Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

R Kings and other car raffles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Money matters, not the legitimacy of the lad giving that money :P

I'm not saying your mate shouldn't have sold to them.

They are a registered business

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI656489

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To comply with the law you can enter any of their competitions for free if you send them a postcard with the details on it.

Would be interesting to see what happened if they received hundreds of free entries for a given raffle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

awec wrote: »
    To comply with the law you can enter any of their competitions for free if you send them a postcard with the details on it.

Would be interesting to see what happened if they received hundreds of free entries for a given raffle.

Oh interesting i have the free AnPost cards lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

But do they offer a warranty ��

probably not but who give a toss, if you won a 30 grand car for 30 quid, even if the gearbox completely shat itself a week later you're still only 2030 quid in on a 30k car.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

bigpink wrote: »
    Have gotten alot of sponsores posts about this on Facebook
    Is it legit?
    Seems to have alot of winners from Limerick

My nephew won a Type R. It’s real.

• Advertisement

My nephew won a Type R. It’s real.

Well first we know that it breaks facebooks rules we know they do give cars to the winners

But is it legal or is it just an illegal gambling operation that takes advantage of (mostly) poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

They had a post up on New Year’s Day saying that they gave away 440 prizes in 2019, so even if they averaged a grand profit from each draw that’s a lot of twine!! I wouldn’t begrudge them, there not robbing anyone.

Deminiman wrote: »
    They had a post up on New Year’s Day saying that they gave away 440 prizes in 2019, so even if they averaged a grand profit from each draw that’s a lot of twine!! I wouldn’t begrudge them, there not robbing anyone.

I know drug dealers that don't rip people off and even get the drugs lab tested.
    Wouldn't begrudge them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

tuxy wrote: »
    In the current draw they are asking people if you use a knife or spoon to eat soup. Would answering that require a substantial deal of skill?

The bar for that test is pretty low. Its why your average RTE phone in question is equally obvious e.g. Bridget Malone, Molly Malone, Sarah Malone
    It's also against facebook rules so I've no idea how it got so big without them noticing. They even run adverts for the raffles.

Speaking from experience, Facebook don't give one fiddler as long as you give them money. If an ad gets flagged, you can easily explain it away. They give, at most, a 10-second glance to an ad before approving it, if even. Most of this work is also done by machine and only upon review is it sent offshore where English may not even be in the top 10 languages. There are instances of facebook approving ads in languages that NONE of their staff even speak.

ironclaw wrote: »
    The bar for that test is pretty low. Its why your average RTE phone in question is equally obvious e.g. Bridget Malone, Molly Malone, Sarah Malone

The law changed a long time ago in Britain where they changed it by law from a game of skill to a game of substantial degree of skill. This did not cover NI but in 2013 the law was updated in NI and now it too requires a game of substantial degree of skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Shower of bastards they are, the had a Makkinen Evo and I didn't win it :(

Shower of bastards they are, the had a Makkinen Evo and I didn't win it :(

I hope they didn't get any money out of you. Especially since we now know they must allow free entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Just saw this posted on backroads!

e3e0cc5f2296859918f677b97a5ce69e.jpg
    a6f2826ac2e70100d8ea7ae3116a0818.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Jaysis.

When you actually checkout the registration of these companies and look up the address of the owners it would seem many of them live in an empty fields all in Northern Ireland........

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Warriors4

‘“Under the Order, it is unlawful to conduct in Northern Ireland any competition which offers prizes, where success does not depend to a
    substantial degree on the exercise of skill. The effect of the Order is also that pure chance prize draws (as opposed to competitions where some effort or skill is needed to win) will only be legal if they are free to enter or provide a genuine alternative free entry route.”

It is a game of skill as they will ask a question before you can enter the competition, (Like on the Late Late show for example)
    They do provide an alternative free entry route by asking people to like share and tag 3 friends so they’re covered.
    As for Facebook at the end of every post they will say Facebook do not run own OR ENDORSE this competition or business, which is why they have now made their own app Incase Facebook does shut it down.

As for another user saying the stuff they get is old and cheap if that stuff is cheap to you then you must be doing very well for yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Jesus im getting a tonne of sponsored posts for similar ones now all nothern based

Warriors4 wrote: »
    ‘“Under the Order, it is unlawful to conduct in Northern Ireland any competition which offers prizes, where success does not depend to a
    substantial degree on the exercise of skill.

Asking what do you eat soup with? Knife, fork or spoon.

Does that require substantial degree on the exercise of skill

You would also wonder why the owners of these companies give home addresses that are an empty fields. Do they even give their real name?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Real. I know someone who won one...from Roscommon!

Asking what do you eat soup with? Knife, fork or spoon.

Does that require substantial degree on the exercise of skill

You would also wonder why the owners of these companies give home addresses that are an empty fields. Do they even give their real name?

You would think it wouldn’t but who knows these days haha

The owner of the company regularly shares the competitions on his private page and doesn’t seem to hide the fact he owns and runs it, but with such a large following nearly 165k likes on facebook would you want your family address public knowledge? Especially given the price of some of the things they raffle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I'll be shutting these down soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Warriors4 wrote: »
    You would think it wouldn’t but who knows these days haha

The owner of the company regularly shares the competitions on his private page and doesn’t seem to hide the fact he owns and runs it, but with such a large following nearly 165k likes on facebook would you want your family address public knowledge? Especially given the price of some of the things they raffle

or do you really want an angry scobe who bought a Gtr for 30 quid showing up at your gaf when they can't afford to fix something on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

To be fair they operate in a transparent way. Legal or not, meh, who gives a f.... Some move machines have come from there

or do you really want an angry scobe who bought a Gtr for 30 quid showing up at your gaf when they can't afford to fix something on it.

Then there’s that too,😂
    See this all the time on there posts oh wouldnt like to be maintaining that or vrt this putting fuel in that, Honestly if a 2014 M4 or a nice C63 Merc stood you 25 or 30 pound would ya be bothered about much else

Lets face it, after looking at facebook you can see it would be best to have nothing to do with the kind of people that enter these things.

Still it must be interesting when he does his taxes and says he is a cabinet maker that lives in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I know of people that have won cars from their Facebook competition but surely it breaks Facebook rules.

Their target audience is 18-27, people that like souped up cars.

Aswell as VRT these flashy cars probably are expensive to insure.

mikeym wrote: »
    Their target audience is 18-27, people that like souped up cars.

Yes that age group is about right things like this also target low income people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bigpink wrote: »
    Was it the first comapny doing it here?

GAA clubs are using the same model with houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Lets face it, after looking at facebook you can see it would be best to have nothing to do with the kind of people that enter these things.

Still it must be interesting when he does his taxes and says he is a cabinet maker that lives in a field.

You seem incredibly begrudging of them for some reason. Like really salty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

A nice scania on it this evening, only 600k which isnt much for a yoke like that, i wonder do they have to be tested or can they buy a heap of ****e spray it up and raffle it

Advertisement