Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

New Home wrote: »
    D'you know, I was thinking about that one, too. But then I remembered, "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?" (this was before the advent of humankind, IIRC, and the dinosaurs don't count, for the purposes of this post). :pac:
    Toba and Thera weren't though. :p IIRC there was also a big one in Indonesia in the 19th century, larger than Krakatoa on the holy sweet Jesus Ted, that's a big one vulcanism scale. Toba was truly massive though. 30 times the scale of Krakatoa.

Another "factoid" sometimes referred is that before Pompeii Romans didn't have a word for "volcano". Untrue, though oddly appealing an idea. While they didn't have a single word, they did have descriptors for them. Along the lines of mountains that burned, agitated mountains and the like.

The first machine to measure earthquakes was invented in China around 2000 years ago. It could measure the strength and direction of the tremors. This was considered important as quakes were seen as signs from the gods and used for divination.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wasn't Vulcanus both the name of a volcano (now dormant), and the name of the god of fire and metallurgy? I think it was of Etruscan origin, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Wibbs wrote: »
    Toba and Thera weren't though. :p IIRC there was also a big one in Indonesia in the 19th century, larger than Krakatoa on the holy sweet Jesus Ted, that's a big one vulcanism scale. Toba was truly massive though. 30 times the scale of Krakatoa.

Tambora, in 1815? Led to the "year without a Summer" in 1816, which led to food riots and famines in parts of Asia and Europe. On a more positive note, it is also thought to have contributed to the spectacular sunsets which are preserved in paintings by William Turner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

4295_1d8f_562.jpeg

Shur you could squeeze in San Marino, Andorra and Liechtenstein while you’re at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Conchir wrote: »
    Wibbs wrote: »

Tambora, in 1815? Led to the "year without a Summer" in 1816, which led to food riots and famines in parts of Asia and Europe. On a more positive note, it is also thought to have contributed to the spectacular sunsets which are preserved in paintings by William Turner.

Wasn’t the sky colour in Munch’s scream also meant to show that or a similar event?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipso wrote: »
    Shur you could squeeze in San Marino, Andorra and Liechtenstein while you’re at it.
    And Luxembourg, Mount Athos, Sealand,
    and No. 68 Via Condotti, Rome

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipso wrote: »
    Wasn’t the sky colour in Munch’s scream also meant to show that or a similar event?
    Claude Monet had the lens in his left eye removed because of cataract surgery.

This meant more ultraviolet could enter that eye and so his paintings include features in flowers that previously only bees could see , or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Ri Hyang Ok played in the 1999 and 2003 World Cups for North Korea.  She also reffed in 2015 and now refs in 2019.
    https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/friday-162-ri-hyang-ok-interview-2930479

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Lansing, Michigan is the only American state capital that is not a county seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

The numbers on the knob of toasters are for the length of time in minutes, not the measure of heat.... (blew my mind last week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Gator wrote: »
    The numbers on the knob of toasters are for the length of time in minutes, not the measure of heat.... (blew my mind last week)

While they do refer to the time the toaster is on, they aren't necessarily in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I still want to know why toasters have a setting that guarantees charcoal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

seagull wrote: »

That's the setting for artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Commercials for Amazons Alexa are deliberately muted in the 3,000-6000Hz range of the audio spectrum. This is to stop any Alexas in the room with the TV thinking that it is a real command so Alexa ignores it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Waffles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mageirocophobia is the fear of cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

Tom Scott explains all

we used to use a smoke detector

when the alarm went off toast was just about to start burning , perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The largest private land owner in the world, owns approximately 71.6 million hectares (about 177 million acres), an area larger than France. Who owns it?

The Catholic Church! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The largest private land owner in the world, owns approximately 71.6 million hectares (about 177 million acres), an area larger than France. Who owns it?

The Catholic Church! :eek:
    Seems small beside Queen Elizabeth II who is the legal owner of about 6,600 million acres of land, one sixth of the earth’s non ocean surface.

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has 553 million acres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Seems small beside Queen Elizabeth II who is the legal owner of about 6,600 million acres of land, one sixth of the earth’s non ocean surface.

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has 553 million acres.

According to https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.lovemoney.com/galleries/amp/70168/revealed-the-worlds-biggest-private-landowners

She’s only got 146,000 hectares. Poor lass.

She must have the mother of all ride-on lawnmowers! I wonder where she finds the time to do anything else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »
    She must have the mother of all ride-on lawnmowers! I wonder where she finds the time to do anything else...

She needed room for a pony.

And a swimming pool? :pac: But... her husband's name isn't even Bruce, Srameen, come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

On another note, far away from mowing the grass on acres and acres of property ;), I came across an interesting study about brain activity.

It says - in short - that after death, that is when the heart stops beating and all organs are defunct, the brain is still active for 10 minutes and 38 seconds.
    Basically electricity, or neurons, are still firing away in the brain in a certain wave pattern.

What that exactly does to a dead person is unclear. Is that the moment when your life is passing by in your brain? Is that a state like in dreams when everything is wildly unlogical? The study doesn't explain and probably nobody will ever know until they are dead.

The idea is a bit frightening. You are dead, are you aware of it? What is going on in your brain? Does it involve conscious thinking? Or just wild images out of the depth of memory? Or just colourful flashes of something?

Well, maybe you all knew that, I didn't.

When I had to put my dog down I petted her head for the last time after the vet gave her the injection and she was finally still. At my touch she shivered and exhaled three times. I told the vet that she is still alive but he said that this is only the last electricity going out. I was seriously spooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve was one of the biggest hits of the 90s (1997), and frontman and songwriter Richard Ashcroft didn't earn a penny from it (though one could argue the huge popularity sold albums and concert tickets).

It sampled some music by the Andrew Oldham Orchestra, their orchestral cover of "The Last Time" by The Rolling Stones. The Verve had negotiated rights to use the sample from Decca records, part owner of the copyright. The other part owner was Allen Klein, former Rolling Stones manager. After the single was released, Klein took a lawsuit against The Verve.

As a result, songwriting credits were changed from Ashcroft to Jagger/Richards, who received 100% of royalties.

Story has a delayed but happy ending. In April 2019 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards relinquished their songwriting credit, and it is now solely credited to Richard Ashcroft!

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve was one of the biggest hits of the 90s (1997), and frontman and songwriter Richard Ashcroft didn't earn a penny from it (though one could argue the huge popularity sold albums and concert tickets).

It sampled some music by the Andrew Oldham Orchestra, their orchestral cover of "The Last Time" by The Rolling Stones. The Verve had negotiated rights to use the sample from Decca records, part owner of the copyright. The other part owner was Allen Klein, former Rolling Stones manager. After the single was released, Klein took a lawsuit against The Verve.

As a result, songwriting credits were changed from Ashcroft to Jagger/Richards, who received 100% of royalties.

Story has a delayed but happy ending. In April 2019 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards relinquished their songwriting credit, and it is now solely credited to Richard Ashcroft!

A story associated with that is that the band asked the stones manager how they wanted to divide up the royalties. "50/50" he said. the band thought this was quite reasonable until the stones manager added "50 for Mick and 50 for Keith"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

A story associated with that is that the band asked the stones manager how they wanted to divide up the royalties. "50/50" he said. the band thought this was quite reasonable until the stones manager added "50 for Mick and 50 for Keith"

And if you have heard the Stones original it was downright theft for them to accept royalties for the song. Oldham probably had a legit claim for something, but to be fair to The Verve, they had a deal with Decca, its not like they plagiarised anything.

• Advertisement

And if you have heard the Stones original it was downright theft for them to accept royalties for the song. Oldham probably had a legit claim for something, but to be fair to The Verve, they had a deal with Decca, its not like they plagiarised anything.

neither mick nor keith had any hand in the writing of that particular piece of music. they did own the royalties for it though.

Advertisement