Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Can any of you weather experts help me? What weeks over the next 5 are going to be the worse for frost? Have holidays to take and hoping to miss as many frosty mornings as possible.

The week starting December 4th. should be frosty. So, I would go to work that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Mt just posted this update over on Netweather

Developments so far are generally positive from my perspective, and point to the potential for major cold and snow around mid-January after a few less robust efforts likely in December.

The "cold pole" is definitely over on the Pacific side of the hemisphere at present, but that has its benefits for later cold on your side, since there is a more accommodating region over this way to create significant arctic high pressure. Then what is needed is some mechanism to push that over the pole towards north-central Russia where it can begin to influence Scandinavia. I foresee that being the general outcome over 30-60 days as retrogression begins to develop in December, then height building follows in western North America (right now we have a raging subarctic jet coming in here and it's cold/moist).

So like I said originally, patience -- this winter won't all come and go before New Years, in fact, it might not even start really until after New Years, with one possible exception, I think about one week of December will be wintry and that most likely around 15th to 21st give or take a few days.

So the bottom line remains this -- there seems to be a very good chance for major winter weather to come in January, and if that turns out to be too fast then February has been known to be just as good if not better, but personally I am still thinking January is "the" month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mt just posted this update over on Netweather

Developments so far are generally positive from my perspective, and point to the potential for major cold and snow around mid-January after a few less robust efforts likely in December.

The "cold pole" is definitely over on the Pacific side of the hemisphere at present, but that has its benefits for later cold on your side, since there is a more accommodating region over this way to create significant arctic high pressure. Then what is needed is some mechanism to push that over the pole towards north-central Russia where it can begin to influence Scandinavia. I foresee that being the general outcome over 30-60 days as retrogression begins to develop in December, then height building follows in western North America (right now we have a raging subarctic jet coming in here and it's cold/moist).

So like I said originally, patience -- this winter won't all come and go before New Years, in fact, it might not even start really until after New Years, with one possible exception, I think about one week of December will be wintry and that most likely around 15th to 21st give or take a few days.

So the bottom line remains this -- there seems to be a very good chance for major winter weather to come in January, and if that turns out to be too fast then February has been known to be just as good if not better, but personally I am still thinking January is "the" month.

so happy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heres the Met UK outlook

UK Outlook for Monday 21 Nov 2011 to Wednesday 30 Nov 2011:

Starting mild and unsettled in the western half of the UK, where spells of rain will occasionally turn heavy, particularly over southwest-facing slopes in the northwest. The rain will be coupled with gales in parts of the west, perhaps severe gales in some northwestern areas at times. The east should experience drier, brighter conditions at first, with a risk of some fog in the mornings, and chilly overnight temperatures. The milder but unsettled conditions in the west may make inroads east at times, however. By the second week, westerly winds should spread east, giving largely unsettled weather across all parts. Temperatures will fall to near-normal, with an increased incidence of overnight frosts and a heightened snow risk for Scottish mountains.

Updated: 1120 on Wed 16 Nov 2011

UK Outlook for Wednesday 30 Nov 2011 to Wednesday 14 Dec 2011:

The first half of December should see some rather unsettled and changeable weather, particularly towards the north and west. Total precipitation amounts are likely to be close to or above the seasonal average, whilst some snow is likely on high ground in the northern half of the UK. Temperatures are expected to be around average but, at this time of year, that typically means single-figure degrees Celsius maxima and an increasing chance of overnight frosts. A few milder days are still possible, chiefly in the west at first, but on the whole it will feel significantly colder than during the recent mild spell.

Heres the outlook from this week last year (Sorry I couldnt help myself for nostalgia reasons :) )
    Pangea wrote: »
    UK Outlook for Monday 22 Nov 2010 to Wednesday 1 Dec 2010:

A generally unsettled and chilly start with clear or sunny spells, but also with showers, particularly in the east, where some longer spells of rain are also possible. Showers wintry over hills. It will soon turn colder into next week with showers turning increasingly wintry to lower levels with a risk of some significant accumulations of snow in northern and eastern parts. Temperatures below average for the time of year with an increasing risk of overnight frost and icy surfaces, especially where skies clear. Feeling cold in the often fresh and mainly northeasterly wind. The cold theme then continues through to the beginning of December, with northern and eastern parts most at risk from wintry weather.

