Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It took 200,000 years for the human population to reach 1 Billion people.

It took just 200 years to reach 7 Billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Another 30yrs and it's 10bn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Maybe that lad in the Matrix film all those years ago was right - humans are like a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maybe that lad in the Matrix film all those years ago was right - humans are like a virus.

As Bill Hicks described the human race, a virus with shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Head into the link below and scroll down to see some species and how deep they're found. And continue right down to the deepest parts of the oceans.

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Head into the link below and scroll down to see some species and how deep they're found. And continue right down to the deepest parts of the oceans.

That's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Just showed this to my son, brilliant find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

As Bill Hicks described the human race, a virus with shoes.
    PrincePhilip remarked (in 1988): "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation". Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

PrincePhilip remarked (in 1988): "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation". Charming.

He could probably do something about inbreeding when he was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

You may not know that in the 16th century the English attempted to outlaw the typical Irish hairstyle.
    In 1517 Laurent Vital described this distinctive Irish hair style thus: ‘for they (Irish men) were shorn and shaved one palm above the ears, so that only the tops of their heads were covered with hair. But on the forehead they leave about a palm of hair to grow down to their eyebrows like a tuft of hair which one leaves hanging on horses between the two eyes’[iii].

Seen as a particularly Irish haircut it was despised by the English establishment and attempts were made to outlaw it in 1537[iv] and again in the 1570s[v]. However, it remained persistently popular and appears to have been worn as badge of honour amongst Irish kerns (soldiers).

It hasn’t gone away you know.

Link: http://irisharchaeology.ie/2013/08/16th-century-irish-hipsters/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You may not know that in the 16th century the English attempted to outlaw the typical Irish hairstyle.

It hasn’t gone away you know.

Link: http://irisharchaeology.ie/2013/08/16th-century-irish-hipsters/

To be fair it is a terrible haircut and for once i'm on the side of the english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

He's hardly going to come back as the same thing as this time now is he:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Planning your holidays? This map shows the hottest, coldest, wettest and driest months of the year worldwide.

ELgKea7XkAIC7Zn?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Grrr to maps with the seasons marked incorrectly! :)

Ireland is the only country in the world where we base seasons on the "grand stretch" - the equinox/solstice marks the middle of the seasons, not the change.

If you rank all the countries in the world by their highest recorded temperature, Ireland is second last, behind Iceland. (This assumes Scotland is in the UK, and Greenland/the Faroes are in Denmark)

Something I learned only recently was that mammals of the sea walked on the land and evolved into sea creatures of many many years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Something I learned only recently was that mammals of the sea walked on the land and evolved into sea creatures of many many years.

It's true. The ancestors of cetaceans for instance were hoofed animals no bigger than a dog.

Mad to think they went from that to a blue whale in only a few million years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the space between the earth and the moon you could line up and fit all of the other planets of the solar system, with a few thousand kilometres to spare.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Originally, mistletoe was revered by the Druids for it's ability to flower in winter, and it was thought to ward off evil spirits so it was held over the heads of loved ones and of small children to quell the evil antics and not as a invitation for a snog.

Also nog - as in eggnog - came from a newspaper misprint or mispelling of the word 'grog', a word used to describe rum-based drinks. Not to be confused with grok, which describes how people optimistically perceive their cognitive abilities after enough grog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Candie wrote: »
    Also nog - as in eggnog - came from a newspaper misprint or mispelling of the word 'grog', a word used to describe rum-based drinks. Not to be confused with grok, which describes how people optimistically perceive their cognitive abilities after enough grog.
    What's your source on that one? https://www.etymonline.com/word/nog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sticking with alcohol, doesn’t the term Dutch courage come from the use of Dutch gin by soldiers before battle to calm them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Probably worth noting:

The nomination was withdrawn 1 February 1939 by nominator E.G.C. Brandt, an anti-fascist member of the Swedish parliament who never intended his submission to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Still, it was a bit silly making the nomination in the first place.

The hypodermic syringe was developed in the 1840's by Dr Francis Rynd who worked in the Meath Hospital.
    Rynd hoped that if he could inject a sedative into the bloodstream of the patient, their pain would be relieved much quicker than if they had taken drugs orally. He was ultimately unsuccessful in finding a cure. However his efforts were not in vain, or rather they were ‘in vein’, because along the way, he invented a hollow needle which he used to put the drugs into the patient’s bloodstreams. It was in 1844 that he first used a drip needle that could inject drugs directly into the vein.

A few years later a Scottish doctor, Alexander Wood was acclaimed for his own role in the development of the hypodermic syringe. Many people thought it was actually Wood’s invention.

Dr Rynd was the first to use the equipment. However, Dr Rynd’s legacy was secure thanks to historical documents including an article he wrote in the Dublin Medical Press. In it, he documented how he had injected fluids into a patient with a hypodermic syringe. It was published in 1845, 10 years before Wood’s article about his own use of hypodermic syringes was published in the Edinburgh Medical and Surgical Journal

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Maastricht, the most southerly city in the Netherlands, is further south than Calais in France.

As the crow flies, Hamburg in Germany is closer to Milan, Italy than John O Groats in Scotland is to Plymouth in England.

Vienna in Austria is over 150km further east than Prague, Czechia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Both Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are OLDER than John Major, whose term as PM ended in 1997.

I find that ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Both Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are OLDER than John Major, whose term as PM ended in 1997.

I find that ludicrous.

That's mad. They're both older than George W Bush and Bill Clinton as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Ipso wrote: »
    Sticking with alcohol, doesn’t the term Dutch courage come from the use of Dutch gin by soldiers before battle to calm them?

I think many of the English phrases including "Dutch" stem from the rivalry between England and Holland over trading rights, empire building etc. way back when, e.g. "going Dutch", "Dutch auction", "Dutch oven" and so on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

One phrase along those lines is the French Disease, a shorthand for syphilis, which the English named after the French because (a) they reckoned French sailors brought it to England and (b) they just didn't like the French.

So in return, the French nicknamed the disease mal des anglais, the English disease. A fine mediaeval example of "I know you are, but what am I?" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/4/E715

Over the counter analgesics like Ibuprofen affect men's testicles and testosterone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The hypodermic syringe was developed in the 1840's by Dr Francis Rynd who worked in the Meath Hospital.
    ....However his efforts were not in vain, or rather they were ‘in vein’......

Beautiful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Something Christmassy. ;)

Despite some other claims it looks like electric Xmas tree lights were lit for the first time by Mr. Edward H. Johnson, President of the Edison Company for Electric Lighting, in 1882.

Source.

Shortly afterwards Edison decided to turn that idea into money. And, at the beginning, the whole thing wasn't cheap (approx 2 thousand dollars per set in today's money), so company also offered Xmas Tree lights for rent. :D

497743.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I was watching a program last night. Joseph Swan created small lightbulbs for a production of Iolanthe for the fairy costumes. Small lights became known as fairy lights, and that's why your Christmas tree lights are called fairy lights.

Seeing as we're on lights, how many of you know that the oldest burning lightbulb in history is 117 years old, and has it's own webcam.

Now compare and contrast with new smart bulbs, especially the reset function. :eek:

Sometimes too much technology is just too much. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Seeing as we're on lights, how many of you know that the oldest burning lightbulb in history is 117 years old, and has it's own webcam.

Now compare and contrast with new smart bulbs, especially the reset function. :eek:

Sometimes too much technology is just too much. :p

I watched that video and nearly lost my mind. Why on Earth do they make it that way? How is any of this more convenient than a light switch? How did they get to start referring to all of these internet of things contraptions as "smart"?

That put years on me.

I watched that video and nearly lost my mind.

That's because you were watching the video wrong. You have to watch it for 8 seconds, stop for 5 seconds, watch for 8 seconds, stop for 2 seconds, watch for 8 seconds, stop for 2 seconds. The final step is to watch until the end.

Then wonder what you're doing with your life. ;)
    Why on Earth do they make it that way? How is any of this more convenient than a light switch? How did they get to start referring to all of these internet of things contraptions as "smart"?

I agree, the more I see of these smart devices the less I want to see of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I watched that video and nearly lost my mind. Why on Earth do they make it that way? How is any of this more convenient than a light switch? How did they get to start referring to all of these internet of things contraptions as "smart"?.
    I agree, the more I see of these smart devices the less I want to see of them.
    Many of them seem to be expensive solutions looking for a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I watched that video and nearly lost my mind. Why on Earth do they make it that way? How is any of this more convenient than a light switch? How did they get to start referring to all of these internet of things contraptions as "smart"?
    Electronics manufacturers saw the market for PCs saturate, but smartphones and laptops took up the slack. Now those markets are mature too, so the only way to grow is to find new products to put electronics in. Some of it may be useful, some of it may facilitate an Orwellian dystopia, but all of that is secondary to the revenue growth of Intel and co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The last person to die of Smallpox was a 40yo British woman, Janet Parker, who contracted the disease while at work in a medical lab in Birmingham, England.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2019/11/the-last-victim-of-smallpox.html

The program to eradicate smallpox was so successful that only two examples of the virus exist today. Both are stored in laboratories, one in the U.S. (in the Centre For Disease Control in Atlanta, I think) and the other in Russia.

The toilets in the OdySea Aquarium in Scotsdale, Arizona have a view out into the aquarium itself.

EMICbdiU0AArjsN?format=jpg&name=small

OdySeaAquariumbathroom_1510860061498_11720561_ver1.0-1000x480.png

Is that where the idea for this came from? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The US no longer has a free trade deal with Wakanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It took the creator of the Rubik’s Cube, Erno Rubik, one month to solve the cube after he created it; as of June 2018 the world record is 4.22 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

554923.jpg

mzungu wrote: »
    It took the creator of the Rubik’s Cube, Erno Rubik, one month to solve the cube after he created it; as of June 2018 the world record is 4.22 seconds.

There's a machine that can do it quicker, it's current record is 0.38sec

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

554804.jpg

Luxembourg is about the size of Roscommon or Limerick, but you can fit another 7 countries inside it's borders at the same time.

Luxembourg-Microstate.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^ they're taking liberties with the borders there.

Im in thailand, so heres some facts:
    Its the only country in SE asia not to be colonised by a european power, although it gave serious trade concessions to the french and the brits.
    The new king took over from his dad last year after he ruled for 60+ years and the son grieved for 3. Thai royalty are revered as semi-deities and are protected by harsh leses-majeste laws to disallow any critical remark against them. The current king divorced his wife by saying she cheated on him, she could not counter it as it would have broken the law and she would go to jail.
    He also promoted his dog to a high ranking air force position.

The police are probably on their way for me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement