Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

threeball wrote: »
    Tuam Herald never has a bad word to say about anyone. I've never seen one controversial thing in that paper in my lifetime.

Daithi should avoid the footballers like the plague. The players need to decide this week if they're really happy with management and the set up in general. If not they need to lay it out in no uncertain terms. If they're not heard or lads are dropped for complaining they should walk. Daithi walking into what is almost certainly a toxic environment would be nuts.

Hurl with Turlough and football with Corofin and the year will be well long enough.

Funny you should say that as I recently came across a Tuam Herald from the 1990's. There was a piece from Jim Carney completely laying into Bosco McDermott. He did not hold back. I dont remember the exact wording but was surprised at how strong the language was. You certainly don't see journalism like that in the Tuam Herald these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Hasn't been well handled. Naming a goalie to start and then not playing him is well plain stupid in my opinion unless it's a late injury. Which it wasn't. Lavelle wasn't particularly happy when he was dropped for the Sligo game either. I don't think either goalie really knows where they stand.

Exactly - changing the goalie just increases the pressure on the goalie. All the talk before the match was that Lavelle was in for Power, and wondering why! While Cooke came in for Cummins, I didn't really hear anybody question that decision before the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Exactly - changing the goalie just increases the pressure on the goalie. All the talk before the match was that Lavelle was in for Power, and wondering why! While Cooke came in for Cummins, I didn't really hear anybody question that decision before the match.

Ya outfield positions are part and parcel of the game now. Goalie switches are much of a rarity and definitely brings an extra bit of pressure that wasn't necessary. Roscommon hardly had a game plan built around which fecking goalie we used. I've stated before I'm a Lavelle fan. But I think there is little between them. But to go from Lavelle for the league (apart for a game against Dublin which confused the f*&k out of me as well. Manus was in goals) and Lavelle for the first championship match against London. Then Power for Sligo. Then name Power to start against Roscommon. Then play Lavelle. Doesn't exactly exude confidence does it!

If he named Power, Power should of started unless it was an injury. He did the entire warm up and even started warming up when Lavelle damaged his eye so he was definitely ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Just pick one and stick with it. From what I hear, Power knew Thursday he was replaced but even still it shows that KW is still not settled on his best keeper. I don't think there is a comparison between them but KW is entitled to pick who he wants - just do it though.

I know there would have been issues with commitment from Power in the past but Rochford and Kevin O'Brien were always able to work with him in Corofin. Its telling that Brian Silke didn't really pick him when he was manager of Corofin.

In fairness to Power he's put in the hard yards. He wasn't playing for his club senior team a few years ago but got called for the county junior team and worked up from there eventually replacing Tom Healy in the Corofin goal and breaking onto the county senior team. You couldn't doubt his commitment now and he's seriously improved the last couple of years, I'd have him before Lavelle any day. He just seems so much more assured and doesn't panic, I think this is where Lavelle lets himself down, he gets flustered when the pressure comes on and rushes his kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Funny you should say that as I recently came across a Tuam Herald from the 1990's. There was a piece from Jim Carney completely laying into Bosco McDermott. He did not hold back. I dont remember the exact wording but was surprised at how strong the language was. You certainly don't see journalism like that in the Tuam Herald these days.

As was said of Geoffrey Howe once upon a time, it was like being savaged by a dead sheep. Think I remember that column; things must have been really bad back then. Leitrim beat us twice in a row IIRC.

• Advertisement

In the week that's in it, sad news for Galway football, with the passing of Tom 'Pook' Dillon, stalwart defender of the 1956 team. One of the best and toughest backs of the time. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

RIP

Chopping and changing goalies never works in any sport.
    No matter the goalie however, the lack of a kick out strategy is killing them. It seems that they are trying to find someone to kick it out to but no one wants, no wants to make a move to find space for the ball and the ball ends up been kicked out long and makes it a 50-50 ball or out over the sideline. Other teams have decoy runs etc. and we have a policy that hasn't changed since forever! It puts even more pressure on our goalie and god knows our team does not respond well under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭cosatron

Daithi needs a break anyway. He looked below his best for the hurlers this year. He's been on a crazy schedule in recent years with repeated long runs for Corofin and Galway.

personally I think daithi needs to pack in the football and concentrate on hurling. His first touch and striking was very poor this year due to lack of hurling. considering how competitive hurling is now you need to be hurling in the league and you need to hit the ground running in the first game with your best team or you will be left behind like we found out this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Any word on whether the big crisis talks happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP Tom 'Pook' Dillon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone hear the WhatsApp going round from a lad who happened across some Galway footballers the morning after the defeat a bit worse for wear? Is it genuine?

threeball wrote:
    Anyone hear the WhatsApp going round from a lad who happened across some Galway footballers the morning after the defeat a bit worse for wear? Is it genuine?

Didn't hear. They were drinking with the hurlers all day Monday in Woodquay. Rumours of some bust ups too but seems to have died down again. Damo wearing 14 but not starting for Annaghdown. Did full warm up. No Duggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭MattressRick

The only justification for a message like that is something scandalous happening or if one of them was breaking the law, but a lad on the Buckie telling him to **** off is not worth crying over. Poor lad must've needed to take the rest of the day off to lie down.

The only justification for a message like that is something scandalous happening or if one of them was breaking the law, but a lad on the Buckie telling him to **** off is not worth crying over. Poor lad must've needed to take the rest of the day off to lie down.

Couldn't give a toss about yer man whinging but it's hardly the thing to do after putting on a gutless sh1t show the day before. Going on the lash and walking around town like a wino with a bottle of buckfast roaring at people passing doesn't really bode well. If that's the reaction of the team then maybe a clear out is needed.

Didn't hear. They were drinking with the hurlers all day Monday in Woodquay. Rumours of some bust ups too but seems to have died down again. Damo wearing 14 but not starting for Annaghdown. Did full warm up. No Duggan.

Hurlers can do as they like, they're out. If these lads had any sense of self they'd put the head down and try to work to steady the ship and prove people wrong. Same lads mentioned were brutal the day before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Your man came across as a pure idiot . Seemed to thinks he’s awful important . Let the lads blow off a bit of steam ffs once there’s no harm done . There amateurs at the small of the day yet some people seem to think if there seen with a pint glass they have committed a crime . Like I said once they don’t cause any hassle they need an odd night out . At least that’s my opinion maybe I’m wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Couldn't give a toss about yer man whinging but it's hardly the thing to do after putting on a gutless sh1t show the day before. Going on the lash and walking around town like a wino with a bottle of buckfast roaring at people passing doesn't really bode well. If that's the reaction of the team then maybe a clear out is needed.

True, fair point. But my understanding of the guys stupid message was it was very early in the morning with hardly anyone around and he said he took a good look to see who was there, I'd imagine the slowing down and rubbernecking was the catalyst for telling him to F off.

Comer on. Tuam leading 1-6 to 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The Minor Footballers have hammered Leitrim in Tuam this evening 5-25 to 1-4. And Sligo bet the Rossies.
    This means Galway are straight into the Connacht Final

True, fair point. But my understanding of the guys stupid message was it was very early in the morning with hardly anyone around and he said he took a good look to see who was there, I'd imagine the slowing down and rubbernecking was the catalyst for telling him to F off.

Completely agree about yer man. Fair weather "supporter" at best. Still think it's a very poor reflection of the lads involved if that's the reaction to getting schooled a few hours before. A few pints yes. Hitting the buckie and hanging round town off your face at 7 or 8 in the morning shows the mindset that explains alot.

• Advertisement

Comer on. Tuam leading 1-6 to 4 points.

How did that go in the end?

threeball wrote:
    How did that go in the end?

Tuam won 1-9 to 7points. Very poor niggling game. Comer moved around fine. Other than fitness he moved fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Completely agree about yer man. Fair weather "supporter" at best. Still think it's a very poor reflection of the lads involved if that's the reaction to getting schooled a few hours before. A few pints yes. Hitting the buckie and hanging round town off your face at 7 or 8 in the morning shows the mindset that explains alot.

Sounded like he was eyeballing them all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Tuam won 1-9 to 7points. Very poor niggling game. Comer moved around fine. Other than fitness he moved fine.

Annaghdowns season over before it starts looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Any of ye hear of a player without mentioning names who was at a wedding before the Connacht final and not being started as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Annaghdowns season over before it starts looks like

Are they out now

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

spurshero wrote: »
    Are they out now

Will need to beat corofin to stay involved.

Any of ye hear of a player without mentioning names who was at a wedding before the Connacht final and not being started as a result

Does he stand between two sticks?

spurshero wrote: »
    Your man came across as a pure idiot . Seemed to thinks he’s awful important . Let the lads blow off a bit of steam ffs once there’s no harm done . There amateurs at the small of the day yet some people seem to think if there seen with a pint glass they have committed a crime . Like I said once they don’t cause any hassle they need an odd night out . At least that’s my opinion maybe I’m wrong

Not even sure if it's real, sounded like a Keith Finnegan parody to me. Snowflake. He'd need to go to more Galway games to give him credence.

Never too worried about players fighting among themselves - KK practically lived on it under Cody during their successful reign - as long as they fight for each other on the pitch. Some good may yet come of it as long as they start thinking for themselves a bit and throw off the KW-imposed shackles.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a rehash of an older story where a couple of players attended a wedding in spite of the manager's wishes.

Advertisement