Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lego, the people who make little bricks with little bumps on them, are releasing a Braille version.

It will, surprise surprise, be little bricks with little bumps on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fourier wrote: »
    From what I read, if you emerge every six years you're at risk from predators that emerge every 1, 2, 3 and 6 years, i.e. any cycle of years that divides 6.

Where as if you emerge using a cycle based on a prime number of years and the prime is big, you're really only susceptible to predators present every year.

Would that not still be the vast majority of predators though?

Now my knowledge of cicadas and their predators is not what it could be, but it just strikes me as an extreme response to negate such a slim threat. Would their shear weight of numbers not afford a good degree of protection anyway?

Could there be some other reason for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Would that not still be the vast majority of predators though?
    Apparently their main predators have cycles of length 2-10 years.

Of course this range still has the primes 2, 3, 5, 7 hence why they've gone to higher primes like 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The deepest point on earth reachable by humans, which is not underwater, is the Mponeng gold mine in South Africa.
    It currently reaches depths of 4 km (2.5 miles).

At this depth, the mine walls become heated to 60°C by the energy emanating from the earths mantle. A slurry of salt water and ice must be continually pumped down from the surface to cool the air to keep workers alive.

You wouldn't be alone at this depth either. A single species of bacterium, Candidatus Desulforudis audaxviator, has been found living at this depth. With no light, oxygen, or more ordinary nutrients to live off of, D. audaxviator has a metabolism based not on oxygen, but sulphites extracted from the surrounding rocks by the radioactive decay of uranium in those rocks.

More of a quirky maths thing than a 'bet you didn't know...."

1. Get a calculator
    2. Key in the first three digits of your mobile number (minus the 086/087 bit). If it starts with zero, use any 7 digit landline instead
    3. Multiply by 80
    4. add 1
    5. multiply by 250
    6. add the last 4 digits of your number
    7. add those 4 digits again
    8. subtract 250
    9. divide by 2

Do you recognize the number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

1. Get a calculator
    2. Key in the first three digits of your mobile number (minus the 086/087 bit). If it starts with zero, use any 7 digit landline instead
    3. Multiply by 80
    4. add 1
    5. multiply by 250
    8. subtract 250
    9. divide by 2

It ultimately just multiples the first digits by 10,000 and adds the last digits. A formula can be written easily, which distills down to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

1. Get a calculator
    3. Multiply by 80
    4. add 1
    5. multiply by 250
    8. subtract 250
    9. divide by 2

Make sure to hit enter after each step or BOMDAS screws it up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is there anything to be said for typing 5318008 into a calculator and turning it upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ipso wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for typing 5318008 into a calculator and turning it upside down?

Boobles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

1. Get a calculator
    3. Multiply by 80
    4. add 1
    5. multiply by 250
    8. subtract 250
    9. divide by 2

Let first three digits = x, and last four digits = y

2. x
    3. 80x
    4. 80x + 1
    5. 20000x + 250
    6. 20000x + 250 + y
    7. 20000x + 250 + 2y
    8. 20000x + 2y
    9. 10000x + y

• Advertisement

Come on, young innocent lads like New Home read this thread.

I didn't actually get that.

Now I do. :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Come on, young innocent lads like New Home read this thread.
    :rolleyes:

I used to type a more innocuous 0.7734 (try it).
    Candie wrote: »
    I didn't actually get that.

Now I do. :o

Also works with 58008.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Or 55378008

New Home wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Well time to dig a hole for myself, because there was an exchange between yourself and Candie in the last thread which made me think not only were you a man, but Candie's husband.:o

I don't have a husband, but if I was in the market for a wife NH would definitely be in the running :)

It's all possible these days, NH!

I don't have a husband
    :eek: The revelations keep coming. Next I'll learn Capn Midnight isn't even a qualified Naval Captain.

At least Wibbs is still a ripped Indian Jones figure rescuing ancient watches from tombs.

Or Fourier doesn't own a telescope, inconceivable!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well time to dig a hole for myself, because there was an exchange between yourself and Candie in the last thread which made me think not only were you a man, but Candie's husband.:o

I'm actually, literally, for real laughing out loud at this!! That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time! :D (I think you have us confused with Fartie and Bones :D)
    I don't have a husband, but if I was in the market for a wife NH would definitely be in the running :)

It's all possible these days, NH!

OMG, I can't even! :D
    :eek: The revelations keep coming. Next I'll learn Capn Midnight isn't even a qualified Naval Captain.

I bet he picked his name 'cause he likes to eat fish fingers (not a euphemism!) after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I bet he picked his name 'cause he likes to eat fish fingers (not a euphemism!) after dark.

Along with washing them down with Captain Morgan.

• Advertisement

What's happened to NH? Between this and calculator indecency I'm reeling from shock!

I SAID "NOT A EUPHEMISM!"!!! "NOT!!!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At least Wibbs is still a ripped Indian Jones figure rescuing ancient watches from tombs.
    61NW3gIdyiL._SY445_.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In order to set a precedent for the future of the office, George Washington chose to be called "Mr. President" instead of the senate proposed titles of "His Excellency" or "His Highness the President"

There is a visiting German gentleman in work (with whom I've fallen madly in love on the strength of his amazingly deep basso profundo voice) who was telling me that over 35% of the wind energy in the entire world is produced off the coast in northern Germany, and that Germans recycle a shade under 50% of all waste. Americans, on the other hand, account for 5% of the worlds population but over 30% of the worlds waste, and typically recycle less than a third of their household waste.

Even more interestingly, unexploded WW2 bombs are still being found all over Germany, weighing in at over 20,000 tons a year. Which everyone else might know, but I didn't!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

There is a visiting German gentleman in work (with whom I've fallen madly in love on the strength of his amazingly deep basso profundo voice) who was telling me that over 35% of the wind energy in the entire world is produced off the coast in northern Germany, and that Germans recycle a shade under 50% of all waste. Americans, on the other hand, account for 5% of the worlds population but over 30% of the worlds waste, and typically recycle less than a third of their household waste.

Even more interestingly, unexploded WW2 bombs are still being found all over Germany, weighing in at over 20,000 tons a year. Which everyone else might know, but I didn't!

A few still wash up off the Irish coast too! Recently there was one in Kinsale in 2018 and another in Antrim in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Frankfurt centre was shut a years ago due to a bomb found. Quite a regular occurrence TBH and it will continue for many years to come.

Even in the UK unexploded WWII bombs still found on a regular enough basis. Birmingham a couple of years back my train was cancelled as they found a bomb near the train line and they were sorting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Cant find confirmation, but sounds like it could be true ..... Google (or YouTube?) have a dedicated conspiracy-theory scanning group to keep the flat-earth, lizard-people, illuminati, etc to a minimum. However....the staff have to be reassigned often as they start to believe the theories!

When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you!

PS .... I do have a surf board!

Frankfurt centre was shut a years ago due to a bomb found. Quite a regular occurrence TBH and it will continue for many years to come.

Even in the UK unexploded WWII bombs still found on a regular enough basis. Birmingham a couple of years back my train was cancelled as they found a bomb near the train line and they were sorting it out.

I remember hearing a few times about UXB's in the UK (sounds like a song title) but apparently they find some kind of dangerous WW2 leftover between 10 - 15 times a week in Germany.

There was one found not too long back in a disused airport in Kent that was going to be used as a massive lorry car park in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

T

Unfortunatly throughout the world UXB's cause misery and death years after the conflict has ended.

UXB's worldwide.

Advertisement