Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are British people better at doing than Irish people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

MoashoaM wrote: »
    The hypodermic needle wasn't invented by an Irishman. No one person gets that credit. Neither was radiotherapy or the submarine. The transatlantic telegraph is neat, but telegraph itself was the real achievement.
    The first transatlantic cable was layed from Ireland but it was a British operation. Charles Blight was the chief engineer on the project.

It was actually partly layed from the SS Great Eastern, an Isambard Kingdom Brunel designed ship. Probably the most famous British engineer in history.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Using Escalators.
    They understand the concept that some people might be in a hurry when using them, so those not in a hurry stand to the right leaving space for people to pass on the left.
    No they're not. At peak times on the tube time and motion studies have shown that that is less efficient overall it just feels faster. People standing on both sides moves more people overall clearing the numbers from the platform.
    Walking on the right feels faster but has probably cost you time as you were waiting longer to get onto the escalator itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

MoashoaM wrote: »
    The hypodermic needle wasn't invented by an Irishman. No one person gets that credit. Neither was radiotherapy or the submarine. The transatlantic telegraph is neat, but telegraph itself was the real achievement.
    The hypodermic syringe was invented by Irish doctor Samuel Rynd in the 1840s.
    He used it to make the first recorded subcutaneous injections in 1844 and later documented his pioneering treatment for the Dublin Medical Press.

While there were earlier cruder submarines, John Phillip Holland is recognised as the inventor of the modern submarine. This was the first submarine having power to run submerged for any considerable distance, and the first to combine electric motors for submerged travel and gasoline engines for use on the surface. Holland has over 20 related patents to his name.

Medicine's first attempts at using radioactivity to kill cancer, devised shortly after radioactivity was discovered in 1896, were crude. Doctors placed tiny pieces of radium in and around the tumours, a hit-and-miss approach that rarely worked.

Instead of using radium, Joly thought of collecting the radioactive radon gas (or "emanation") it gave off, then injecting it into tumours. This was more effective, because the radon could percolate throughout the tumour and the dose could be controlled. It was also safer for both doctor and patient, and cheaper, as the original radium source could be used repeatedly.

Joly developed his ideas with Walter Clegg Stevenson, a cancer expert at Dr Steevens' Hospital in Dublin, beginning in 1903. By 1914, they had perfected the Dublin method, which formed the basis for the modern radium needle treatment.

Laying a transatlantic cable was 'neat' - I'd rate it a major engineering feat and also a major contributor to transatlantic communications and trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Climbing ranks in society, In Britain you can leave school with no qualifications and make a good crack of a career from starting at the bottom that pays well and rises through the ranks. In Ireland we are so hung up on leaving cert achievement its almost a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From my experiences in England people in general are more direct and fortcoming. They speak to you if they've an issue, they don't bitch behind your back and be as sweet as pie to your face like the Irish.

Absolutely, in my last job I found this.

It can be a bit of a shock to the system initially but I appreciated that you always knew where you stood with them. And too I found they appreciated the same in return.

Here in the office it was political chess at every second of the day and it used to have me worn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Keeping their spuds to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Speaking in front of cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Spelling Derry correctly with 11 letters

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Fish n chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Their politicians are much much better speakers than our lot.
    They have superior state occasions eg funerals, commerations.
    They esp the English play better football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Wife swapping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

From my experiences in England people in general are more direct and fortcoming. They speak to you if they've an issue, they don't bitch behind your back and be as sweet as pie to your face like the Irish.
    Having worked for British owned companies with mostly British people for the past several years I think that's nonsense to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Preserving their culture and heritage.
    In Ireland we have torn up our Georgian squares, we had a tram network from dalkey to howth we ripped up in the the 1960s, our satreets are full charity shops, 2 euro shops, mobile phone unlocking and cash for gold.
    Ireland doesn't care about heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

No they're not. At peak times on the tube time and motion studies have shown that that is less efficient overall it just feels faster. People standing on both sides moves more people overall clearing the numbers from the platform.
    Walking on the right feels faster but has probably cost you time as you were waiting longer to get onto the escalator itself.

But that study only refers to peak times at the tube stations which is where that study was commissioned for..
    I'm referring to the every other time courtesy of staying to the side allowing others to pass if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I once met Enda Kenny in Liffey Valley shopping centre when he was Taoiseach and he was out canvassing for a referendum vote.
    Told him to his face he was doing a **** job and needed to think about the people going out to work everyday.

Thankfully that's all sorted now with our new Taoiseach and his best friend Michael from Cork.

What are the brits better at than us "democracy" we just just shuffle the same faces around.

I forgot to mention "the tube" the only way Dublin traffic be solved is underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Controlling their dogs

Racism. I hope no racists are offended by this, but there's something very inauthentic about Irish racists. The Brits (mainly the English) have it nailed though. Proper ugly racism, not the half-arsed pale imitation that you see here.

If you class sectarianism as a form of racism, the Scots are a hundred times worse, the wrong kind of Scot will almost spontaneously combust if in the presence of an Irish Catholic

Didn't believe it until I experienced it myself, it's visceral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

PeteEd wrote: »
    Spelling Derry correctly with 11 letters

Nah, 8 r's in Derrrrrrrry just looks silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

They've better universities.

- Even if with Brexit there is a wind of change in this domain (some say Germany would be no 1 at EU level), think none of their top universities would drop 44 places in the world university ranking any time soon.

Bitter about that, tbh, hopefully the future government would address something on this subject !

• Advertisement

Preserving their culture and heritage.
    In Ireland we have torn up our Georgian squares, we had a tram network from dalkey to howth we ripped up in the the 1960s, our satreets are full charity shops, 2 euro shops, mobile phone unlocking and cash for gold.
    Ireland doesn't care about heritage
    You could just as easily be describing British regional towns or cities once away from tourist centres. Except in some well know examples like Blackpool the UK ripped up it's tram lines too.

They do preserve things but sometimes it is too restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

mvl wrote: »
    They've better universities.

- Even if with Brexit there is a wind of change in this domain (some say Germany would be no 1 at EU level), think none of their top universities would drop 44 places in the world university ranking any time soon.

Bitter about that, tbh, hopefully the future government would address something on this subject !

That's because their universities won't accept chancers like Ibrahim Halawa with free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Bombing Civilians? Don't get me wrong some Irish gave it a good go but the Brits really know how to do a good bombing.

Don't forget the Germans too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Britain does animal welfare better, and organisations with the power to charge people with animal neglect. The RSPCA's powers is what animal welfare in Ireland could do with.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Morris Dancing

Britain do animal welfare better, and organisations with the power to charge people with animal neglect. The RSPCA's powers is what animal welfare in Ireland could do with.

They do anything related to pets better, a dog warden is the most useless position anyone can have in Ireland, they do absolutely nothing

Driving.

Parking cars.

Fixing roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Colonising.
    And looking dashing while doing it

143a5972252860384b0862efa275369e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Stark wrote: »
    Those were "polite, peaceful" protests!

Apparently it was kidnapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Colonising.
    Having an issue when the people they colonise come to the UK.

Advertisement