Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Made it down the stairs tonight without wincing. Progress definitely made. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    I nominate Ray to be the coach of the 'Improvers' thread.

I hear he has been on some courses and everything and has even got some coaching badges to prove it :D

:pac:

I don't mind being the coach of the 'Improvers' thread as long as you lot don't mind being treated like the under-12's I usually coach :D

(but the improvers all follow their own training plans, makes it very messy)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

sassyj wrote: »
    I do intend doing this, but find it a bit scary despite being a grown woman! Clonliffe Harriers is the club nearest me, but they look very professional, anyone on here in that club?

Sassyj they would also be my local club so SNAP. They have a web-site with lots of info. I mailed them a few weeks back when I started thinking about life post Marathon (I know that was b4 the 'Thon just visualizing success!), got a lovely prompt reply, very welcoming, saying "we`d be delighted if you`d join us" also said "we have a thriving masters section" but that probably only applies to me. I'm defo going to go along. Looking at result we clocked the almost same 04:5X, if your local we may run some same training routes? My youngun also trained with them for a while a few years back and had a good experience, friendly but want you to give it a lash as well -well able to dole out HTFU. Fees about €150 p.a.

Let me know if your going along, perhaps we can arrange two new marathoners to join the Harriers same day. Safety in numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

For some reason my Garmin link earlier didn't work - trying this one instead

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Have a laugh at the state of me crossing the finish and then collapsing over the line.

Just follow me coming down the left side of the video and then being put into a wheelchair. :D:D:D

I don't remember anything after I crossed the line.

My legs are still in a lot of pain and I can't walk properly.

• Advertisement

dazza21ie wrote: »
    This http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440724 is where last years novices went after the marathon ended. It was setup by our very own Younganne. I'm sure there might be enough of us interested to do something similar ourselves. We could get PM to do us another excel sheet to track progress, PB's etc (perfect practice for his mentoring next year!). Haven't figured how we kidnap Ecoli from last year's novices though??

+1, I love this idea, not brave enough for my own log yet by a long shot, running by myself was hard enough, I think I like my running social media better populated and yiz are all perfect company;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Cabbage11 wrote: »
    Great Quote Dilbert75

Target: 4.15
    Actual time: 4.21
    Started off the race far too fast, all the good advice from on here fell on Def ears im afraid, got to 20 mile mark on pace for about 4.10 but was struggling badly at this stage, then at 22mile mark area around both knees started to cramp up very badly, I waddled over to the side pavement like an overweight asthmatic duck and started cursing at my knees to just give me 4 more god dam miles for at least a minute or two and then started pleading with them to stop, which seemed to work, enough to allow me to walk (don’t think you will find that technique in many medical textbooks)

I plodded along at a snails pace, much slower than normal walking, to I got to near 24-25 mile mark, when the 4.15 pacers group came past and one of them shouted at me “start running”, so I did!! and for the last mile i felt like I was doing Usain Bolt speed through the crowds with the pacers until who I now assume must have been MarthaStewart (long black hair and without being inappropriate a very good looking woman) was running backwards shouting at me to keep going, so i doubt it was as fast as it seemed, the crowd was electric , but at this stage i didn’t know what street or city we were in I was that tired and I asked MarthaStew where the hell was this bloody finish line at, to which she pointed see that green thing in front of you with finish wrote on it thats it!, so I managed to keep going.

For a couple of hours afterwards I was pretty down as I had missed the target time by a big margin, but I realised I had lost perspective of why I started running 6 months ago and why i wanted to complete a marathon, in order to raise money for Marie Curie who had given me such support during difficult occasions and that the time was insignificant.

Would I do another? I don’t think running is my Forte but it has been such a positive experience that I don’t think I should abandon it altogether, and who knows I could be back, and be on here reading all the posts for DCM 2013 – hopefully I will take on board all the excellent advice next time!!!!
    Thanks again to everyone for posting on here!

I don't think you should've been disappointed, you were only 6 minutes off target. Thats only a tiny margin! I came in a minute after you and I was on the same target as you.
    You should read the likes of Diggers debut marathon especially his first half time compared to his second half.

