Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Unfortunatly throughout the world UXB's cause misery and death years after the conflict has ended.

UXB's worldwide.

Interesting to see Egypt is top of the list. I automatically assumed it'd be somewhere like Vietnam, which is only 10th or so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Interesting to see Egypt is top of the list. I automatically assumed it'd be somewhere like Vietnam, which is only 10th or so.
    Foreign mines at that.

There's a lot of land mines left over from WWII and Israeli's dumped shed loads of the things in Sinai.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

Did you ever get annoyed when you open a jar/tube of honey, only to find that it's hardened up (cyrstalization has occured ).
    Today I found a quick way to undo this. Put the jar/tube into saucepan and heatup to near boiling. Wait few minutes. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

bauney wrote: »
    Did you ever get annoyed when you open a jar/tube of honey, only to find that it's hardened up (cyrstalization has occured ).
    Today I found a quick way to undo this. Put the jar/tube into saucepan and heatup to near boiling. Wait few minutes. Simple as that.

Or stick it in the microwave for a minute......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or leave it on the windowsill in the sun (may take longer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Mew and Mewtwo are cat Pokémon.

764dak wrote: »
    Mew and Mewtwo are cat Pokémon.

And for a pokemon, Mewtwo is quite the deep guy

f5121fbf4cd2fe69fe00eb27e0778b83e65f2f6f_hq.jpg

The turquoise killifish Nothobranchius furzeri has an incredibly accelerated lifespan, living for less than a year and reaching full sexual maturity only 14 days after hatching (shortest of any vertebrate on Earth)!

For this reason it's thought they'll act as a good experimental species for modelling age related diseases and senescence in general in humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The coral reef dwarf goby has the shortest lifespan of any vertebrate with a survival limit of 59 days.

The coral reef dwarf goby has the shortest lifespan of any vertebrate with a survival limit of 59 days.

Aplogies I ought have formatted my post better - I was only referring to the killifish's time to sexual maturity as being the shortest of any vertebrate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

clostridium perfringens a bacteria that brings you food poisoning and gas gangrene can double it's numbers in as little as 6.3 minutes under optimal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Our moon is quite unusual insofar as it is chemically very similar to the earth, ie it appears to be made of the exact same material as the earth. This is very unusual as most moons are wandering objects which become trapped by the gravity of the larger planet they orbit and they therefore have no real relationship to that planet. Think of Jupiter and how vastly different all those moons are.

A new theory has possibly shed some light on this anomaly - it suggests that far in the past a mars sized object collided with the earth, releasing enough energy in the process to vaporise the whole planet, creating an astronomical body known as a synestia, the material for the moon then spun off from this synestia and over time both bodies cooled and solidified into what we see today.

https://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_t_stewart_where_did_the_moon_come_from_a_new_theory?language=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across this just now, interesting graphic about child deaths in Africa.
    https://twitter.com/countcarbon/status/1126055688180989952?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Irish politicians are hovering at the bottom of the European table when it comes to higher education qualifications.

For example over 30% of German politicians have PhDs but none in the Irish parliament- might have changed in the last few years but can't imagine that it's by much.

There is a link somewhere if I could bother to find it.

In other words the Irish parliament is one of the least educated in Europe. That's hard to write. Although looking at the UK at the moment it is reasonable to conclude that higher education may be a tad overrated.

Too much family dynasty nonsense going on. Any old mucker can get their LC and then do a few token years in the family business and then for election.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was reading the TA thread earlier, and there was a "discussion" as to whether vegan/vegetarian sausages could be considered sausages at all. It appears they can, provided they contain salt.

From etymonline:

sausage (n.)

mid-15c., sawsyge, from Old North French saussiche (Modern French saucisse), from Vulgar Latin *salsica "sausage," from salsicus "seasoned with salt," from Latin salsus "salted," from past participle of Old Latin sallere "to salt," from sal (genitive salis) "salt" (from PIE root *sal- "salt").

So there. :P

^^^
    In English at least, because the Latin word should be made up of "sal" + "insicia". The part after "sal" (in Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Catalan, and even French, and probably to a few more languages) refers to finely chopped/ minced meat. So, it's supposed to mean salted minced meat.

[Late Latin salsīcia, neutral pl. of salsicium, formed by "crossing" insicium, insicia (minced meat) with salsicius (salty)]

Having said that, its meaning has changed with time and now it refers to anything "sausage-shaped".

New Home wrote: »
    ^^^
    In English at least, because the Latin word should be made up of "sal" + "insicia". The part after "sal" (in Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Catalan, and even French, and probably to a few more languages) refers to finely chopped/ minced meat. So, it's supposed to mean salted minced meat.

[Late Latin salsīcia, neutral pl. of salsicium, formed by "crossing" insicium, insicia (minced meat) with salsicius (salty)]

Having said that, its meaning has changed with time and now it refers to anything "sausage-shaped".

The word 'salary' also comes from sal as people were paid in salt back in the day as it was a prized preservative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The flashes of coloured light you see when you rub your eyes are called "phosphenes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

mzungu wrote: »
    The flashes of coloured light you see when you rub your eyes are called "phosphenes".
    Not true everyone knows there Fairies.

According to the International Maritime Organization, the 20 largest ships in the world produce more toxic emissions than all the cars in the world.

The IMO has agreed to cap the emissions allowable from 2020, but as the massive funds required to modify the ships to reduce the emissions to the proposed levels aren't available, it appears the reduction will either be compromised or that they'll be decommissioned.

20 ships trump over 1 billion cars, and it's the cars that get the bad rap.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    According to the International Maritime Organization, the 20 largest ships in the world produce more toxic emissions than all the cars in the world.

The IMO has agreed to cap the emissions allowable from 2020, but as the massive funds required to modify the ships to reduce the emissions to the proposed levels aren't available, it appears the reduction will either be compromised or that they'll be decommissioned.

20 ships trump over 1 billion cars, and it's the cars that get the bad rap.
    Only if you measure sulphur emissions.

Could be solved tomorrow if they used low sulphur fuel. Like changing from heavy bunker fuel to marine gas oil on the next voyage.

Or by fitting filters, or changing to something like LNG

New rules mean by 2020 they will have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Between May 5th 1963 and May 16th 1965, only two different acts had number one albums in the UK charts, apart from one solitary week during this period. The two acts were, probably unsurprisingly, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Their dominance was only briefly broken by Bob Dylan, who spent the week of April 11th-18th 1965 at number one with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thought I’d throw this question out there......
    Has any country tried to ‘metricise’ time? ie break it down into units of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thought I’d throw this question out there......
    Has any country tried to ‘metricise’ time? ie break it down into units of ten.

Not surprisingly the french tried this. Not a great success

http://mentalfloss.com/article/32127/decimal-time-how-french-made-10-hour-day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Years ago I knew a chap with a decimal pocket watch, not unlike this example:

fhhmag_slideshow_003344-008.jpg

Though his was late 18th century so worth a fair few bob now. The one in the pic going by the method of winding(built in crown, rather than a separate key) that's a later one, likely from the end of the 19th century when they had a go at the concept again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

"Knew a chap". Right, Wibbs. "A friend of yours", I'm sure. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

New Home wrote: »
    "Knew a chap". Right, Wibbs. "A friend of yours", I'm sure. :D
    I wish it was mine. :D Worth five figures these days. I've a couple of timepieces worth four figures, but not five sadly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Wibbs wrote: »
    I wish it was mine. :D Worth five figures these days. I've a couple of timepieces worth four figures, but not five sadly.

Alright I can definitely envisage a monocle in place of that clouded eye now :D

And some not so shabby upholstery too, with only a slight sheen from all the hair lacquer

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The word 'salary' also comes from sal as people were paid in salt back in the day as it was a prized preservative.

I think that's just something that got said once and repeated as fact but has no historical evidence to back it up.

The first female to male transgender operation was on an Irish woman-man. Michael Dillon was born Laura Maud Dillon in Lismullen in 1915. After studying sciences in Oxford he worked in a research lab. While there he sought hormone treatment but the doctor he was seeing started gossiping and she left Oxford for Bristol to work in a mechanic's garage.

He returned to Ireland and studied medicine in Trinity and while there he wrote a book (Self:A study in ethics and endocrinology) this lead to being put in contact with a doctor in London willing and able to do the op.
    Dr. Gillies, a Kiwi, a Spitfire pilot in WW2 (captured) and a brilliant golfer had been making his name in plastic surgery reconstructing injured veterans.

By 1949 Michael Dillon had completed the 13+operations to transition and by '51 he'd qualified in medicine and signed up to the merchant navy as a surgeon and spent 6 years at sea.

Wanting to live a normal and anonymous life a fairly innocuous reveal in Debrettes Peerage caused a storm that Michael wanted to escape from.
    He headed to India and wished to become a buddhist monk. He changed his name to Sramamera Jivaka. Things didnt pan out the way he hoped as his past caught up with him and that branch of Buddhism were unwilling to ordain him full monk status. He decided to hoof it to Tibet where they were more broadminded and he restarted his studies and changed his name to Lobzang Jivaka.
    Under his Buddhist names he published a number of books on that religion.

Eventually his visa ran out and in 1962 aged 47 he dies. In India. In penury.

Laura Maud Dillon-Laurence Michael Dillon-Sramamera Jivaka-Lobzang Jivaka.

Navan man.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    I think that's just something that got said once and repeated as fact but has no historical evidence to back it up.

But there is no historical evidence disproving it either...:D

Advertisement