Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Is the rule that you cannot play a team you already played in force here? In that case Armagh couldn't play Cavan. Doesn't look like it would have an impact here.

I don't think our luck is in, we would definitely get the more difficult draw. The tie of the round is Galway v Mayo or Tyrone.

Winners of Laois Offaly can't face Meath, so a 1 in 3 chance of getting the winner of that. Armagh can't face Cavan so would be 1 in 3 of them if they beat Mayo also. All in all, slightly over 50% chance of an 'easy' draw. We could probably do with the momentum of a big win against a good team to have any confidence going away to Kerry but won't argue if we get the pox lucky draw at the same time. It's a joke that we can get to the last 12 by beating Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    We thought we wouldn’t have much issues with Roscommon either........!!

True - and traditionally the momentum team coming through the back door are often in the better position than those fresh off a provincial final loss, but I still think Galway would have way too much quality for those sides. Ros have been in 3 quarters in a row and played division 1 this year

I honestly think Galway would be better playing Mayo or Tyrone/Kildare though, as a big win would have them in much better fettle again for the Super 8s, and it could re-invigorate the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

jr86 wrote: »
    True - and traditionally the momentum team coming through the back door are often in the better position than those fresh off a provincial final loss, but I still think Galway would have way too much quality for those sides. Ros have been in 3 quarters in a row and played division 1 this year

I honestly think Galway would be better playing Mayo or Tyrone/Kildare though, as a big win would have them in much better fettle again for the Super 8s, and it could re-invigorate the season.

Agree,we need to get Mayo in the draw.....either kill us or cure us..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I saw Trevor Mullins in action at midfield for Monivea Abbey yesterday evening, he looked fairly handy. Ronan Steede was also excellent for Corofin but that ship has sailed as regards the county panel, plus James's weren't really much competition yesterday.

That Mullins guy was very good a couple of years ago when they got to semi-final. Thought he'd be given a chance with Galway then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Is the rule that you cannot play a team you already played in force here? In that case Armagh couldn't play Cavan. Doesn't look like it would have an impact here.

I don't think our luck is in, we would definitely get the more difficult draw. The tie of the round is Galway v Mayo or Tyrone.

Should not care. Nothing to do with being lucky. People thought that we were lucky to be playing Roscommon in the Connacht Final and see how that went. If you are to beat Dublin and win this thing (which is what it should be all about) you are better off playing the best teams along the way, and beating them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Don't want Mayo. Laois have hurt me before (that league game where they knocked f**k still haunts me) obviously don't want Tyrone. And Clare worry me. So ya. Not looking forward to Monday.

On the plus side looking forward to going to the U20 football then hurling then the minors next week. The seniors can wait I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭threeball

Don't want Mayo. Laois have hurt me before (that league game where they knocked f**k still haunts me) obviously don't want Tyrone. And Clare worry me. So ya. Not looking forward to Monday.

On the plus side looking forward to going to the U20 football then hurling then the minors next week. The seniors can wait I guess.

I don't think it really matters who we draw. This team could lose to any of them and a win is only delaying the inevitable. Stick a fork in this year cos it's done. The most interesting thing that will happen in Galway senior football in 2019 is finding out who the new manager will be.
    Rochford probably a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

threeball wrote: »
    I don't think it really matters who we draw. This team could lose to any of them and a win is only delaying the inevitable. Stick a fork in this year cos it's done. The most interesting thing that will happen in Galway senior football in 2019 is finding out who the new manager will be.
    Rochford probably a good bet.

While it would be nice to draw mayo Monday and hopefully give them a rattle I tend to agree with you.
    Thanks for everything Kevin Walsh but the race is ran and it’s time for change

While it would be nice to draw mayo Monday and hopefully give them a rattle I tend to agree with you.
    Thanks for everything Kevin Walsh but the race is ran and it’s time for change

If the football we were playing was enjoyable I wouldn't mind getting to the super 8s and spending a few quid going to watch them give it a rattle. I'd barely turn on the telly to watch them right now. The worst thing is, looking at the players you can tell half them wouldn't be watching either if they weren't playing. They look bored senseless.

Ah lads, mayo struggled past a low division 2 team, Clare are mid table division 2 and laois were division 3

I get that yere frustrated after Connacht final and with KW, but I think if ye avoid Tyrone yel progess

Unfortunately from a mayo POV, we're becoming riddled with injuries, still struggling up front and our full back line is all at sea. Yere a way better side than armagh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No matter how ****e we are currently I'd still fancy us to beat the remaining qualifiers with the exception of Tyrone who I reckon would put a hammering on us.

