Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First record U bought!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Cicero wrote: »
    The Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever...can I join your uncool club?:p

BTW...for around 100 quid or less you can get standalone record players that can be hooked up to PCs and get all your albums onto MP3 format....even just to play some of those old records it's worth getting one....

The quality of those cheap USB players is questionable.

For 200 - 250 you could get a decent standalone turntable that you could connect to an amplifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

ok, here goes, Frank Ifield "I Remember You".:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

stanley1 wrote: »
    ok, here goes, Frank Ifield "I Remember You".:eek:
    "You're the one who made my dreams comes true, a few kisses ago"!! I loved that song. They don't write 'em like that any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    "You're the one who made my dreams comes true, a few kisses ago"!! I loved that song. They don't write 'em like that any more.
    Thankfully.

/Ducks, runs

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

She taught me how to yodel ......... and the following day as I walked down the village I thought everyone would know - just by looking at me! :D

• Advertisement

Spread wrote: »
    She taught me how to yodel ......... and the following day as I walked down the village I thought everyone would know - just by looking at me! :D

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

BTW...for around 100 quid or less you can get standalone record players that can be hooked up to PCs and get all your albums onto MP3 format....even just to play some of those old records it's worth getting one....

My records were well used...they've all got marks of use: beer stains, scratches (most not enough to make the record jump except for Bryan Ferry's These Foolish Things which I *loved* and so used to lift the needle to replay the track, for which you need steady hands...until one day, scccrrrrrratcccccchhhh!) so I don't know how well they'd sound. (Turns out I do have a turntable, and speakers, but the middle bit is missing. The amplifier. Oh well. I only have to hold up the LP and the entire thing plays in my head.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

My records were well used...they've all got marks of use: beer stains, scratches (most not enough to make the record jump except for Bryan Ferry's These Foolish Things which I *loved* and so used to lift the needle to replay the track, for which you need steady hands...until one day, scccrrrrrratcccccchhhh!) so I don't know how well they'd sound. (Turns out I do have a turntable, and speakers, but the middle bit is missing. The amplifier. Oh well. I only have to hold up the LP and the entire thing plays in my head.)

Can I ask...how do records become unplayable...it's something I never understood..I was so precious with mine...but still bought them to friends houses, lent them out (rarely) and they're still like new....it was "drilled" into me at an early age to look after records (Dads) ...so maybe I got it from there..bought some great jazz records recently ...all brand new...classics from the 60/50s ...Coltrane etc...great way to listen to some great music

Can I ask...how do records become unplayable...it's something I never understood..I was so precious with mine...but still bought them to friends houses, lent them out (rarely) and they're still like new....it was "drilled" into me at an early age to look after records (Dads) ...so maybe I got it from there..bought some great jazz records recently ...all brand new...classics from the 60/50s ...Coltrane etc...great way to listen to some great music

Same here. Was drilled into me by my mother back in 1981 how to take care of records. Rarely lent them out - preferred to copy the LP for a friend rather than give it to them to wreck.

Nowadays I might lend / swap some records with like-minded mates but it's rare enough.

"No - vinyl is not dead" has been my mantra for the last 20 years. The penny still hasn't dropped for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I bought Standing on the shoulder of giants by Oasis after I got some money for baby sitting. :D Still have it with my CDs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

I think it was Everything Must Go by Manic Street Preachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Boy so many replies I cant give thanx to them all :D

I cant remember what my first was BUT I LOVE EVERY RECORD I HAVE!! (Much better sounding than this digital trash)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

oasis definitely maybe (1994)

I think we should add a rule that if you bought it on a CD then you don't get a say in this thread. :cool:

OldGoat wrote: »
    I think we should add a rule that if you bought it on a CD then you don't get a say in this thread. :cool:

or cassette.

Or on wax that plays at 33 1/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

OldGoat wrote: »

Extra kudos if you bought it on a wax cylinder or 78 :D

Sales of new vinyl continue to increase.

US total new LP sales 1993 - 300,000

US total new LP sales 2011 - 3,900,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

The first single I bought was Kate Bush 'Wuthering Heights'. We lived in the Shetland Islands at the time and they had to order it from the mainland. Can still remember the excitement of waiting for it to arrive!! I then proceded to drive my mam mad as I played it over and over until I'd all the words written down. Then I proceded to repeat the process with the 'B' side which I think was called 'Kite', loved that as well. Oh the memories :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Probably

album-Hall--Oates-Private-Eyes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band .........Urban Spaceman.

Always liked things a bit quirky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I remember buying that too - I was living in London at the time, sharing a flat and the others used to go off to the pub to play pool. It was their treat afterwards to come back and listen to 'Intro outro' where one of the characters mentioned there - I think it was Val Doonican - says 'hallo there'. It had them in fits of laughter as apparently there was someone who regularly came into the pub when they were playing, who said exactly that and in exactly the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

It was either Billy Swan, I Can Help.
    Or Showaddywaddy, Hey Rock and Roll
    I had them both,Guess which one I'm embarrassed about.

It was either Billy Swan, I Can Help.
    Or Showaddywaddy, Hey Rock and Roll
    I had them both,Guess which one I'm embarrassed about.

Embarrassed? No need to be embarrassed. I luvvvved 'em both, but especially Showaddywaddy!!! Yayyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

1979, I don't like Mondays by the Boomtown Rats, my very first vinyl purchase

Still a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

bon jovi - new jersey
    in dolphin discs on talbot st. ......seems to have been very popular judging by some of these threads how did it ever close down:D

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

BAGGY TROUSERS - MADNESS :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I went halves with my sister on Queen's "A Day at the Races" in '77 but the first one I bought myself was the Boomtown Rats first album in '78. Still have both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think the first record I bought was away back in '71 - Nilsson, without you. No. 1 at the time if memory serves me right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Single - The Undertones "You've Got My Number" - from around 1978(?)
    Album - Outlandos D'Amour - The Police

Advertisement