Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

RobinBanks wrote: »
    a great bull. I have a super cow here from him.

Are they good to calve? What would you out on her? Have a nice heifers from last year think I'll keep her

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Are they good to calve? What would you out on her? Have a nice heifers from last year think I'll keep her

It depends on the type of them, whether they're good square R grade types or shapey U grade types. You have to be careful with them, putting Charolais bulls on them can be very troublesome from what ive seen.
    They cross very well with Lim bulls i think.
    Have seen some lovely Saler calves off Blue cross heifers lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭High bike

RobinBanks wrote: »
    a great bull. I have a super cow here from him.
    Have a few heifers off him from last year of dairy cows are they milky off him.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

I have a smasher saler heifer beguin out of a dbz dam.

High bike wrote: »
    Have a few heifers off him from last year of dairy cows are they milky off him.?

Yes the couple I had were milky

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    I have a smasher saler heifer beguin out of a dbz dam.
    Mine arent over big so would prob go with a Saler too first time anyway

High bike wrote: »
    Mine arent over big so would prob go with a Saler too first time anyway

My one isn't over muscle but really like how she has come on since weanling with little or no meal

A dbz bull call 10 days over, knuckle caught, straightened and big pull. Cow was down for a while but up now, calf making a few goes to stand but is unable. Have him propper up but is very thrown down after he tries to stand. Have couple ltrs gone into him.
    2 after a shot for pain off vet.
    Cow calved a hefier off same bull last year 4 days shorter. Fingers crossed.
    This was a hard one one all involves.

Hes up and at it today

Hes up and at it today
    nice calf and nicely marked too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

He's at 9% cd, or was on the old system, but your cows would put a lot more onto the calf than mine would. Lovely pair there. Had a bull landed 3 days early here while ago off a DGY cow. Cows cleaned and calf sucking mad

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    He's at 9% cd, or was on the old system, but your cows would put a lot more onto the calf than mine would. Lovely pair there. Had a bull landed 3 days early here while ago off a DGY cow. Cows cleaned and calf sucking mad

7.6 according to last years report. I've bb5223 at about 10% on 2 big framed cows , not so sure I'll let them go too many days over after that, one of them calves Rws last year with bit of pull. Big framed animal like this lad.

Lads, have a calf here, that hasn't stood or sucked since he was born on Sunday , I've been tubing him with milk, thought he'd die but still hanging on, breathing heavy, like fluid in lungs but was born on slats so might be pneumonia, anything ye recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Has a vet seen him? That's where i'd be starting if not.

Maybe the cow was claving too long and his lungs aren't right.
    Has he a high temperature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Lads, have a calf here, that hasn't stood or sucked since he was born on Sunday , I've been tubing him with milk, thought he'd die but still hanging on, breathing heavy, like fluid in lungs but was born on slats so might be pneumonia, anything ye recommend?

Pneumonia wouldn't have hit him that quick, as tanko says there could be fluid in the lungs but I'd have thought it would be absorbed in by now. Was the calf jacked or had a hard pull, it's possible he could have broken or cracked ribs if it was a severe pull.
    Keep him dry and warm, what ever chance he has

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Could have a problem with his heart too. Had one few years ago, she came right after a few injections but was lucky to. Vet didn’t have much confidence

Pneumonia wouldn't have hit him that quick, as tanko says there could be fluid in the lungs but I'd have thought it would be absorbed in by now. Was the calf jacked or had a hard pull, it's possible he could have broken or cracked ribs if it was a severe pull.
    Keep him dry and warm, what ever chance he has

I think the mad b**ch stood on her in the melee, there's definitely something wrong with a back leg, I'll get the vet tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

You would wonder at times, we had one like that last year, tried resuscitating him. Then saw a birth like it on a UK TV farming programme, they kept working on him for ages and amazingly got him going.

I bought a calf resuscitator this year - has anyone here experience of using one.

