatever. Plus your editing time would increase if you were to mute every song in the background for copyright.

Also I think these clowns drive like that just to be featured in these videos. Their sad 15 minutes of fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't think dashcam channels do well with money? I think this is what caused Welshdrive to stop, I think the YouTube guidelines find the content too aggressive or whatever. Plus your editing time would increase if you were to mute every song in the background for copyright.

Also I think these clowns drive like that just to be featured in these videos. Their sad 15 minutes of fame!

Ah, I was mistaken in that.. I have an adblocker, but just assumed they were monetising the videos.

I fully agree with you, in that it's a "look Mom I'm on TV" kind of vibe I get from some of the submitted clips.
    Anything for those glory days of being on YouTube :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Aussies are always so polite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

quick question - I'm getting a dash cam fitted this week - if you see a dangerous incident - accident etc, do you have to report it? Or do you mind your own business and use it just for your own car.

I seen a couple of people acting the bollocks last week on the M8 - blocking each other, brake checking, one even pushed the other onto the hard shoulder at one stage but I doubt anything would have been done and they would have been long gone had I rang so didn’t bother. I’d just keep it for when you’ve an accident and it’s their fault.

I always save it as I pass a speed trap too in case of a glitch giving me a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

quick question - I'm getting a dash cam fitted this week - if you see a dangerous incident - accident etc, do you have to report it? Or do you mind your own business and use it just for your own car.

You don't have to report it. Maybe if it's someone being driven over you should.
    Guards in Ireland are not as interested in dashcam vids as in other countries.
    You'll still have to call into a local station to make a statement in person and I think you may have to appear as a witness in court if it comes to that.
    They'll also take and keep your SD card I believe.
    It's more hassle than it's worth.

Just upload the video to YouTube and keep it private then send a link to the Gardaí
    that way you keep the SD

Just upload the video to YouTube and keep it private then send a link to the Gardaí
    that way you keep the SD

The Gardai used to require the original SD card as proof that the video hadn't been tampered with in case it was challenged in court. Has that changed?

I always got the feeling that it was the individual's statement at the station that was the trigger for charges to be pressed and that the video evidence supported those charges.
    Have there been any cases where someone was charged (not a friendly call to a house and a "cop yourself on") only on the basis of an uploaded video ?
    I'd be very happy to hear that's now possible.

josip wrote: »
    The Gardai used to require the original SD card as proof that the video hadn't been tampered with in case it was challenged in court. Has that changed?

I always got the feeling that it was the individual's statement at the station that was the trigger for charges to be pressed and that the video evidence supported those charges.
    Have there been any cases where someone was charged (not a friendly call to a house and a "cop yourself on") only on the basis of an uploaded video ?
    I don't know, but if it is serious enough for them to be interested, it would probably be best to keep the SD card to one side if it is requested.
    But sending a youtube link will at least keep it informal unless they are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

that way you keep the SD

Send it to where.... is there an email address? Can you share it? Do they ever reply, even with a "thanks... we'll look in to it"?

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

that way you keep the SD

I've been told by individual Gardai that they don't have access to YouTube on their network. Some have certainly looked at YouTube vids that I've sent' so maybe they did this on their personal device, but I don't think that's an official solution.

Some cycling colleagues have sent videos on Streamable, which is less likely to be blocked.

josip wrote: »

I've never been asked for the original card in 10 years of making Garda reports. Some have accepted links to Google Drive, but that's a while back now. I generally submit the video on USB, which costs me about €4 a pop.

They won't charge or prosecute without a formal statement, in my experience. It's a very cumbersome process, compared to the UK where you can upload and submit online, though it's a bit mad to have a private company owning the portal;

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/
    Muppet Man wrote: »
    Send it to where.... is there an email address? Can you share it? Do they ever reply, even with a "thanks... we'll look in to it"?

MM

There is an email address for each station, but when I tried to use it, I got no response. I got a 'deleted without being read' receipt some years later.

Garda TrafficWatch phone line is the only option for reporting.

They won't charge or prosecute without a formal statement, in my experience ...

Which seems to me that the motoring law/enforcement hasn't changed in any way to handle dashcam captures.

All the dascam vid is, is an additional piece of evidence to support your formal statement.
    The vid supports the statement, not the statement supports the vid?

• Advertisement

Dublin 15 last week... this is the second time this has happened to me on this stretch road. I Will report to Blanch to see if they will at least explain the rules of the road to this moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Dublin 15 last week... this is the second time this has happened to me on this stretch road. I Will report to Blanch to see if they will at least explain the rules of the road to this moron.

Why did you nearly stop though and then move again?
    I take it you were turning right there?
    Bad driving of the golf driver either way....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why did you nearly stop though and then move again?
    I take it you were turning right there?
    Bad driving of the golf driver either way....

Ehh he slowed down going over the speed hump

Ya two speed bumps... and then preparing to turn right....

I really like those kind of speed bumps.
    If you're paying attention and are able to steer your car, you don't have to slow down since they're the same width as a standard wheelbase.
    If your mind is not on the road or your line isn't good, they'll grab your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ehh he slowed down going over the speed hump

A speed bump which didn't even move the car as they took it right so wheels hardly touch.....

No need to near stop to go over one of those.

These don't look like your typical bus cushion ones that you don't notice, they look like the newer ones that you absolutely have to slow down for. There's hard plastic ones near me that give the car a harsh bump no matter what angle or speed I go over them. Judging from the video it definitely looks like they felt it even at a lower speed.

Regardless, solid white line and past junction, what a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I (and the car in front) had a close-ish one today :eek:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^ best video I've seen posted here in years...

lucky you both got away without serious damage.

• Advertisement

That’s about as close as you possibly get away with.

Advertisement