Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There are no spoilers in that review, you have picked that up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So sounds like more memberberry pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If empire are saying the movie is a skunk…. then it’s very likely a skunk or worse…. :(

Guardian review also terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is gonna be absolutely horrific isn't it.

All signals point to definitely... It can't be as bad as the second or third one can it?!

• Advertisement

I was going to watch it Christmas night… but it might actually ruin Christmas

Nice of the Wachowski brothers to let their sister direct but doesn't make for a good movie.

Although if Bradshaw in the Guardian doesn't like it than maybe I will. Hate most stuff he gives 5 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Could be a reference to not believing that Lana is really a woman, but is maybe just an autogynephilic BDSM fetishist, as was revealed in the now pulled, infamous Rolling Stone article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ive seen reviews saying that its the funniest Matrix film and its great fun.

I never like to hear that a film is fun, and the Matrix films werent funny in a deliberate manner.

Not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Thinking it can't be as bad as the second, suggests you lack imagination. I imagine it could be much worse.

Venom 2, should have been epic but it was a mess. Not seen Spider-man or Ghostbusters yet but have my expectations set pretty low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don’t post in this thread again. Take your trolling somewhere else

Folks stay on topic please

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Accordingly this will hit hbo max at 8am our time. So expect spoilers from 10am lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Spoiler.... the film is sh1t

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A couple of critics I've a lot of time for have been effusive in their praise for the film. Really looking forward to seeing it now, hopefully this week.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/12/the-matrix-resurrections-movie-review/621082/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I watched it earlier, its passable. Not a patch on the first movie of course but some of it was very good, obviously I won't say much just in case but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Ugh it was terrible

Really really terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought it was decent. As I and most predicted, not a patch on the first, but better than the sequels. They went a bit overboard on the meta stuff at the start, and Morpheus' whole inclusion in the film was entirely unnecessary, and clearly done just to have "Morpheus" in the film/trailers. The Merovingian as well was... oof....

There were also a lot of missed opportunities. The fights were pretty bland, missing the mark between the inventiveness of the first and the overblown cgi-fest of the sequels.

All that said, it was a decent watch. I really liked New-Smith, even though performance-wise he's not a patch on Weaving, I enjoyed his character evolution in this. Neo and Trinity were terrific as you'd expect, and the general story was okay.

Just back from watching this. It's not as bad as I feared, but obviously not a patch on the original. There's plenty of throwback nostalgia nods to the original, although some of it is overdone, with trying to basically just replicate particular scenes. My teenage daughter who has only seen the original once, also enjoyed it. Although it is better than the first two sequels, it would hold no re-watch value for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Just out of it there and I liked it.

Love the kickback to the original film and the adjustment of the new world tbh.

New Smith I get he's way more fun but Merv swung it for me quality over acting.

Nice to see Sense8s again🤣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My review.

It's a good movie. Not great, not bad.

The end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

God, this was tedious. It felt like a remake of the original film and it was peppered with clips from the trilogy for no unfathomable reason beyond perhaps the director thinking we'd forgotten said trilogy. Spiderman: No Way Home rewarded people who'd seen the previous sets of films with references but this felt like having nostalgia rammed down my throat rather than the new Matrix story I was expecting.

The action sequences were completely banal, I don't remember the soundtrack at all save for Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit. The closest thing there was to a new idea was hinting with all the subtlety of being walloped with a brick that Jessica Henwick's character is non-binary.

I consider myself quite forgiving when it comes to many things but I truly despise being bored in a cinema.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

On your point about nostalgia being rammed down your throat, I think you misunderstood what was happening here. The first hour of the film is a clear critique of the current state of Hollywood remakes/reboots, etc. In fact, the line by Morpheus 'Nothing like a bit of nostalgia to comfort people's anxiety' says it all. Spiderman is pure nostalgia wankery and revels in it, but that is part of the charm of MCU so it gets a pass. Although, I would agree the flashbacks in Resurrections weren't necessary. The original Matrix treated their audience as intelligent and let them digest the plot and it's intricacies in their own time, and they should have taken the same approach with this - we didn't need to see 'connections or links'. In short, if you didn't see the originals, you shouldn't be at this film.

Resurrections is without a doubt a sequel. So, if you are expecting a reboot/remake/remaster, rest assured, you won't get that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see your point. The problem there though is that whoever wrote this thought that one or two hints wouldn't be sufficient so they had to have Anderson's business partner give him the name of their giant parent company, Warner Bros. as if he wouldn't have known it already.

It could have worked as a tongue-in-cheek quip but it just became tedious.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The throwbacks are the lamest thing of the whole movie. Sadly, I don't think this movie surpasses even Revolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Went to see it earlier and it's atrocious. I found myself nodding off after 20 minutes, it was just boring. Keanu reeves comes across like he's perpetually baked, his delivery is really stilted and forced. Its not a good movie, simple as that. I'd recommend avoiding this one and not parting with any of your hard earned cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

You're spot on.

Random shout out here but Matrix 4 reminded me of Saw 3. In Saw 3, they just kept showing clips of Saw 1 (which was a better movie than it gets credit for) hoping you'd forget how bad the new movie is.

I'd say more but don't want to get close to spoiling.

Advertisement