It is amazing how these calves can be brought back from the edge.
    Last year we had the vet out to calve a heifer who had a very big lim calf in her. It really should have been a c.section. After a brutal pull the calf landed lifeless. Myself and my mother started at him,rubbing his chest, working his front legs,cold water in ears and stalks of straw up the nose. Vet examined him after a minute or so and said he was gone! We kept going and calf shook his head about 2 or 3 minutes later and never looked back. Was wrecked after it but it was a huge sense of achievement to save him. I think even the vey learned a lesson that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

One of the Matrix (SH4209) dairy cross heifers that I bought in as a suck calf produced a nice Hussar (SH4319) heifer calf on Sunday.
    First pic is the cow and calf. Second pic is the cow when she was a calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The second pic didn't upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It is amazing how these calves can be brought back from the edge.
    Last year we had the vet out to calve a heifer who had a very big lim calf in her. It really should have been a c.section. After a brutal pull the calf landed lifeless. Myself and my mother started at him,rubbing his chest, working his front legs,cold water in ears and stalks of straw up the nose. Vet examined him after a minute or so and said he was gone! We kept going and calf shook his head about 2 or 3 minutes later and never looked back. Was wrecked after it but it was a huge sense of achievement to save him. I think even the vey learned a lesson that night!

I was reading recently, have the front legs tucked under them, to prop up the chest and allow the lungs expand and breathe in, as it is more difficult for them if they are laying on their side.

• Advertisement

I was reading recently, have the front legs tucked under them, to prop up the chest and allow the lungs expand and breathe in, as it is more difficult for them if they are laying on their side.

Back legs to each side too. Helps hold them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,233 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was someone saying on here a cloudy eye in a calf is a sign of a deficiency?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

whelan2 wrote: »

I don't know, but I have heard of a newborn or days old calf getting a Vit B injection to prevent blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

whelan2 wrote: »

I thought it was Vit A they got.

Does it have any other symptoms - does it react to a hand across the eyes?

I thought it was Vit A they got.

Does it have any other symptoms - does it react to a hand across the eyes?

Its a suckler calf. The same cow's calf died at 2 months last year. It's a week old. Is doing ok. A bit of a scour yesterday and the day before gave it effydral and multimin. One eye is cloudy put opticlox in it too

Scour - Have you got the results back yet of the BVD?
    Might be something congenital. The fact that the calf last year died young would make me feel the need to cull the cow if you don't get a satisfactory diagnosis from the vet - what have they said on the matter?

https://www.fginsight.com/news/news/bvd-zero-calves-observation-can-give-vital-clues-bvd-is-in-a-herd-140314-1116

Possible eye defects in BVD exposed calves:
    • Microphthalmia – literally translates as ‘small eye’ and can affect one of both eyes
    • Cataracts – eyes look cloudy and lead to blindness
    • Retinal dysplasia – again capable of affecting one or both eyes, the calf will have impaired sight and a non-functioning retina in the eye and will most likely be blind
    • Retinal detachment – calves are born with impaired sight and may go on to develop full blindness in either one or both eyes

Vet was out with the calf from last year a few times and couldn't figure what was wrong. Bvd sample sent on monday. Pedigree Angus calf

It would have to be the ped one :( Is she a 2nd calver - or has she previously reared a calf?
    Hopefully it pulls through - do the cows get precalver minerals?

It would have to be the ped one :( Is she a 2nd calver - or has she previously reared a calf?
    Hopefully it pulls through - do the cows get precalver minerals?

This is her 3rd calf a heifer in 2019 that was fine. A bull last March that died st 2 months and then this calf. I remember last year when the vet first visited the calf was riddled with lice. It had been outside since birth, never saw a young calf with so many on it. Vet said lice attack a weak animal . Ye they got a good do with minerals and on good silage

• Advertisement

How is he since?
    My fella is similar from Sunday but is up and sucks away, breathing heavy and after feeding is sweating. No temp. He is struggling with the knuckle that was stopping him calving. The pull after didn't help. He is lively but o don't like the breathing a sweating.vet gave me a few shots for him but I'll have to get him out to see for himself.

Advertisement