Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

'All for the want of a horseshoe nail...'

Fine Gael's arrogance, their comeuppance once again. All Leo had to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fine Gael set to take TD Maria Bailey off general election ticket

Just waiting now on the one time stalwart hardcore "Maria Bailey is exonerated" fans to now become turncoat "Maria Bailey's worse than Hitler" crew once she's pissing outside the tent.

The next few weeks will be interesting.

It couldn’t have gone any other way.
    Lose / lose for them.
    This way is damage limitation as they have finally dealt with the issue.
    Better late than never thinking.

Lose / lose for them.

Too late long ago. Now it's like their hand was forced by their own. No better late than never in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lose / lose for them.

Damage limitation wha:confused:

Leo tried to bury this story and hoped it would go away, first by the report, then by saying the report (which no one was allowed to see) exonerated her, on the same day BoJo was making headline news.

"She's been punished enough" said the law and order keepers - we will be slapping her wrist by a token demotion.

Leo didn't have the balls to deal with it in the beginning, nor as time went on, even if she is gone , she'll not be gone due to the leadership within FG, she's gonna be off the ticket due to the grassroot local members who have forced their hand.

Still lose lose though, for all we know this is only the beginning of the real messy bit, bailey and Madigan in an MTV celebrity death match video would be brilliant fun altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Lose / lose for them.

Besides Bailey and Farrell, the person most damaged by this is Leo. His leadership looks extremely weak now. Coveney pulled a stroke by ensuring Bailey did not lose the whip. I don't think that was Coveney being clever but it will work out in his favour in the long run even though Leo is the more capable politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wonder will it be Senator Maria Bailey??? Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Almost certainly yes she will be headed there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is anyone defending her? This was always how this was going to play out, the numbers in the Dáil are too tight to lose another TD, wait for things to go quiet, let her be deselected by "the party" and then resolve it as solved without putting too many peoples noses out of joint. I posted exactly that on the previous thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110769169&postcount=6906

Hopefully it's just "max outrage on the internet" that leads people to expect dramatics, the reality of politics is very different :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

BattleCorp wrote: »

Yes she will be rewarded by Fine Gael for a bona fides insurance claim and dodgy expense claims with a seat in the yet unreformed Seanad.

I see her future political career mirroring that of Fidelma Healy Eames, another quality FG politician who liked free money at taxpayer expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Almost certainly yes she will beheaded

fixed that error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

BattleCorp wrote: »

I don’t think Leo will get away with rewarding what many voters would consider to be bad or even criminal behavior.
    Can’t see him sticking his neck out again by trying that.
    Hari Kari Leo if he tries.

astrofool wrote: »

Hopefully it's just "max outrage on the internet" that leads people to expect dramatics, the reality of politics is very different :)

Are you familiar with the story at all? There was obviously some discontentment off the internet.
    Why 'hopefully'? The public outcry at Fine Gael arrogance and self entitlement a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are you familiar with the story at all? There was obviously some discontentment off the internet.
    Why 'hopefully'? The public outcry at Fine Gael arrogance and self entitlement a bad thing?

Because it's politics and politicians have done many times worse and survived, it's a great sign that she's likely being deselected (and how it's being done is very politically astute), but this thread just screams faux outrage at every turn, or massive naiveté.

I hope people realise that the calls for her head at the time this came out, followed by a government collapse, would have been installing Micheál Martin, ex-very failed health minister and overseer of the crash, as the Taoiseach.

Because it's politics and politicians have done many times worse and survived, it's a great sign that she's likely being deselected (and how it's being done is very politically astute), but this thread just screams faux outrage at every turn, or massive naiveté.

Well rest assure it's not faux at all. We aren't wasting internet ink ;)

It's important you know the credibility and ethics of those in office.
    Can you point to any naivety? All there is is people commenting on the PR balls up and expecting Maria to get a senate seat or some such.

Astute? Varadkar and Fine Gael are too arrogant. This affair pretty much sums it up.

