Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First record U bought!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

mike65 wrote: »
    First 45 rpm record was Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody.

I'd like to take this opportunity to appolgise, if I and about 1,000,000 others hadn't bought that song in 1973 we'd not all be so tired of it now! :p

Interesting to see the radiogram get a mention, we had a new fangled £70 Amstrad Hi Fi seperates system bought from Debenhams in 1972, the speakers are still in use sitting a few feet from me as I type.

mike, change the speakers they are doing your music no favours:)

my first purchase was a tape of judas priest's british steel in woolworths in Bray.
    played it in my first tape player, the walthams portable recorder, the one with the red record button.
    the parents bought me this along with Abba super trouper and elvis us mail, somewhat missing the mark they were:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My first record was....The Unicorn by the Bachelors :D

I can clearly remember getting 7 shillings out of my money box to give to my ma to buy it..according to Wikipedia this was released in 1968 so I would have been 7 or 8 years old.
    There was always a record player at home,my mother had loads of records.

On a side note I was kind of shocked a couple of years ago when my 10/11 year old nephew asked me 'what's that ?' as I was putting on an LP to play(my sister and her husband probably don't have any at home)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike, change the speakers they are doing your music no favours:)

The room acoustics are much bigger issue than 40 year old speakers! I like their warm tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

mike if you were any closer to me i would drive over and lend you some decent speakers just to convince you!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Oh dear,my first 45,was "The show must go on" by Leo Sayer,can't remember the LP that I bought,but the first one that was bought for me a present was "Regatta De Blanc" by The Police...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Abba Arrival album...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

First single That's All - Genesis
    First Album Ed Stewpots Pop Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Oh dear,my first 45,was "The show must go on" by Leo Sayer,can't remember the LP that I bought,but the first one that was bought for me a present was "Regatta De Blanc" by The Police...

My first one was "Lily the Pink" by the Scaffold and the second was "Something" by the Beatles.

Jeez how old am I???

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

10 year old RichT strolled into Brixton market to buy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Had to google the above! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

No laughing at me here if you please, but the first album I got (bought for me by my mum, bless her) was Tchaikovsky "Piano Concerto Number One in B Flat Minor" by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. I still have it, but not played it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

Rubecula wrote: »
    No laughing at me here if you please, but the first album I got (bought for me by my mum, bless her) was Tchaikovsky "Piano Concerto Number One in B Flat Minor" by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. I still have it, but not played it in years.

Ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭the anser

First record I wanted was 'A Thing Called Love' by Johnny Cash.......could'nt find the single anywhere so had to buy a K Tel compilation which had it. Bought in Superquins record shop in Walkinstown, Dublin- 1973 I think.....and played to death on a Bush Radiogram. I remember you could disengage the playing arm which meant the record kept on playing! Happy days............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

GNR-You Could Be Mine on 7", w/ Civil War on B side

guns_n_roses_you_could_be_mine.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

peatcass wrote: »
    GNR-You Could Be Mine on 7", w/ Civil War on B side
    Released in Apr 2006. That would make you about 12 years old. :eek:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Released in Apr 2006. That would make you about 12 years old. :eek:
    I was about 12 when I bought it, but it was way back in 1990 or 91..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My first record was Thin Lizzy's Black Rose with the Jim Fitzpatrick painting of a rose on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

peatcass wrote: »
    I was about 12 when I bought it, but it was way back in 1990 or 91..
    You are right and I'm an idiot. I just looked at a date on Google and made an erronous assumption. Mia Culpa.

Yer still a youngster though. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

I was dragged to Galway to see the Pope in 1979 :rolleyes: and as a consolation, my mother gave me some spending money when we went into the city centre later that evening. I bought a single which was made in a deep green colour and it was "Message in a Bottle" by The Police. I loved that record :cool:

ADDON wrote: »
    I was dragged to Galway to see the Pope in 1979 :rolleyes: and as a consolation, my mother gave me some spending money when we went into the city centre later that evening. I bought a single which was made in a deep green colour and it was "Message in a Bottle" by The Police. I loved that record :cool:
    Shame to say Zivagos closed down!!
    Effing torrents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Banjara

The first single I bought was 'The Laughing Gnome' by Bowie. Thankfully I got into his more 'grown-up' music a few years down the line!!

Can't remember the first album I bought but I do remember being given one of those awful compilation albums from the 70s, where the hits have been re-recorded i.e most definitely not the original artists. Were they called K-TEL albums??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Banjara wrote: »
    definitely not the original artists. Were they called K-TEL albums??

IIRC I think they were Pickwick (?)

K-TEL were original but were often shortened and low fi recording so they could fit.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

IIRC I think they were Pickwick (?)

K-TEL were original but were often shortened and low fi recording so they could fit.

This certainly brought back a memory. Did these Pickwick records usually have a picture of a bikini clad girl on the front ? It's funny the things you remember.

Just found this info on wiki:

Top of the Pops is the name of a series of records issued by Pickwick Records, which contain anonymous cover versions of recent and current hit singles. The recordings were intended to replicate the sound of the original hits as closely as possible.

The cover designs are iconic, featuring female models in period attire, some with the models in skimpy clothing such as miniskirts and bikinis.

Have just tried to paste an example but without any luck!!

Here it is!!

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

:D:o:D

I remember my older brother bought a Top of the Pops LP with a bikini clad model and our Mam would not allow it, confiscated offending sleeve but allowed us play the music.... Well holy God!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Top of The Pops albums can be worth a listen - I pick them up if I see them cheap - have about 40. There's crazy versions of Autobahn, Death Disco and Pretty Vacant amongst others. Once you approach them with an open mind and don't believe that "original version = best".

By 1982 soundalike albums were on the wane. Sales were falling as compilations such as Chart Hits 81 cleaned up on the Christmas market by a) featuring original artists and b) having a buy one, get part 2 free type of deal.

At this stage Top Of The Pops had been running since 1969 and had seen off a number of rivals like Hot Hits, 12 Tops and Pye Chartbusters. Volume 91 was the last regular release in the series. There would be a long gap before a revival album called The Best Of Top Of The Pops 1984 emerged just before Christmas of that year with Volume 92 coming out in March 1985. Given that the number of units shifted was low, demand remains steady for these late period LPs.

Model for The Best of Top of The Pops 1984 = Samantha Fox

Model for Top of The Pops Volume 92 = Maria Whittaker

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

First Album - Live and Dangerous, still one of my favourites, bought in Freebird Records up the stairs on Grafton Street in late '78.

First Single - Follow You, Follow Me by Genesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just popped in and thought you should know.......my first record (may God forgive me!) was a Joe Dolan, probably 'The Answer To Everything', can't remember which one. Still in the attic so could check it up at some stage. Used to love the showbands when I was kid. Unfortunately in my innocence/ignorance thought all the songs were original - but they all lied to me! As I entered my teens it was Elvis, Cliff, and the Beatles in that order. I still love all the Beatles' early stuff even though Lennon said it was 'rubbish'. Lyrics may not have been fantastic on some of them but the melodies were brill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Banjara wrote: »
    Here it is!!

Why the hell did my parents not buy LPs like this.

Advertisement