Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-09-2013, 10:49   #1
Zyzz

Free beer, naked women and false advertising!

Time to take things seriously before the year is out. If I had a euro for everytime I've said "Ill do it tomorrow" I'd be a rich man. Ill be posting a mix of my training and diet in here instead of keeping a written log I can keep the thread updated with what is happening.

Main goal is to drop several kg as an overall health thing but to also increase my cycling ability. Hopefully get into racing aswel by next year. Ill also be trying to get a triathlon or two under my belt and maybe even try out half ironman distances! (Triathlon forum that way, I know ---->)

My diet will be kept simple, junk food free with the usual healthy foods like chicken, meat, eggs, potatoes, fruit n veg etc etc. Ill be keeping a strict eye on sugar intake aswel! Im not too concerned on calorie intake as long as I keep it at a deficit!

*Feel free to chime in if you have any recipes or suggestions about what to try. Ive always wanted to learn to cook!

Today is day 1.

Day 1 weight - 96.5kg

As for the naked women?

google.com
Advertisement
09-09-2013, 20:41   #2
Zyzz

Decent enough spin today, serious headwind for the most part! Got a KOM which I'm fairly sure I got a few days ago but had my Garmin paused!

http://www.strava.com/activities/81279200

Breakfast had some eggs and bacon, dinner was chicken, veg and some pasta. Had absolutely no sauce in the house so I threw some vegetable soup in with the chicken..plain chicken breast is horrible to eat! No whole meal pasta either so I had some white instead, but won't be eating much of it again! (Same with white bread etc)
15-09-2013, 10:49   #3
Beasty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzz View Post
Breakfast had some eggs and bacon
If you're serious about losing weight you should cut this out - replace it with porridge or some other low-sugar cereal
15-09-2013, 12:51   #4
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
If you're serious about losing weight you should cut this out - replace it with porridge or some other low-sugar cereal
That certainly works for me alright, though the followers of the cult of petethedrummer might beg to differ. Nice crispy bacon and eggs fried in butter, hmmm. The skeptic in me is weakening even thinking about it and I may just find religion myself

Porridge is brilliant, but very difficult to get excited over. I make a rhubarb compote to go with it which helps, and find I really do need something to jazz it up.
15-09-2013, 14:51   #5
thebouldwhacker

Quote:
Im not too concerned on calorie intake as long as I keep it at a deficit!
If your out to loose weight I think you may want to examine that statment.
A calorie is a measure of energy. Your body stores energy when it's not being used, or uses it when it is needed. Hence we put on, lose or maintain weight.
Having a random calorie intake and trying to match that intake with expenditure (excercise) and then add more to be in calorie deficit is a 'risky' approach. I am not suggesting you begin weighing food or calculating the calorie count in each piece of food but I think successful weight loss begins with being aware of and having disipline over calorie intake.

Best of luck with your plan, you have taken the first step, just keep focus and remember its you decision if you succeed or not, nobody else's. A plan is made up of hundreds of decisions, is it too wet to train, am I too tired etc. individually none will bring success but each decision is yours and yours alone and will either lead you to success or failure.

Well done so far!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2013, 15:37   #6

Quote:
Bacon and eggs may work for op on a lchf diet or a low fat diet with porridge may.

Everyone is different, porridge doesn't work for everyone. Low fat isn't working for a lot of people. Eating a high fat diet does need to mean you gain weight.

I eat a lot of eggs, beef lamb and full fat dairy, nuts coconut avocado etc with a lot of fruit and raw veg. No processed carbs/sugar.

Have done up to 200km without food on bike. Eat fat and train your body to burn it.

Absence of carbs/sugar in diet may reduce insulin and therby help fat tissue burn...

There is one diet to suit all
15-09-2013, 16:04   #7
alexanderomahon

Adopted similar approach myself and over a year or so I dropped from 17 stone to about 14 and 1/2 STONE. Took this long due to injuries and being 50ish
Problem was I plateaued between 14 STONE and 14 st 10 lbs where I was stuck for past year or so.
However over past 6 weeks I have got done below 13 1/2 STONE. What has helped me break the plateau www.myfitnesspal.com. This site is free and you log food intake and exercise and you have a calorific deficit to try and keep to.

Have a look at it and tell me what you think.

PS you will need kitchen scales
15-09-2013, 19:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderomahon View Post
Adopted similar approach myself and over a year or so I dropped from 17 stone to about 14 and 1/2 STONE. Took this long due to injuries and being 50ish
Problem was I plateaued between 14 STONE and 14 st 10 lbs where I was stuck for past year or so.
However over past 6 weeks I have got done below 13 1/2 STONE. What has helped me break the plateau www.myfitnesspal.com. This site is free and you log food intake and exercise and you have a calorific deficit to try and keep to.

Have a look at it and tell me what you think.

PS you will need kitchen scales
Well done on weigh loss. What diet did you go on? Did you up exercise much compared to before?
15-09-2013, 21:55   #9
alexanderomahon

[QUOTE=ford2600;86552944]Well done on weigh loss. What diet did you go on? Did you up exercise much compared to before?[/QUOTE

No special diet to get to plateau just more exercise and being sensible. Since using myfitnesspal I just log what I eat and log my exercise and try to keep to recommended calorie intake. More exercise equals more beer, nuts, crisps etc.
Advertisement
16-09-2013, 21:02   #10

Quote:
What's wrong with eggs and bacon?
16-09-2013, 22:09   #11
Zyzz

Apologies for the lack of updates. Decided to postpone the diet until Im fully back to college as I work better under a schedule. Probably be back on it by wednesday

Cycling has been going ok aswel, fingers are heavily crossed that the weather we had today doesn't stick over the winter! Also planning to cycle into college, around 8km in. I may have to buy a crap bike to do that as I wouldn't leave my good one in town for 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Nellie View Post
What's wrong with eggs and bacon?
Also interested in your post Beasty? I lost a good few kg last year from a relatively* carb free breakfast, so eggs and bacon and throw in a casein shake morning and evening (depending on my calorie intake for the day)

Last edited by Zyzz; 17-09-2013 at 12:43.
17-09-2013, 12:36   #12

Quote:
Apologies for the lack of updates. Decided to postpone the diet until Im fully back to college as I work better under a schedule. Probably be back on it by wednesday

Cycling has been going ok aswel, fingers are heavily crossed that the weather we had today doesn't stick over the winter! Also planning to cycle into college, around 8km in. I may have to buy a crap bike to do that as I wouldn't leave my good one in town for 5 minutes!

Also interested in your post Beasty? I lost a good few kg last year from a carb free breakfast, so eggs and bacon and throw in a casein shake morning and evening (depending on my calorie intake for the day)
Eggs and bacon aren't 'carb free' bit they are lowish. Your ride was under two hours and I think your breakfast is fine for that when you are trying to lose weight.
17-09-2013, 12:42   #13
Zyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Nellie View Post
Eggs and bacon aren't 'carb free' bit they are lowish. Your ride was under two hours and I think your breakfast is fine for that when you are trying to lose weight.
0.6g of carbs in 1 egg and no carbs in bacon..

'relatively carb free' if that clears it up
17-09-2013, 12:54   #14
petethedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebouldwhacker View Post
A calorie is a measure of energy.
Two foods can be isocaloric but not isometabolic.

Yes or No. Does the calorie content of food describe the metabolic effect?
(2) thanks from:
17-09-2013, 12:58   #15

Quote:
Decided to postpone the diet until Im fully back to college as I work better under a schedule.
But, this won't work in the long term. 'Diets' almost always fail eventually. If you want to lose weight, and keep it off, you have to start doing things differently and with the intention of keeping it that way.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion