Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are British people better at doing than Irish people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Milosmith wrote: »
    Wearing Cor Blimey trousers

Jellied eel

pork pies

Colonialism

So they're all Cockneys?, even in Sunderland, Leeds, Newcastle, Leicester, York, Manchester, Norwich, Bristol, Stoke, Birmingham, Carlisle, Derby.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

gurning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Blanking **** who they are not interested in dealing with. They will just look right through people like they are not even there.

Irish people are too polite and end up being nice to them, wastes an awful lot of time. The Brits don't fúck around like that, they are chunts to you from the get go, just in case you are one as well, a chunt that is.

Milosmith wrote: »
    Sorry but nothing beats Dublin Italian chippers.

The chippies in the UK rarely have smoked fish and the chips are too greasy after being taken out of the fryer. I am a bit of a connoisseur of fish and chips and have to say we do it better. I am referring specifically to the Italian Irish chippers
    Liar
    Your username caught u out

Que?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

being friendly & polite

esp the southern middle-class english, very nice people in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The chippies in the UK rarely have smoked fish and the chips are too greasy after being taken out of the fryer. I am a bit of a connoisseur of fish and chips and have to say we do it better. I am referring specifically to the Italian Irish chippers

Youre talking through your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Blanking **** who they are not interested in dealing with. They will just look right through people like they are not even there.

Irish people are too polite and end up being nice to them, wastes an awful lot of time. The Brits don't fúck around like that, they are chunts to you from the get go, just in case you are one as well, a chunt that is.

I remember in London my friend approached a ticket agent looking for cheap theatre tickets. She dealt with him more quickly than I've ever since seen anyone being dealt with before or since.

That's something about the English, they tend to want things done quickly rather than to have a discussion about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

From my experiences in England people in general are more direct and fortcoming. They speak to you if they've an issue, they don't bitch behind your back and be as sweet as pie to your face like the Irish.

We Canadians will give the Irish a good run for their money on the passive-aggressive front, especially if Americans are doing the asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

riclad wrote: »
    Making tv and radio show,s ,when uk comedys are good they are brilliant .The office, fawlty towers , etc
    Can you think of one funny rte comedy show ?
    batchelor,s walk is the only one i can think of.
    Reality tv , many shows are invented in the uk, and then exported all over the world, dancing with the stars ,who wants to be a millionaire .
    I think they have dozen,s of small independent production companys ,
    so they are constantly trying out new idea,s ,and of course they have excellent drama school,s , so they produce great actors some of whom end up in hollywood movie .

For every Fawlty Towers or Blackadder there's dozens and dozens of forgettable middling comedies and downright turkeys churned out over the years. It's scale and the willingness to put money into writing and production rather than the RTE approach, here's 2p, a half sucked sweet and a rubber band...make a funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Over here 10 years and I have experienced this a good few times.

One day you are best friends drinking away in the pub or out socializing and the next day they will walk straight past you as if you do not exist.

The last time a gang of us were out on a Sunday after a sports event. I dropped a few home as I was driving. Met them at our club the next evening and just blanked...:confused:

I have had people in my club just walk past me on the street without even an acknowledgement but then 2 days later they are all over you asking for x,y and z and then back to blanking.

TBH I just accept it happens here.

One thing about the English is that they are not friendly and would rather pluck out their eyeballs that engage in normal chit chat. They are polite and courteous but not friendly- there is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

football

They talk a good game but rarely back it up.

Over here 10 years and I have experienced this a good few times.

One day you are best friends drinking away in the pub or out socializing and the next day they will walk straight past you as if you do not exist.

The last time a gang of us were out on a Sunday after a sports event. I dropped a few home as I was driving. Met them at our club the next evening and just blanked...:confused:

I have had people in my club just walk past me on the street without even an acknowledgement but then 2 days later they are all over you asking for x,y and z and then back to blanking.

TBH I just accept it happens here.

One thing about the English is that they are not friendly and would rather pluck out their eyeballs that engage in normal chit chat. They are polite and courteous but not friendly- there is a difference.

It is down to manners really, for a country that prides themselves' on them they actually have none, the irony is side splitting.

Sorry for your troubles, I will never blank you partyguinness, I am good like that.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I remember in London my friend approached a ticket agent looking for cheap theatre tickets. She dealt with him more quickly than I've ever since seen anyone being dealt with before or since.

That's something about the English, they tend to want things done quickly rather than to have a discussion about it.

Unless your looking for a drink, I have seen bar staff finish their entire conversation, like bordering on over ten minutes, before a " what are having love" thrown over the counter, fooking slow chunts, they can be clueless you know.

They always put themselves first, it is in their fee fie foe fum.

Unless your looking for a drink, I have seen bar staff finish their entire conversation, like bordering on over ten minutes, before a " what are having love" thrown over the counter, fooking slow chunts, they can be clueless you know.

They always put themselves first, it is in their fee fie foe fum.

I have ranted about this years. Bar staff over here are beyond ****. Absolute rubbish.

They are completely incapable of taking more than one order drink at once (at the slowest pace possible) and have no clue who is up next. And like fcuk the customers will have to good manners to point out that you have been waiting before them.

I actually nearly got into a fight one night over this. In fact, I was returning from the Ireland v Argentina game at last rugby WC.

I had left Cardiff and back in the Midlands. While waiting for my bus home I had 40 mins to kill and there was an O'Neills literally by the bus stop. Went it. Being late on a Sunday night, the counter was empty and I was honest to God the only person standing there waiting to be served. Nobody around me. As usual having to wait for the rubbish staff to finish their BS conversation and make eye contact. Waiting waiting and still waiting. Minutes went by.

