Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

spurshero wrote: »
    If Galway get a home draw I think you will be looking at a very small crowd . As one lad said to me today 35 euro to watch a team handpass the ball back the way 11 times in a row is not my idea of enjoyment . Supporters are completely passed off and it’s hard to blame them

And stuck in traffic for 3 hours for the privelige.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

threeball wrote: »
    Did he even come out and give an interview yesterday or did he go to ground?

He’s away to ground I’d say.
    The Connacht tribune should be good this Thursday.i hope they tell it as it is.

spurshero wrote: »
    If Galway get a home draw I think you will be looking at a very small crowd . As one lad said to me today 35 euro to watch a team handpass the ball back the way 11 times in a row is not my idea of enjoyment . Supporters are completely passed off and it’s hard to blame them

35 euro x2 adults,2 kids,your diesel,parking and a bite to eat and maybe a drink.
    That’s an expensive day out when that’s the “football” they produce.

35 euro x2 adults,2 kids,your diesel,parking and a bite to eat and maybe a drink.
    That’s an expensive day out when that’s the “football” they produce.

With the way both championships are now structured and with both codes totalling almost 30 intercounty games combined, it's going to very difficult for supporters to maintain interest over the years and also afford going to all those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    I think it's clear Shane is our best player by some distance. People saying he had a poor game yesterday but in the first half he created everything, can't be relying on him to beat his man and create something everytime. When nobody else was stepping up and even attempting to take their man on it just became too easy to cover. Damo is badly needed to take some of the pressure off and then the likes of McDaid, Daly, Molloy who have the pace and skill to beat a man have to take charge too.

Hopefully they'll get the chance to try, Molloy in particular wasn't given too much of a chance yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Hopefully they'll get the chance to try, Molloy in particular wasn't given too much of a chance yesterday!

I dont think Molloy was fit as he was struggling with an ankle injury in the lead up to the match. When he went up for a ball from a kick out, he seemed to land on his ankle and you could see that he struggled to get back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

As much as Cunningham deserves huge credit but I'd imagine the changes made at half time weren't all down to his tactical nous. In the all Ireland in 2015 he didn't react to Kilkenny flooding the Galway half forward line in the second half so I don't think he's turned into a master technician overnight but I'd imagine he has surrounded himself with a very good back room team and credit to him.
    There's a series of rabbits caught in headlights on the Galway sideline.

Have you ever considered that there were some rabbits caught in headlights in the galway hurlers in that final? Kilkenny flooding the galway half forward line wouldnt be an issue if everyone marked their man and enough of them won their individual battle...
    It always strikes me how galway hurlers are held as the golden calf in galway, whereas they give their footballers over the top criticism. It is strange quirk.
    For all the derision galway fans send mayos way as regards the way they view their footballers, they are as bad and worse with their own hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He was excellent last year. He had a bad (actually terrible) game yesterday but it happens. Doesn't mean he's not a very good player. Just that he had a bad day.

Probably the worst I've ever seen him play to be honest. He must have fumbled every ball kicked into him. For a fella who usually has great hands.

He was well marked out of the game by David Murray who is a very tigerish marker and he also held Kevin McLoughlin scoreless in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

As much as Cunningham deserves huge credit but I'd imagine the changes made at half time weren't all down to his tactical nous. In the all Ireland in 2015 he didn't react to Kilkenny flooding the Galway half forward line in the second half so I don't think he's turned into a master technician overnight but I'd imagine he has surrounded himself with a very good back room team and credit to him.
    There's a series of rabbits caught in headlights on the Galway sideline.

Have you ever considered that there were some rabbits caught in headlights in the galway hurlers in that final? Kilkenny flooding the galway half forward line wouldnt be an issue if everyone marked their man and enough of them won their individual battle...
    It always strikes me how galway hurlers are held as the golden calf in galway, whereas they give their footballers over the top criticism. It is strange quirk.
    For all the derision galway fans send mayos way as regards the way they view their footballers, they are as bad and worse with their own hurlers.

Nonsense. I didn't come at this from any angle you're suggesting, comparing the hurlers to footballers. Read it again, I'm discussing Cunningham and I think the tactics are more than likely a joint effort. Obviously I could be wrong but from what I saw in the hurling, which you'd assume is his strongest suit, he wasnt a master tactician. Was always known as a great motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Galway hurlers were in the All-Ireland final....

Galway footballers are losing to Tipperary in qualifiers, roscommon in connacht final*2, monaghan in super 8s (not a bad loss granted - but a win would have been tactically better) - the list of defeats or collapses goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭threeball

Nonsense. I didn't come at this from any angle you're suggesting, comparing the hurlers to footballers. Read it again, I'm discussing Cunningham and I think the tactics are more than likely a joint effort. Obviously I could be wrong but from what I saw in the hurling, which you'd assume is his strongest suit, he wasnt a master tactician. Was always known as a great motivator.

My only issue with what you said is that you didnt need to be a master tactician to halt galway yesterday. You just had to stop the runners through the centre. Nearly all galways first half scores came from that channel. A total novice to the game would see how to stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    I think it's clear Shane is our best player by some distance. People saying he had a poor game yesterday but in the first half he created everything, can't be relying on him to beat his man and create something everytime. When nobody else was stepping up and even attempting to take their man on it just became too easy to cover. Damo is badly needed to take some of the pressure off and then the likes of McDaid, Daly, Molloy who have the pace and skill to beat a man have to take charge too.

Ml. Daly, for all his attributes, doesn't have pace to beat a man. Tactics are all well and good, but if the players don't have the heart, courage or gumption to take hold of the game and try to turn it around, no amount of reconfiguring will change things. Really disappointed in that aspect yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He was well marked out of the game by David Murray who is a very tigerish marker and he also held Kevin McLoughlin scoreless in the semi final.

Burke was out in front plenty times. He was in position to make plays. In the first half at least when there was some ball coming into him. He just fumbled or dropped most of the ball sent his way.

And was slipping a lot as well. Like he didn’t have the right studs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

I think for the footballers the management team has run its course. As has been mentioned Kevin Walsh should be thanked for bringing Galway up to Division 1 and into the Top 5-6 teams in the country last year. We needed to implement a more defensive approach. However we have regressed and a fresh voice is required. We haven't added an attacking dimension similar to what Donegal did in the past. They devised a defensive approach but then were able to adapt it to attack and won an All Ireland that way. We haven't been able to do that and now the defensive side of things is not working either. Our style of play does not work if we are behind in games and need to chase it.

I can see a situation that we lose relatively closely to a team coming through the qualifiers with some momentum or if we get through to the super 8 we will take a heavy beating in 1 or 2 games like the end of all our championships in recent years. Maybe this is required for the management change to occur.

Pádraic Joyce on last Sunday's Connacht SFC final vs Roscommon

"The footballers were poor. They seemed to have the game won at half-time and just didn't perform in the second-half at all. They seemed to let it go away. Just after half-time, as manager you'd be telling a team if I was five points up to go six points, seven points up and kill the game. We conceded 1-1 straight away and the lead was wiped out in six minutes.

"We didn't push on then. I wouldn't mind we had the breeze as well. It's hard to put your finger on it. Sometimes if the tide turns against you it's very hard to turn it around, but we still had enough players to stand up, take account of it and manufacture a few scores or frees to steady the tide."

What does Joyce feel about the criticism of Kevin Walsh's approach? "He's probably just getting it because traditionally Galway would have been a free-flowing county," Joyce replies.

"We've lost shoot-outs over the years and we got criticised for that as well. When you lose, the manager is always to blame. No matter what, they'll always blame the manager, but I think it's unfair a lot of the criticism he gets.

"He was a brilliant footballer himself for Galway and a great ambassador for Galway. At the end of the day, okay he can set-up tactically whatever way he wants but the players are on the pitch.

"There are senior players that are there a lot of years, you can't be spoon-feeding them all the time what to be doing. They should know themselves how to play and where to go at certain times."

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Pádraic Joyce on last Sunday's Connacht SFC final vs Roscommon

"The footballers were poor. They seemed to have the game won at half-time and just didn't perform in the second-half at all. They seemed to let it go away. Just after half-time, as manager you'd be telling a team if I was five points up to go six points, seven points up and kill the game. We conceded 1-1 straight away and the lead was wiped out in six minutes.

"We didn't push on then. I wouldn't mind we had the breeze as well. It's hard to put your finger on it. Sometimes if the tide turns against you it's very hard to turn it around, but we still had enough players to stand up, take account of it and manufacture a few scores or frees to steady the tide."

What does Joyce feel about the criticism of Kevin Walsh's approach? "He's probably just getting it because traditionally Galway would have been a free-flowing county," Joyce replies.

"We've lost shoot-outs over the years and we got criticised for that as well. When you lose, the manager is always to blame. No matter what, they'll always blame the manager, but I think it's unfair a lot of the criticism he gets.

"He was a brilliant footballer himself for Galway and a great ambassador for Galway. At the end of the day, okay he can set-up tactically whatever way he wants but the players are on the pitch.

"There are senior players that are there a lot of years, you can't be spoon-feeding them all the time what to be doing. They should know themselves how to play and where to go at certain times."

He's not going to come out and criticise Walsh as he hopes to be in the hot seat himself in the future. Yes the players deserve some criticism but we've been looking at the same slop for 4yrs and the turnover of players is nearly 50% between that team and this. If most games have the same pattern over a 4yr span I'm afraid it more than likely falls on the manager. He has to give them the tools to work with and the team he named last week was doomed to failure.

I said around this time last week that the half backs were too slow and full forwards to small to have an effective gameplan and it came to pass. Perhaps he's being diplomatic but if Joyce can't see that then maybe there's a problem there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

I see Martin Brehony is calling on Kevin Walsh to contact Daithi Burke to join the football squad.

For Daithi sake, I would hope he doesn't join them. He looked burnt out with the hurlers and needs a break from the game.

Also if I was a squad player training since last November (I know Daithi has been too) and a hurler was brought into the squad and played ahead of me - I would be rightly pissed off. It wouldn't be good for team morale in the squad - even if he did join the squad back in 2014 after hurlers were knocked out by tipp.

Heard last night there was a big row with the footballers over the goal keeper selection last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

donnem33 wrote: »
    I see Martin Brehony is calling on Kevin Walsh to contact Daithi Burke to join the football squad.

For Daithi sake, I would hope he doesn't join them. He looked burnt out with the hurlers and needs a break from the game.

Also if I was a squad player training since last November (I know Daithi has been too) and a hurler was brought into the squad and played ahead of me - I would be rightly pissed off. It wouldn't be good for team morale in the squad - even if he did join the squad back in 2014 after hurlers were knocked out by tipp.

Yeah I can't see it happening tbh

The Tuam herald is out today.should be interesting what they say about the football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

I think Joyce is just being diplomatic as you said. I imagine he is quite friendly with Kevin Walsh after all the years playing together. And as the front runner for the job afterwards, he's not going to rock the boat. The point about the players has merit too and they are not beyond criticism.

I don't think bringing in Daithi Burke is a good idea. Hopefully the hurlers going out in June is a freak occurrence. What happens when he goes back with the hurlers? We need to build a team that is going to stick together and not be impacted by guys going back to hurling or going to America, etc.

Generally the Tuam Herald would be quite mild compared to some of the stuff here and on other forums. I don't think anything it would say would have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

Agreed, Herald is too diplomatic to be really scathing of the current setup.

Daithi would walk on to that team, do you think the likes of GOD, Flynn, Heaney, Duggan etc. are better footballers? Like others though, I hope he takes a good rest (unlikely, with Corofin probably tacitly gong for a 3-in-a-row). He was/is still on course for being our best ever no. 3 at hurling level, (even if I think he would improve things at no. 6).

Don't think Power did the warm-up with the others on the pitch pre-match Sunday? Breathnach was out there instead?

MfMan wrote: »

Daithi would walk on to that team, do you think the likes of GOD, Flynn, Heaney, Duggan etc. are better footballers? Like others though, I hope he takes a good rest (unlikely, with Corofin probably tacitly gong for a 3-in-a-row). He was/is still on course for being our best ever no. 3 at hurling level, (even if I think he would improve things at no. 6).

Don't think Power did the warm-up with the others on the pitch pre-match Sunday? Breathnach was out there instead?

He did the warm up, himself and Lavelle were first out before the rest

MfMan wrote: »

From what I heard power has enough of the boll1xin that’s going on in there and let his feelings be heard

From what I heard power has enough of the boll1xin that’s going on in there and let his feelings be heard

If he did it's very hard to blame him and he's dead right to be honest.

Fully agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hasn't been well handled. Naming a goalie to start and then not playing him is well plain stupid in my opinion unless it's a late injury. Which it wasn't. Lavelle wasn't particularly happy when he was dropped for the Sligo game either. I don't think either goalie really knows where they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Hasn't been well handled. Naming a goalie to start and then not playing him is well plain stupid in my opinion unless it's a late injury. Which it wasn't. Lavelle wasn't particularly happy when he was dropped for the Sligo game either. I don't think either goalie really knows where they stand.

Totally agree with this. Just pick one and stick with it. From what I hear, Power knew Thursday he was replaced but even still it shows that KW is still not settled on his best keeper. I don't think there is a comparison between them but KW is entitled to pick who he wants - just do it though.

I know there would have been issues with commitment from Power in the past but Rochford and Kevin O'Brien were always able to work with him in Corofin. Its telling that Brian Silke didn't really pick him when he was manager of Corofin.

The Tuam herald is out today.should be interesting what they say about the football.

Tuam Herald never has a bad word to say about anyone. I've never seen one controversial thing in that paper in my lifetime.

Daithi should avoid the footballers like the plague. The players need to decide this week if they're really happy with management and the set up in general. If not they need to lay it out in no uncertain terms. If they're not heard or lads are dropped for complaining they should walk. Daithi walking into what is almost certainly a toxic environment would be nuts.

Hurl with Turlough and football with Corofin and the year will be well long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Daithi needs a break anyway. He looked below his best for the hurlers this year. He's been on a crazy schedule in recent years with repeated long runs for Corofin and Galway.

Advertisement