Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

• 20-08-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭

Oooh! :)
    Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of “The Matrix,” with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering ‘The Matrix’ with Lana,” said Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary—a singular and original creative filmmaker—and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”

More here:
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/
    Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They should have stopped after the first one.

The Wachowski's like George Lucas hit on a great idea and couldn't follow it up they needed to / should have hand it over to others to continue the story.

Saying that I will still go see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A series that has no need whatsoever to be a franchise: the first film explored the idea in all of the depth and clarity that was there. Stranger things have happened than the possibility of another good Matrix movie, but yeah can’t help but feel this is redundant out of the gate. And Revolutions really was awful ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They should remake the third one instead of sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Feels like a desperation move from the Wachowskis; they haven't had a hit since, well, since The Matrix and I daresay they're going back to the well because they have no other move. I know "Sense 8" has a cult following, but that's kinda it, it was super niche.

Can't see any studio bankrolling yet another inevitable box office flop. I bet this sequel is a quid-pro-quo for another "personal project" in the future, the studio salivating at strip mining a popular IP for some nostalgia dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Reloaded had it's moments, Revolutions was doughy, indulgent tripe though.

This has potential, but I'd be sceptical too. We'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Heh, in first one Neo was contacted on that trusty Nokia. Mad how much tech and surveillance has changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Is her sister Lilly not going to be involved in this one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting note that David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas author) is co-writing the script. That’s an unusual creative addition to the mix, albeit someone who’s worked with Lana before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Dunno about anyone else but I'm delighted.

The first Matrix is an absolute classic. The last film I think where I went into the cinema without so much as knowing a basic plot.

Reloaded was disappointing but it think is better than it gets credit for.

Revolutions was dreadful.... really really poor IMO.

If this is as good as Reloaded and gives the films a decent close I'm all for it. If it's **** then we have lost nothing. Colour me excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I'm probably one of the very very few people who liked Reloaded AND Revolutions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Still Haven't seen 2/3

I don't want to taint the first one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Terms like “not needed” get thrown around a lot when we hear of a belated sequel, or rebooting etc.

But, honestly. This isn’t needed.

They hit an absolute peak with the first one, and steadily nosedived when trying to recreate it. I can’t imagine they’ve anything better to add that they didn’t already try to. I also think they’ll struggle to recreate any “wow” the first one inspired. The sequels didn’t even come close.

I guess if anyone’s gonna profit off keanu’s resurgence, it should be a part of the team that helped lay the foundation. But that’s all this looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The Matrix
    The Matrix Reloaded
    The Matrix Revolutions
    The Matrix Rebooted

I'll go see it, but I don't expect anything near the quality of the original. Also, Trinity? Really? How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Falthyron wrote: »
    The Matrix
    The Matrix Reloaded
    The Matrix Revolutions
    The Matrix Rebooted

I'll go see it, but I don't expect anything near the quality of the original. Also, Trinity? Really? How does that work?

She reloaded her last save point. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I hope the story involves Neo being tracked down in Nebuchadnezzar World and being convinced that THAT world is the real matrix, and he wakes up in ANOTHER world. But here's the twist, Neo is a Woman all along! Danaaaaaan!

I apologise in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm looking forward to it.
    It might turn out good.... it might turn out bad too! let's see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hobosan wrote: »
    I hope the story involves Neo being tracked down in Nebuchadnezzar World and being convinced that THAT world is the real matrix, and he wakes up in ANOTHER world. But here's the twist, Neo is a Woman all along! Danaaaaaan!

I apologise in advance.

Matrix is actually part of the Ready Player One Universe :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hobosan wrote: »

I apologise in advance.

There's a common interpretation of the first Matrix movie as being one large metaphor for Coming Out, or Transitioning - a theory that was borne out by both Wachowskis themselves transitioning in real life. It's actually quite blatant and obvious once you take in scenes & dialogue with that point of view. The film is essentially about discovering your true, 'real' self, despite what societal norms try to force on you.

Mind you, that same film also has support and interpretations by gun fetishists, the far right & white supremacist groups, so it's not often those disparate grouping find a common totem. And like a lot of these things it's down to the audience's interpretations (though again, it was born out by the creators' experiences)

Going by the presence of Anne-Moss, there's obviously got to be some kind of twist going on here; can I speak to her character's fate without spoilers? The first film is 20 years old at this stage!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I reserve the right to later dismiss this as one visit too many to the well, but for now I'm interested. It's all about the script. Is it a follow on? Or is it a soft reboot for next generation?

I hope they don't f*ck it up with trying to update the tech.
    Imagine trying to call for an exit with a smartphone...

"Swipe... swipe... damn Face ID doesn't work with my 2021 hipster sunglasses... open the call app... favourites...".

"Mr Anderson...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Probably wont be brilliant like loads of films that try to have an overly complex plot nowadays but will defo have a look and hope to be surprised.
    The fact that it wont be brilliant will probably be that it will be unoriginal...........thats what made the original such a gem.

Immediately I thought of the latest terminator movie with your man Jason Clarke in it, that was a terrible movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ziedth wrote: »
    The first Matrix is an absolute classic. The last film I think where I went into the cinema without so much as knowing a basic plot.

One of my all-time great cinema experiences. All I'd seen beforehand was that very cool teaser trailer:

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

And I did. And it was awesome.

The sequels were just awful, but I'll still be looking forward to another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Goodshape wrote: »
    The sequels were just awful, but I'll still be looking forward to another one.

I enjoyed the 2nd one up until the highway scene and then the franchise went to shít. The 3rd one is a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'll never forget the first one, like most , went into it not knowing anything about it and was blown away by how fresh it was.
    I remember buying the DVD, and showing it to a younger cousin of mine, It was gas to see someone watch it for the first time, I though his eyes were going to pop out of his head during the Morpheus rescue sequence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I’m excited for it. There’s nothing to touch the first film before or since. Ok the sequels were sketchy but a lot to love in them too. If you squint. Let’s see what they bring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

pixelburp wrote: »
    Going by the presence of Anne-Moss, there's obviously got to be some kind of twist going on here; can I speak to her character's fate without spoilers? The first film is 20 years old at this stage!
    Eugh. She's Carrie-Anne Moss, not Carrie Anne-Moss!
    Twins were good in Reloaded and that was about it. Architect, Merovingian, Keymaker etc all absolutely appalling. Bloated nonsense. Ergo ergo ergo. Suspect a fourth film wouldn't be any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd be curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

The first Matrix movie was the last time that I was genuinely blown away in the cinema. Christ, that was 20 years ago! Movies have really gone ****e since :( I can't think of any recent movie that was even half as thrilling as that experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So since we dont know what the movie is about yet... what do people think it will be about?

The third movie eneded with peace and the matrix is all about going into said matrix, dodging agents, doing gravity defining stuff. So do you wash away the third ending and the machines are at it again? or do you introduce a new element. Like a rouge group in the machine-world trying to take things over?

Has anyone seen the animatrix? Keep meaning to pick it up I’m told it’s great

*if they don’t stick in a matrix phoneline download bit in the upcoming bill and teds film they’re doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Has anyone seen the animatrix? Keep meaning to pick it up I’m told it’s great
    Yeah, it's pretty widely loved. It's a series of shorts, all in different animation styles, telling very different stories. Definitely check it out.

mikhail wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty widely loved. It's a series of shorts, all in different animation styles, telling very different stories. Definitely check it out.

Will do. It’s about 50c in cex and I keep forgetting to grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

A 4th Matrix film does not appeal at all. You can't replicate the original.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Will do. It’s about 50c in cex and I keep forgetting to grab it.

Grab it!

I’m actually jealous you haven’t seen it yet, you get to experience it for the first time. :cool:

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Grab it!

I’m actually jealous you haven’t seen it yet, you get to experience it for the first time. :cool:

Will do. Be in town tomorrow I’ll run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The first Matrix movie was the last time that I was genuinely blown away in the cinema. Christ, that was 20 years ago! Movies have really gone ****e since :( I can't think of any recent movie that was even half as thrilling as that experience.

I think Fury Road came pretty close

Just can't get on board with the Keanu resurgence. He destroys every film with his wooden acting, how he has made a successful career as an actor is really astounding. That said he was well suited to the first matrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mikhail wrote: »

Is it? I've not seen it since the cinema*, but I've never heard anyone talk about it since. Thought it was all over the place, with the CGI segment being the most impressive for technical reasons.

*An awful lot people left that Dreamcatcher showing before the movie started. They were the clever ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I remember well the first time I seen The Matrix, it blew my young mind. Unfortunately I too young to see it in the cinema, but a bit later on at my cousin's house, I seen it on VHS/DVD(can't remember which it would've been) and it was amazing.