Updated: 1212 on Wed 17 Nov 2010

UK Outlook for Thursday 2 Dec 2010 to Thursday 16 Dec 2010:

It is expected to remain cold across much of the UK, with precipitation amounts around average, or slightly below, throughout the period. Northeasterly winds could bring wintry showers to northern and eastern areas at times. Amounts of sunshine should be above average away from northern and eastern coasts where it is likely to be cloudier. Temperatures are likely to be below average across the country, with frosty nights and the possibility of some wintry precipitation at times for most areas.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

Heres the Met UK outlook

Starting mild and unsettled in the western half of the UK, where spells of rain will occasionally turn heavy, particularly over southwest-facing slopes in the northwest. The rain will be coupled with gales in parts of the west, perhaps severe gales in some northwestern areas at times. The east should experience drier, brighter conditions at first, with a risk of some fog in the mornings, and chilly overnight temperatures. The milder but unsettled conditions in the west may make inroads east at times, however. By the second week, westerly winds should spread east, giving largely unsettled weather across all parts. Temperatures will fall to near-normal, with an increased incidence of overnight frosts and a heightened snow risk for Scottish mountains.

The first half of December should see some rather unsettled and changeable weather, particularly towards the north and west. Total precipitation amounts are likely to be close to or above the seasonal average, whilst some snow is likely on high ground in the northern half of the UK. Temperatures are expected to be around average but, at this time of year, that typically means single-figure degrees Celsius maxima and an increasing chance of overnight frosts. A few milder days are still possible, chiefly in the west at first, but on the whole it will feel significantly colder than during the recent mild spell.

Heres the outlook from this week last year (Sorry I couldnt help myself for nostalgia reasons :) )

I thought it was this year for a minute:) but still signs of cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heres the Met UK outlook

admit it. you've been looking at your pictures of last December with a sad face lately:p

it looks like Roger J Smith's update was timely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

admit it. you've been looking at your pictures of last December with a sad face lately:p

it looks like Roger J Smith's update was timely!

Ive been doing that for the past 11 months nacho! :pac:

Just realised musicman2000s quote post was a quote from MT :D Things look promising.
    Still I would prefer it at Christmas time though :pac: (Sorry I am being picky :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Here's some stunning winter images to the music Winter Song. Probably taken in America somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pauldry

Due to cutbacks in the budget sn*w will be restricted to a single flake per household.

Joan Burton is due to release an official statement today which will also outline increases in take home rain and abolishment of sun

met office say 40 % chance of colder than avg winter, 30% avg winter,30% mild winter, encouraging i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

bb1234567 wrote: »
    met office say 40 % chance of colder than avg winter, 30% avg winter,30% mild winter, encouraging i suppose!

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Whose met office? And realistically, thats a ridiculous statement, as it basically tells you nothing. It's practically a statement of the likelihood of winter weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So there is a 60% chance of no real sustained cold weather then. Not that I would read anything into such numbers.

mike65 wrote: »
    So there is a 60% chance of no real sustained cold weather then. Not that I would read anything into such numbers.

aw it sucks when you put it like that:p

• Advertisement

Whose met office? And realistically, thats a ridiculous statement, as it basically tells you nothing. It's practically a statement of the likelihood of winter weather.

i agree with you, just posting what i heard.:)

baraca wrote: »
    Link?

A poster on another forum posted it,this is what he said-''We went to see the Met Office. Their prediction for winter? 40% chance of colder than average, 30% chance of average, 30% chance of milder than average. What a total waste of time and money. Thoroughly useless!''
    I asked him to post a link.I'll post it if he replies.

Anyone notice this trend..Temps wise.
    Winter 08/09- Below avg.
    Spring 09- Above avg *(but not actually certain about this one)
    Summer 09-Below avg.
    Autumn 09-Above avg.
    Winter 09/10 -Below avg.
    Spring 2010- above avg.
    Summer 2010-Below avg.
    Autumn 2010-Above avg.
    Winter 2010/2011 -Below avg.
    Spring 2011- Above avg.
    Summer 2011- Below avg.
    Autumn 2011-Above avg.
    Winter 2011/2012- Supposed to be below avg.
    Hardly a coincidence? Each season is below/above avg one after another year on year since winter 08/09:eek: very weird, or just coincidence?Correct me if wrong on any of the seasons.

Well its encouraging because just a while ago the met were saying a cold winter was unlikely or they werent expecting winter or something ,didnt they?So its good now they think a cold winter is more likely than a mild or avg one! But I personally dont care what the met have to say, just thought some people might be interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet.

It's about 170 hours out so kinda FI but still interesting...

352fal3.gif

16263oi.gif

Thats violent storm force sustained winds on the southwest coast there. You could have hurricane force gusts with that if that came off.

