Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

The only way I'm swallowing this reborquel (soft-reboot-sequel) is if it turns out that the whole story takes place during a maintenance window on the Matrix, during which some sloppy IT guys made a balls of the patching and code upgrade and the only reason that everybody's back is because they had to do a restore from an old backup to get everything up and running again....

Also, given how increasingly ridiculous the John Wick sequels have become, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if chapter 4 ends with a post credit scene of Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves sat on a couch with PS5 controllers in hand saying ‘Dude! Best vidya game evaaaaaa!’ That at least would explain why all the NPC’s or ‘public’ keep disappearing whenever a gunfight breaks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

They could go super meta and have the Matrix store all its backing data in a Data Centre in Kildare, but due to power outages this winter they have to turn to human batteries to keep it ticking over.

I still think the final episode of Lost should have been a plane touching down in LA, and with the bump you see Jack waking up and saying to himself "Oh... It was all a dream!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

LOL. Then they run out of people to power their DR site and have to start plugging sheep from the Curragh into the Matrix and suddenly you have all these sooper kool leather clad people wondering confused around the streets of the Matrix baaaaa-ing at each other....

• Advertisement

Interesting... A Matrix/Shaun the Sheep crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah Reloaded and Revolutions aren't so bad if you just fast forward to the fight scenes, ignore the cringy dance scene in the cave, pretend the sex scene doesn't happen and go make a cup of tea/coffee during the overly long speeches. Also keeping in mind that Commander Jason Locke, despite being portrayed as a bit of a dick, isn't actually a bad guy at all. In fact he's understandably sceptical about everything to do with Neo and just wants to make sure humanity has another chance of survival.

edit: I am cautiously optimistic for this movie. I have a soft spot for Keanu like many other people do, and while the more recent John Wick movies have departed from the original (much like the Matrix), they're still good movies. I hope they don't go overly pretentious, as was so bad in Revolutions.

My personal theory is that this Neo is another version, and not the one from the last movie. But due to the anomaly that is the One, he's retained some key memories from his past existence, hence the connection to Trinity when he sees her. Neil Patrick Harris is part of the Matrix, I reckon a machine put in place to try and keep Neo docile, hence the blue pills he's fed.

So far no sign of Hugo Weaving in the film, which is a shame, but his program was destroyed after all so it wouldn't make much sense to have him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I was very doubtful about this after the mess that was the 3rd film(whos name I cant even recall it was that bad)but the trailer actually looks really good. They've hooked me in and in all likelihood it'll end in disappointment, but there is a small chance that this could be something very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

I don't get the hate for parts two and three. Especially part two. Once all the crap with Zion and the party was out of the way it an amazing action movie from there on. We learnt loads too about the machines and how they operate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The storyline for this film is just so obvious that I'm not even sure I'll go to see it.

It's pretty clear that because the Matrix was running on a really old platform, with an absolute load of hacks, modifications, and sticky-tape holding it all together, the new architect was forced to upgrade to a new platform. The problem begins when they take the matrix down to do the migration, as the company that they outsourced the work to completely miffs the upgrade, with the system being down for a week instead of a couple of days. When the three overworked architects assigned to the Matrix Resurrection finally get the system back up and running, the problems really start.

It's running really slow, no one can find their way around, the agents don't have any weapons or tools, there's spam all over the place, users email addressed are displayed in public, and even their monetization platform is busted. Neo, previously banished, enters the fray, complaining incessantly, saying things along the lines of "the Matrix is dead", "you've killed it", "blast it with piss", "Reddit is better", "etc". Believing himself the hero of the story, he goes around insulting users, agents and admins alike, constantly complaining, never recognising the hard work that the architects have put in just to get it back to a semi-usable state.

Well, it's probably along those lines. Probably

• Advertisement

That sounds very familiar. Was that the plot of another movie?

Yes, I think it was called Billy and the Cloneasaurus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It turns out they were running on Windows 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

One of the rare times, I'm genuinely upset I can't thank a post more than once. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh, I thought the two sequels got better over time. It’s very hard for any movie sequel to match its predecessors, especially something as ground breaking as matrix with that nee action camera stuff.

Some of the action sequences were spectacular, not least the Neo fight with the lads on the stairs , the fight on the motorway and the actual machines destroying Zion.

Looking forward to this sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Trailer looks great. The Matrix was THE movie of my teenage years. It blew my mind. I was there for opening night of the second Matrix, and opening weekend of the third. I haven't been this hyped for a movie in a long time.

Sure 2 & 3 didn't hit the mark of the original, but they are still great movies and hopefully this one will address their two biggest failings... the over-indulgence by the directors in their more eclectic tastes (did the gimp suits and cave orgies really add anything), and the CGI not being able to match the ambition/vision of the directors. On that second point, they pushed the technology of the time too hard to achieve their vision and, aside from the motorway chase and stair fight, a lot of the action hasn't aged as well as what they did in the original. The technology available today though has me drooling at what Resurrections will throw at me.

I remember years ago loving all the hype around Matrix: Reloaded and religiously watched the various behind the scenes shows that would come online and on MTV. I watched in amazement when they went through the whole process of filming the Burly Brawl scene, and just how much time and effort they spent on practical effects for the scene to keep it looking as real as possible.

Was a little bit pissed when the movie came out and clearly at various points, while it had been done practically, they'd obviously CGI'd Neo at various points and he looked like a PS2 era character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Burly Brawl is probably the worst looking major CG set piece in any film of its scale. Appalling stuff. The motorway scene mostly looks cool though, one or two PS2-quality CG models aside.

Revolutions actually really impressed me when I rewatched it recently. Hated it on release. But it’s a really solid action blockbuster honestly, and has much more character and energy than most modern blockbusters. Not a masterpiece, but perfectly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This is only my theory.... but it looks like the machines have put neo in the matrix after matrix 3.

But in the trailer when neo looks into the mirror and a brief old face appears, that's him. That something like 30 years have past since matrix 3 ending and this.

His "digital self" (how he looks as described in matrix 1) isn't really acturate of how old he truly is. It would also explain why Larry Fishbourne's Morpheus isn't around as he could have died. But then the bigger question still remains - how is there seemingly a younger morpheus floating about..

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I actually just finished Revolutions like an hour ago, and pretty much felt the same. It's a bit over long but I actually enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Still nothing on the original Matrix movie, but that was such a new thing at the time, and honestly I think a lot of people (including myself) had no real clue about just how far that movie would go.

However, each time I watch Reloaded I always remember that skit from the MTV awards years ago with Justin Timberlake and Sean William Scott.

The MTV Movie Awards Reloaded - YouTube

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was my theory too: Neo was inserted back into the Matrix at the end of Matrix 3, either as reward or punishment for his actions in the original trilogy. To give him what they thought might be a fulfilling life - but the malaise has slowly caused him to question his worth/ existence.

To the last point

Morpheus is around; he's who Yahya Abdul-Mateen II  is playing. Or at least, that's what Abdul-Mateen inferred in a recent social media post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So maybe he's been put back in to the Matrix to live the life of an actor á la Cypher's wishes in the first film. The flashbacks in the trailer that look like reshot scenes from the first movie are actually memories of the films he thinks he has been in. And when he starts confusing his real life with that of the roles he has played, he goes to see NPH. Or something even more meta that I can't even...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'll have to watch the first 3 again. I've not seen them in years and can't really remember all that well. The trailer looks class. White Rabbit helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I could totally buy that the machines kept both Neo and Trinity alive and in stasis after TM3, and even that they were inserted back into the Matrix as a sort of 'break glass in case of emergency' that they kept control over in case another 'Smith' type bug cropped up. Like an external superuser in case the machines themselves lost control. As said with that flash of 'old Keanu', I could believe that this is even 100 or so years later, with the machines keeping them alive that long. And the next rotation of cloned characters can be the trigger for things starting back up, as the new iteration of Morpheus comes through.

Speaking of which, it does make sense to me that the machines would use cloning rather than going through the hassle of artificial insemination to create new unique humans. From the point of view of using them as batteries, you don't care if they're unique, you just need the bodies, and cloning seems the simpler way to achieve this. Every time someone dies, a baby version of them just takes their own place again. This kind of feeds into the existing mythos of the whole cycle running through over and over again too.

As an aside, I rewatched 2 and 3 a few weeks back, and enjoyed them a lot more than I had on first viewing. Certain things in particular stood out as quite clever and innovative for the time, especially in the second one - everything that takes place in-matrix is written as if our gang are conscious players in a game. Same as when we ourselves play computer games, we know the whole thing is already written, but we have to go through it without knowing the outcome - but we know there IS a scripted outcome. The narrative feels just like that, that the characters are pushing through the in-world challenges against the programs from the perspective of 'players' (which of course they are, being humans against programs). All the challenges feel like scripted in-game puzzles, like just when they hit a dead end, Neo is given the challenge to kiss Monica Bellucci like he loves her. 3 is more annoying alright though, with so little fun-time Matrix stuff and far too much Zion, but I still enjoyed it more than I had previously.

If you freeze frame at the start of the trailer with the flashing images you can see neo's body being readied to be inserted into the matrix. But if you pay extra attention you can see that his eyes are burned from the fight he had with smith in "human" form in matrix revolutions.

Also, when neo and trinity are in the apartment you can see trinity cry "matrix" code. Very subtle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Good trailer. I am intrigued by this where as previously I couldn’t have cared less.

I assume Priyanka Copra (the young Indian woman will big glasses) is the Oracle reborn? Or maybe the young Indian girl now grown up from the third film?

Here's another tidbit:

If you freeze on Trinity when she is screaming you can see multiple versions of herself but not all are actress Carrie Ann Moss. Some are of an Asian actress wearing the same clothes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Burly Brawl didn't even convince on release, at least for me anyway. I had a watch of the scene last night and it's so, so very bad. A very good example of why a larger budget and fewer limitations or oversight don't equate to a superior final product. Maybe the FX studio promised more than they could deliver but after The Matrix's lauded physicality the rubbery nonsense of the Burly Brawl was like whiplash.

And while I wouldn't normally crib about that sort of thing, the design of the human mechs in Revolutions really annoyed me for their total impracticality; between the dangerously exposed pilot, or the idiotic way of reloading - done purely as a lazy excuse for a set piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Can someone bookmark this post for post of the year? Brilliant

Advertisement