Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Don't think I have ever been called a nerd before... oh the excitement of it all..:D.. mmmm maybe we could be boffin's instead? Enthusiasts, or, or, or, or Anoraks... although to be fair, if we get the snow that a large number of us seem to want, I don't think an anorak will suffice... might need snow jackets... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I get asked in work all the time " Any Streamers Yet ? " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

DominoDub wrote: »
    I get asked in work all the time " Any Streamers Yet ? " :D

Haha good times watching this thread last year!

Sign's on i failed an exam over it! lol

Was worth it ;)

Roll on the streamers :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

How did I end up in the Weather forum? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

You fapped too much and hit the wrong link :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Major Snow Not to Hit Ireland
    heard on the radio that they woz saying that net weather are saying we are going to get no prolonged snowy cold spells this Winter.

what does you all think

i think we have a fair chance of getting a decent spell of snow at some stage. they cant just dis it like that.

bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

pauldry wrote: »
    heard on the radio that they woz saying that net weather are saying we are going to get no prolonged snowy cold spells this Winter.

what does you all think

ZOMG!! Netweather are always wrong,they got the last 10 winters wrong,pay no attention to them.

*************Enter previously unheard of weather prediction centre who predict epic snow***************

ZOMG!!! They're always right,i trust their predictions with my life! Bring on the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

pauldry wrote: »

what does you all think

i think we have a fair chance of getting a decent spell of snow at some stage. they cant just dis it like that.

bring it.

Read that in the Star just there but I want a cold winter!

So i'm holding on for hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Your always here star, Admit it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Everyone always ends up on the weather forum its the only place to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Current NAO Observation & 14 day Forecast... i like the increasing phase at the end , looks promising :)

nao.mrf.gif

And Monthly data from 2010 and current 2011 months
    -1.11 -1.98 -0.88 -0.72 -1.49 -0.82 -0.42 -1.22 -0.79 -0.93 -1.62 -1.85
    2011 -0.88 0.70 0.61 2.48 -0.06 -1.28 -1.51 -1.35 0.54

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

woah anything supporting a mild winter seems to be stomped out by now:p cant believe just how strong signs are looking now in favour of a cold winter. is there anything going against a cold winter at all?, and nearly all forecaster think itll be very cold, the charts ,factors everything seems to be inplace for a cold winter..never been so dead cert a winter will be very cold:D everythings looking good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

bb1234567 wrote: »
    woah anything supporting a mild winter seems to be stomped out by now:p cant believe just how strong signs are looking now in favour of a cold winter. is there anything going against a cold winter at all?, and nearly all forecaster think itll be very cold, the charts ,factors everything seems to be inplace for a cold winter..never been so dead cert a winter will be very cold:D everythings looking good!

Everything you said is whats going against it ;)

When usually we are not expecting something good of the winter , it delivers , now that everyone is on board there can only be one outcome , a complete and utter failure of what the vast majority on people in here want myself included :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Everything you said is whats going against it ;)

When usually we are not expecting something good of the winter , it delivers , now that everyone is on board there can only be one outcome , a complete and utter failure of what the vast majority on people in here want myself included :D

Being from Newbridge I would expect you to see the wrost in everything !! :p:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Being from Newbridge I would expect you to see the wrost in everything !! :p:pac:

We have the best of everything up there , we even have our own shoping centre :eek:

Im not from the area , Im merely a blow in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This place is gone crazy lately, like you get when theres a storm or something!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

I did some searching for treatment for the snow obsessed folks on the forum but could find little information.. perhaps someone could set up a support group..

http://qna.rediff.com/questions-and-answers/what-is-snowphilia-it-is-of-how-many-kinds/13508726/answers

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/healthpage/symptoms-of-snowphilia

as I said not much information regarding this life and forum destroying condition at all.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

bb1234567 wrote: »

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Derekon, if the cfs charts are right it will be unusually cold next October.
    While you may scoff at specualting about what the weather will be like in six months, it needs to be said the cfs charts were by and large correct about how this winter panned out.
    I remember the above post from back at the start of the year.
    So October turned out to be warmer than average Nacho. What exactly are CFS charts and are they used frequently in forecasting? They were obviously wrong about the October just passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Pangea wrote: »
    So October turned out to be warmer than average Nacho. What exactly are CFS charts and are they used frequently in forecasting? They were obviously wrong about the October just passed.

This is what weather online have to say about it:
    The CFS model is different to any other operational weather forecasting model you will see on WeatherOnline.

The systems works by taking reanalysis data (NCEP Reanalysis 2) and ocean conditions from GODAS (Global Ocean data Assimilation). Both of these data sets are for the previous day, and so you should be aware that before initialisation the data is already one day old.

Caution should be employed when using the forecasts made by the CFS. However, it is useful when monitored daily in assessing forecasts for the coming months, the confidence levels in these forecasts and in an assessment of how such long range models perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »

Yes. They get it right sometimes- as in last winter, but were obviously wrong about this past October being blocked.
    While weatheronline advises caution, you'll find quite a few long range forecasters use them as a guide when compiling a winter forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Today's developments are interesting.
    If you take the last 2years out of the equation height rises in Greenland during Nov are few and far between.
    Jet all over the place.
    Could history repeat itself??

Doubt it, but worth watching! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/fo...and/41524.html

What do people think of PETER O' DONNELL? Does he have much street cred?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Conor30 wrote: »

nah. he's a complete chancer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

A complete novice who sometimes guesses correctly.Ignore him.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

He's a genius :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

have to agree with the above posts, he's a chancer and should be ignored, i prefer michael fish, way better then this guy o'donnell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ShawB

Too many mild days in october for my liking! Dunno if November is gonna fair much differently. I cant remember last week let alone last year. Fair play to people following the patterns! :pac: -1 leaving work last night at 12! had to DE-ICE the car.... DELIGHTED! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement