Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm partial to a bit of Quark. Not least because it affords me the opportunity to make physics puns about the flavour.

Was in a supermarket recently- likely either Dunnes or Aldi - and saw 'Fitness Quark' and something about the high protein. Ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's too cold to go back out for the gym :S

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    it's too cold to go back out for the gym :S

It was bizarrely warm today here. 15 degrees and sunny.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I train early in the morning and can get over a freezing cold barbell being in my hands. But freezing cold barbell on my back is just horrific.

I wish my gym got barbell warmers

I train early in the morning and can get over a freezing cold barbell being in my hands. But freezing cold barbell on my back is just horrific.

I wish my gym got barbell warmers

Invest in a protein jumper.

• Advertisement

Was just watching this...kinda seemed apt for the day that's in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Interesting article published a couple of weeks ago (open access)

The effects of exercise variation in muscle thickness, maximal strength and motivation in resistance trained men
    "Varying exercise selection had a positive effect on enhancing motivation to train in resistance-trained men, while eliciting similar improvements in muscular adaptations."
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0226989

The effects of exercise variation in muscle thickness, maximal strength and motivation in resistance trained men
    "Varying exercise selection had a positive effect on enhancing motivation to train in resistance-trained men, while eliciting similar improvements in muscular adaptations."

Makes sense. Also says that too frequent changing has a negative impact on muscle development, which also makes sense. Probably something many a good PT has had to consider for a years...how to keep a new trainee interested without compromising results too much

Change alleviates boredom?

Edit: can’t get a smiley face to work on my phone so my comment seems snarky.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Change alleviates boredom?

Edit: can’t get a smiley face to work on my phone so my comment seems snarky.

Someone made a similar comment (with added snark) to Brad Schoenfeld at the time, i.e. that that idea had been put out there a long time, but he just said that wasn't a reason to not study it (and get another paper published)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can't remember the last time I had DOMS this bad, I didn't even foam roll, it was more of a foam-lie, applying pressure had me in agony on the plus side I reckon going to the gym has assisted my recovery and I'm going to go again tonight, the hope is it'll loosen me out a bit

I’m now the owner/operator of ice skates. I’m skating every weekend, usually on a 400m speed skating track. It’s brilliant exercise once you get the technique. My calf’s and hams are on fire every week.

Nowhere near as hard on the knees or ankles as running.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I slipped on ice this morning and broke a plastic bucket with my face.....are we ice friends now?

JJayoo wrote: »
    I slipped on ice this morning and broke a plastic bucket with my face.....are we ice friends now?

We're not ice friends................... we're ice BROTHERS.

https://images.app.goo.gl/VVhRkUnkkadbJTJW7

Edit: I can't get this image to embed

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw 4kg kettlebells for €5 in dealz. And 2 wheel ab rollers. I didn't see the resistance bands but may have missed them, and there was blow up yoga ball things. I think they are all a fiver each.

I lifted a kettlebell and there was a slight seam on the handle which sandpaper would probably smooth out OK. I have no idea if the shape was decent.

(not my pics)

80996843_10220159911008831_3155074278332825600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=97uWel-xzKsAX8JHpEH&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=481c2c0fb42cc927a411dbdcd0e824bf&oe=5EC8F277

80629311_10220167629121779_9195962856946794496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=BrpE6__VZLwAX8MixPw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f88f06cc2e5435a2985a46330a214c48&oe=5EC8DA03

81193683_10220199290513294_6257099341123551232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=QLzkackXQcsAX9IP4WP&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f20daa6bdb5060b2cbe47da9e94fc2e1&oe=5E8E9242

Tip o' the cap to the chap who made sure to have his lifting belt on properly for his seated calf raises.

Not joking.

It takes all sorts...so they say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Cheers buddy about time people noticed my coolnessness

JJayoo wrote: »
    Cheers buddy about time people noticed my coolnessness

You made sure no one could miss it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hi all, newbie here (at least, haven't been by since 2011 so good as :o :pac: )

I have a calorie tracking question

So I've been back on the fitness train for a few weeks. Lost my fitbit last summer and currently don't have funds to replace it (though hopefully soon!)
    I use Google Fit to count my steps on my phone

When I go to the gym for cardio, the machines will give a number for calories burned, google fit will give another, and MyFitnessPal gives another completely different number. For example, I did 30 min on the bike today, avg 90rpm, low-medium resistance, 17.39km. Bike says 160 cal, Google Fit says 291, MyFitnessPal says 349. The numbers aren't even close.

Which numbers can I trust when they're so different? I'm thinking I should count the low end, as my main goal is weightloss at the moment I don't want to overestimate my burned calories, but I also want chocolate so... :pac: Obviously having a watch would be ideal, but in the meantime, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hi all, newbie here (at least, haven't been by since 2011 so good as :o :pac: )

I have a calorie tracking question

So I've been back on the fitness train for a few weeks. Lost my fitbit last summer and currently don't have funds to replace it (though hopefully soon!)
    I use Google Fit to count my steps on my phone

When I go to the gym for cardio, the machines will give a number for calories burned, google fit will give another, and MyFitnessPal gives another completely different number. For example, I did 30 min on the bike today, avg 90rpm, low-medium resistance, 17.39km. Bike says 160 cal, Google Fit says 291, MyFitnessPal says 349. The numbers aren't even close.

Which numbers can I trust when they're so different? I'm thinking I should count the low end, as my main goal is weightloss at the moment I don't want to overestimate my burned calories, but I also want chocolate so... :pac: Obviously having a watch would be ideal, but in the meantime, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Go with the lowest. Better to underestimate the calories burned in general.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I appreciate it! I know I shouldn't be eating my exercise calories but sometimes ya just need a lil something :pac:

Cheers, I appreciate it! I know I shouldn't be eating my exercise calories but sometimes ya just need a lil something :pac:

And that's why its safer to use the lowest. You can assess it over time and results will give you an idea of whether or not you can add in some more calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For example, I did 30 min on the bike today, avg 90rpm, low-medium resistance, 17.39km. Bike says 160 cal, Google Fit says 291, MyFitnessPal says 349. The numbers aren't even close.

Which numbers can I trust when they're so different?

The bike value is based on the actual watts you were producing. So would usually be most accurate. Looks like about the 100 watt mark.
    The other are averages based on subjective terms like light effort and high intensity. I got 200caks from MFP. So I’d guess you overestimated the effort.

Mellor wrote: »
    The bike value is based on the actual watts you were producing. So would usually be most accurate. Looks like about the 100 watt mark.
    The other are averages based on subjective terms like light effort and high intensity. I got 200caks from MFP. So I’d guess you overestimated the effort.

Perfect, thanks! :) Felt like moderate effort but guess it was only light :pac: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Perfect, thanks! :) Felt like moderate effort but guess it was only light :pac: :o

Easy to do. You’ve know what of knowing how each is defined.
    I’m usually pretty comfortable using the machine values on bikes, rowers.
    Treadmills abd similar not so accurate.

True enough! I prefer the rower anyway, but don't feel like I can do it every day. Currently doing rower 4x a week and bike every day. Going to start adding in some strength training next week as well. Wish me luck :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

No talk about Thor pulling 501kg?

• Advertisement

No talk about Thor pulling 501kg?

I tried but Boards is so slow on my phone and gave up looking on this thread.

I assumed there might be talk in the Conor McGregor thread since Thor wasnts a big money fight now.

Looked to have more in him but I thought that of Eddie Hall when he pulled the 500 but, as time passed, that looks less likely.

Advertisement