Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a first. Trying to capitalise on a presume starved market. Or else shooting is way ahead of schedule. Hopefully post production isn't squeezed cos a matrix movie with bad FX is... well. The second matrix movie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I was always under the impression that the Matrix was a biblically inspired story. That the world we live in is under the control of evil forces and the "Real world" is something most people cant (or wont) see and experience. Similar in ways to John Carpenter's They live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

tunguska wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that the Matrix was a biblically inspired story. That the world we live in is under the control of evil forces and the "Real world" is something most people cant (or wont) see and experience. Similar in ways to John Carpenter's They live
    It has lots of influences. You have ideas like Plato's cave, and The Hero With a Thousand Faces, to pick two of the bigger ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This actually got it's release date moved up from April 2022 to December 2021.

Santa knows Kung fu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't realise it was so long since there was an update

For a film that was scheduled for release last month at one point, it's still adding cast members
    https://deadline.com/2021/06/christina-ricci-matrix-4-1234770248/

So either they're still filming, they just never mentioned her before, had to recast, add extra scenes or she's just doing voice work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The trailer was shown at a con last night in the States so expect it to arrive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sweet. It's about time as the movie comes out in 4 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One of those I had forgotten was in production TBH, seemed to do its thing under the radar.

I'd put a small shilling or two on the release being pushed back.

Actually, we also have an official name coming from CinemaCon: The Matrix: Resurrections.

@johnny_ultimate @Sad Professor you know it; time to change the thread name 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have no idea why I'm as pumped about seeing this as I am. Perhaps it was recently revisiting the sequels and thinking Revolutions was actually pretty solid - certainly a better film that I remembered seeing in the cinema (Reloaded is a stinker though, apart from the car chase).

But for whatever reason I'm actually really keen to see this, even though I know the odds are stacked heavily against it by nature of its mere existence (an unneeded sequel after most of the main characters 'died' rather definitively a film or two ago?). I'm braced for disappointment, but sign me up for a ticket and box of popcorn this December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've just watched Reloaded again and started on Revolutions.

Reloaded is a perfectly good movie, it just has a few stinkers in it. Cut out the big Zion dance and the sex scene (they implied that Neo and Trinity weren't shagging on board ship. Why the fvck not?), edit the insanely hammy speeches from Fishburne and do something to fix the abomination that is Toy-Story-Neo fighting a load of Smiths, and it'd be a great sequel.

On reflection there's nothing overly complicated or pretentious in it, even though that seemed to be everyone's opinion at the time.

I doubt the release will be pushed back as it is one of joint HBOMax/cinema releases and it released for Christmas week when people will be at home to give HBOMax a nice boost in subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Main characters died? I'm pretty certain the main characters were all alive and well by the end of 3, apart from Neo-Jesus but that wasn't even confirmed..

Nope, one was definitively killed.

Trinity was skewered when her and Neo's ship crashed into the Machine City.

Though given the Matrix being as it is, nobody's really dead in this world - there's an easy handwave possible to have an AI, digital consciousness version appear.

@pixelburp wrote:

Though given the Matrix being as it is, nobody's really dead in this world - there's an easy handwave possible to have an AI, digital consciousness version appear.

Well this is the thing, and it's not even really a hand-wavy lazy plot device. It's covered pretty well in the movies that the machines are masters of AI and the human brain. The ability of agents to move in and out of human brains, and the fact that the "One" is in effect a human reprogrammed by the machines, says that from the machines' point of view there is basically no difference to them between human "programs" and machine programs.

That is, the machines could easily choose to "save" a human consciousness in the Matrix as a program without a body. They don't though, because "every program must have a purpose, programs without a purpose are deleted". A human intelligence with no body, has no purpose.

So the machines having "uploaded" Neo and Trinity to the Matrix as part of the peace agreement isn't a huge jump. Or even having fixed them and plugged them back into the Matrix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh for sure there are very few series that have such room for insane excuses about why characters aren't actually dead or whatever. I think the problem with these kind of sequels though is that they undermine the sacrifices characters made - Neo and Trinity died in quite dramatic and 'meaningful' circumstances, so when you undo that for a sequel it makes those moments ring hollow when you revisit them. It's like watching The Avengers and thinking 'well, why should I care about Coulson dying when he was just resurrected for a TV series a year later?'

But - let me stress - I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. I wouldn't put it past Lana to have some fascinatingly eccentric reason why these characters are being resurrected. I'm (in theory anyway) in for whatever convoluted nonsense this sequel has to offer :)

There's apparently a gigantic amount of canon narrative from the Matrix Online, which I suspect the vast majority of people will be completely unaware of. I wonder like the Animatrix are they planning on releasing something beforehand to catch everyone up, or will they just do a "quick history of the last 20 years" in the opening scenes of the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Keanu carrying his Johnny Silverhand/John Wick look over to the matrix :D From how the trailer was described it sounds almost like a soft reboot of the series.

Well, as nonsense reasons for any character in Sci-Fi to return from the dead, digital consciousnesses make more "sense" than most scripts try for. In fact as immortality goes, it's generally used as the more believable, being as it is an expansion on technology we have. We see it in stories like Altered Carbon, where immortality is done via digitised "true" backups of ones soul.

Perhaps given what you say, the idea will be we meet Trinity / Neo who have a function as the "conscience" of the newly caring Matrix, or the human element keeping things in balance?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Or, was the "real world" of the original movies another layer of simulation? Would explain Neo's real world abilities/connection with the machines. I'm not sure I like the idea, but there are plenty of ways they can go about continuing the story. As mentioned above though, undoing the sacrifices made could be problematic...I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with it tbh.

Post edited by fitz on

Interesting tag line "reload reality"

If the "real world" was also another simulation... it would make sense. I mean how did neo take down the sentenal using his mind if not for the fact he's still plugged in to something. IIRC, they never gave an explanation for that.

And what Smith says in the first. About the turn of the century being used as it was the peak of mankind, man is a virus... but the real truth is, man is always at war, sooner accept that world as always fighting something, so why not let them fight machines. Not the real machines tho. Either zion falls, peace is made or peace is destroyed. We already now there are so many "ones" - one big loop. One big simulation within a simulation. As morphesus says born into bondage, a prison you will never see, taste or touch. But not the matrix as we know it.

It would be ballsy I tell you that lol. Not all fans would like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

That poster is fan-made, as is the tagline.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sense8 had the exact same problem as The Matrix in that it got very boring once the characters (and audience) had learned how the world worked. The excitement ended once they stopped learning and became masters of that worlds rules

I should amend my prior comment that this sequel doesn't involve the Wachowskis, plural; and as it happens Lilly recently chatted about her decision not to work on Matrix 4, and it's as one might speculate; a reluctance to return to prior pastures, albeit for more personal and emotional reasons, than artistic ones of going back to a successful well.

There was something about the idea of going backwards and being a part of something that I had done before that was expressly unappealing [...] Like, I didn’t want to have gone through my transition and gone through this massive upheaval in my life, the sense of loss from my mom and dad, to want to go back to something that I had done before and sort of walk over old paths that I had walked in, felt emotionally unfulfilling and really the opposite. Like I was going to go back and live in these old shoes in a way. And I didn’t want to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Was just watching the original movie on Netflix this morning, haven't seen it since it was released, same with both sequels. Remember thinking the first was good and the sequels less so, but the original is so much more impressive now watching it through more adult lenses.

Not so much that it's aged as a great movie (and it has aged pretty well), but just being so much more appreciative of how impacting it was on the sci-fi landscape back in 1999, as well as the enormous impact on pop culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I really hope they don’t ruin it with woke crap.

Ah, the 'aul union-mandated woke whinge boxtick. You might be a bit late to the news on that front; it was always "woke", they just hid it behind all the trailblazing action 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rewatched the trilogy during the first lockdown. Still love the first. The others on the other hand fared pretty badly.

I didn’t hate them on release. I was always amused at the amount of attention people gave to the auld dance hall in Zion. But if there’s one there’s one thing that struck me now, was how deeply “uncool” the sequels were. There’s a level of posturing you wouldn’t get at teenage disco. The ridiculously over wrought costume design inside the matrix. It went for effortlessly cool (but still studied) in the first to just effort. Looking like the worst of Paris fashion week. Surely IRL one would have dressed as a pony for the lols.

Advertisement