On a different note, I have to agree about Martha (though I'm a straight woman). I was behind her for a few minutes the other day and was thinking she had fantastic muscle definition in her legs now that you mention her

rasher_m wrote: »
    I have to agree about Martha (though I'm a straight woman). I was behind her for a few minutes the other day and was thinking she had fantastic muscle definition in her legs now that you mention her

Jeez why didn't anyone tell us these things before we selected our target times? There's one for the "what would you like to have known list" - where are the good-looking pacers!:p:o

Target: get to the finish line, even if it’s on my hands & knees, & GET THAT T-SHIRT!
    Estimated time: between 4:45 – 5:00
    Actual time: 4:58 having run the entire way, couldn’t be happier than that!

FiiFii, Curr33 & I headed into the starting area near the 5h pacers where we met Walkedit & DeeDee. Was great to meet other boardsies at the start line, and we headed off together.

Shortie great report & super run, I've been waiting to hear your story. Raging I missed both you and Fifi over the last few miles. I was totally looking out for ye but probably with tunnel vision.

I was saying hello to everyone I could to encourage them and just to keep myself going. Actually that's my tip for surviving tough final miles, find next one going just faster then you and ask can you run with them for a bit (with very few words!), they probably need the help too - so it cuts both ways. I did that with Shannon Corbally(#7825), then she ran with Caoimhe after I pushed on and we all got to the line together Win/Win.

Anyway looking forward to hearing of your future exploits and enjoy Paris, you'll be your OH's perfect pacer.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Jeez why didn't anyone tell us these things before we selected our target times? There's one for the "what would you like to have known list" - where are the good-looking pacers!:p:o

Yeah no wonder Cabbage was keeping up with them in the end:D
    That must've been the reason I lost the pacers...I couldn't see any good looking male ones ;):D:D:D

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah no wonder Cabbage was keeping up with them in the end:D
    That must've been the reason I lost the pacers...I couldn't see any good looking male ones ;):D:D:D

Ouch. After all they did for us....:eek:

Ouch. After all they did for us....:eek:

A yeah there was a few bruised ego's alright after I slipped the number of River Medical to a few of them :D:D and then ran off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Walkedit wrote: »
    Anyway looking forward to hearing of your future exploits and enjoy Paris, you'll be your OH's perfect pacer.

Ha ha! :D Thanks Walkedit! My OH is a triathlete! He's far fitter & faster than I am, but I can keep going for longer. Slooooow & steady! I've entered myself (perhaps a bit ambitiously!) in the sub 2h category with him, so at least we'll start off together!

Ha ha! :D Thanks Walkedit! My OH is a triathlete! He's far fitter & faster than I am, but I can keep going for longer. Slooooow & steady! I've entered myself (perhaps a bit ambitiously!) in the sub 2h category with him, so at least we'll start off together!

ah that makes sense

are you keeping the watch? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Walkedit wrote: »
    Sassyj they would also be my local club so SNAP. They have a web-site with lots of info. I mailed them a few weeks back when I started thinking about life post Marathon (I know that was b4 the 'Thon just visualizing success!), got a lovely prompt reply, very welcoming, saying "we`d be delighted if you`d join us" also said "we have a thriving masters section" but that probably only applies to me. I'm defo going to go along. Looking at result we clocked the almost same 04:5X, if your local we may run some same training routes? My youngun also trained with them for a while a few years back and had a good experience, friendly but want you to give it a lash as well -well able to dole out HTFU. Fees about €150 p.a.

Let me know if your going along, perhaps we can arrange two new marathoners to join the Harriers same day. Safety in numbers!

We've probably passed each other at some stage over all the weeks of training! I am on hols next week, so will look at getting my act together after that, will pm you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Usually don't post until I've caught up with the thread, the last few days the race reports have been coming in quicker than I could read them so only getting around to it now. Some great runs and realy entertaining tales in there.

a Target: 3:45
    b Target: sub 4
    Result: 3:58:19

Really thought I had 3:45 in me after a 1:40:xx HM. Started back too far in field and lost time in the initial miles with the crowds. Waited until it thinned out to make time back (10 secs per mile) steadily over miles 5 - 18 to get back on track by mile 18. I knew it was a massive risk but I wasn't willing to give up the goal that early in the race.

Hips gave me fierce trouble then and I knew I couldn't keep that pace up as they stiffenned and restricted movement. Last 8 miles were pretty sore with knock on effects from that but I got there under 4 after a massive achy slow down.

