Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First record U bought!

Options
  • 15-04-2011 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

It seems that going into a record shop to buy music is set to become a thing of the past.

For me, as a kid music was a huge part of my life.

Top of the Pops was a real highlight of the week for me & countless others too.

Anyhoo......When I was 13, I went into Rainbow Records in Carlow & bought Joan of Arc by OMD.

I think 45's were about £1.30ish then....(1981 prices!)

What was your first?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Many many years ago

First Single was "The Funky Gibbon" by The Goodies, for the princely sum of 10p
    First Album was "Relics" by Pink Floyd, I think it was 4.00pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

The Tourists - I only wanna be with you! in Dolphin Discs in Talbot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

merlie wrote: »
    The Tourists - I only wanna be with you! in Dolphin Discs in Talbot Street.

That where I bought my first Album *snap*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Springsteen's Born to Run just after Christmas '75.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas do not use U as shorthand. We say "ye" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

First Single; What You're Proposing - Status Quo

First LP: Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam and the Ants.

Both were in 1980 and played to death on my ma's radiogram: those long wooden things on four legs with a lid that you ilfted up to reveal a radio, turntable and handy record storage space.

Think I bought them both in Golden Discs in the Crumlin Shopping Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

mike65 wrote: »
    Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas do not use U as shorthand. We say "ye" :)

Sorry Mike.

I was well into the second bottle at the time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Melting Pot by Blue Mink

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Super trooper by Abba. For shame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

We used to "download" music from the radio,i.e. the top twenty on BBC Radio 2 at six o'clock on a Sunday recorded onto a Sanyo cassette tape recorder.

Until we got a new record player in 1975.I think the first record was "Go your own way" by Fleetwood Mac.

Oh yes just to namecheck Graham's music store in Mullingar (long gone).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Everyone I know used to tape stuff off the radio.* And you had to time it just right to stop it before the dj opened his gob and ruined it. So we didnt buy too many singles, which is my excuse for buying such a cr@p first one. :) Woolworths was the place to get them, all racked up in top 20 order.

*Course then a few of us got into weird stuff and started recording white noise to see if we would hear spooky voices in it. Its no accident that I mod paranormal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak in 77. Have it still, in the attic since I bought the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Oryx wrote: »
    *Course then a few of us got into weird stuff and started recording white noise to see if we would hear spooky voices in it. Its no accident that I mod paranormal :)

Friend of ours (Hi Bob) once listened to an hour of static on the radio swearing that it was Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

*Course then a few of us got into weird stuff and started recording white noise to see if we would hear spooky voices in it. Its no accident that I mod paranormal :)[/QUOTE]

Slightly off thread but we used to play Albratross by Fleetwood Mac at 33 instead of 45 that was weird but it never turned me into a mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First 45 rpm record was Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody.

I'd like to take this opportunity to appolgise, if I and about 1,000,000 others hadn't bought that song in 1973 we'd not all be so tired of it now! :p

Interesting to see the radiogram get a mention, we had a new fangled £70 Amstrad Hi Fi seperates system bought from Debenhams in 1972, the speakers are still in use sitting a few feet from me as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

First single I bought was Sugar Sugar by the Archies.

When I was in my first job about 6 months I got a loan to buy my first proper stereo system. The first album (which I bought the same day as the stereo) I played on this system was Hotel California. I've never forgotten the magical aural experience of listening to that album in glorious quality stereo for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

It is with shame and teeth-clenching embarrassment I admit to my first record purchase being Mull of Kintyre back in 1977-ish for the huge amount of about 65p. FIrst album was Horslips' Man Who Built America, which is marginally more respectable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

First single - Japenese Boy by Anneka 1981

Oh the shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Bearhunter wrote: »
    It is with shame and teeth-clenching embarrassment I admit to my first record purchase being Mull of Kintyre back in 1977-ish for the huge amount of about 65p. FIrst album was Horslips' Man Who Built America, which is marginally more respectable!

Ah, c'mon? I was Macca afterall. What's to be ashamed of?

The man wrote Yesterday & was a Beatle!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 pslat

Hmm, A lot of '77 first buyers on this thread..
    Batouttahelll for me in 77. The only one I had for a few years. If I hear that effin song one more time...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

anewme wrote: »
    First single - Japenese Boy by Anneka 1981

Oh the shame!

Heh, that makes me feel better.

And @ stained class: "Ah, c'mon? I was Macca afterall. What's to be ashamed of?"

He might have written Yesterday, but he also wrote The Frog Chorus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

stovelid wrote: »
    Think I bought them both in Golden Discs in the Crumlin Shopping Centre.

I remember that shop well,bought a load of albums there when I was a nipper. That's one eerie shopping centre now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Onkle wrote: »
    I remember that shop well,bought a load of albums there when I was a nipper. That's one eerie shopping centre now

Spot on!

Along with Northside, it seems to be one of the only old-school shopping centres still standing. I was passing by recently and went in for a look and was really sad to see that it's a shadow of its former self. When I was a kid (and even much later), it always seemed so busy but now there just seems to be a handful of shops hanging on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

stovelid wrote: »
    Spot on!

Along with Northside, it seems to be one of the only old-school shopping centres still standing. I was passing by recently and went in for a look and was really sad to see that it's a shadow of its former self. When I was a kid (and even much later), it always seemed so busy but now there just seems to be a handful of shops hanging on.

As coincidence would have it I was driving by there today and needed to use the toilet (is that a sign I'm getting old? Can't drive 4 miles without needing to pee?) so I stopped in, I remember going there as a kid with my Granny and it was always packed. Now it's filthy and run down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Good God - I can't believe I'm going to put this in writing but here goes........
    It was 1982 and my first records were (my mum bought me 3 together!)..

Bucks Fizz - Are you Ready (album)
    Nicole - A Little Peace (single)
    (Anybody notice a Eurovision theme going on here??? :p)
    Duran Duran - Wild Boys (single)

I went home and spent weeks making up dance routines with my friends!
    Ah, those were the days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The shame of this -

Brendan Graces version of "I've got a brand new combine harvester" was my very first "single" to call my own. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

First single, Kate Bush - Withering Heights, also in in Dolphin Discs in Talbot Street
    First Album, Jackson Brown - The Pretender also in the same place.

I was into tapes and had one of the first True Dolby tape decks in Ireland cause I worked in the place that imported them. Even remember staying up late at night cause there was only one Stereo radio broadcast once a week and I spent a fortune buying an Amstrad Stereo system. I lived to see that Stereo red light light up on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I was given a one pound record voucher by the sister's bf. I skipped up to the Finglas record shop in the village and bought (hanging my head in shame)The J Giles Band- My Angel Is The Centrefold. My poor parents, their 10 year old daughter singing along to the delights of pin up girls!! Only dawned on me many years later what it was actually about! First album was ZZ Top, Eliminator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Fine young cannibals! And then Duran Duran... GAS

Advertisement