Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is the christmas events still up? they had allot of the fans still playing a bit worried about that.
    Yup; the event is now extended until end of Feb. because they got nothing to replace it with. As for the overhaul; sure thing. Ignore me sitting here in the corner giggling because we're talking EA and Bioware here; chances of that overhaul is close to zero as you can get. Anthem was only mentioned as an example on how to connect it to a mobile app in the last major discussion with stockholders etc. but they will throw all these resources at it now to fix everything; sure they will and they are not in any way lying to the public or something instead, no they would never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Nody wrote: »
    Yup; the event is now extended until end of Feb. because they got nothing to replace it with. As for the overhaul; sure thing. Ignore me sitting here in the corner giggling because we're talking EA and Bioware here; chances of that overhaul is close to zero as you can get. Anthem was only mentioned as an example on how to connect it to a mobile app in the last major discussion with stockholders etc. but they will throw all these resources at it now to fix everything; sure they will and they are not in any way lying to the public or something instead, no they would never do that.

News of the overhaul was leaked and reported on long before this confirmation from Bioware themselves, so it seems legitimate.

In any event, what would Bioware stand to gain by explicitly confirming that they are working on a relaunch, if they weren't actually working on a relaunch? :confused: Sound logic right there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

goon_magee wrote: »
    News of the overhaul was leaked and reported on long before this confirmation from Bioware themselves, so it seems legitimate.

In any event, what would Bioware stand to gain by explicitly confirming that they are working on a relaunch, if they weren't actually working on a relaunch? :confused: Sound logic right there.
    To keep the few players still around (Christmas decorations in February, really...); to give an excuse to add more monetization to the game (hey guys, if you don't buy this stuff we can't complete the rework) and to frame a reason for people to come back and pay more for the "relaunch" after buying a $60 beta.

Nody wrote: »
    To keep the few players still around (Christmas decorations in February, really...); to give an excuse to add more monetization to the game (hey guys, if you don't buy this stuff we can't complete the rework) and to frame a reason for people to come back and pay more for the "relaunch" after buying a $60 beta.

I mean you have every right to be sceptical, I just don't think they would be stupid enough to come out with a reveal that basically confirms Anthem 2.0 unless it was something they intend to deliver. Bioware is already on thin ice, it would make no sense from a reputational standpoint to do something so daft.

That and the fact that this overhaul leaked way ahead of any official announcement would suggest to me it is legit and something already being worked on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Great news but lets wait and see before getting too excited :)
    The core gameplay and combat in Anthem is exceptional but everything else is terrible.
    A bunch of talented devs with really poor executive decisions all across the board while at the same time rushing it out the door.

Seems to be a recurring theme with looter game devs that panic when their game fails and then they rethink things and try to rebuild a loot and progression system that should be there from the beginning.
    Bungie somewhat turned it around with Destiny 2 if Anthem gets a decent system in place ill revisit for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Its EA and its also Casey Hudson whom was a key architect in the current **** show.

It will be a case of wait and see rather than giving them blind faith on delivering something.

Bungie turned it around because they essentially played the politics of their partnership with Activision and said they were forced into it. Bioware doesn't have the ability to do that.

I get it though we have seen the likes of Final Fantasy and No mans sky rebuild but the hype train would be wise to settle until they see what they can produce, as EA doesn't do failed ventures and normally scraps if they see no money being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I dont see anyone "taking it on blind faith" its going to be good,most people are saying there happy to see a game they enjoyed potentially being improved in the areas that it really needed to work on.

Don't see anyone here but other places online there is still a bit of that smug bioware will sort us crap.

Ugh,yeah i dont get that either.

Im hopeful because i think the game has potential bit it defo be a wait and see kinda thing. They have a long way to go

I hope they do also, i mean your basically Iron Man. It should be super fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

I start playing this before Christmas. I had been one of those people dismissing it out of hand. My main gripe was with the game was the visuals. The game reveal trailer had set my expectations so high (this was going to be a benchmark for my Xbox One X) that anything else would be a disappointment.

Starting from a base of low expectations I was pleasantly surprised by how well the game plays. The mechanics are excellent and extremely tight and flight is a joy. Despite never matching (or coming close) to the reveal trailer the game aesthetics are excellent.

Community wise the game seems deserted from an online perspective but I was happy enough to play this through solo.

If you're on the fence about it I would suggest to give it a try. It can be picked up for next to nothing and is available on EA Access.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

After playing the game in solo are you trying the end game stuff solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

dreamers75 wrote: »
    After playing the game in solo are you trying the end game stuff solo?

Not yet, just at the end of the campaign now. I'm guessing solo for this is a no-go?

Well i reckon anyone still playing the game is running strongholds so ye might get a bit of matchmaking going in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hello games can get away with the STFU approach EA and Bioware with investor calls and what not cant.

Also I reckon the reason they are fixing it is to do with sales mainly a lack of them, I reckon more people have played that game than bought by a considerable amount. I played it twice via EA Premier as did most that I know.

So it 100 played it and 25 bought and almost every single person says the same thing "combat is awesome, thats it tho". Have never read or heard of one person who didnt think the combat wasnt awesome.

dreamers75 wrote: »

At this stage, I really have to question if people care enough to give this a second chance, even if the game gets glowing praise when it relaunches. When this game comes up on podcasts I listen to, the one thing I constantly hear is, "well look at what Square Enix achieved with Final Fantasy 14, so anything is possible for Anthem". The problem with that comparison is the fact that FF is an established franchise that people have a lot of emotional attachment to. Not the case with Anthem, after the sh!t show the launch was, people have no reason to want this to succeed or reason to believe this can succeed, purely because most people's experience with Anthem resulted in a resounding "meh".

I think the only chance this has at garnering any sort of attention or substantial player base is to time the relaunch/overhaul with the launch of next-gen. Early adopters seem a lot more open to playing whatever on new systems, largely because of the pretty limited nature of launch line-ups, so if Bioware/EA can get their ducks in a row for holiday season, former players may return out of curiosity, and everyone else might just check it out because they want to try something out on their shiny new systems.

Other than that I just don't see this making any impact, especially not when you have Bungie likely working on something big for Destiny to release in the near future, and other new shared world MMO lite games like Godfall and Outriders slated for holiday 2020 releases.

To me it's simple enough,if they make the game good enough people will play it. Simple as that.

Saying people wont give it a chance because it wasnt good on launch isn't really how I would see it.

Dont get me wrong,they have a long way to go. It's actually disappointing to hear there only starting the process now,I mean so far it's literally all talk from them.

But as games like No Mans Sky have proven,any game is redeemable as long as the game turns out to actually be fun to play.

The game should still be playable on PS5 and Xbox Series X givin backward compatibility,PC too givin how that platform works. I'd agree a specific patch to upgrade the game for those consoles would be a nice way to help it though. Cant see givin the size of the team how they could get anything major done in less than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New blog post from Bioware. Looks like they are completely redesigning the game.

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/10/28/anthem-update-javelin-gameplay-builds/

One of the skill trees in Frostbite engine
    Frostbite.png
    1-Loadout-Loop.gif

2-Tree-Loop.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Wow, I was certain we wouldn't hear from them again.

Really hope this has a happy ending. Its got so much potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

One of the skill trees in Frostbite engine
    Frostbite.png

Is that not someone trying to draw a star destroyer coming straight at them in Microsoft excel?

I'm more than willing to give the game another go purely based on how much I enjoyed the core gameplay. If they can make the game around it compelling enough then I could see me sticking around for a while for my looter fix.

If they pick a quiet enough release window next year and go free to play, or at the very least offer a free next gen upgrade for existing players, then I could see people jumping back in to test the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

goon_magee wrote: »

If they pick a quiet enough release window next year and go free to play, or at the very least offer a free next gen upgrade for existing players, then I could see people jumping back in to test the water.

Pffft, its EA, They'll slap a "2" at the end of the title and make you pay for it all over again :pac:

I wouldnt want F2P,especially since its EA.

Make the game good,build on the aspects some of us liked about the game. Sell the game the way they currently are and IF they manage to make it a success then they can worry about charging for an expansion or some such.

If they want more money or increase the grind dramatically because of change of business model id be out. Deliver the game you promised then we can talk about more money

EoinHef wrote: »
    I wouldnt want F2P,especially since its EA.

Make the game good,build on the aspects some of us liked about the game. Sell the game the way they currently are and IF they manage to make it a success then they can worry about charging for an expansion or some such.

If they want more money or increase the grind dramatically because of change of business model id be out. Deliver the game you promised then we can talk about more money

Yeah I agree it would be a bad move in that sense. When I talk about it going F2P though I'm more thinking of a Destiny 2 New Light style experience, make the base game free, but then build on that with paid content if they can gather up enough momentum to warrant further content. Not necessarily going full F2P, but offering a little incentive to at least try the game for those who never jumped on board first time round due to bad press etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Likewise , since EA are involved dont go F2P.

If they do what Bethesda have done with fallout 76 ie totally transforming a disastrous launch into a brilliant game in two years then they are onto a winner but can they really do it?

Id say they can definitely do it,question is will EA be willing to part with the cash nessacery to do it.

Bioware have obviously been givin some room to maneuvere as there working on it now but how much scope they have is still pretty unknown.

Advertisement