Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I hear ye - apparently your arm span is meant to be the same as your height - I am 5 7" and my arm span is just over 5 10" :(

I feel you brother. I’m 6ft 3 and my arms are over 6 5. That’s a lot of arm.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

He doesn't look like he has particularly short arms in person

aff188bca8fb24bec05269aacf5fc5ca-full.jpg

Not T-Rex short anyway

I suppose it’s subjective. They ain’t long.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    I suppose it’s subjective. They ain’t long.

Nope. But not especially short.

Still though...over 500kg. The insanity of it all.

I hear ye - apparently your arm span is meant to be the same as your height - I am 5 7" and my arm span is just over 5 10" :(

Should be good for your deadlift so. Or does the knuckle dragging work against it?

Nope. But not especially short.

Still though...over 500kg. The insanity of it all.

It’s absolutely mental.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Is it common in the gyms you go to for people to bench without a spotter? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use one in mine, even when people are benching serious weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it common in the gyms you go to for people to bench without a spotter? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use one in mine, even when people are benching serious weight.
    I rarely, if ever, use a spotter.
    If I'm going for 5 reps, I've already 3repped it or higher. So I judge by how grindy the 4th rep is whether or not to go for 5th. sometime I might come up short, but that's usualy a stall halfway up and I can rack to the lower pegs.

Maybe if I was going for a big 1RM and was a completely new weight, and the bench had no safeties.
    Most guys getting spotted on 12 rep sets are doing so because they can;t lift the weight unassisted.

I never use a spotter. I might if I was going for a PR and I knew the person and that they wouldn't make a balls of spotting.

If there are safeties, you can let them do their job if needed. No safeties, I'd possibly ask a spotter if I was going for a PR.

That said, I wouldn't call my max a serious weight. But it's all relative.

Mellor wrote: »
    I rarely, if ever, use a spotter.
    If I'm going for 5 reps, I've already 3repped it or higher. So I judge by how grindy the 4th rep is whether or not to go for 5th. sometime I might come up short, but that's usualy a stall halfway up and I can rack to the lower pegs.

Maybe if I was going for a big 1RM and was a completely new weight, and the bench had no safeties.
    Most guys getting spotted on 12 rep sets are doing so because they can;t lift the weight unassisted.

Same here. Most benches have safeties these days. If you know how to set them right there's almost zero risk.

Trust me, I've slid out from a number of attempted PRs

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Brian? wrote: »
    I feel you brother. I’m 6ft 3 and my arms are over 6 5. That’s a lot of arm.

I’m 6’1 and my reach is 6’6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m 6’1 and my are 6’6

Ah here, do you have three arms or sth?? :D

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m 6’1 and my are 6’6

27541758079_a7ae022560_b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can safely say iv never checked that ratio
    Must go get a measuring tape

Probably late to this particular party but it seems that Jeff Cavaliere (Athlean-X) joined the fake weights gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Always found him to be a bellend, just repeats the same sh1t over and over.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Always found him to be a bellend, just repeats the same sh1t over and over.

I haven't persevered with his videos long enough to have an opinion either way.

But when you get called out for fake weights after a beltless double with 225kg the way to prove people wrong is not to put up a video of a beltless single with 192.5kg with the kind of form you warn people about

Just back into the gym a few weeks ago after over a decade off.. Been watching some YT videos and am starting to kind of doubt how useful a lot of the content is.

Athlean-X guy basically says that everything you're doing is wrong, and the comments are fawning over him. Is he just making content for the sake of making money? Feels like if you laid out all his advice in a spreadsheet, it would be a complete mess.

Thinking of just ignoring all that for a good few months until I have need for looking at specific content.

My post from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Athlean-x's video thumbnails are enough to not take his stuff seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

My post from last year.

