Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

No 5 SFL heifer 287 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

After losing a grand 3 week old calf, seen him yesterday at 3 o clock and he stood and stretched with no obvious ailments. Was sitting down with his head tucked in like he was sleeping when I found him this morning. Annoyed now that I must have missed something yesterday, dehorned him 3 days ago and maybe it brought on meningitis or something. Sickened either way anyway. Had a springer on her back as well this morning. Lucky to get her in time.

Are they done for clostridial. Could of been blackleg or tetanus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

K9 wrote: »

That's what i was thinking, meningitis doesn't kill suddenly like that afaik.
    Found a three week old calf dead in the field a few years back, saw her running around the field a few hours earlier.

You can't cover calves against clostridial disease at that age, can you??

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

tanko wrote: »
    That's what i was thinking, meningitis doesn't kill suddenly like that afaik.
    Found a three week old calf dead in the field a few years back, saw her running around the field a few hours earlier.

You can't cover calves against clostridial disease at that age, can you??

Probably have to do the cows before calving. Can do calves after 2weeks but takes I think 2 weeks to be covered after administering. Then the second shot 4/6 weeks after

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

K9 wrote: »

Too quick for tetanus and probably too young for Blackleg, but a clostridial enterotoxaemia would be a possibility.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

For lambs, colostral protection lasts 3-4 months so calves should be vaguely similar.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Grueller

November calf lame there now when I went to the shed. Bit of swelling at the heel in between the crubeens. I have no amoxycillin in the press only had oxytetracycline. I gave her a shot. Is that any good for lameness. I can't remember what I got it for. Also a spray of alamycin aerosol on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Sami23

Had a cow calf last night and 1 of her teats is blocked and I can't free it up. I tried softening it with water and even tried pushing a dry cow tube into it to try free it but no joy.
    Anyone any tips how to sort this problem.
    I know the calf won't need it straight away but don't want to leave it blocked either.
    Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭High bike

Sami23 wrote: »
    Had a cow calf last night and 1 of her teats is blocked and I can't free it up. I tried softening it with water and even tried pushing a dry cow tube into it to try free it but no joy.
    Anyone any tips how to sort this problem.
    I know the calf won't need it straight away but don't want to leave it blocked either.
    Tia
    you probably need something longer like a cotton bud,had something similar last year and the vet freed it with a long steel implement dont know what it was just be careful with it.Are u sure its soft and she hasn't mastitis?

High bike wrote: »
    you probably need something longer like a cotton bud,had something similar last year and the vet freed it with a long steel implement dont know what it was just be careful with it.Are u sure its soft and she hasn't mastitis?

Yeah seems just as soft as the others so 99% sure not mastitis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is it trying to milk?
    Your can get a really long metal milking needles. That might be what you need, but I'd be worried about an infection if it is not milking.
    Are you sure it's not blind?

Is it trying to milk?
    Your can get a really long metal milking needles. That might be what you need, but I'd be worried about an infection if it is not milking.
    Are you sure it's not blind?

No it's not blind and feels fine just can't get milk out

Zag bull 297 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cionn80

Getting near bed time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cionn80 wrote: »
    Getting near bed time

Indeed. Another calf born. Alarm set for 4 hours time...

whelan2 wrote: »
    Indeed. Another calf born. Alarm set for 4 hours time...

Sorry was trying to post a picture of a newborn but it wouldn’t let me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Cionn80 wrote: »
    Sorry was trying to post a picture of a newborn but it wouldn’t let me

I think you have to have a certain number of posts to post pictures, 20 or 50 posts or something like that.

tanko wrote: »
    I think you have to have a certain number of posts to post pictures, 20 or 50 posts or something like that.

Ok, I’ve done it before though, but the last couple of time I tried, it wouldn’t let me

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

4 in the last 2 days here, all heifer's.
    Lovely lodge hamlet heifer calf of LMx(dairy) 2nd Calver today, she's nice length & shape, hopefully turns into nice replacement as the mother has milk.
    2 other ZAG heifers but both very small & short from big HEx & AAx cows. ZAG just doesn't cross well on my cows at all, won't be using him again. One calf is just 29kg at birth, great lively calf.
    Other one is Knell and nice calf too.
    All calved themselves this year so far which is great comfort when at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Who2

4 in the last 2 days here, all heifer's.
    Lovely lodge hamlet heifer calf of LMx(dairy) 2nd Calver today, she's nice length & shape, hopefully turns into nice replacement as the mother has milk.
    2 other ZAG heifers but both very small & short from big HEx & AAx cows. ZAG just doesn't cross well on my cows at all, won't be using him again. One calf is just 29kg at birth, great lively calf.
    Other one is Knell and nice calf too.
    All calved themselves this year so far which is great comfort when at work.

I’d a lodge hamlet of an mbp heifer and an eby of a gunshot heifer here this year and they are both exceptionally lively rats of things, it’ll be curious to see if they shape up. I’d another si heifer calve down a plain but growthy lodge hamlet heifer here, which I’d count the pick of them. The rest all got sa and si and all I have are bulls.

• Advertisement

Eby bull off 1st timer, 294 days.
    Was hoping for a few heifers. 5 bulls 2 ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭50HX

Found zag fine on smaller cows, hopeless on big framed cows

Sold a zag heifer last week, 610kg @ 25mnths made 1480
    Had her ai'd but broke down, left heright on with remaining heifers that were ai'd
    Got soybean as a weanling with prob 1kg of ration for first winter, never again saw ration

5 calved since sat a.m

Vet to a fiston that turned sideways inside and head back, wasn't comfortable in getting him to turn, every man/woman there own job, took a bit of jacking at the hips tho

Cows are mud fat this year by me, not helping with calving, had to Jack another fsz and another edj blue as well

Lost a smasher dbz heifer (only 3 straws left), calved inside the cover with head turned back, cow was very agreesive and by the time I got her out of the pen she was gone
    Better than me stretched in the yard I suppose but still scorned

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

50HX wrote: »
    5 calved since sat a.m

Vet to a fiston that turned sideways inside and head back, wasn't comfortable in getting him to turn, every man/woman there own job, took a bit of jacking at the hips tho

Cows are mud fat this year by me, not helping with calving, had to Jack another fsz and another edj blue as well

Lost a smasher dbz heifer (only 3 straws left), calved inside the cover with head turned back, cow was very agreesive and by the time I got her out of the pen she was gone
    Better than me stretched in the yard I suppose but still scornec

Can you still get edj straws or was it just one you've had for a long time? Used to have a smashing cow bred by him

I don't think he's there anymore, I have a few left in the pot, i've an edj heifer to calve in sept

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Over the halfway point now with a nice lim x char calf I think it’s a heifer. Mammy not up for letting me look much. She took an age to come and then took her time calving when she did come but she’s a month earlier this year and no jack. That’ll do well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Whelan - how is the calf's eye now. Did it improve with the injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    Whelan - how is the calf's eye now. Did it improve with the injection.

Calf is a lot better thanks. We let her and the mother out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

New arrival in the early hours - a Highfield Odhran SA heifer calf off an AU first calver. Calved herself practically - lovely red calf with a replacement index of 197. Used that bull many times but my first time getting a heifer... delighted 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭High bike

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    New arrival in the early hours - a Highfield Odhran SA heifer calf off an AU first calver. Calved herself practically - lovely red calf with a replacement index of 197. Used that bull many times but my first time getting a heifer... delighted ��
    is that bull still available?

Advertisement