Didn't have a notion what it was about which made the experience all the better. Very rare you have that nowadays when seeing a film. The only thing that would have come close in that regard since was Inception, which I also didn't know much about, but I'd have at least seen a bit of a teaser trailer for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jez, another one. The Simpsons meme, "Stop, he's already dead" comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Should've went full reboot or better yet, leave it alone. Sounds like they will probably try to do something like Ep7 - new characters, new stories, but rely on the characters of Neo and Trinity. Pity they both died already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Should've went full reboot or better yet, leave it alone. Sounds like they will probably try to do something like Ep7 - new characters, new stories, but rely on the characters of Neo and Trinity. Pity they both died already!

Woah.. spoilers

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

kerplun k wrote: »
    Jez, another one. The Simpsons meme, "Stop, he's already dead" comes to mind.
    "I sent two units. They're contracting the cast now."

"No, Lieutenant, your franchise is already dead."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

mloc123 wrote: »
    Woah.. spoilers

:eek:

If that means you won't see Revelations, you should be thanking me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Love to see a film version The Second Renaissance, no holding back the horror of the machines learning to use humans for energy :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think Fury Road came pretty close

Just can't get on board with the Keanu resurgence. He destroys every film with his wooden acting, how he has made a successful career as an actor is really astounding. That said he was well suited to the first matrix

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fury Road! Didn't see it on the big screen though, so missed the full experience with that one. Great movie though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Risky,seeing as their other projects werent great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Meh - the original is still great but I had to turn off Reloaded because it was so boring and by all accounts Revolutions is much worse. Part of the appeal of the first movie was the wow factor of the effects and the fight sequences, they can't recapture that.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

Seeing Fury Road in the cinema wasn't anywhere near as mind blowing as when I first saw the Matrix on DVD.

The matrix had it all. Ground breaking concept. Revolutionary effects. Incredibly well choreographed fights. Sharp and tight script. Breakthrough performance from Hugo Weaving.

Things that just hadn't been seen on screen before like the downloading of martial arts. The tooling up scene. Bullet time.

The closest thing we've had to a film that delivers on all of the above is Inception imo. And even that is nowhere near as good/ iconic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II cast in an unnamed lead role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember way back , immediately after the follow-on films were announced. The Wachowskis initially stated that the initial Matrix movie could have been any one of their planned trilogy. I believe during initial development of the follow-on movies that it was going to be the middle movie. That the first move was going to be about the guy who initially led the resistance (As described by Morpheus in the first movie).

Of course the studio never would have let this happen: "What? You want to have another movie with NONE of the original cast? But they are super famous now.... And then come back to them in 3 years or so? Nope. Make two more with that bunch."

While the other two were poor, I believe the first movie still holds up. Despite a very porly-researched article on BBC website which went on about how it's typical that the hero is white male..... Despite the fact the part was offered to Will Smith and Sandra Bullock first.

Anyway, yeah, the first still holds up in general. The effect it had on cinema can't be understated: Remember how EVERY movie seemed to have a Bullet-Time sequence for about 2 years after? Look at how dynamic car chases have become with cameras zipping around CGI cars at wheel-level. (For good or bad).

My only concern about another movie is that the Wachowskis need restraint. They need someone to say "No" to them:

Bound - taut little thriller. Possibly dated badly :) Haven't seen it in ages.
    The Matrix - Again, tight movie. Very little dross in the movie. For all the spectacle of Bullet Time and leaps there were few OTT action sequences: Chases were on foot. Flying was in the last second of the movie. Fights were confined and, while not realistic at all, at least it wasn't a Family Guy Chicken Fight. (EVERYONE remembers the little bit with the fingers to the throat :) ). Sure, you had the rescue/helicopter but you do have to have some spectacle..

Then you had the whole "Take all the money you need and do what you want": The other two Matrix movies had some interesting moments but spectacle took over.
    Speed Racer was so OTT visually that I got a migraine AND a toothache.
    Jupiter Ascending - Didn't know if it wanted to be a cross between a Terry Gilliam and Luc Besson movie (The whole protracted sequence with her trying to get credentials or something. I can't remember, I don't care) or a huge franchise Space Opera.

So they need limits. Many directors are the same: Peter Jackson is a prime example. From his earlier schlock horrors to the underrated The Frightners even, I would say, up to his Rings trilogy. While his LoTR trilogy was hugely expensive for the time, he was making three movies. He still had limits on what he could do technically and what the studio and audience wanted. His script was, again, tight. For such long movies, there was little that could be cut (Apart from about 30 minds from the end of Return of the King). Then look at King Kong. Hours upon hours of build-up. And the less said about The Hobbit trilogy the better. 9 hours or so of a 3 hour single movie.

So, ironically to my post: TLDR: Interested but they need limits

Also, the Animatrix is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheRodgers

will neo be trinity in this one and trinity be neo the old switch r roo

• Advertisement
Advertisement