Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Someone on TV tonight said that China has manufactured more steel in the last two years than Britain has in all of history. It may or may not be true.

There is something similar about concrete. Apparently China used more concrete between 2011 and 2013 than the US did during the entire 20th century which is mind boggling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Someone on TV tonight said that China has manufactured more steel in the last two years than Britain has in all of history. It may or may not be true.

Very likely.

A total of 88 buildings measuring 200^ meters (656 feet) or above were completed in cities across China for 2018.
    ^ Ire's tallest building the Belfast Obel Tower is 88m.
    The figure sets a new benchmark for annual skyscraper construction in a single country, and is almost seven times higher than the 13 completions recorded in the US, which ranked a distant second.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Something I did not know until today (but i'm sure fourier did). The man who proved Einstein was right

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48369980

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ever wonder why the shower curtain moves towards the water?

Known in physics as the Shower-Curtain Effect, one theory has suggested that the hot shower causes the air temperature in the shower to rise, thus reducing it's density. Hence the pressure on the shower side of the curtain will be lower than the outside at the same height causing the curtain ti move towards the lower pressure side. Only problem there is that the same thing happens with cold water.

However, using a computer simulation, it was observed that the spray drove a vortex which has a centre similar to a cyclone. This centre is a low pressure area. It is thought that this is what drags the shower curtain towards the water. This is a weak force and explains why heavy shower curtains to not experience the drag, only the lighter ones. Likewise, showers with poor water pressure or poorly atomising shower heads will not have much of an effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Ever wonder why the shower curtain moves towards the water?
    Always assumed it was Bernoulli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Horses have the remnants of what people think might be an extra toe their ancestors had. Some people think its a scent gland. Some peeps say they protect some ligaments.

They are called ergots and they are under the fetlocks. They also have chestnuts which are made of the same callousy tissues above the knee and below the hock.

On some horse breeds they don't grow much. But on draft horses they grow much faster. If they get really long they can snag on stuff and bleed. So its best to tame em. You break them off or keep them trim. Use oil so they don't bleed.

A farrier can do it. But doing it yourself is the most satisfying thing ever. Use some oil.

I SO want to pick these off. I am weird.
    WAY OVERGROWN Chestnuts
    chestnut.jpg

huge_horse_chestnut.jpg

This is what they should look like
    HorseChestnut01.jpg

Ergots due for a trim.
    bigstock-Detailed-View-Of-Horse-Foot-Ho-111572735-770x405.jpg

Some breeds don't have much ergots or chestnuts on the back. Most have four though. Generally cold bloods grow them faster.

The central nervous system is made up of the brain and spinal cord, and the peripheral nervous system covers all the branches outward and around your body, all the nerves from the tip of your fingers to the top of your toes. This is further subdivided into two categories, the autonomic and the somatic nervous system. The somatic system regulates your voluntary movements and the autonomic the involuntary, knee jerk reactions you have no conscious say over.

Nerve fibres are communication lines that transmit signals between the receptors and nerve cells, and the timing of signals between them can vary. The touch sensitive neurons signal that you've bashed your elbow on the corner of the table ten times faster than the pain fibres tell your brain that you're in mortal agony.

Which is why you can bang your thumb with a hammer and know you've done it for a moment before you feel the pain, or why you bash your toe on the edge of a step and the pain hits a little later. Or why small children only realise the injection has taken place a moment after the needle has been withdrawn and it's all over.

Alcohol further complicates the lines of communication between receptors and brain, which anyone who's hurt themselves while drunk may know. You might look down to see someone has trodden on your toe, and only begun to feel it when you realize it should be hurting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Dr Seuss invented the word "nerd".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A 'nerd' was a term for a plastic pocket protector back in the day.

Not your ornery onager

Candie wrote: »
    The central nervous system is made up of the brain and spinal cord, and the peripheral nervous system covers all the branches outward and around your body, all the nerves from the tip of your fingers to the top of your toes. This is further subdivided into two categories, the autonomic and the somatic nervous system. The autonomic system regulates your voluntary movements and the somatic the involuntary, knee jerk reactions you have no conscious say over.

Excellent sumation of our differing categories of nervous system Candie;
    just want to point out that it's the somatic system that is voluntary and the autonomic which is unconscious :)

• Advertisement

Excellent sumation of our differing categories of nervous system Candie;
    just want to point out that it's the somatic system that is voluntary and the autonomic which is unconscious :)

Typing (and thinking) while tired is a bad idea. :)

Also known as the "Feynman point", at the 762nd digit of Pi there are six 9s in a row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

They're up to 2.7 trillion digits after the decimal point now, with no patterns emerging yet .

That's 2,700,000,000,000... But only 39 points are required to calculate the circumference of the known universe to within the width of a hydrogen atom.

So I don't really know why it matters how far it goes before it becomes patternic (made that word up :))

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Because nobody likes a pi(e) with a piece missing, that's why.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Anyone got any info on how they actually calculate pi to that many decimal points?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anyone know why they care so much ?

quickbeam wrote: »
    Anyone got any info on how they actually calculate pi to that many decimal points?

They divide 22 x 7 and keep going.

They divide 22 x 7 and keep going.

I know enough to know that that is not true. Pi is irrational. 22/7 is a rational number.

Also 22/7 = 3.14285...
    Pi = 3.14159...

It doesn't take long for the difference to appear.

I know in school we used 22/7 as a good approximation. But I was wondering how they actually work out the 2.7 trillion numbers of it. I know there's a Wiki article but I'm not smart enough to understand it and was wondering if there was a simplified explanation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know enough to know that that is not true. Pi is irrational. 22/7 is a rational number.

I know in school we used 22/7 as a good approximation.
    22 over 7 is NOT a good approximation.

It's nearly five thousand times further from Pi than dividing 113 into 355.

As for calculating Pi there are two main ways

- one is to use a shape like a hexagon or dodecahedron inside the circle and another outside it. Then from the centre you divide them into triangles.

The triangle on the inside is an isosceles triangle, the long sides are the radius of the circle and the short side is slightly shorter than the curved part of the circle.

The triangle on the outside is continuation of the triangle above into a right angle triangle. Same angle at the centre, same base , except the top side is now very slightly longer and the small side is slightly longer than the curved part of the circle.

So you now have two approximations to Pi , one slightly higher and one slightly lower and the answer must be somewhere in between.

- two you find an equation that Pi pops up in
    some work better than others http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PiFormulas.html

This is one of the simplest and worst
    fab3e3e4febf987b57159d81fd47995fb0af1240

Simplest because you add and subtract alternative reciprocals of every odd number.
    Worst because to get to 355/113 accuracy you have to through millions of steps.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_formula_for_%CF%80

Anyone know why they care so much ?
    Like searching for primes it's a traditional way to test or burn in a new super computer. Also bragging rights.

e_to_the_pi_minus_pi.png

• Advertisement

22 over 7 is NOT a good approximation.

Good enough approximation for second level education then??

I don't really get your explanation, but thanks for trying. It does seem like a somewhat inaccurate way of calculating it ("two approximations to Pi ... and the answer must be somewhere in between"), so I'm wondering how scientists / mathematicians have come to an agreed number. Or an agreed 2.7 trillion numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There are no Aldi's in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

KevRossi wrote: »
    There are no Aldi's in Northern Ireland.

A constant source of consternation for many. At least we have Lidl though.

4355_6219.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Good enough approximation for second level education then??

I don't really get your explanation, but thanks for trying. It does seem like a somewhat inaccurate way of calculating it ("two approximations to Pi ... and the answer must be somewhere in between"), so I'm wondering how scientists / mathematicians have come to an agreed number. Or an agreed 2.7 trillion numbers?
    There are simply hundreds of different formulas for pi that take the form of adding together a never ending sequence of numbers.

One case is 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 -.... which is adding then subtracting 1 divided by each odd number. This is the one Capt'n Midnight mentioned, but there are several others. Some add to pi faster than others do.

The multiple trillion decimal place calculations are found using the sequence that adds up to pi the quickest. However the formula for it is a good deal more complicated than the 1 - 1/3 + 1/5... one.

Fourier wrote: »
    One case is 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 -....

Sorry for being dim, but:

1 - 1/3 + 1/5 = 0.86666....
    I keep going (I'm using an Excel formula) to 1/1999 and it's giving me 0.785148.

It's been fairly consistently around the 0.785 mark since 1/1253.

So, where is 3.14... come from?

Edit: never mind, I see CM's explanation that above is pi/4, so multiplying by 4 gives 3.140593.

Grand. Thanks.

I won't get into *why* that's the case as I think it's too much for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Grand. Thanks.

I had to smile at this. Grand. Thanks. I know when something starts getting beyond me and I have the same reaction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Do you remember the Taylor series from school? It's a way of writing a function as a sum based on its derivatives. The series above comes from the Taylor series of arctan(x) evaluated at x = 1.

There are various proofs, and they're just about accessible to someone with LC maths; see, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_formula_for_%CF%80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Basically every function can be written as a combination of simple functions with an increasing number of bumps in them. You can see this process in action here:
    taylor_series_animated.gif
    As more of the simple functions are added they get closer to the main function shown in blue.

In these series for pi what's going on is that the value of the main function at some point is pi and the 1, -1/3, 1/5,... are the values of the simple functions at that point.

A simpler way to imagine it is basically music. The true function is an actual piece of music let's say. The simple functions are each individual note. They have to combine to give the actual piece of music. So you pick a part of the song where the music is Pi decibels loud and you know how loud each note is must add up to Pi.

The different ways of getting Pi are just different song choices and for some the notes add up quicker because the song is dominated by those notes.

Advertisement