A sub par attempt from the sub bench at 'move along, nothing to see here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I hope people realise that the calls for her head at the time this came out, followed by a government collapse, would have been installing Micheál Martin, ex-very failed health minister and overseer of the crash, as the Taoiseach.

And FG, despite nearly a decade in power have presided over a massive housing and rental crisis, healthcare crisis, scandal after scandal, waste and incompetence.

:rolleyes:

There's a reason why FF are always re-elected and have historically been the main party in the country... because FG (who are only ever elected as a protest vote) remind us that they're actually worse!

FF (inevitably) being reinstalled isn't the fault of the "people calling for her head/government collapse" - the responsibility for that can be squarely laid at FG's doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭jmreire

Quote:- "Because it's politics and politicians have done many times worse and survived," Unquote.
    That's all the more reason to call them out when they do thing's like this. If it happens often enough , then maybe we will start to get a better, more honest type of politician. Moral's and honesty seem to be in very short supply in Irish Politician's...Say what you like about the British Government, but when they get caught out in "dubious" business, they either resign, or get fired,and it's not unknown for them to see the inside of a prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Leo is a failed health minister too. And he a doctor and all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

pablo128 wrote: »
    Leo is a failed health minister too. And he a doctor and all.

I'm no Leo fan, but all health ministers in Ireland in this generation have been a failure.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And FG, despite nearly a decade in power have presided over a massive housing and rental crisis, healthcare crisis, scandal after scandal, waste and incompetence.

:rolleyes:

There's a reason why FF are always re-elected and have historically been the main party in the country... because FG (who are only ever elected as a protest vote) remind us that they're actually worse!

FF (inevitably) being reinstalled isn't the fault of the "people calling for her head/government collapse" - the responsibility for that can be squarely laid at FG's doorstep.

None of the political parties in Ireland are to be trusted, and FG are one of the worst, but FF are the worst by far.
    FG's are amateurs at corruption. FF kers don't mess about with petty personal injury claims, they go for millions.
    It's actually a sign of how incompetent and petty she is.
    Like a petty wanna be low life criminal versus one who has at least the brains and ability to scalp the big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

high_king wrote: »
    I'm no Leo fan, but all health ministers in Ireland in this generation have been a failure.

On a good note, I got a call today from the hospital. They can fit me in next week for my hernia operation. 3 and a half years on the waiting list. Not bad.

• Advertisement

On a good note, I got a call today from the hospital. They can fit me in next week for my hernia operation. 3 and a half years on the waiting list. Not bad.

Best of luck, hope you don't have to go trolly surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

TimHorton wrote: »
    She will pull out and the compensation is a term in the Seanad , Its the FG way..
    An absolute shoe in and I called it 2 weeks ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    healthcare crisis, scandal after scandal
    In fairness, i cannot remember a time when healthcare was not in crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Harris is doing a good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,663 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You'll get a call Monday saying it is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Can you please give a detailed analysis as to how you arrived at this conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

was there a golden generation where the health service was concerned? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

He has the largest Health budget at his disposal and yet services are declining, waiting lists and people on trolleys are increasing and this is despite more people than ever having private health insurance.

That's terrible top level management, and this is before considering the numerous health scandals during his tenure.

You must have very low standards.

He has the largest Health budget at his disposal and yet services are declining, waiting lists and people on trolleys are increasing and this is despite more people than ever having private health insurance.

That's terrible top level management, and this is before considering the numerous health scandals during his tenure.

You must have very low standards.

it's not really at his 'disposal' - that's a ridiculous thing to say

The HSE burns through the budget every year and then some - what's increasing is the cost of the HSE - Simon Harris isn't allocating extra funds to solve problems or improve a whole lot - he's being bound by the monster that the HSE is into allocating extra funds just to keep the doors open

• Advertisement

It's incredible that Michael Martin is still a figure in Irish politics... his legacy (the HSE) should have been more than enough to bury any politician forever

Advertisement