Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Another big calf out of HE 4297. 4 days over had to Jack him out, cow weak on left side. Had about 15 calves out of him and had to Jack 3. All on 2nd plus lactation cows and strong ones at that. Dunno will I use him again tbh. Supposed to be polled so u thought the head might be smaller but big heads and a share of em with marching bodies to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Ya he got the vitesel injection on day 2, he's outside during the days and in at night for another few days anyway, he seems to have the flexibility in the joint over the hoof but lacks the strength to hold his hoof down on ground correctly , it tend to go forward on him, sometimes you'll see him doing it correctly and then he'll knuckle forward on it, hopefully as he strengthens he'll be able to correct the problem, He's a cracker of a calf, they always are I suppose that why it happens.

Have often had ones like that and they’ve always come right so hopefully you’ll have good outcome. Have one this year and he came right after a weeek and he’s flying it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

The Bbq heifer from weekend.
    Her full sister is lot number 715 in gortalea this evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Have you a pre guaranteed price for this evening :D:D:D
    best of luck either way with her

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Have you a pre guaranteed price for this evening :D:D:D
    best of luck either way with her

Not mine, but he normally comes away with huge smile on him. I was tempted to buy in the yard.
    He keeps 6 cows and I can never figure out is it the breeding or meal that he is bale to get them like he does. I'd be selling 2 to get same as he does for 1.

In queue for over an hour earlier. Back there at 2, and already 200 lots in. Annoying enough when you see lads driving up skipping on ahead.
    Maurice doesn't hand out the numbers early... ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

How soon on average are ye letting cows and calves out to grass after calving.
    I'm debating whether to let a few out tomorrow but worried about the harsh weather forecast from Sunday on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

Sami23 wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to let a few out tomorrow but worried about the harsh weather forecast from Sunday on ?

Let them off, they look after themselves better than any farmer! Most of mine calve outside, never see any harm come to them as long as they are suckling regular ( cow not kicking, large teats etc). Trying to find them hidden in ditches is another story. Let them off early in morning so they get used to being out, and in small bunches if you can manage it ( you can join small bunches together the in a few days)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

We’ve got ours out in groups of 4 and 2 with their Calves. Youngest calves are a good week old going out though. I worry about tetany a bit but they’re getting hay and licks. They say second grazing is lushier grass and worse risk though
    If weather gets very dirty they’ll come back in

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Once they can suck, walk & not overly bad weather I let them out here. Always in the morning and into the sheltered paddocks 1st so they understand the electric fence. Some could be a couple hours old. Never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭High bike

Out here within 24 hrs of calving weather permitting ,so long as they are sucking and have shelter.They toughen up very quickly and no scour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Looking for some advise here on a calf I had born last week, he was quite a big calf and took a bit of a pull but no jack involved, however he struggled to stand as he was knuckling forward on his two front legs due to shortage of space in womb, He got an injection from vet the next morning to relax the tendons to allow him to stand. He took a while to suck even from a bottle and needed to be tubed once so he was slow to get going, At this stage he is flying in all regards except one of is front legs still isn't right he still goes forward on it quite a bit. Funny thing is he can run grand but when walking or standing he tends to go forward on it. Rang the vet again to see would he need a follow up dose on the injection and he said give him more time. Just wondering what experiences people have of this issue as I think it common enough. Do they usually come right with no more intervention.

I had a calf with the same issue a couple of years ago with the legs knuckling forward, was good and lively, had no issues sucking and the legs came right after a couple of weeks. I'd agree with the advice, just a bit of time.

Just wondering do ye usually feed any meal (dairy nuts) to sucklers over the summer to help drive on the milk and also keep them quiet for moving them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭50HX

Just wondering do ye usually feed any meal (dairy nuts) to sucklers over the summer to help drive on the milk and also keep them quiet for moving them etc.

I don't anyway, name of the game here is to keep costs to a minimum

Cows are milky enough, if they weren't I think creep feeding the calves would give a better return imo

I'd give them nuts with the calves for a bit late in the summer for ease of weaning but not for milk, surely fresh grass at turnout is the best way to do that.

No, cows get nothing. I am wondering if they should be getting minerals all through year alright

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

tellmeabit wrote: »
    No, cows get nothing. I am wondering if they should be getting minerals all through year alright

Boluses.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I use nuts to get the cows in to the yard for everything from AI to dosing, dehorning calves etc. So just sprinkle on the passage way of the slated Shed. All I need to then is just call them and they all come, no running after them or anything. That's the only nuts the cows get. I've them well trained & saves alot of time & stress

I use nuts to get the cows in to the yard for everything from AI to dosing, dehorning calves etc. So just sprinkle on the passage way of the slated Shed. All I need to then is just call them and they all come, no running after them or anything. That's the only nuts the cows get. I've them well trained & saves alot of time & stress

So ud just give them nuts in those particular days and not all summer is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

greysides wrote: »
    Boluses.

Are there any mineral bolouses to give to pre-calving cows instead of powdered minerals over silage?

So ud just give them nuts in those particular days and not all summer is it ?

Exactly & it would only be a bucket full between them, It's being done like that the last few years. The calves even get used to it so when they grow to heifers & cows it's already familiar to them. Makes herding them very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Are there any mineral bolouses to give to pre-calving cows instead of powdered minerals over silage?

There's only 4 minerals in them compared to a lot more in a drench or powdered

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Presumably all in-calf heifers were tested as calves and were negative. The PCR test checks for virus in the ear samples. Once negative, the heifers will not become carriers even if they contact the virus, they will just produce antibodies and become antibody positive. The problem is that if they are pregnant at the time they contact the virus the calf may become persistently infected - a carrier. The rules are there to stop any potential carriers being sold on.

If the in-calf heifers were blood tested for antibody and were negative then (as the PCR test says they're not carriers - carriers are also antibody negative) they haven't been exposed to the virus and their calves can't be carriers.

This should allow you to sell them.

(If they've been already vaccinated you're snookered as that will make them antibody positive.)

Wasn't told by my vet what the blood test was for, all he told me was that they came back negative and as a result I can't move on the in calf heifers until they calve. First time ever having a BVD scare and vet thought it happened as a result of the virus going through the cow while she was in calf. Appreciate the response

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

When housed I prefer the powdered minerals. I think it mimics a natural intake best. Boluses then for the outdoor season.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

When housed I prefer the powdered minerals. I think it mimics a natural intake best. Boluses then for the outdoor season.

Have been giving seaweed meal as a precalfer, they got a bit over the summer too, cattle love the stuff. Supposed to be full of minerals for them. It might have the added bonus of having extra minerals in the slurry when it goes out too, but in fairness the amount would be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

endainoz wrote: »
    Have been giving seaweed meal as a precalfer, they got a bit over the summer too, cattle love the stuff. Supposed to be full of minerals for them. It might have the added bonus of having extra minerals in the slurry when it goes out too, but in fairness the amount would be tiny.
    Possibly due to high levels of NaCl in the seaweed making it palatable?
    Years ago farmers used to throw salt on a new born calf or lamb if the heifer/ewe rejected it. The action of the heifer/ewe licking the salt off the new born would help to stimulate the natural maternity bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Mooooo wrote: »
    Another big calf out of HE 4297. 4 days over had to Jack him out, cow weak on left side. Had about 15 calves out of him and had to Jack 3. All on 2nd plus lactation cows and strong ones at that. Dunno will I use him again tbh. Supposed to be polled so u thought the head might be smaller but big heads and a share of em with marching bodies to boot
    Have two of them. Some lumps of calves they stand out from the crowd.really long and square. Seem polled at 5 weeks both off mature cows.Like you I’d be slow to use him again. Really rattled one of the cows. Serious calves though. Used HE4643 as well a lot easier on them but calves don’t compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Scanned my weanling heifers from last year 3 turned up 6 months in calf....had vet scanning them in December but he had to leave early due to an emergency and I forgot to get him back...fairly sickened this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Scanned my weanling heifers from last year 3 turned up 6 months in calf....had vet scanning them in December but he had to leave early due to an emergency and I forgot to get him back...fairly sickened this evening

What is your plan? Probably on the late side to induce abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭High bike

What is your plan? Probably on the late side to induce abortion.
    worried i might have one here too,at what stage can u do that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,233 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did vet advise what to do?

Advertisement