Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are British people better at doing than Irish people?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ignoring their history.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

One thing they seem to excell at is appropriating successes, whether it is technological or sporting, and disowning failures.

Some of it is to with patents. For example Frank Whittle is the alleged creator of the jet engine. He was in the first to patent a type of jet.

Same with other stuff. While a British person may have come up with an idea and patented it, other countries and people made it work.

Its complicated!

How? Please explain which parts we ignored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

prinzeugen wrote: »
    How? Please explain which parts we ignored?

If by 'we' you mean, the British, I think the fact that they don't acknowledge how they invaded, plundered and mistreated sovereign states for hundreds of years before then deciding the voted members of the EU parliament were impacting British life and so deciding to leave the EU community would be a fairly clear example of ignoring things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

boege wrote: »
    Seriously, anyone remember water charges.........!

Anyone who remembers the Miners'strikes or the Poll tax riots know that the Brits can certainly give it welly when stoked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am going to be honest. Not a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Paths to freedom

Hardy bucks

anonymous

Soupy Norman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I have ranted about this years. Bar staff over here are beyond ****. Absolute rubbish.

They are completely incapable of taking more than one order drink at once (at the slowest pace possible) and have no clue who is up next. And like fcuk the customers will have to good manners to point out that you have been waiting before them.

I actually nearly got into a fight one night over this. In fact, I was returning from the Ireland v Argentina game at last rugby WC.

I had left Cardiff and back in the Midlands. While waiting for my bus home I had 40 mins to kill and there was an O'Neills literally by the bus stop. Went it. Being late on a Sunday night, the counter was empty and I was honest to God the only person standing there waiting to be served. Nobody around me. As usual having to wait for the rubbish staff to finish their BS conversation and make eye contact. Waiting waiting and still waiting. Minutes went by.

A few more minutes went by and this other chap walks in and straight to the bar and stood about 4 feet away from me and like me stood there looking at the staff.

You know what happens next....the bitch turns to us and goes straight to the order chap and takes his order. I went mental.

1. She didn't notice me or just ignored me;
    2. The other guy didn't check first.

The other guy to be fair was all apologetic once I explained and I was apologizing to him as my anger was with the staff. We actually drank together and bitched about the rubbish staff. But he was Asian and they are friendly. A white English bloke would have nutted me.
    Don't get me started on their Guinness pint pulling "ability" even where the "Guvnor" is Irish.
    They just pull the tap and fill to the top. FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

One thing they seem to excell at is appropriating successes, whether it is technological or sporting, and disowning failures.

Yes 100%. The great famine that occurred in the UK in the 1840’s is almost wholly referred to as the Irish famine.
    The starving Uk citizens who ended up on the shores of the new world as a result of this famine were Irish emigrants never referred to as UK emigrants, which is technically what they were and very much subjects of Queen Victoria at the time.

The civil war that occurred in the UK from 1969 to 1998 is always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    Despite the fact that Harold Wilson told jack lynch to stay out of it in 1969 that it was an internal UK matter. The conflict almost entirely took place on UK soil enacted by UK citizens that we are told is as much part of the UK as Newcastle or Manchester.
    Yet it always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    It was a UK civil war it should be referred to as the UK troubles.

And to go back to emigrants. Uk people living in foreign countries are never referred to as migrants but ex pats. When foreigners come to the UK they are migrants. When the brits move out foreign they are ex pats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Staying in the correct lane on the motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For a long time, Irish history as taught in school stopped at The Treaty. We all lived happily ever after, move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

20silkcut wrote: »
    Yes 100%. The great famine that occurred in the UK in the 1840’s is almost wholly referred to as the Irish famine.
    The starving Uk citizens who ended up on the shores of the new world as a result of this famine were Irish emigrants never referred to as UK emigrants, which is technically what they were and very much subjects of Queen Victoria at the time.

The civil war that occurred in the UK from 1969 to 1998 is always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    Despite the fact that Harold Wilson told jack lynch to stay out of it in 1969 that it was an internal UK matter. The conflict almost entirely took place on UK soil enacted by UK citizens that we are told is as much part of the UK as Newcastle or Manchester.
    Yet it always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    It was a UK civil war it should be referred to as the UK troubles.

And to go back to emigrants. Uk people living in foreign countries are never referred to as migrants but ex pats. When foreigners come to the UK they are migrants. When the brits move out foreign they are ex pats.
    It was the Irish that gave the conflict the title of the "Troubles".

If by 'we' you mean, the British, I think the fact that they don't acknowledge how they invaded, plundered and mistreated sovereign states for hundreds of years before then deciding the voted members of the EU parliament were impacting British life and so deciding to leave the EU community would be a fairly clear example of ignoring things.

It’s not so much ignoring it, it’s not being so rabidly obsessed by it, like some Irish people seem to be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Drinking up very quickly when the bell is rung for last orders in the pub. When they say “time”, they really mean it. Less than 10 minutes and all the punters are out the door. Impressed me the first time I saw this in London 25 years ago.

Being more direct than us Irish but usually polite along with it. No dancing around when offered something at a friend’s place - “no I won’t, ah you will”, etc. Mrs Doyle style. If you’re offered something and politely refuse, you won’t be offered again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Raving, they sure did know how to put a good tune together back in the day anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Drinking up very quickly when the bell is rung for last orders in the pub. When they say “time”, they really mean it. Less than 10 minutes and all the punters are out the door. Impressed me the first time I saw this in London 25 years ago.

Being more direct than us Irish but usually polite along with it. No dancing around when offered something at a friend’s place - “no I won’t, ah you will”, etc. Mrs Doyle style. If you’re offered something and politely refuse, you won’t be offered again.

Indeed. I do have to emphasis this to my parents every time they come over the visit.

You can hear the unnatural strain in my mother's voice: 'Yes I will have a cup of tea.' and not the usual 'Ah sure no I'm grand.' fully expecting it to put in front of her anyway in that Irish manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

JupiterKid wrote: »

Definitely more direct, but I like that. Time spent in other countries-especially on the continent will quickly make you realise how indirect and dithery we are. The English are polite with it though...unlike some continentals.

I remember Donnacha O Callaghan on a chat show here talking about how when he was playing rugby in England he was in someone's home and offered some delicious looking home made cake by his English host, he did the Irish "ah no I won't..." expecting the Mrs Doyle response, but instead to his shock and horror there was no second offer and the cake was taken away! :D

Another thing I noticed just yesterday when chatting with a lovely English lady who lives many years in Sligo,- they're very forthcoming with invitations. I haven't known her very long but the first time I spoke to her I got an invitation to stay in her home for myself and my partner over Christmas! and it was a genuine invitation, not just a polite one expecting me to politely decline.

I've experience it with other English living here too...though most of them are a certain type of English so maybe it's not across the board like that.

I find they're faster and more upfront in letting you know whether they like you or not though and I like that, saves time and energy. You know where you stand with them quicker than with a lot of Irish people.

Sovereign states? At which point in history was any British forces involved in the invasion and plunder of a sovereign state.

Please name the sovereign states.. I will help. Name one pre 1914.

Advertisement