Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The greenway is so good, that when you hit the perfectly adequate tar and chipped surface section near Athlone you feel disappointed...
    I wonder are Westmeath CoCo going to tarmac the macadam parts of the Royal canal? It's fine to cycle on in skinny tyres, bar a few parts which aren't rolled/rammed as firm as the rest. I suspect frost damage will loosen the macadam over time.
    Also have they any plans to change the gates between Mary Lynches and Mullingar, which are a nuisance to have to stop get off the bike to navigate.

Also I wonder what the plans are to traverse Athlone are with the Greenway stopping at the outskirts. It's a narrow bike unfriendly town to get across the shannon, or else cycle across on the Bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Also I wonder what the plans are to traverse Athlone are with the Greenway stopping at the outskirts.

The next section is along the same the railway alignment as far as Dunnes in Montree, then down to the marina and a new bridge across the Shannon.

The Waterford Dungarvan Greenway is shaping up very nicely
    https://www.facebook.com/deise.greenway/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The Waterford Dungarvan Greenway is shaping up very nicely
    https://www.facebook.com/deise.greenway/

Brilliant photos. This looks likely a very classy route :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm planning on giving the midlands greenway a go during the summer, I'll be coming from Dublin on the train. Can anyone advise if I wanted to do a 40-50km cycle with the majority along the new greenway what start and finish points should I look at that have train stations?

• Advertisement

Athlone-Mullingar is 40 k, and there's a train station at both towns. Maybe start in Athlone, then you could add a spin along the canal (and back) at Mullingar if you want to go over the 40k.

Athlone-Mullingar is 40 k, and there's a train station at both towns. Maybe start in Athlone, then you could add a spin along the canal (and back) at Mullingar if you want to go over the 40k.

Its more likely that you'll have the wind at your back going this direction.
    There's a tarmac section along the canal around Mullingar too, and a parallel canal route from Ballinea bridge to Mullingar alongside the Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hardy_buck

Nice breakdown of where things are at here:

http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2016/05/you-asked-whats-going-on-with-dublin.html?m=1

Shame to see such opposition from the Galway farmers, it seems some of them want to cut their nose to spite their face here. You just have to look at the success of their fellow Galweigans along the wild Atlantic way to see how transformative this could be to everywhere along the route.

Hopefully there's progress soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So it is looking like we will have most of the Dublin to Athlone section complete by late 2017 but the Athlone to Galway segment is likely to take a fair bit longer due to landowners objections. Hopefully these get resolved soon but with sixty odd percent of east Galway farmers objecting it might take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sounds like they smell a payout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

hardy_buck wrote: »
    Nice breakdown of where things are at here:

http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2016/05/you-asked-whats-going-on-with-dublin.html?m=1

Shame to see such opposition from the Galway farmers, it seems some of them want to cut their nose to spite their face here. You just have to look at the success of their fellow Galweigans along the wild Atlantic way to see how transformative this could be to everywhere along the route.

Hopefully there's progress soon!

There's more to the story than meets the eye. Apparently quite a few of the landowners were very pro greenway but wanted the route to hug the boundaries of fields and to minimise farm dissection but county councils wouldn't hear any of it and wanted one way and one way only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

yer man! wrote: »
    There's more to the story than meets the eye. Apparently quite a few of the landowners were very pro greenway but wanted the route to hug the boundaries of fields and to minimise farm dissection but county councils wouldn't hear any of it and wanted one way and one way only.

Some sort of compromise is probably fair. A greenway that swings 90 degrees every time it meets a stone wall would be a pain to cycle but it's not right to leave farmers with half an acre on one side and 10 on the other. It'll take work to realign field boundaries after the route goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Is there a map that shows all the current or existing greenways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

stoneill wrote: »
    Is there a map that shows all the current or existing greenways?

http://www.irishgreenways.com/ has a map but its missing some open ones - Deise Greenway on the Waterford-Dungarvan line and the Burtonport one which is more walking than cycling suited; as well as proposed ones like the full Burtonport-Letterkenny one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Markcheese

MJohnston wrote:
    Sounds like they smell a payout

A lot of the farmers dont want a payout.. they're just very nervous of change..
    To be fair a new track going through a large dairy farm could be a pain in the ass, not to say it cant be sorted out.. decent cattle grids -underpasses-signage rerouting and probably a pay out could sort it ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

My hypothetical future scenario is this:

1) A greenway exists so that someone can cycle from Sligo to Galway along the Western Rail Corridor.
    2) A group of 7 French tourists want to cover this route.
    3) Time constraints mean they can only cycle the Western Rail Corridor, and not cycle across the country to get to it.

How do they get their bikes and gear from their port of landing (Dublin Airport, Rosslare) to the starting point of the cycle route in Sligo?

Are the busses capable of carrying so many bikes (if any)? I know Irish Rail will take a certain number of bikes on certain services but I’m not aware of any trains that are properly kitted out for carrying cyclists?
    Are there any plans under consideration to back up and support the future cycling tourists?

*Full disclosure: I am a fan of greenways and use them weekly.

I remember going from Dublin to Kerry on the bus in the 90's with 3 loaded bikes, there was no issue with 3 bikes on an old style lift the luggage hold style door coaches BÉ had then. I'd imagine the newer automatic lift luggage hold coaches are even simpler.
    7 bikes should be no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

I remember going from Dublin to Kerry on the bus in the 90's with 3 loaded bikes, there was no issue with 3 bikes on an old style lift the luggage hold style door coaches BÉ had then. I'd imagine the newer automatic lift luggage hold coaches are even simpler.
    7 bikes should be no bother.

Is there space enough in them when you include all the luggage from other customers?
    It'd be a pain to find that there's only space for 3 bikes and the rest have to wait till the next day. Although I suppose that's how it goes.

The Deise Greenway has opened from Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan

This gem of a post from the waterford city forum caught my eye

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Deise Greenway has opened from Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan

This gem of a post from the waterford city forum caught my eye

The link does not work.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greenway planned for the Blessington Lakes: http://wicklow.ie/development-greenway-blessington

crushed stone...hmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Crushed stone does not show the blood left by cyclists who fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is cyclists falling off bikes a common phenomenon?

:confused:

Crushed stone can be uneven and a bit dodgy for road or hybrid bikes, Sams probably referring to how likely it will be to cause a few cycling injuries.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Crushed stone can be uneven and a bit dodgy for road or hybrid bikes, Sams probably referring to how likely it will be to cause a few cycling injuries.

Or if you like, turn a minor spill into a hospital case.

If I come off my bike (heaven forbid) I would not like it to be on crushed stone. Nor would I like to try and cycle any distance or at any high speed on crushed stone as the resistance would be horrible.

Smooth tarmac is the only surface for bikes on a greenway. Greenway is not cyclecross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

What is crushed stone, from google images it looks like gravel?:eek:

• Advertisement

Crushed stone tracks near me are unsuitable for even my minor asthma in dry weather - the amount of dust they fire up is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Hexen

Deedsie wrote: »
    What would the difference in cost be between a crushed stone cycle track v tarmac cycle track plus upkeep?

According to Sustrans, costs of constructing bound and unbound trails are broadly similar. However:
    Based on a whole life comparison, unbound surfaces [limestone, gravel] are at least 50% more expensive than bound surfaces [tarmac, etc.]. However, there are many factors that can accelerate the rate of wear on an unbound path, which would make the cost difference even greater.
    Cycle Path Surface Options

Further:
    Sustrans initially surfaced many off-road sections of the National Cycle Network with unbound limestone or granite dust surfaces, which were considered most economic and more environmentally friendly at the time. Experience over the last 15-20 years or so has shown however that already significant path sections have suffered erosion, rutting, ponding or other damage that make these paths very unattractive and unusable in very wet weather conditions. Annual maintenance requirements for unbound surfaces are generally higher than for bound surfaces.

They estimate the total cost for 50 year life cycle of a bound path at £120 per m2 and for an unbound path at £170 m2.

trouble a-brewin' over the Barrow greenway: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/major-battle-brewing-over-controversial-plan-for-115km-cycle-path-on-river-35389268.html

I'm not a huge fan of black asphalt on rural paths - it's fine for cycling on, but I prefer something more rustic for walking (while still cyclable with the appropriate tyres). Rolled grit maybe, but as pointed out it requires more maintenance (which it's unlikely to get in Ireland where nothing is ever maintained) and is more expensive in the long run.

