Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

Time for Walsh to leave. Hurling was disappointing but they left the championship with some honour. Today was a complete farce but what is surprising for me is that anyone is surprised. Donegal 2015, Tipp 2016, Roscommon and Kerry 2017, Monaghan and Dublin last year and Roscommon 2019. After Roscommon 2017 I gave up on this management. Having grown up loving watching Galway football I'm now almost completely indifferent to it. It makes me sick looking at the clueless style of play we are pursuing.

When it really mattered we haven't laid a glove on the opposition. Mayo can be criticised as much as anyone likes but to be fair they would never exit as pathetically as we have. These pathetic fade outs year after year show up how mentally weak the team is. The first hint of pressure today and we fall asunder.

Game was desperately crying out for a change early in the 2nd half to get back control. The lack of action from the line was inexplicable but the lack of leadership on the pitch was equally infuriating. We are recycling players who haven't been good enough in the past and it was embarrassing seeing lads dishing the ball off late on rather than kick a score. The flood of subs when the match was well and truly dead just showed up the total inaction from Walsh when we could have wrestled back control of it.

Congrats to Roscommon. They were going to go through a brick wall to win today. Anthony Cunningham gives teams a hard edge and gets a team playing in his image within 7 or 8 months. We are 5 years into Walsh's tenure and I see no future for this team.

Id never want a galway team to lose but losing in the qualifiers might just prompt some action from the county board. My worry is we will stumble into the last 8 and we have to put up with another year of this garbage.

Spot on. Not once have I seen this team dig in under Walsh. They say they all believe in the system in the media but the on field language tells a different story.

I don't believe for a minute that anyone on that team likes playing like they do. They might like KW as a man but the football stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Haven't been a fan of Walsh's for past number of years but that was shocking poor today. Players on the pitch have a huge amount to answer to though with none of them showing any sort of leadership in last 20 minutes when things were going against them. There was not one that who even tried anything to stem the tide when Roscommon were getting on top. Everyone was hoping that Shane Walsh I'd do something to get them out of trouble. Have to ask the question asto why Paul Conroy wasn't deemed fit enough to be in matchday 26. He's been training fully for past 3 weeks and has played in some challenge matches along with lining out for his club in championship 3 weeks ago. Whilst not expecting him to be fully matchfit the pace of game had dropped in last 15 mins and we were crying out for likes of him in around edge of square.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Bad weekend for Galway GAA.

Gutted for the hurlers last night and not being able to attend. But at least they have pride in the Jersey and give it their all. Dublin got their goal on 67th min..up to that it was nip and tuck - level 17times.

Today was shocking. It's always raining in pearse stadium with the football on show matching the weather. Fair play to ros - they wanted it more. Getting stuck in traffic leaving the stadium is just rubbing salt into the wound.

Would love if they sold Pearse and do up both Tuam and athenry

donnem33 wrote: »
    Bad weekend for Galway GAA.

Gutted for the hurlers last night and not being able to attend. But at least they have pride in the Jersey and give it their all. Dublin got their goal on 67th min..up to that it was nip and tuck - level 17times.

Today was shocking. It's always raining in pearse stadium with the football on show matching the weather. Fair play to ros - they wanted it more. Getting stuck in traffic leaving the stadium is just rubbing salt into the wound.

Would love if they sold Pearse and do up both Tuam and athenry

No point doing up both. Athenry is the sensible option. 15,000 all seater, pitch to croke park standard and dimension. A statement of intent. Invest the additional money into proper development of underage structures and talent.

Invest a few quid in tuam to make it a good club venue or for small league games. 3 to 5000 capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They have right to tempt Connacht rugby to buy pearse stadium.move Galway football back to its original home in Tuam and shift the hurlers to Athenry or Ballinasloe.
    Offload that Centre of excellence near Craughwell while they’re at it.
    Tell the connacht lads they must be tired rolling around in dog sh1te and flog college road for housing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They have right to tempt Connacht rugby to buy pearse stadium.move Galway football back to its original home in Tuam and shift the hurlers to Athenry or Ballinasloe.
    Tell the connacht lads they must be tired rolling around in dog sh1te and flog college road for housing

Even Connacht don't want to move to Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

threeball wrote: »
    No point doing up both. Athenry is the sensible option. 15,000 all seater, pitch to croke park standard and dimension. A statement of intent. Invest the additional money into proper development of underage structures and talent.

Invest a few quid in tuam to make it a good club venue or for small league games. 3 to 5000 capacity.

15,000 is probably a bit on the small side?

What would make ideal sense in Galway (which will never happen obviously) is the GAA, rugby and soccer boys to build a 20 to 25,000 all seater near the railway line and motorways

Even Connacht don't want to move to Pearse.

Connacht rugby wouldnt do well in Pearse - not near the pubs and stuff which builds the buzz around games and supports the players

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Pearse Stadium is disastrous. It should be sold for private housing, prime location for it.

Alot of Galway would genuinely make it home from Croke Park sooner than they'd make it home from Pearse. It's mind boggling how a stadium of the capacity got planning there.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Pearse Stadium is disastrous. It should be sold for private housing, prime location for it.

Alot of Galway would genuinely make it home from Croke Park sooner than they'd make it home from Pearse. It's mind boggling how a stadium of the capacity got planning there.

0 access

• Advertisement

JJJackal wrote: »

What would make ideal sense in Galway (which will never happen obviously) is the GAA, rugby and soccer boys to build a 20 to 25,000 all seater near the railway line and motorways

There are talks of Western rail corridor been reopened which would join Claremorris-Tuam-Athenry.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    There are talks of Western rail corridor been reopened which would join Claremorris-Tuam-Athenry.

Athenry would be ideal

Not a chance it's too small. 15k in Pearse is a rarity never mind 25. You can pi$$ money away on big empty stadia or invest it in talent. I know what I'd rather do.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Walsh has to go this winter. It's so frustrating to watch. They're not coached on defending or attacking, tackling or making space for scores. Most scores came from lads just taking on their man and doing well to score. Roscommon fully deserved it and fair play to them, their supporters were absolutely delighted young and old.
    The support from Galway was a disgrace today. Yet again completely out numbered, must've been 4 to 1 at least. There was barely a cheer when o laoi got his 2 lovely points in the first half. Roscommon crowd lifted the roof for every score and sub. We seem to be embarrassingly out numbered at these home matches against Roscommon and mayo and it's got **** all to do with the hurling last night, tickets were so scarce for the hurling only a few thousand could make it. Piss poor effort from supporters for a Connacht final at home.

Not a chance it's too small. 15k in Pearse is a rarity never mind 25. You can pi$$ money away on big empty stadia or invest it in talent. I know what I'd rather do.

In fairness producing young talent in Galway in both codes never seems a problem.

It's what happens after that.

If the teams were going well and Pearse was more accessible you could get 15 plus 6 times a year?

In fairness producing young talent in Galway in both codes never seems a problem.

It's what happens after that.

Developing them has always been an issue. Too many fall away. A good system would keep an additional 20 to 30%. Either way I wouldn't build two stadiums 15 mins apart.

If the teams were going well and Pearse was more accessible you could get 15 plus 6 times a year?

Then 15 is enough. Packed and rocking or half empty. I know what players would prefer. Club games would be electric too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Well that was some farce . I have been a big defender of Walsh on here but the game is up. Wouldn’t mind Roscommon didn’t even have to play well . If I was Kieran Molloy I wouldn’t have told Walsh where to stick the jersey bringing him on in 75 min . Made changes when game was over . A lot of players need to have a look at themselves as well .personally I said on here last week I think some of these players are over rated and today certainly done nothing to change my opinion . Not sure where we go from here . But we certainly need a new manager to see if there is more in these players ...

Walsh has to go this winter. It's so frustrating to watch. They're not coached on defending or attacking, tackling or making space for scores. Most scores came from lads just taking on their man and doing well to score. Roscommon fully deserved it and fair play to them, their supporters were absolutely delighted young and old.
    The support from Galway was a disgrace today. Yet again completely out numbered, must've been 4 to 1 at least. There was barely a cheer when o laoi got his 2 lovely points in the first half. Roscommon crowd lifted the roof for every score and sub. We seem to be embarrassingly out numbered at these home matches against Roscommon and mayo and it's got **** all to do with the hurling last night, tickets were so scarce for the hurling only a few thousand could make it. Piss poor effort from supporters for a Connacht final at home.

This is a stadium issue as much as anything. Galway people hate going into Galway city. Most do it 5 days a week and can't stomach a sixth day in what they know is horrendous traffic. I go to matches in croker, Thurles, McHale etc but rarely Pearse. Its a horrible kip. Bad access and worse games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

grbear wrote: »
    Rochford?

Probably a safer option for the present. Whether he would want it is a different story.

David Morris should definitely be involved.

with a different manager do you think we would be a much better team?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

with a different manager do you think we would be a much better team?

We couldn't be much worse than 2 points in 40 minutes of football tbf.....

This is a stadium issue as much as anything. Galway people hate going into Galway city. Most do it 5 days a week and can't stomach a sixth day in what they know is horrendous traffic. I go to matches in croker, Thurles, McHale etc but rarely Pearse. Its a horrible kip. Bad access and worse games.

Sell Pearse and the Showgrounds and build a joint Rugby/GAA stadium at Galway Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Its hard to motivate yourself to go out and watch the triple Galway... add that to pearse stadium and its easy see why galway support is low

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭MattressRick

That's no excuse. Plenty of mayo people I know commute to Galway every day and those same people have been at Connacht finals outnumbering Galway. It's a poor excuse for a one off final.

RMAOK wrote: »
    We couldn't be much worse than 2 points in 40 minutes of football tbf.....

I agree with that - but lets say we won today (with a 5 point lead at half time we should have) - do you think a new manager would bring us further than Walsh? I dont think we have the back 6 (see the goal today) be in the top 5 teams come the business end of season?

Don’t get me wrong. Walsh has to go, but you also have to question the mental toughness of the players. When Roscommon put it up to them today they just didn’t fancy it at all. Did a Galway player win a 50/50 ball in the 2nd half? I doubt it. In fact they lost a few balls that were 70/30 in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

spurshero wrote: »
    Well that was some farce . I have been a big defender of Walsh on here but the game is up. Wouldn’t mind Roscommon didn’t even have to play well . If I was Kieran Molloy I wouldn’t have told Walsh where to stick the jersey bringing him on in 75 min . Made changes when game was over . A lot of players need to have a look at themselves as well .personally I said on here last week I think some of these players are over rated and today certainly done nothing to change my opinion . Not sure where we go from here . But we certainly need a new manager to see if there is more in these players ...

Fully agree.ive defended Walsh aswell but it’s time to call it off and try something fresh.
    Id feel sorry for hardworking families paying hard earned money in there today to watch a gutless tired display and then have to sit in traffic 3 hours.
    Players and management want to be taking a long hard look at themselves tonight.

• Advertisement

I agree with that - but lets say we won today (with a 5 point lead at half time we should have) - do you think a new manager would bring us further than Walsh? I dont think we have the back 6 (see the goal today) be in the top 5 teams come the business end of season?

1. Power
    2. Kerin
    3. O Ceallaigh
    4. Silke
    5. Molloy
    6. Daly
    7. McDaid

Advertisement