Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poppy

Comments

This post has been deleted.

in some instances maybe, but I wold guess the majority joined for the same reason young people all over the world join up. A sense of duty, a sense of adenture, to prove themselves etc etc.
    Wheety wrote: »
    And what will you do? Send a strongly worded letter?

no, I'm going to rage against them (Whatever that means), despite the fact that most have been dead for a very long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Patww79 wrote: »
    Their passports should instantly be ripped to shreds as soon as they sign up. The actual Irish ones I mean.

My dad grew up in the UK and had to serve in Cyprus in the late 50s, due to national service - yet he is a proud Irishman.

Less of the judgement eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I never get the idea of Irish people wearing a poppy,
    Yes Irish people died in the two wars  but why not just wear a shamrock to remember them
    The poppy stand for all Brits lost at war including those in Ireland and India , Why would an Irish person want to wear that symbol its stupid ,
    Wear a shamrock to remember the Irish men who died if you must ,
    Or like myself don't wear anything  .
    There is never a right side in war ,both sides have men fighting who have no choice and would prefer to be at home with there family's, If you want to remember those who died remember the men from both sides,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Aegir wrote: »
    in some instances maybe, but I wold guess the majority joined for the same reason young people all over the world join up. A sense of duty, a sense of adenture, to prove themselves etc etc.

A sense of duty to a foreign government? Very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭judestynes

I think you're very much clutching at straws.

Firstly a family can't be evicted from "their" home, only from someone elses.

Secondly, penneys employing dubious labour in Bangladesh is not really on a par with fire bombing Dresden, and I think you know that full well!

Your confusing a house with a home there dude and bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart. Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

KaneToad wrote: »
    To me it represents unicorns jumping through rainbows and sugarplum fairies dancing on icicles.
    I was on a trip like that once.
    Far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

judestynes wrote: »
    Your confusing a house with a home there dude

Either way - if it's yours you can't be evicted from it. If it's not yours, it's not yours.
    bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart.

At the upper ends of all armies you'll find tyrannical lunatics. Don't kid yourself that the british or American armies were or are run by gentlemen intent on protecting freedom at all costs.

History is also largely written by the victors.

Hitler is the epitome of evil because he killed 6 million jews and plunged the world into war (no argument there, he was clearly a despotic nut job)
    Churchill is the brave hero who stood up to him and saved the world (Eh, what about the 3 million Bengals he starved - shhh don't mention them he was a brave hero!)
    Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again

Even if the big shoes fit?

Anyway back on topic - Poppies - no, not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Listening to some Fine Gael senator or something on newstalk this morning (I was still half asleep and didn't catch his name!) Anyway his point was, yes by all means we should remember "the fallen" but we should remember them by raging against the shower of bastards who sent them to their deaths, not but sentimentalising it with a poxy paper flower.

I agree with him - the whole gushing over the poppy you see these days is nothing short of disgusting. I just don't get the romanticising of war.

I'm sorry Britain, you didn't have a "glorious empire" - you raped and plundered half the world. Your history isn't anything to be proud of, quite the opposite in fact. The world doesn't look up to you with awe and respect - you are in fact a right shower of cúnts!

So, eh, no poppy for me thanks:D (unless you mean that blondie one above, there's always an exception!)

Tbh 100 yrs on from the Empire I'm glad they influenced the world. Their inventions, innovations, medicines, infrastructure, law, sports, literature, language.

It's just incredible to me how a rain sodden damp rock in the north Atlantic were so advanced.

A sense of duty to a foreign government? Very strange.

it wasn't a foreign government in 1914 and to many, it wasn't in 1939 either. A sense of duty can also go beyond a duty to a government, it can mean a sense of duty to a cause, like the thousands from all over europe who went and fought for the Republicans in their fight against Franco's army, or those that joined to fight the evils of the Nazis.

• Advertisement

it wasn't a foreign government in 1914 and to many, it wasn't in 1939 either. A sense of duty can also go beyond a duty to a government, it can mean a sense of duty to a cause, like the thousands from all over europe who went and fought for the Republicans in their fight against Franco's army, or those that joined to fight the evils of the Nazis.