What about the coloured asphalt that you see in some places? I think Phoenix Park has it on the cycle paths, it's a green colour, like this:

dsc_0003b.jpg

I wonder if there's any appetite to build some cycle super highways here like they are in London. Seems like such a good option in the cities.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/routes-and-maps/cycle-superhighways

yer man! wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any appetite to build some cycle super highways here like they are in London. Seems like such a good option in the cities.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/routes-and-maps/cycle-superhighways

well we have the route along the Grand Canal and planning is well advanced for a similar route on the north quays. The route along the coast from Sutton to Clontarf is nearly complete too though sadly the planned route along the Dodder has been put on the long finger.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    well we have the route along the Grand Canal and planning is well advanced for a similar route on the north quays. The route along the coast from Sutton to Clontarf is nearly complete too though sadly the planned route along the Dodder has been put on the long finger.

Ah yes I know the grand canal one, that does look great in fairness. Just saw the north quays design, that would be fantastic. I do imagine this would cause significant resistance however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Minister Sean Canney's spinning of 18 months of behind the scenes hard work on behalf of a range of stakeholders, front page of Connaught Tribune, and facilitating a half-cocked presentation to Tuam Municipal Council ( not even on the route) in what seems to be a deliberate attempt at a spoiler against the Athenry-Tuam rail proposal has put the Dublin-Galway campaign firmly on the defensive again. "Greenway has now become a dirty word among farming community" IFA County Chairman.
    http://connachttribune.ie/alternative-greenway-route-link-historical-sites-across-east-county-487

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

There was uproar among the farming community when it was originally proposed to bring a
    from Ballinasloe to Galway through farmland, dissecting farm holdings along the way. This proposal was eventually shelved following major opposition from farmers and the IFA.
    :):):)

Mod: Please do not use large text in posts.  Remove statements such as from the quotes.

Response: It is bold text, not large text. I was trying to draw attention to a typo in the Connacht Tribune but, I guess, once you've explained the joke, it's lost.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Breakdown of Greenway funding since 2011 here:

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-03-23a.519

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »

It's a lot more than 830m from Ballinamore to Corgar along the old railway alignement, more like 2.5 K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Over 1,500 used Athlone greenway extension on one day

The Athlone to Mullingar greenway has been hailed as a major success story and an example for other greenway projects to follow by Transport Minister Shane Ross.

"This is actually achieving everything we want to see from greenways," said Minister Ross on Friday last.

"It's attracting new people to visit the area, it's providing an amenity for local people to cycle on, and it's also making it easier and safer for people to cycle to work and school."

Read More at westmeathindependent.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

That's on the NI side of the border. So, there would be a good few km from there to link with the existing Carlingford greenway. It will be good when the whole thing is finished. I go walking up there the odd time, and only found the existing bit by chance. It could do with a few more links connecting it with other walking routes in the area.

An interesting quote from that tender:
    Please note our portal www.newrymournedown.org/procurement is not part of or subject to www.e-tenders.ie but they kindly allow us to publish this notice and promote this project.

Parliamentary question on greenways in Dublin from today: https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-06-28a.411

Parliamentary question on greenways in Dublin from today: https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-06-28a.411
    Thanks for posting this. Once again, Shane Ross comes across like a complete bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

serfboard wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. Once again, Shane Ross comes across like a complete bollocks.

Cutting the tape on the previous Minister's promises suffices as progress for him. If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck but walks with a limp, then it's probably Shane Ross.

Draft Maynooth Traffic Plan actually has some new alignment, not beside/replacing existing route cycle and walking paths marked as "Greenways". Seems to be an intent to actually have some nicer places to walk to do a Sli na Slainte route more than anything else and will be interesting to see if KCC care what the consultants have suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Poor answer as SR can't resist taking a swipe at ER instead of acknowledging that Dub Greenways shouldn't just be in the "one for everyone in the audience mix" but be seen as a part of traffic and pollution management as well as of cyclist safety.

His Dept's Greenway Consultation closes next Friday 14th so essential to get input from Dubliners. There's a Template with questions to answer. The consultation doc refers to Urban Greenways and asks if they should be part of the overall Greenway Strategy. Maybe someone can post the links from DOTASS. there's a map too and before I found this thread I had been wondering how much progress had been made on the Royal and Grand Canal sections.

• Advertisement
Advertisement