Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

hate to tell you but im not sure if the person is taking the piss with his exact day forecast for a cold spell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

hate to tell you but im not sure if the person is taking the piss with his exact day forecast for a cold spell

Dont think he is MT said the same over on netweather he expects a cold shot before the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Get your sled orders in:D:D

sth2grayleftrearview.jpg

Tesco have them now! , well my one anyways, i asked my brother to get them in hahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

maybe but i dont know about getting the exact dates .. if he pulls it off ill be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

maybe but i dont know about getting the exact dates .. if he pulls it off ill be impressed.

well i am giving myself a 6 day window for it to begin! Not that exact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

well i am giving myself a 6 day window for it to begin! Not that exact!

For me all the signs are there for a snowless run up to Christmas.
    Eventhough there is undercutting potential mid month, there's simply no cold air to tap into. I'm hopeful after Christmas but with all of Europe including Scandi in double figures right now I just don'e see how a cold mid month is even remotely possible

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishpaddy

traecy1 wrote: »
    Who said this summer was meant to be a heat wave

bertie ahern and you know you can trust him. he got the info in an envelope. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Eventhough there is undercutting potential mid month, there's simply no cold air to tap into. I'm hopeful after Christmas but with all of Europe including Scandi in double figures right now I just don'e see how a cold mid month is even remotely possible

I give you 850hpa temp chart for 3/11/10

Rrea00220101103.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Get your sled orders in:D:D

sth2grayleftrearview.jpg

Thats a serious ramp you're building right here . . . dangerous stuff to be doing this early in the season!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I was just thinking the same a few minutes ago after watching Jean B's forecast on telly. That high over Europe is back and a southerly becomes re established over the country after a couple of chilly nights. That high that wont go away is known as the dreaded "Bartlett" high, isn't it? A snow lovers worst nightmare!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Going to put my head on the line.

As i have watched the charts for the last 5 years or so.

So i think i have some idea when i spot a changing signal.

I think that there is a strong likelihood we will get a cold outbreak from the north and east from November 20th onwards. At this moment i have no real grasp on the duration of any cold incursion.

I am suggesting a significant cold spell to begin around November 18th - 24th and last for at least 5-7 days.

I tip my hat to you Sir !

180156.png

180157.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Going to put my head on the line.

As i have watched the charts for the last 5 years or so.

So i think i have some idea when i spot a changing signal.

I think that there is a strong likelihood we will get a cold outbreak from the north and east from November 20th onwards. At this moment i have no real grasp on the duration of any cold incursion.

I am suggesting a significant cold spell to begin around November 18th - 24th and last for at least 5-7 days.

Well Roger J Smith is of the same view judging by his latest update on Netweather. Now if we could just fast forward a few weeks to see...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I know what I posted is way way out in FI but at least its a trend , not too different from last year too.

Quick question whats the best site for getting Last years charts on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes MT is sticking to his guns.Probably won't be any major cold though till the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Winter threads have exploded the last few days, Nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I just graphed my morning temperatures for October and comparing to last year I was surprised with the results.

The overall look shows a warm start to the month but by the end 2009 was warmer but still far warmer than 2010 and 23 in 2009.

There was 21 wet days in the month compared to 8 last year. There was 0 frost days in October 2011 and 4 in 2010 and 1 in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Lucreto wrote: »
    I just graphed my morning temperatures for October and comparing to last year I was surprised with the results.

The overall look shows a warm start to the month but by the end 2009 was warmer but still far warmer than 2010 and 23 in 2009.

There was 21 wet days in the month compared to 8 last year. There was 0 frost days in October 2011 and 4 in 2010 and 1 in 2009.

Where do you live?
    By mid November last year I remember having a good few nights frost behind me already in Donegal, haven't had any yet really, just one occasion last week the temp went down to 1c and I wasn't awake to see if there was any frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I know what I posted is way way out in FI but at least its a trend , not too different from last year too.

Quick question whats the best site for getting Last years charts on
    try this, just pick your date.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/tkfaxbraar.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

We are beginning to see signs of the early stages of height rises to our North reflected in the models in the 7 - 14 day period indicating that a new phase in the MJO is imminent. The chances of colder or much colder weather toward the end of the month are increasing but it's a long way off yet. I do think things will get "interesting" in the second half of the month. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Theyre available on meteociel as well, just click on archives along the top and pick your date. For some reason the GFS charts dont seem to be working right now but ECM and the rest are all there as well

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=0&archive=1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Lots of winter "Love !" :D in After Hours for the Weather Forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440597

Yesterday, 21:33 #35
    starbelgrade
    I was bored the other night & had a read of the Weather Forum.

The weather nerds are practically **** themselves silly at the thought of another **** winter.

JOE BASTARDI
    LOOK OUT EUROPE
    Heh Europe,,, looks like blocking may be rocking early this year. Get the winter woolies ready for possible December to remember

NAO may go negative for December, meaning 3rd cold one in row for Europe, US east and far east ( though from different source)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

DominoDub wrote: »
    Lots of winter "Love !" :D in After Hours for the Weather Forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440597

Yesterday, 21:33 #35
    starbelgrade

Interestingly though, more than half want it, a gpood few said they'll put up with it and only 35% said they hate it!! Have the boards weather forum users been hyjacking this poll?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Those After hour fella's are right, us 'nerds' need to discuss more productive things like in the AH section.

So lads, where does your favorite kebab come from?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

John.Icy wrote: »
    Those After hour fella's are right, us 'nerds' need to discuss more productive things like in the AH section.

Lapland, cause there is SNOW there :D

180187.JPG

While everything is still going to plan i just want to highlight to those fairly new here that in the image it shows lots of warm air is being pumped into the Arctic because of high pressure blocking to our east and all the Atlantic lows not being able to beat it back.This set up can have serious implications down the road as it can eventually help to create high latitude blocking like we seen the last few years.So these upcoming winter cold spells really could have a fair bite in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

John.Icy wrote: »

Cant stop laughing , BRILLIANT! hahahahaa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Cant stop laughing , BRILLIANT! hahahahaa :D

I should have said a pack of frozen kebabs from Iceland :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Lucreto wrote: »

October 2009 was a lovely month and the week before xmas and 2 weeks after were shite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement