Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First record U bought!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I dont remember the FIRST ONE i got but i can tell you THE LAST ONE i just got the other day icon7.gif

Christopher cross -- (The one with the song SAILING on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Dude111 wrote: »
    I dont remember the FIRST ONE i got but i can tell you THE LAST ONE i just got the other day icon7.gif

Christopher cross -- (The one with the song SAILING on it)

Does that mean you won't buy any more records?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Zorba the Greek :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

ootbitb wrote:
    Does that mean you won't buy any more records?
    Oh no bud,i love records!!!!! (Nothing sounds better than analogue!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Drac the Bassman

Embarrassed to say, it was........

Charlie Drake - My Boomerang Won't Come Back

"In the bad bad lands of Australia, many years ago........"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Don't be embarrassed Drac - I used to sing a long with Charlie! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Drac the Bassman

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Don't be embarrassed Drac - I used to sing a long with Charlie! :D
    Glad I'm not the only one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

First single (secondhand) Brown-eyed Handsome Man (Buddy Holly)

First single (new) Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac) If you're reading this, Johnny: I want it back!

First Album Fill your Head With Rock

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wenders44

David Cassidy-How can I be sure? Oh yes!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1rpKz_52GE

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Oh no :(

• Advertisement

Oh NO! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Embarrassed to say, it was........

Charlie Drake - My Boomerang Won't Come Back

"In the bad bad lands of Australia, many years ago........"

Let's have some accuracy here. The overture to the opus to which you refer was not "In the bad bad lands of Australia". I am surprised, disappointed and somewhat distressed that you have omitted the profoundly thought-provoking lyric "oom-yacka-wurka, oom-yacka-wurka,..." with which the composer actually introduces us to the scenario. The "boomerang" tour de force was produced by a certain George Martin, who later did some work with a fairly well-known beat combo from Liverpool.

Now, I'm older than most rocks but, if this was the first record you bought, you must predate me by an epoch. This might explain your lapse of precision here but let's not allow our standards to slip.

On the plus-side, your user name brings to mind another classic from that era - "Mr. Bassman" by Johnny Cymbal - whose intro was also embellished with gems such as "bum bum buh bumbuh bum bum, bum buh bum bum....". I didn't buy this either but it now graces my vast mp3 collection, together with Mr. Drake's masterpiece and the genuine, original and best "Wimoweh" by Karl Denver. Now, if the tooth-fairy had been a bit more generous, I definitely would have bought that.

I take your point Brens.:confused: As we have already discovered; you know stuff. Now, pray tell, give us your thoughts on:

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I take your point Brens.:confused: As we have already discovered; you know stuff. Now, pray tell, give us your thoughts on:

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy

Well, my Grandad had a version: "Jersey goats in cozy coats ...." but my Grannie used to shout at him to stop before he got any further. Therefore, my childhood was deprived, ruined by unresolved issues and without recourse to ChildLine. This caused my first "bought" record to be as reported in post 100.

"Mairzy Doats" failed to make my music collection, mainly because Max Bygraves, unlike Karl Denver, could never be described as being cool, hip or trendy. However, I suspect that, since you know at least one alternative lyric, YOU could be a Mairzy Doats oracle, cunningly scattering foliage over a mantrap and luring me towards it with your feminine guile.

So, what really happened to those Jersey goats? Is it on WikiLeaks?

Well neither Bygraves or Denver could get into our house while Burl Ives was here singing that song. Oh how mother and I would often burst into song. Dilly Dilly was yet another favourite of ours. This is wayyyyy off the subject of 'first record u bought' I'm not going to revisit mine, I've already blushed myself silly over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

Regatta Blanc, The Police, was so proud of it brought it to a party and it was stolen ... and it was a rotten party!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

while Burl Ives was here singing that song. Oh how mother and I would often burst into song. This is wayyyyy off the subject of 'first record u bought'

While we are off it, I will say you have just triggered a memory which brought a laugh. I bought the first record player in the house but for some reason there was already a Burl Ives record there. My uncle was going on about how good it should be but I had my doubts . So I put it on and not being used to the process, had it on the wrong speed, so the singer sounded like a child! I had a pain in my sides laughing at the expression on my uncles face. Having never heard it before that wasn't quite what he was expecting, while we rubbished his taste in music :D

Burl Ives singing like a demented chipmonk! Must have been hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

First single- Thriller (Radio Edit) Michael Jackson
    First album- Cloud Nine George Harrison

Leave me be with my 80s music, I have no regrets ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's now or never by Elvis Presley with mama liked the roses on side b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

First Single: Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers.

First Album: Black Sabbath's Greatest Hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

One of the first LP's I bought was "Home Thoughts From Abroad" by Clifford T Ward (early 70's)...still have it in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The Police De doo doo doo de da da da. 7" single and I still have it here

Advertisement