Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I had a dream last night that i was in a field full of snow.... made an igloo and all :(

Took pictures ..... was delighted...

Then ... i woke up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

derekon wrote: »
    Mark Vogan (who was pretty accurate last year) has just issued his UK, Ireland and Europe winter forecast for 2011-2012.

He is calling for a severe winter to commence around mid December with heavy snow falls and sub zero temps across Ireland and Britain. Read the attached , snow fans will be salivating at the mouth...........however the million dollar question is: will he be right? :D

http://markvoganweather.blogspot.com/p/long-range.html

Is he sponsored by Carlsberg by any chance :D

Weather.preview.jpg

What a great forecast if you want snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that i was in a field full of snow.... made an igloo and all :(

Took pictures ..... was delighted...

Then ... i woke up :(

63588_174789832539186_100000245114814_488981_4189664_n.jpg

I had that last year! lol..

It came true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

I heard a statement from Piers Corbyn who was careful on what he said on this Winter. He said that a severe cold spell was going to going to Britain, he left out UK term and but added Western Europe. He said it will at the end of November early December and will last throughtout December. I can't recall him talking about January or February. So looking good for snow this winter. Yipee Yeah! That snow in North East America is unreal. Sure hopefully Ireland gets its share very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

who already put money down on a white christmas (damn you) and who this week is going to put down a bet they should of a few months ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looks like there's a mini cold spell coming our way this weekend? According to MT anyway! "Colder than average" he says :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

things seem to be looking up for us now:D looked at some of the old picturesof the snow in my estate last december and the amount of snow in dublin was ridiculous, cant wait for the snow this winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

bb1234567 wrote: »
    things seem to be looking up for us now:D looked at some of the old picturesof the snow in my estate last december and the amount of snow in dublin was ridiculous, cant wait for the snow this winter:D

I'm a bit like last year!

Only joined the craze in November, read back over a few threads last night and the long range forecast seems to be changing a lot from mild to cold, wintry conditions!

Would love some snow again but driving will be hell again! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    I'm a bit like last year!

Only joined the craze in November, read back over a few threads last night and the long range forecast seems to be changing a lot from mild to cold, wintry conditions!

Would love some snow again but driving will be hell again! lol

I wish I knew about this thread last year I am sure it was fun. I only found it this year after looking up snow in New Zealand and South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

dbyrne wrote: »
    who already put money down on a white christmas (damn you) and who this week is going to put down a bet they should of a few months ago?

i put money down 2 months ago ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The thought occured to me a few weeks ago during the October heatwave how amazing it might be if we got snow as early as last year. ie. To be sunbathing only 6 weeks before being snowed in. Well how mad would it be to be snowed in, in about 3 weeks time after kicking the covers off in bed all weekend and walking the dogs in a T-Shirt today on the 1st of November?? The weather is mad so it is! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=206&DAY=20111031

This seems realistic enough. Cold weather pattern towards Christmas - thanks to a block of cold air to the east, low pressure tending to slip south of us,feeding cold southeasterlies up over us for long periods.

Very 1947'ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MrMickeyMouse

Haven't been on this thread for a while....

So what happened to the snow doom mongers in October then? Have they gone back to seaweed school?

I've an idea, lets keep predicting the weather on a month by month basis, we might get lucky around Dec or Jan!!!

I still stick with my argument that based over the millions of years the Earth has been around and our LIMITED historical data, we haven't got a clue beyond about 10 days.

But I will enjoy reading "Snow in Nov" for the next 29 days and then "Snow in Dec" for the next 31 days...and on and on....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

correction: make that snow doom monger and not mongers as only one person by the name of James Madden said there would be snow in October. No one believed it.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=206&DAY=20111031

This seems realistic enough. Cold weather pattern towards Christmas - thanks to a block of cold air to the east, low pressure tending to slip south of us,feeding cold southeasterlies up over us for long periods.

Very 1947'ish.

Did you just say 1947???:eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

leahyl wrote: »
    Looks like there's a mini cold spell coming our way this weekend? According to MT anyway! "Colder than average" he says :D

When did he say this ???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So what happened to the snow doom mongers in October then?
    they never really existed, one james madden said vaguely certain parts
    of uk may receive moderate to heavy snow as early as octoberor november. it was hardly an october doomsday forecast to begin with but the tabloids blew it out of proportions and led the public to believe wed be under feet of snow by now with temps of -20 to boot in october:rolleyes: they actually said in one tbaloid article back in mid september that ireland would would be lying under a thick blanket of snow with temps of -20 in just 3-4 weeks,how ridiculous was that statement ,not one forecaster ever mentioned that ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

you forgot to add: While not a wintry outbreak, this spell looks slightly colder than average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

bb1234567 wrote: »
    aw derekon just beat me to it ! just about to post that , im so happy. also another piece of great news for us, piers corbyn whos winter forecast was much the same as james madden last year(ie correct about nov/dec wrong about jan/feb) and called summer very well is also going for a very cold and snowy winter this yeat too, youll be happy to hear!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGVzZvX4J6U
    and one more piece of great news,Brian Gaze was previously going for a mild winter. but if you follow his comments on the TWO winter forum, and Christmas forecast updates , he is clearly leaning towards a cold winter now, at least the first half.
    looking great for us now, just seems to really accuweather going for amild winter now! yay :D:D

So keep these dates in mind the 27th of November to the 28th of December. Lots of snow for western europe and "britain" acording to Peirs. He was right last year with "This winter will be like hell frozen over" quote. He,s 80% sure of his foreast this winter. Cant wait for the full winter forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

• Advertisement

you forgot to add: While not a wintry outbreak, this spell looks slightly colder than average.

Yes which is why I said 'mini' cold spell! Sheesh! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen a newspaper headline on the itv news,the paper said Big Siberian Freeze to Hit Britain. I just caught the end of it so I guess that it is tomorrows paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Link doesn't seem to be working for me.

Here you go
    http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2011/10/28/winter-2011-forecast-for-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Pangea wrote: »
    Just seen a newspaper headline on the itv news,the paper said Big Siberian Freeze to Hit Britain. I just caught the end of it so I guess that it is tomorrows paper.

Sure they got October wrong so they may as well go again. It'll be the express or the mail surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Piers Corbyn predicts a severe winter every year so I wouldn't put too much weight on his forecast, broken clock etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

Sure they got October wrong so they may as well go again. It'll be the express or the mail surely.
    its the express

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »

Hmmmm, lets see what this is all about...

590x446_10202220_2011-12-winter-highlights-euro.jpg

0077_8za3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

hilarious:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Oh god will they ever give it a rest.
    Thanks for that Jimmy d
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/281196

BIG SIBERIAN FREEEZE TO HIT BRITAIN

281196_1.jpg
    Heavy snowfall last year disrupted traffic during December

Wednesday November 2,2011
    By Nathan Rao

BRITAIN faces a sudden shivering end to the exceptionally warm late autumn with temperatures plunging towards Siberian levels.
    Winter weather will arrive with a vengeance with temperatures well below zero within the next fortnight.
    Experts then predict a bitterly cold December with thermometers falling at least as low as -15C (5F).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement