Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@ Whelan - I was reading up on vit A deficiency and it can cause eye and other problems in calves. Apparently calves get vit A from colostrum so if the cow is deficient then the calf is automatically deficient.

I haven't had a chance to check up the ingredients of the multimin injection that you gave the calve but check to see if it includes vitamins cause the name sounds like it only incudes minerals.
    Maybe Greysides or one of the other Vets will give an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

New one for me, neighbour called that he had a calf coming backwards and only 1 leg coming. Got him straightened up and after a battle this is what appeared out. No bone on the top of the skull and front legs reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

New one for me, neighbour called that he had a calf coming backwards and only 1 leg coming. Got him straightened up and after a battle this is what appeared out. No bone on the top of the skull and front legs reversed.

Good job he wasn't alive, be awful for him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Another one with lovely colours from yesterday, pity about the pair of balls on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,231 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    @ Whelan - I was reading up on vit A deficiency and it can cause eye and other problems in calves. Apparently calves get vit A from colostrum so if the cow is deficient then the calf is automatically deficient.

I haven't had a chance to check up the ingredients of the multimin injection that you gave the calve but check to see if it includes vitamins cause the name sounds like it only incudes minerals.
    Maybe Greysides or one of the other Vets will give an opinion.

Got vet out. Calf has a temperature. Lungs ok. Injected her in the eye. Slight scour. Keep up the effydral. She gave her marbocyl and flunixin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Got vet out. Calf has a temperature. Lungs ok. Injected her in the eye. Slight scour. Keep up the effydral. She gave her marbocyl and flunixin

Be careful there’s allot of Crypto about

Ye she mentioned that too. She's not dehydrated and piddled 3 times while vet was there. The effydral will help there too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Heard that from a few people, luckily the weather is decent enough to let animals out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I wonder what caused that? In a way, you were lucky he came backwards. You would have being trying to turn him if you saw the front legs upside down.

I think nature throws strange things every now and then. If its beneficial for survival, then that mutation carries on in the species. Longer legs being able to reach higher branches etc.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

And we're off, first one this evening, calved herself, gave a small bit of help to suck but she would have managed fine without, grand heifer calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Lost a huge lim bull calf this morning. Just got to her too late. I was sure she wouldn’t calve until at least tonight. Very disappointed with myself if I’d been a bit earlier I think we’d have saved him and he’d be a super calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Have cow here that keeps laying flat out on her side as if trying to relieve pain. Started it day or two before she calved (knew myself it wasnt calving pains - i checked her and vet checked her)
    she has since calved a week and a half is back doing same again the past few days. Shes eating and seems ok when up and about but once she sits down you'll see her laying down flat on her side.
    Had vet out twice - before and after she calved (she induced cow) and treated cow for different things on both occasions but i'd be interested to hear your opinions on what it might be or if anyone has seen this before.
    I just dont like the way she keeps going on the way she is.
    Shewas treated for colic and calcium deficiency.

How are her feet?

whelan2 wrote: »
    How are her feet?

Feet are fine but did notice twice when she seemed to be in more pain with this she'd go mad stiff and lame on her feet and then boom back to normal again. Shes outside now - just keeping an eye on her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Schmallenberg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

RD10 wrote: »
    Have cow here that keeps laying flat out on her side as if trying to relieve pain. Started it day or two before she calved (knew myself it wasnt calving pains - i checked her and vet checked her)
    she has since calved a week and a half is back doing same again the past few days. Shes eating and seems ok when up and about but once she sits down you'll see her laying down flat on her side.
    Had vet out twice - before and after she calved (she induced cow) and treated cow for different things on both occasions but i'd be interested to hear your opinions on what it might be or if anyone has seen this before.

has she ingested wire?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Observe her urinating.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Schmallenberg?

There's seems to be very little mention of this anymore, is it still about or have cattle built up immunity to it?

Schmallenberg?

Where's our resident Vet.. He's staying very quiet :D

greysides wrote: »
    Observe her urinating.

Cheers. What should i be looking out for?

• Advertisement

has she ingested wire?

She's been inside fir the winter, so dont think any chance of it being that. No wire in pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

She's been inside fir the winter, so dont think any chance of it being that. No wire in pens.

Bits of wire can end up in silage and get eaten, not saying it's happened here but it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭High bike

Blood in the urine maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Where's our resident Vet.. He's staying very quiet :D

Ah hes off gathering up the hamsters. They must have gotten out again

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah hes off gathering up the hamsters. They must have gotten out again

Could be busy either? It is spring time , busy time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Schmallenberg?

Possibly, but there has always been weird one-offs due to genetics so it's hard to know.

Here's one I came across recently. It was the third in the herd in a short time. The hind hooves were over-extended and sticking out, and contaminated, so I cut them off before doing the caesarean. I'd be reasonably sure it was due to Schmallenberg. It presented as seen- all legs together. Note shortened low jaw.

547530.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Bad smell, discolouration (cloudy, bloody), frequency.

It's just a guess but a kidney infection could be causing back pain.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Nice strong heifercalf there an hour ago. Cow did all in about an hour and ten mins later when I went down and moved all into a new pen I turned around and could hear my favourite sound, the lips smacking! Delighted

After losing a grand 3 week old calf, seen him yesterday at 3 o clock and he stood and stretched with no obvious ailments. Was sitting down with his head tucked in like he was sleeping when I found him this morning. Annoyed now that I must have missed something yesterday, dehorned him 3 days ago and maybe it brought on meningitis or something. Sickened either way anyway. Had a springer on her back as well this morning. Lucky to get her in time.

• Advertisement

After losing a grand 3 week old calf, seen him yesterday at 3 o clock and he stood and stretched with no obvious ailments. Was sitting down with his head tucked in like he was sleeping when I found him this morning. Annoyed now that I must have missed something yesterday, dehorned him 3 days ago and maybe it brought on meningitis or something. Sickened either way anyway. Had a springer on her back as well this morning. Lucky to get her in time.

Have a calf here that got a bad dose few weeks back with that cold weather and has been very off form past few days again.
    Got him stronger antibiotics/anti inflammatory again. Vet diagnosed him with that ol middle ear infection aswell.
    Had mentioned it perhaps leading to meningitis if not treated properly and let go on.
    Treating its mother for bad mastitis in one quarter at the same time. Come out this morning to discover she now has it in another quarter. Never a dull moment.
    Am finding this year has been non stop with different things going wrong.

Advertisement