Ah lads, mayo struggled past a low division 2 team, Clare are mid table division 2 and laois were division 3

I get that yere frustrated after Connacht final and with KW, but I think if ye avoid Tyrone yel progess

Unfortunately from a mayo POV, we're becoming riddled with injuries, still struggling up front and our full back line is all at sea. Yere a way better side than armagh

Mayo are doing alright for a team riddled with injuries and lads pushing on in years.
    People in Galway are grateful for what we had but they want change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

In theory, you're right, Galway are better than Armagh. But the muck that was on display in the second half against Roscommon wouldn't be filling you with a load of confidence

If galway get Clare or laois, they'll battle through to the super 8's, but it'll only be a stay of execution imo. They're as well off to get Tyrone - if they beat them, then you'd be getting your faith back in them. Wouldn't put money on it TBH.

RMAOK wrote: »
    In theory, you're right, Galway are better than Armagh. But the muck that was on display in the second half against Roscommon wouldn't be filling you with a load of confidence

If galway get Clare or laois, they'll battle through to the super 8's, but it'll only be a stay of execution imo. They're as well off to get Tyrone - if they beat them, then you'd be getting your faith back in them. Wouldn't put money on it TBH.

It’s written in the stars.
    We’re getting mayo

Mayo are doing alright for a team riddled with injuries and lads pushing on in years.

Are we?

Lost to Roscommon, beat a division 3 side, and scraped by a side who were mediocre in division 2

I'd love to have your optimism but think we're very much on borrowed time

RMAOK wrote: »

I understand that completely

But in fairness it's one half of a game. Ye did fine in the league with a fair few injuries, and had a positive year last year. Ye bounced back well in 2017 after losing to Ros. I'd give ye the benefit for now that it was just one of those stinker days

Are we?

Lost to Roscommon, beat a division 3 side, and scraped by a side who were mediocre in division 2

As are we and at least ye're not septic to watch. I often find myself routing for the opposition such is the frustration of watching the muck the KW has this team playing.

Are we?

Well they’re not out of it yet so enjoy it while it lasts and quit your moaning

As are we and at least ye're not septic to watch. I often find myself routing for the opposition such is the frustration of watching the muck the KW has this team playing.

True to be fair mayo give it a go every game

But some very frustrating mistakes too.

But the boring stuff has worked for Galway over the last few years in the rivalry tbh.

Ah now. Jr86 is one of the most level headed Mayo posters. Never seen him get involved in the bitching toward Galway at all. Closet Galway hurling fan I think too

• Advertisement

Ah now. Jr86 is one of the most level headed Mayo posters. Never seen him get involved in the bitching toward Galway at all. Closet Galway hurling fan I think too

Aye follow the Galway hurlers alright, got involved with a club in college for the craic, living here since :pac:

Fair enough

I suppose it's just frustrating when a lot of tonight's struggles were of our own making and so much of the errors are extremely preventable - from guys who have played in multiple all Ireland finals

All a bit raw I guess

True to be fair mayo give it a go every game

But some very frustrating mistakes too.

But the boring stuff has worked for Galway over the last few years in the rivalry tbh.

Worked for one team for a bit of bragging rights. I don't want to watch this sh1t even when we do win. Watching that Kerry game from the Davin last year was one of the most depressing things I've ever done. The result couldn't hide the truth and beating Kerry should be joyous.

Aye follow the Galway hurlers alright, got involved with a club in college for the craic, living here since :pac:

See you can even get away with saying that in public in Mayo and no one gives a crap. As long as you don't have a bit of a soft spot for the footballers too :D

Mayo I was telling him to enjoy

as long as you don't have a bit of a soft spot for the footballers too :D

Not a feckin hope!!!

Although I'd gladly watch the 00/01 side any day :o

Not a feckin hope!!!

Although I'd gladly watch the 00/01 side any day :o

If we get Rochford in and we win it with him you can take a small satisfaction that a mayo man managed us to another one :P

I actually think Galway will get him

But hey Mayo's loss would be galways - and is Donegal's- gain! Be hard to take

I actually think Galway will get him

But hey Mayo's loss would be galways - and is Donegal's- gain! Be hard to take

The Corofin connections would be a big plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Our best hope of Walsh and Co going would be if they lost to Ros and Mayo back to back too. It's a win-win in the worst possible scenario.

Advertisement