A few more minutes went by and this other chap walks in and straight to the bar and stood about 4 feet away from me and like me stood there looking at the staff.

You know what happens next....the bitch turns to us and goes straight to the order chap and takes his order. I went mental.

1. She didn't notice me or just ignored me;
    2. The other guy didn't check first.

The other guy to be fair was all apologetic once I explained and I was apologizing to him as my anger was with the staff. We actually drank together and bitched about the rubbish staff. But he was Asian and they are friendly. A white English bloke would have nutted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Keeping the boxes.

Ever buy any second hand electronics on ebay from the UK? It'll come with all the original packaging. the box, the instructions, the warranty cards in 20 languages, the CD if there was one (cameras etc.), all the little leads and connectors that nobody ever wanted or used, every little plastic bag and elastic band.

We Irish tend to treat the packaging like a 3 year old opening a Fisher Price toy on Christmas morning. Extract the item of interest and shred and bin everything else.

I'm not saying the English approach is better - it's just that they mind the packaging better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Keeping the boxes.

Ever buy any second hand electronics on ebay from the UK? It'll come with all the original packaging. the box, the instructions, the warranty cards in 20 languages, the CD if there was one (cameras etc.), all the little leads and connectors that nobody ever wanted or used, every little plastic bag and elastic band.

We Irish tend to treat the packaging like a 3 year old opening a Fisher Price toy on Christmas morning. Extract the item of interest and shred and bin everything else.

I'm not saying the English approach is better - it's just that they mind the packaging better.

Ha ha this reminds me of my mother in law who bought my son one of those little boards that you draw on with magnets. He was very little at the time and she had bought it not actually knowing what it was or how to use it.

She pulled off the plastic and paper and promptly fvcked both magnets that came with it into the fire, rendering it completely useless :D

Boy was distraught.

Edgware wrote: »

Youre talking through your hole.

I've tried fish and chips in both Ireland and the UK and I am telling you my preference.

How exactly am I talking through my hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Borris wants to build a bridge to Ireland from Scotland. Well he says he does, but it may just be his Greenland moment.

He also wanted to build an airport in the middle of the River Thames estuary when London Mayor. Mad fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ignoring their history.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

One thing they seem to excell at is appropriating successes, whether it is technological or sporting, and disowning failures.

Some of it is to with patents. For example Frank Whittle is the alleged creator of the jet engine. He was in the first to patent a type of jet.

Same with other stuff. While a British person may have come up with an idea and patented it, other countries and people made it work.

Its complicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Ignoring their history.....

How? Please explain which parts we ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

prinzeugen wrote: »
    How? Please explain which parts we ignored?

If by 'we' you mean, the British, I think the fact that they don't acknowledge how they invaded, plundered and mistreated sovereign states for hundreds of years before then deciding the voted members of the EU parliament were impacting British life and so deciding to leave the EU community would be a fairly clear example of ignoring things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

boege wrote: »
    Seriously, anyone remember water charges.........!

Anyone who remembers the Miners'strikes or the Poll tax riots know that the Brits can certainly give it welly when stoked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am going to be honest. Not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Paths to freedom

Hardy bucks

anonymous

Soupy Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I have ranted about this years. Bar staff over here are beyond ****. Absolute rubbish.

They are completely incapable of taking more than one order drink at once (at the slowest pace possible) and have no clue who is up next. And like fcuk the customers will have to good manners to point out that you have been waiting before them.

I actually nearly got into a fight one night over this. In fact, I was returning from the Ireland v Argentina game at last rugby WC.

I had left Cardiff and back in the Midlands. While waiting for my bus home I had 40 mins to kill and there was an O'Neills literally by the bus stop. Went it. Being late on a Sunday night, the counter was empty and I was honest to God the only person standing there waiting to be served. Nobody around me. As usual having to wait for the rubbish staff to finish their BS conversation and make eye contact. Waiting waiting and still waiting. Minutes went by.

A few more minutes went by and this other chap walks in and straight to the bar and stood about 4 feet away from me and like me stood there looking at the staff.

You know what happens next....the bitch turns to us and goes straight to the order chap and takes his order. I went mental.

1. She didn't notice me or just ignored me;
    2. The other guy didn't check first.

The other guy to be fair was all apologetic once I explained and I was apologizing to him as my anger was with the staff. We actually drank together and bitched about the rubbish staff. But he was Asian and they are friendly. A white English bloke would have nutted me.
    Don't get me started on their Guinness pint pulling "ability" even where the "Guvnor" is Irish.
    They just pull the tap and fill to the top. FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭20silkcut

One thing they seem to excell at is appropriating successes, whether it is technological or sporting, and disowning failures.

Yes 100%. The great famine that occurred in the UK in the 1840’s is almost wholly referred to as the Irish famine.
    The starving Uk citizens who ended up on the shores of the new world as a result of this famine were Irish emigrants never referred to as UK emigrants, which is technically what they were and very much subjects of Queen Victoria at the time.

The civil war that occurred in the UK from 1969 to 1998 is always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    Despite the fact that Harold Wilson told jack lynch to stay out of it in 1969 that it was an internal UK matter. The conflict almost entirely took place on UK soil enacted by UK citizens that we are told is as much part of the UK as Newcastle or Manchester.
    Yet it always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    It was a UK civil war it should be referred to as the UK troubles.

And to go back to emigrants. Uk people living in foreign countries are never referred to as migrants but ex pats. When foreigners come to the UK they are migrants. When the brits move out foreign they are ex pats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Staying in the correct lane on the motorway

Advertisement