Not sure if you have found better info since then, but just in case.. Some much better resources than the Athlean guy:

Greg Nuckols / Stronger by Science
    Elite FTS
    Chad Wesley Smith / Juggernaut
    Mike Israetel
    Jim Wendler
    Barbell Logic
    Barbell Medicine
    Starting Strength
    Alan Thrall

Cill94 wrote: »
    Not sure if you have found better info since then, but just in case.. Some much better resources than the Athlean guy:

Elite FTS
    Mike Israetel
    Jim Wendler
    Barbell Logic
    Barbell Medicine
    Starting Strength
    Alan Thrall

Rippetoe also does some BDSM erotica if you need to double-up on resources for that...

• Advertisement

Rippetoe also does some BDSM erotica if you need to double-up on resources for that...

Must be why he keeps a machete in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Elite FTS

Mike Israetel
    Jim Wendler
    Barbell Logic
    Barbell Medicine
    Starting Strength
    Alan Thrall

Strong seconding to the ones in bold. Never heard of Barbell Logic. BBM people apart from Feigenbaum seem good. I've seen mostly good stuff from Israetel but some people seem to get way to caught up in the weeds following his volume recommendations.

Not a fan of Rippetoe and from what I've seen a lot of SS coaches are way to dogmatic about something they really shouldn't be.

Other people I've found to have good content, Brian Alsruhe, Eric Helms, John Meadows, Australian Strength Coach (on instagram) and the Hybrid Performance (Stefi Cohen) crew although I wouldn't watch every video each of them do apart from maybe Alsruhe.

A lot of strength athletes have their own channels now as well but mostly seem to be vlogs with less directly informative content.

Must be why he keeps a machete in the gym.

And why the Starting Strength Bench is just a slab of wood.

Strong seconding to the ones in bold. Never heard of Barbell Logic. BBM people apart from Feigenbaum seem good. I've seen mostly good stuff from Israetel but some people seem to get way to caught up in the weeds following his volume recommendations.

Not a fan of Rippetoe and from what I've seen a lot of SS coaches are way to dogmatic about something they really shouldn't be.

Other people I've found to have good content, Brian Alsruhe, Eric Helms, John Meadows, Australian Strength Coach (on instagram) and the Hybrid Performance (Stefi Cohen) crew although I wouldn't watch every video each of them do apart from maybe Alsruhe.

Good additions there.

I don't 100% agree with any single source I listed by the way. But if you look at the broad message, they all agree on the basics. Everyone is pretty much doing the same thing, with some minor differences.

And most importantly, they would all never be caught dead lifting fake weights for social media clout.

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own.” - Wise karate man

Remember that Six Pack Shortcuts lad? He was gas. Remember reading something about him spending thousands per day on advertising, which explained why he was everywhere. His actual content was hilariously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Remember that Six Pack Shortcuts lad? He was gas. Remember reading something about him spending thousands per day on advertising, which explained why he was everywhere. His actual content was hilariously bad.

Absolute car crash in the end, it was just shocking.

Yep. Now he's been replaced by V Shred.

After a few years those guys disappear when their audience realise they've been had. You can only con people once.

Yep. Now he's been replaced by V Shred.

After a few years those guys disappear when their audience realise they've been had. You can only con people once.

And wasn't V Shred accused of copying Athlean-x's videos?

Jesus, it's all the same recycled nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sebastian Orb has some nice videos on setup for main lifts and his gym looks so nice and shiny.

• Advertisement

I don't post here often, and haven't been on in a while, but what's the craic with rowing machines? Have they been banned or something?

Can't find them anywhere for sale, especially not the Concept ones. I found a few sites that do rental, and I can't even rent one. Has everyone gone mad buying them up because they can't get to the gym? (I'm assuming not - as I never seen anyone using them anytime I ever went to the gym anyway).

I need to lose a little weight off my belly. And back. And arms, legs, thighs, chest, ankles, ass and chin, so was considering getting a concept2 rower, as I figured if i got fed up with it after a few months I'd sell it on without losing much on it as they tend to hold their value a good bit.

Advertisement