But we were talking about current British army recruits from Ireland, and whether their choice to join the British army was any different to working for a foreign company.

I totally agree with you that a sense of duty can cover the examples you mentioned. Neither of your examples involved a direct conflict with Ireland whereby those British soldiers from Ireland would be forced to choose between their country and their obligations as a British soldier, so it's not relevant to this particular question.

But we were talking about current British army recruits from Ireland, and whether their choice to join the British army was any different to working for a foreign company.

I totally agree with you that a sense of duty can cover the examples you mentioned. Neither of your examples involved a direct conflict with Ireland whereby those British soldiers from Ireland would be forced to choose between their country and their obligations as a British soldier, so it's not relevant to this particular question.

in the highly unlikely event that the British and Irish went to war, then I would expect them to leave and fight for their country, But lets face it, it is never going to happen, certainly not in our lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Good. It's disgusting how this country has treated it's WWI dead. It's improved over the last few years but still a lot to do.

These were brave Irish men, who fought for what they thought was right and they fought for their country via an external conflict.

They deserve to be remembered.

in the highly unlikely event that the British and Irish went to war, then I would expect them to leave and fight for their country, But lets face it, it is never going to happen, certainly not in our lifetime.

From the start, I posted that it was highly unlikely.

I wonder how easy do you think is it for a serving member of the British army (or any army for that matter) on the eve of battle to suddenly announce "Oh, sorry Sir, I can't fight in your war because I'm actually going to join the other side and fight against ye."

I wonder how easy do you think is it for a serving member of the British army (or any army for that matter) on the eve of battle to suddenly announce "Oh, sorry Sir, I can't fight in your war because I'm actually going to join the other side and fight against ye."

It never works like that though does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The British army has covered up the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy, those monsters are still free and can actually benefit from the Poppy Appeal. In these circumstances no one should support it. It is worthy to remember Irish men who got killed in WW1 but the poppy is not how it should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The British army has covered up the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy, those monsters are still free and can actually benefit from the Poppy Appeal. In these circumstances no one should support it. It is worthy to remember Irish men who got killed in WW1 but the poppy is not how it should be done.

Does any of the Poppy money go to memorials for Irish ww1 war dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Churchill was a bigoted,racist s.cumbag so whatever he had to spout is irrelevent

Does any of the Poppy money go to memorials for Irish ww1 war dead?

The Shamrock poppy is the product of the Irish branch of the legion.

Any funds generated by that poppy stays in Ireland and goes towards the up keep of WWI memorials in the country.

I'm no real fan of the traditional poppy, much for the reasons you have outlined, but I don't see anything wrong with wearing a Shamrock poppy to honor our WWI dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ask poppy sellers if they can guarantee the money won’t go to any of the killers at Ballymurphy or Derry, or indeed to anyone who killed Irish civilians during the Troubles. It’s a fair and very important question.

• Advertisement

Ask poppy sellers if they can guarantee the money won’t go to any of the killers at Ballymurphy or Derry, or indeed to anyone who killed Irish civilians during the Troubles. It’s a fair and very important question.

Absolutely that is and I fully agree with you.

My understanding is that the money generated by the Shamrock poppy stays in Ireland and towards the maintenance of WWI memorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

....as well as Aden, Borneo, mayalasia, cyprus, palestine, kuwait, Iraq, eritrea, kenya, dutch east indies, india, burma, oman.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Tbh 100 yrs on from the Empire I'm glad they influenced the world. Their inventions, innovations, medicines, infrastructure, law, sports, literature, language.

It's just incredible to me how a rain sodden damp rock in the north Atlantic were so advanced.

An interesting theory that I read before was that their geography was responsible for such.
    Their isolation allowed for them to prosper in a way that wasn't possible in other places on the continent as it was much harder to conquer. This coupled with relatively high natural resources enabled their population to engage in activities that promoted advancement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Good. It's disgusting how this country has treated it's WWI dead. It's improved over the last few years but still a lot to do.

These were brave Irish men, who fought for what they thought was right and they fought for their country via an external conflict.

They deserve to be remembered.

The Poppy is the only way of remembering them?

It's almost as if the flimsy red piece of material on your jacket or a day in November is the only time of the year that people stop to remember "hey my family member died in a war".
    FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And if Brexit causes uproar in the North, will they happily go in to suppress/oppress their fellow Irishmen and women??

And if Brexit causes uproar in the North, will they happily go in to suppress/oppress their fellow Irishmen and women??

As they did before. Those that served in the British army in the north should never be forgiven, and should certainly not be commemorated.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Poppy is the only way of remembering them?

It's almost as if folk thing the red piece of material on you jacket or a day in November is the only time of the year that people stop to remember "hey my family member died in a war".
    FFS

Well I'm only really concerned about the Irish men who died in WWI, as I am an Irish man, so yeah, wearing a Shamrock poppy is one of the ways. The French,Canadians, Americans and Australians I'm sure have their ways

Attending war memorials during the year is another but mostly the education in our secondary schools and later primary school years of the Irish men who fought in WWI is the best way to honor those who died in that conflict from these shores instead of just brushing it under the carpet.

As they did before. Those that served in the British army in the north should never be forgiven, and should certainly not be commemorated.

my understanding is that they didn't. Any Irishman in the British Army was excused form service "Over the water".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

My dad grew up in the UK and had to serve in Cyprus in the late 50s, due to national service - yet he is a proud Irishman.

Less of the judgement eh ?

those were different times, he had no choice. those joining the BA from ireland now most certainly do have a choice, so are not comparible to your dad who was forced to serve.

yes, most certainly britain did brings us infrastructure among many other things for which we can be glad. however it does not get them off the many many crimes britain commited.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

my understanding is that they didn't. Any Irishman in the British Army was excused form service "Over the water".

I didn't know this was the case. So I googled it.

Nothing to definitively answer the question, but I did find an article from an Irish born soldier who certainly served in the British army in the north:

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/irish-solider-in-british-army-2402268-Oct2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

FTA69 wrote: »
    I wish people would shut up about WW1 and WW2, that’s not what the poppy commemorates.

It’s a Legion symbol that commemorates ALL soldiers in ALL conflicts and is accompanied by a giant love-in for the British armed forces. Fact.

It’s like every year people stick their fingers in their ears and start shouting la la la.

I think we should commemorate the Irish war dead, but we should have our own symbol and not latch onto a British one with loads of baggage about their colonial conflicts.

We do, it's called the Easter Lily, and you get the same fúckwittery about that aswell

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Your understanding is incorrect. I worked with a guy for a few months from Coolock who had done tours up North with the Brits, he had no say in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Reati

God has it been a year already since the last Red poppy thead? Time is flying...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, we dont have the Good Friday thread anymore, so we gotta make this a good one!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The Shamrock poppy is the product of the Irish branch of the legion.

Any funds generated by that poppy stays in Ireland and goes towards the up keep of WWI memorials in the country.

CWGC maintains memorials and graveyards as far as is practically possible.
    The poppy or shamrock poppy is produced by the Royal British Legion for ex military support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Your confusing a house with a home there dude and bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart. Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again

I don't understand why any Irish person would want to wear a poppy to commemorate the people who done just this in recent history leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Reati wrote: »
    God has it been a year already since the last Red poppy thead? Time is flying...
    Next.
    Does the Christmas shopping start earlier every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I don't understand why any Irish person would want to wear a poppy to commemorate the people who done just this in recent history leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians.

Not that I entirely disagree with the sentiment but you do know it was politicians responsible for this no?

Soldiers don't get to agree with what they are fighting for or where they are doing it, they get to go where they're told to go and do what they're told to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Reati

Edgware wrote: »
    Next.

Yes? Don't get the relevance though. In some years. Depends on the mood of the shopper on the high Street. Market research is usually done to determine the date the season Starts.

The poppy offence/defence thread normally starts around the same time each year here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

wexie wrote: »
    Not that I entirely disagree with the sentiment but you do know it was politicians responsible for this no?

Soldiers don't get to agree with what they are fighting for or where they are doing it, they get to go where they're told to go and do what they're told to do.

Indeed but it is not the politicians out killing innocents its soldiers. I see no difference between the isis suicide bomber blowing himself up and taking innocent people with him or the bomber pilot who dropped his load on a wedding party. Both are happy to kill innocent men women and children because someone has told them that you should go over there and kill those people because the are a threat to your way of life and off they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Edgware wrote: »
    Next.

Seems to. This "black friday" thing seems to have crossed the atlantic now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Graces7 wrote: »
    27,000 Irish men served in WW2. Both those living in the UK and Irish here.

Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over

Many of these Irish gave their lives in the war for freedom from oppression.

Time and past time to give world wide thanks for our freedom together

Britain fought two world wars to preserve their empire.

To preserve their occupation of foreign lands.

To preserve their concentration camps.

To preserve their white supremacist regimes.

To preserve their right to plunder foreign lands.

To preserve their right to commit genocide.

Read The Road To Wigan Pier to see how much the ordinary people in Britain were despised by the ruling class.

Read about Britain's occupation of Kenya in the 1950s and then tell me Britain was fighting for freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no issue with supporting those who fought in both world wars, but there's no way I'm going to ever be ok with the murdering bastards who gunned down innocent, unarmed civilians on Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I tend to find the charts poppy most of the time. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no issue with supporting those who fought in both world wars, but there's no way I'm going to ever be ok with the murdering bastards who gunned down innocent, unarmed civilians on Bloody Sunday.

Why would you support the British terrorists who fought to supress millions across the globe?

The British establishment doesn't give a toss about anyone's freedom or human rights. It's just a convenient drum to beat when it suits them.

Look at their love for the beheaders of Saudi Arabia (which they created). Yet they get all uppity when ISIS chops someone's head off.

Look at their role in the war on Yemen.

Hypocritical scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Listening to some Fine Gael senator or something on newstalk this morning (I was still half asleep and didn't catch his name!) Anyway his point was, yes by all means we should remember "the fallen" but we should remember them by raging against the shower of bastards who sent them to their deaths, not but sentimentalising it with a poxy paper flower.

I agree with him - the whole gushing over the poppy you see these days is nothing short of disgusting. I just don't get the romanticising of war.

I'm sorry Britain, you didn't have a "glorious empire" - you raped and plundered half the world. Your history isn't anything to be proud of, quite the opposite in fact. The world doesn't look up to you with awe and respect - you are in fact a right shower of cúnts!

So, eh, no poppy for me thanks:D (unless you mean that blondie one above, there's always an exception!)

You really were half asleep.

It was Eamonn McCann espousing the above position & was quite at odds with the other contributor, FG Senator Neill Richmond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It never works like that though does it?

It does actually.

Company Sgt.Maj Martin Doyle VC & MM served with the Dublin Fusiliers and the Royal Munster Fusiliers during WWI.

After the war he returned home to Ireland the highest decorated soldier in the British army having been awarded the Victoria Cross and the Military Medal (for gallantry) and joined the IRA, he fought against his former comrades in the British army during our civil war.

After the civil war Coy Sgt.Maj Doyle changed sides once again and joined the national army to fight against his former comrades in the IRA.

He's buried in Grangegorman Military Cemetery (Blackhorse Ave. Dublin 7).

As a serving soldier I don't wear a poppy, but I've donated to the appeal because it helps a lot of Irish families during their hardest times.. But besides that I'd also defend another Irish persons wish to donate to the poppy appeal by wearing a poppy.

There's a lot of 'ol sh*te posted in this thread which I can't be arsed replying to but if people here REALLY wanted to donate to a similar Irish charity then there's the Fushsia Appeal 'bet yiz didn't know about that one eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Of course there'll be debate. We'd debate 2 flies here on Ah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

As did the French when they were not surrendering to someone. If fact the French were and still are more imperialistic than Britain.

And the French were more barbaric than Britain ever was. France was still importing slaves into the Americas long after every other country had stopped the slave trade.

Ex British colonies are mainly civilised and developed or developing.

Ex French colonies are usually the most undeveloped and are riddled with poverty, civil wars etc.

But hey, don't let history get in the way of an anti-British rant!

• Advertisement
Advertisement