Managed to enjoy it all the same, it was a fantastic experience which has been summed up plenty by other posters already which I couldn't possibly improve on.

Lessons learned:
    - Get in the right position for the start.
    - Don't try and make up ground too quickly
    - Work on hip strength, got a lot to do there for strength and conditioning.

Next steps:
    - Got a series of PB's to smash

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

npresto wrote: »
    Have a laugh at the state of me crossing the finish and then collapsing over the line.

Just follow me coming down the left side of the video and then being put into a wheelchair. :D:D:D

I don't remember anything after I crossed the line.

My legs are still in a lot of pain and I can't walk properly.

Noel - where did you get this video? Did you buy it from the Dublin Marathon site? I'd love to see myself going over the finish line.

Well done you, and you got a call out from the announcer too!

Thanks
    Mulberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

How's this?

Ha! how wrecked do I look! I remember that, saw a camera and said "this is my opportunity' Good stuff Dilbert! Thanks

Mulberry wrote: »
    Noel - where did you get this video? Did you buy it from the Dublin Marathon site? I'd love to see myself going over the finish line.

Well done you, and you got a call out from the announcer too!

Thanks
    Mulberry.

You can buy your video here: http://mysports.tv/default.htm but you can play/download a video bought by someone else.

I just searched till I found one bought by someone else per instructions below.
    • Go to the results section of the DCM Website and search for your results. http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php
    • Note your FINISH TIME (not chip time)
    • Then do a search again for ALL runners i.e. don't enter any bib number
    • Sort the results by FINISH TIME and go to the page where your result is.
    • Now start clicking the names of other finishers above and below you to find someone who has paid for their video and then you can watch/download the finish video.
    • When you find a video, you have to select one of the finish cameras. The best camera is "Finish - Merrion Square North"

The problem is that the full list of finishers is a mix of all 3 waves so a runner might have the same finish time as you but actually finished 10 mins before or after you because they started in a wave before or after your wave.
    When you play one of the videos the trick is to look at the correct clock for your wave to determine if you finished around the same time as other finisher in the video.

I was lucky to find one video but I had to click quite a few to find it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I done similar to ^^ and eventually found clips of me at all stages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

You can buy your video here: http://mysports.tv/default.htm but you can play/download a video bought by someone else.

I just searched till I found one bought by someone else per instructions below.
    • Go to the results section of the DCM Website and search for your results. http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php
    • Note your FINISH TIME (not chip time)
    • Then do a search again for ALL runners i.e. don't enter any bib number
    • Sort the results by FINISH TIME and go to the page where your result is.
    • Now start clicking the names of other finishers above and below you to find someone who has paid for their video and then you can watch/download the finish video.
    • When you find a video, you have to select one of the finish cameras. The best camera is "Finish - Merrion Square North"

The problem is that the full list of finishers is a mix of all 3 waves so a runner might have the same finish time as you but actually finished 10 mins before or after you because they started in a wave before or after your wave.
    When you play one of the videos the trick is to look at the correct clock for your wave to determine if you finished around the same time as other finisher in the video.

I was lucky to find one video but I had to click quite a few to find it. :cool:

Nice one Noel! The website is not cooperating at the moment but I'll try it again later and hopefully find someone who coughed up for the video.

Thanks for that!

Mulberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Ok, here goes, apologies this has taken me a few days but between the spin home on Tuesday, work yesterday etc, I had intended posting last night but it took me nearly an hour & a half to get through the posts that I had to catch up on & I then fell asleep on the sofa:eek:
    My target time was between 4 & 4.15 so the plan was to see where I was after 20 miles & go from there.Started about 50 yards behind the 4 hr guys but had lost sight of them by the time we got down by Trinity College so said to myself that I 'd plod along & I'd surely catch sight of them again in the park.Passed some guy on the ground on Dorset St who seemed to be in a bad way so hope he was ok, its a bummer to go 2 miles & something like that happens,some other guy walked off the road around Phibsborough - dont know what happened but his race was over also.Looked at my watch at 3 miles & was at 28 mins odd so I said ok I'm doing fine, relax & motor on into the park which was great, I really enjoyed this section (any people who train here are so lucky to be able to run this every week,it was a lovely run), spotted the 4 hr pacers about 150 yards ahead of me so was happy out going over the 10k in just under an hour,contemplated taking a p break but said no because I didnt want to lose sight of them again & was feeling ok so ploughed on & they were just 50 yards ahead by the exit on to Chapelizod, I didnt find this section too bad & went up the hill fairly comfortably - some guy shouted oggy, oggy, oggy when we went under the bridge & of course everyone else in the group carried it on which was great but when some fellow behind did the same he got no response which was funny. I stayed fairly well on pace then with the 4 hr boys but I was going into unknown territory as I didnt know the places we were running through which was a bit of a disadvantage but kept on a even pace going through the half in just under 2 hours - that was the plan so happy out.I said to myself that if I could get maybe 50 yards ahead of the pacers I could go for my p break & fall in again behind them but I was a bit scared to push on too much so when I went slightly ahead of them for a while they were right behind me when I looked around again so I hadnt gone anywhere.Was starting to feel it at around mile 19 so I eased back a small bit & said now is the time for that p break & re group so thats what I did & passed over the 20 miles in just over 3 hours, the pacers had gone about 100 yards ahead at this stage so I said grand no problem just sit in & run along & see what happens,i knew that Roebuck hill was around somewhere but not knowing where I was I didnt know that it was around the corner so when I saw it in the distance I said oh s***t, I think I'm in trouble, its not that its that big a deal its just that it comes at 20+ miles when your starting to get tired.Got over the top, never saw Ray Darcy but being honest I wouldnt have seen Catherine Zeta Jones either:eek: Once I got to there I knew that I was in serious trouble as i couldnt kick on again going down the hill & I could see the 4 hr pacers about 150 yards ahead, got a bottle of water at the end of the hill & for the first time I walked through the station & plodded off again down towards the UCD flyover & saw the 4 hr boys diappearing into the distance, got over & headed for the RTE turnoff but at this stage it was just get home if you can, got on past the RDS & turned down the road but had to stop & stretch as my legs were in meltdown, hamstrings, knees, quads, hips & up into my backside were screaming at me to do something & it didnt involve moving forward, I finally got to the last water station, walked through it & gulped down some water. From there on I dont know where or how I gathered the energy to get home, it was all the Halloweens that I've ever had rolled up into one - a complete hightmare.I came around the never ending corner of Trinity college on fumes & that last run up towards the finish must be the longest finish of all times at I thought I'd never get there - BUT I DID:eek:I have never in my life felt as bad & I have never in my life put my body or mind through something as tough as those last 4 miles - but I'm living to tell the tale & they say what doesent kill you will make you stronger. The last miles are mostly a blank but as someone said in an earlier post your mind has strange ways of blanking out some things & this is why women have more than one child - I didnt have a child but Jesus it might have been easier:eek:.I knew when I got to Pearse St cop station I was nearly home but I cant thank the crowds enough for getting me through those last few miles - respect, respect, respect!!!!!When I got over the line my watch had just gone over 4.12 & I just melted, I went over to the side, threw myself over a barrier for a few minutes & then tried to move but oh horror I had seized up so gathered myself to get my medal ( which I kissed) & tshirt.It took me about 5 mins to get up towards baggage reclaim where I met a few friends but I was wasted big time.I felt as though I was going to throw up from about mile 22 & that feeling didnt go away for about 2 hrs after the finish - as I said above I took myself & my body to somewhere that I have never been before -fair enough I have never ran 26 miles either but I was at the bottom of the well for a long time but I survived.
    In hindsight I should have gone with the 4.15 pacers & kicked on if I could rather than emptying the tank & falling home for a bad last 5 miles which slightly spoiled the experience as I really enjoyed the first 21 miles.After the nightmare I still got home in 4.12 so that would probably have been a better plan but for my own competitive self I was on 4 hr pace for 20+ miles which is where I wanted to be & I cant say what if this or that happened because when I crossed the finish line I was empty, I'd nothing left to give & I couldnt have ran it any quicker so theres no regrets on that score.
    Will I do another one - I dont know at the moment - I said never again at the finish so its getting better:eek::eek:Yeah I felt yesterday that I had a small bit of unfinished business but its too early & my legs are too sore to make a decision but I know that I'm going to keep running to keep up the fitness & keep my weight in check.
    What have I learned from the experience - you need a running buddy for the LSR's, you dont need an ipod to keep going when the going gets tough,Dublin people are fantastic,I couldnt say enough about them the support was unbelievable - I felt like an elite athlete at times running the Olympic marathon, put your name on your bib or number no matter how you feel about doing it - I didnt & I now know that I should have,go with what the experienced guys tell you on this forum or in general, they know best & your half & 10k times do matter when you calculate your expected time - it was spot on for me anyway.Do your LSR slower than slow & realise why you are doing them that slow because in a marathon you will be out there that long. Dont go out too fast no matter how good you feel - take note for anyone reading this next year - I was great & crusing after 19, good after 20,struggling by 21 & nearly dead at 22!!!

I couldnt make it to McGrattens as I wasnt physically able & i wouldnt have been great company either plus I had family there as well so it was best to head back to the hotel SLOWLY:D:eek: so hopefully I will meet some of you people some time.However just reading the posts I must have been running next to some of you for a long time with the 4 hr guys & some of us must have been on the final run in together - I was the guy that looked f****d:eek::eek: Does anyone know who the pacers were or do they post on here one of them had a tattoo on the side of his leg & another guy was about 6 ft plus???? - machines, machines, machines!!!!!
    Sorry for the long post, but no doubt I'll be adding to other posts in the next few days.
    Oh by the way "I'M A MARATHONER" :eek::eek: yeah baby :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

docrock wrote: »
    Does anyone know who the pacers were or do they post on here one of them had a tattoo on the side of his leg & another guy was about 6 ft plus???? - machines, machines, machienes!!!!!

The pacers are all boardsies!

Kandikane, Oisin11178, Breffni Blue and Runningcoach all paced 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU. It took me couple of days to get the courage to reopen this forum page. I got sick the night before the marathon, bad tonsilitis infection with high fever couldn't make it. The worst was that I had to drive my brother in law to the start line. It was tough being there and not being able to run it after all the training. But I have to say at some stage looking at those 3 waves passing in front of me, I thought of all of yous and your comments on this forum and was proud of you :) Well done again! I would loe to find another marathon to run before the end of the year somewhere in Ireland even if it s not the same as DCM, just to reward myself for all that training...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

lmguillou wrote: »
    CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU. It took me couple of days to get the courage to reopen this forum page. I got sick the night before the marathon, bad tonsilitis infection with high fever couldn't make it. The worst was that I had to drive my brother in law to the start line. It was tough being there and not being able to run it after all the training. But I have to say at some stage looking at those 3 waves passing in front of me, I thought of all of yous and your comments on this forum and was proud of you :) Well done again! I would loe to find another marathon to run before the end of the year somewhere in Ireland even if it s not the same as DCM, just to reward myself for all that training...

Sorry to hear that lmguillou, tough break. i know there is a marathon in Clonakillty in December but might be a bit of a trek for you...make a weekend of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

blockic wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that lmguillou, tough break. i know there is a marathon in Clonakillty in December but might be a bit of a trek for you...make a weekend of it! :)

Thanks blockic, that's the one I was thinking of actually :) would love to hear feedback from people who ran that one in the past

I done similar to ^^ and eventually found clips of me at all stages!

How did you manage to find videos at the other stages?

Trial and error or did you have a method?

Ha! how wrecked do I look! I remember that, saw a camera and said "this is my opportunity' Good stuff Dilbert! Thanks

Mrs D was figuring that she must have missed every camera on the course, even at the end where she only got the photos of the melee. But when you click on the "find more photos" link on the right it allows you set your clothing type and colour, gender, etc. and it then pulls out more photos which meet your criteria. We found 6 more photos of Mrs D crossing the line with her number all scrunched up, so it's worth a try for anyone who can't find photos. I'm not sure I'd pay the prices they're looking for but at least it's am option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

How did you manage to find videos at the other stages?

Trial and error or did you have a method?
    I got an email from them with a link to my videos, they had me at about 10 spots along the course. I looked better than I expected finishing! I was screaming internally but smiling externally :D
    lmguillou wrote: »
    Thanks blockic, that's the one I was thinking of actually smile.png would love to hear feedback from people who ran that one in the past
    Sorry to hear you had to pull out of DCM, what a bummer at the last minute. I haven't ran Clonakilty, but I do know it is a quite difficult, hilly course. I would imagine parts of it would be a bit lonely crowd wise, but the scenery would be stunning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Advertisement