Of course the track/intensity will change a lot and this could even be gone completely on the next run.

• Advertisement

Don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet.

It's about 170 hours out so kinda FI but still interesting...

352fal3.gif

16263oi.gif

Thats violent storm force sustained winds on the southwest coast there. You could have hurricane force gusts with that if that came off.

Of course the track/intensity will change a lot and this could even be gone completely on the next run.

The Gfs has a thing of winding up deep low's, the ECMWF has it on a more nw track towards Scotland and not as deep

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Anyone notice this trend..Temps wise.
    Winter 08/09- Below avg.
    Spring 09- Above avg *(but not actually certain about this one)
    Summer 09-Below avg.
    Autumn 09-Above avg.
    Winter 09/10 -Below avg.
    Spring 2010- above avg.
    Summer 2010-Below avg.
    Autumn 2010-Above avg.
    Winter 2010/2011 -Below avg.
    Spring 2011- Above avg.
    Summer 2011- Below avg.
    Autumn 2011-Above avg.
    Winter 2011/2012- Supposed to be below avg.
    Hardly a coincidence? Each season is below/above avg one after another year on year since winter 08/09:eek: very weird, or just coincidence?Correct me if wrong on any of the seasons.

OOOH bb I like this... we CAN'T break the cycle!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Celtic Snow Man

Caff Caff wrote: »
    Don't bother... there will be something on youtube soon I'd say. Also, he has been commenting on different sites if you want to do a wee search of Piers Corbyn on Google. He maintains what he says which is what I posted. Trends on metoecief and netweather.tv are somewhat consistent, of late, with his predictions. But... I will say... SAVE YOUR MONEY!! What's wrong with waiting and seeing what happens. His prediction will still be there to criticise or praise so let's see what happens.... booom!!!!

Cheers for getting back. I am new to this page. I loved the snow over the past couple of years and am really hoping for more of the same. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

The Gfs has a thing of winding up deep low's, the ECMWF has it on a more nw track towards Scotland and not as deep

Are you for real !!!!!!! Hoping for good / calm weather on the 26th

Heyes wrote: »
    Are you for real !!!!!!! Hoping for good / calm weather on the 26th

Yes im for real, think you might want to read the post again:) EMWF has the deep low avoiding us, the GSF hasnt

Yes im for real, think you might want to read the post again:) EMWF has the deep low avoiding us, the GSF hasnt

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "EMWF has the deep low avoiding us, the GSF hasnt" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

ecm500.240.png
    He means the Low Pressure passes to our Northwest in the ECM charts which would be a more realistic outcome.

redsunset wrote: »
    ecm500.240.png
    He means the Low Pressure passes to our Northwest in the ECM charts which would be a more realistic outcome.

Okay thanks, so its more play by ear (as per usual) at the moment. This wkend is suppose to be a bit wild though

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aquarian_fire

I heard it's meant to be quite cold alright, but it seems to be warm enough at the moment so it might not be as bad as some people were originally predicting. Then again, the weather has surprised us all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

It would be great to get snow early again this year. Some of the leaves were still on the trees when the snow came first last year like in the first photo taken last year. :)

P1010012[1].JPG

P1010005[1].JPG

• Advertisement

damino wrote: »
    It would be great to get snow early again this year. Some of the leaves were still on the trees when the snow came first last year like in the first photo taken last year. :)

P1010012[1].JPG

P1010005[1].JPG[/QR
    Really great photos, are you a photographer or something because theyre really good!

damino wrote: »

P1010012[1].JPG

P1010005[1].JPG[/QR
    Really great photos, are you a photographer or something because theyre really good!

they are fantastic photos !!

I feel like yelling this VERY LOUDLY - there is no cold weather for as far as can be plausibly ascertained!

I feel like yelling this VERY LOUDLY - there is no cold weather for as far as can be plausibly ascertained!

And i feel like yelling this very loudly, WE KNOW

Some people don't seem to though. It should be a sticky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Don't suggest that! I have to scroll to the bottom of the page just to see the active threads as it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECMWF run would agree! Shows average to mild for the next 8 to 10 days:

181684.gif

Please god no more stickies.

Indeed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Taken from Freezing Ireland facebook page..

Peter O'Donnell's Latest update for winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/13/warm-autumn-wildlife-oddities?commentpage=1#start-of-comments

Check out this article and comments. Very interesting and absolutely true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Interesting yes and absolutely true because the autumn is extraordinarily mild - even warm. 14.3c at the moment which was a typical afternoon temperature during the very cool summer, no wonder nature doesn't know whats going on!
    At this stage I think I'm looking at the same chart every day it changes so little.

brack0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Caff Caff wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/13/warm-autumn-wildlife-oddities?commentpage=1#start-of-comments

Check out this article and comments. Very interesting and absolutely true...

I feel I should go on that site and troll climate change.:D

I am sure some of these people were there saying it was all a lie during the snow last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Friday, 18 November, 2011

"OUTLOOK ... Breezy, mild but turning somewhat colder, timing rather uncertain, seems most likely to be around Friday 25th."

Just wondering wat MT would be meaning by the 25th? sorry if im being silly i just not sure what the date is to do with:confused:.

(in my head sayin with fingers crossed: please be snow, please be snow, please be bloody snow) oh a girl can dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Turning 'somewhat colder' from the present 10-12c brings us to average temps for this time of year. The charts beyond the 25th show transitions from current set-up to cooler weather and back to milder weather, hence why MT probably is uncertain about the timing. One thing is clear is that a pattern change is on the way come the 25/26. The Atlantic will lose its firm handle on our weather and there is a massive pool of cold air to our nw, nw and ne. The charts presently show high pressure holding its position over Greenland in late Nov into early Dec, with 1/2 Scandinavian highs forming. One to watch and see if the models stick to this set up. If they do then we could be heading toward our first proper wintry outbreak of the season sometime during second week of December.

• Advertisement

Why am I so impatient for the sn*w to come by Christmas?? I don't know why I keep forgetting that January is totally winter too. Also I am more likely to be "sn*wed in from work" in January when I'm actually meant to go and don't want to! :pac:

I just hope there is some kind of snow event in December... I'm finding it hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it's 14 bloody degrees out!

Over on Netweather their long range forecaster posted this, and its not good for cold in December at all, MT's update was different to this
    Looks a lot like December's expected pattern starting to make itself apparent in the modelling, with the exception of operational ECM and ECM mean which are marked outliers in my book.

Key to this is the westward shift of the main upper trough over Alaska pepping up the ridge over the Canadian Arctic (this has been over Hudson Bay for much of the autumn in various strengths). The Pacific ridge looks flat and the eastward shift in the Canadian ridge looks likley to nudge our trough further east resulting in a consequent nudge to the ridge over Scandinavia.

The concensus NAEFS H5 mean has been for a temporary weakening of the Scandinavian ridge as the pattern flattens out in response to the upstream change however it should be noted that the composite analogue package doesn't make much of the Canadian ridge in the longer term, prefering to shift this south into the Atlantic with a strengthening positive anomaly over Finland, something NAEFS is also hinting at the end of runs to rebuild heights over Scandinavia as the Canadian ridge wanes.

All of this does suggest a bit more emphasis on a westerly or south-westerly type pattern for the UK.

For anyone thinking the ECM might be onto something, I would advise a look at how the ECM models the MJO in the next 15 days (much the most progressive of all reliable global models) and ECM spreads for our part of the world.

Still absolutely no sign of anything remotely cold, quite the reverse in fact with the forecast flat upstream pattern not going to help things in the future either.

Over on Netweather their long range forecaster posted this, and its not good for cold in December at all, MT's update was different to this

The Johnny Sexton of winter... the occasional great moments that we wait for in between the mostly dreadful performances.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Turning 'somewhat colder' from the present 10-12c brings us to average temps for this time of year. The charts beyond the 25th show transitions from current set-up to cooler weather and back to milder weather, hence why MT probably is uncertain about the timing. One thing is clear is that a pattern change is on the way come the 25/26. The Atlantic will lose its firm handle on our weather and there is a massive pool of cold air to our nw, nw and ne. The charts presently show high pressure holding its position over Greenland in late Nov into early Dec, with 1/2 Scandinavian highs forming. One to watch and see if the models stick to this set up. If they do then we could be heading toward our first proper wintry outbreak of the season sometime during second week of December.

Mid December seems to trending for a colder outbreak. A more normal Irish wintery event rather than the severe disruptive type which would be grand by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Brian Gaze, one of the forecasters over on TWO has just posted the following:

This may well turn out to be a mild winter, and I may issue a mild winter forecast, but the worries of some coldies at the moment are unjustified. The coldest and most prolonged winters have kicked off at Xmas or later, and in some ways 2009/10 was unusual, as the snow arrived about Dec 17th I think. Definitely a case of patience grasshopper, patience.
    Brian Gaze
    Berkhamsted
    TWO Buzz - get the latest news and views

Hands off our land

I think its fair to say no one knows what this winter will bring....it could go either way or just be average...!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement