Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Too many drubbings in this comp. 128 players, and mainly best of 11. Like others have said it's a diluted down version of what it was. Also, as one or two posters have said I too think that an 'open draw' is the way to go; for various reasons.

In that format once it got down to the last 16 half or more of the matches would be competitive (maybe 1 or 2 hammerings) , but at least it would give the lower ranked players a chance of making an impact and progressing in the game.

Other alternative make it a top 16 like the Masters and would be guaranteed good games. I like seeing the new players though. I think an open draw in the last 32/64 would be the right compromise.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jak Jones is a great name reads like a name you would see in an American film.
    John Higgins looks like he will be playing snooker until he is 60 like Fred Davis. Very consistent.

Jak Jones is a great name reads like a name you would see in an American film.
    John Higgins looks like he will be playing snooker until he is 60 like Fred Davis. Very consistent.

:D And Ronnie will be long since retired, and doing his punditry; telling everyone that John is the best player on the circuit :pac:

:D And Ronnie will be long since retired, and doing his punditry; telling everyone that John is the best player on the circuit :pac:

'Granite' never ages... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I don't mind the best of 11's myself but the amount of one sided live tv games has been a bit of a drab spectacle so far. Continuing to show the top players v far inferior players might not be best practise. The reigning champion Ding and Ronnie going out early hasn't exactly helped things either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think open draw is ever a good idea, more that they shouldn't use the fixed bracket of 1 v 128, 2 v 127.....64 v 65.
    Instead allow anyone outside the Top 64 to face anyone within the T64 in the first round.

So you might get 3 v 66 and 40 v 128 etc. 3 v 66 is theoretically a much better game for TV in the first round than 3 v 126 whilst 40 v 128 at least means that the lowest ranked player in the world isn't automatically being throw in against Ronnie or Trump etc.

Its close to the way the Worlds does it, the unseeded players can play any of the seeds as it's a random draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The current format is the result of a compromise when they introduced the 128 player field. The bbc, along with most or probably all the top 16, bitterly opposed it and as a sop to them, world snooker agreed to the rankings based draw. It doesn't happen for any other 128 player event.

Li has made so many mistakes and we're only in the second frame. First time i've seen him play and on this form he'll be going home very soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Li has made so many mistakes and we're only in the second frame. First time i've seen him play and on this form he'll be going home very soon.

Quality shirt though

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Quality shirt though

Nive dicky bow ;)

• Advertisement

Graham Dott leading Ballrun Bingham 4-0 is an eyecatching scoreline.

And Robbo wraps up another one sided drab contest 6-2. The UK is a very slow burner this year. It just hasn't caught fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just a heads-up for anyone interested that the Mosconi Cup starts tonight until Friday, all 4 evenings seem to be live on Sky Sports Mix (the free channel).

Different skillset and not everyone's cup of tea, but hey, it is the Snooker & Pool forum!

Vafaei is talking very confidently pre match here, seems to be in a good place mentally which hasnt always been the case. Usually gives Selby a good match so this has potential to be decent.

1-1 but Vafaei needed 4 chances and a fluke to win it. Bit more clinical and may have a decent chance.

Good safety exchange atm... Brown is safe, and they'll both need it...

Some good safety exchange here. Selby usually thrives in these tactical battles but Vafei not wilting.

More than holding his own, the Iranian.. Great attempt at that difficult red too.. Brown out now, and green relatively safe.. Good viewing this

If Ronnie was playing here he'd have cracked up and smashed them about 50 shots ago :)

There are only three certainties in life:

1 Death
    2 Taxes
    3 Mark Selby winning a marathon safety exchange

• Advertisement

2 apiece - pity about Vafei's position on green. Deserved a bit more luck from that great yellow. Mark had the rub there the last few shots..

There are only three certainties in life:

1 Death
    2 Taxes
    3 Mark Selby winning a marathon safety exchange
    2 apiece - pity about Vafei's position on green. Deserved a bit more luck from that great yellow. Mark had the rub there the last few shots..

The two lads with 13 world titles between them are losing the will to live.
    Hilarious to listen to.

Hendry: (filling the silence) 'So Steve did you enjoy matches like this and safety play?'

Davis: 'I wouldn't say enjoy. I just got in a mode and got through it.'

Hendry: (getting desperate for something to say asked Davis a general question about the match)

Davis: 'Ah (sigh) I don't know....'

Hendry: 'What do you mean you don't know? Is that it? You have to say something!'

:D

That was an utterly enthralling frame of snooker imo. Vafaei had a chance to pot that red before Selby did, looked at it but didn't fancy it. Might have won it for him, but disappointing to be only 2-2 way Selby playing.

Vafei really shouldn't have left himself so awkward on the pink. He nearly played a great shot to go round the table and canon the black but thereafter Selby played three or four granite safety shots to force the error to win the frame. Selby at his suffocating best at the end to lead 5-2.

Vafaei wasn't clinical enough early on and losing that marathon frame buried him. And Joe O'Connor somehow losing to Perry when 5-2 up and 8th frame at his mercy. Have the talent these guys, just not the winning mentality.

BBC still showing delayed highlights of Selby match. For anyone with the channel, and maybe indifferent about tonight's matchup (didn't quite catch who's playing myself :D) ; the great man Ronnie will be on punditry duties from 6.45 on Eurosport.

Worth watching for that alone :) Plus, according to Murray, we might get his views on "Sportstar of the year" - sounds good to me :D

I disagree Joe - don't think red goes to corner..

I disagree Joe - don't think red goes to corner..

Seems red went after all... Great start by MJW - some lovely positional shots in that decisive break..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Seems red went after all... Great start by MJW - some lovely positional shots in that decisive break..

First two frames were a decent standard, but the third and this fourth frame have been poor

• Advertisement

Another safety stalement here tonight but both players nowhere near Mark Selby's tactical genius from earlier today. Although i don't think anyone is to be fair.

Advertisement