Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ben Watkins has died aged 14 from cancer, he was on Master Chef Junior

My mum watches all of the masterchefs... including Masterchef jr. That's absolutely heartbreaking.

Lost his parents when he was very, very young-his father murdered his mum, then took his own life.

Absolutely tragic and short life. Died in a very horrible way too-cancer had spread everywhere, and was killing his lungs (left had shutdown, right lung was slow dying).

According to an article I read, he's donating tissue samples from the tumours in his body so that they can go towards medical science in the hopes of finding a cure.

RIP.

Kirby Morrow, actor, has died aged 47.

No cause of death has been given.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/kirby-morrow-dies-prolific-anime-voiceover-star-was-47-obituary-1234619373/

He had many voice acting roles (one that immediately leaps to mind is Cyclops in X-men Evolution) but for many he was known as Goku in Dragonball.

He also had onscreen roles, in Stargate Universe, Supergirl, The Bridge, The Good Doctor, and many other appearances. Not counting roles in video games either.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

You would have to be of a certain age, and living in a certain TV signal coverage area to remember her, but UTV presenter Helen Madden died during the past week. She presented one of the earliest children's TV programmes on UTV, 'Romper Room'.

Known to children in the north and down as far as the overspill in Dublin, she was 'Miss Helen' with the magic mirror that could see out from the TV to say hello to particular members of the audience.

Back in the black and white days when RTE only came on air late in the afternoon, Romper Room was there to provide children's entertainment, until Crossroads came on for the grown ups.

More details here in this UTV documentary item :

https://www.irishnews.com/notices/livesremembered/2020/11/21/news/helen-madden-miss-helen-was-thoughtful-kind-and-loved-by-friends-and-the-public-young-and-old-2134645/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ger Roe wrote: »
    You would have to be of a certain age, and living in a certain TV signal coverage area to remember her, but UTV presenter Helen Madden died during the past week. She presented one of the earliest children's TV programmes on UTV, 'Romper Room'.

Known to children in the north and down as far as the overspill in Dublin, she was 'Miss Helen' with the magic mirror that could see out from the TV to say hello to particular members of the audience.

Back in the black and white days when RTE only came on air late in the afternoon, Romper Room was there to provide children's entertainment, until Crossroads came on for the grown ups.

More details here in this UTV documentary item :

https://www.irishnews.com/notices/livesremembered/2020/11/21/news/helen-madden-miss-helen-was-thoughtful-kind-and-loved-by-friends-and-the-public-young-and-old-2134645/

Miss Helen is my earliest TV memory. I remember they had a test card on with music playing before it came on. I still remember the music, my mother and I used to dance around like lunatics when it was playing. I would have been about 4 at the time and I no longer dance when music comes on the TV. RIP Miss Helen.

Zaph wrote: »
    Miss Helen is my earliest TV memory. I remember they had a test card on with music playing before it came on. I still remember the music, my mother and I used to dance around like lunatics when it was playing. I would have been about 4 at the time and I no longer dance when music comes on the TV. RIP Miss Helen.

I was hoping someone might remember the famous UTV start up sig tune.
    Enjoy Zaph, there aren't many of us left these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was hoping someone might remember the famous UTV start up sig tune.
    Enjoy Zaph, there aren't many of us left these days!

Ger: Even though I am of the same vintage and had UTV during all that period, I cannot remember that start up sig tune, nor can I remember Miss Helen! It seems to have all passed me by. I think I was more of a BBC person where children's programmes were concerned! Although, I do remember those presenters shown in that video and I remember Magpie and Rainbow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ger: Even though I am of the same vintage and had UTV during all that period, I cannot remember that start up sig tune, nor can I remember Miss Helen! It seems to have all passed me by. I think I was more of a BBC person where children's programmes were concerned! Although, I do remember those presenters shown in that video and I remember Magpie and Rainbow!
    Same here I’m nearly 61 lived in Derry from 80 on don’t remember the music atall

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Kirby Morrow, actor, has died aged 47.

No cause of death has been given.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/kirby-morrow-dies-prolific-anime-voiceover-star-was-47-obituary-1234619373/

He had many voice acting roles (one that immediately leaps to mind is Cyclops in X-men Evolution) but for many he was known as Goku in Dragonball.

He also had onscreen roles, in Stargate Universe, Supergirl, The Bridge, The Good Doctor, and many other appearances. Not counting roles in video games either.

RIP.

Very unfortunate and so sudden. I grew up with his version of Goku from the Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami UK days and have many fond memories of his performances. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know Patricia Carrick, one of the women who was told she didn't have cervical cancer when she actually did, has died.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Guys back on topic. Maradona has nothing to do with TV.

Carrie Crowley nonsense deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

David Prowse, aka Darth Vader died after short illness. Annual Christmas Star Wars fest will have a new meaning this year.

Same here I’m nearly 61 lived in Derry from 80 on don’t remember the music atall

I don't have exact dates, but by 1980, the broadcasting hours would have been running to schedules near what we have today - full daytime service. By 1980, if the sign on tune and announcement was being used at all, it was probably at start up early in the morning, or else following the regional opt out from the overnight national sustaining service (ITV).

In the early Romper Room days (late 60's early 70's), there was no link up to the ITV network and the local UTV service only came on air just before the programme , so the sig tune and technical announcements were made then.

There was also a weekly TV trade announcement spot where details would be given about service work and scheduled outages on transmitters and changes to antenna systems that might require TV rental shops to retune sets, or erect new aerials for their customers.

All fantastic stuff for very young nerds.

Anyway, maybe off topic, so will leave it there.

Taltos wrote: »
    David Prowse, aka Darth Vader died after short illness. Annual Christmas Star Wars fest will have a new meaning this year.

I saw him once signing autographs at a convention in Dublin, a big man, even without the Vader Cladding and obviously looking more like the Green Cross Code man. As far as I remember he was signing photo's for both identities and seemed to be enjoying being acknowledged as either.

He also had a very soft west country accent, that was very un-threatening and explains why he didn't voice Vader.

Taltos wrote: »
    I saw him once signing autographs at a convention in Dublin, a big man, even without the Vader Cladding and obviously looking more like the Green Cross Code man. As far as I remember he was signing photo's for both identities and seemed to be enjoying being acknowledged as either.

He also had a very soft west country accent, that was very un-threatening and explains why he didn't voice Vader.

Vader and Bond in the same year... Jesus, of course it would be 2020. :(

Prowse also appeared in Clockwork Orange too.

Outside of that, he famously trained Christopher Reeve to help him bulk up to play Superman. Reeve packed on something 30-40 pounds of muscle.
    (Prior to that, they were seeing if padding would work, but it looked comical. Reeve committed to the role, even down to doing the stunts.).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Betty Bobbitt, who starred in many Australian dramas including 'Prisoner Cell Block H' (Judy Bryant) has died aged 81 following a massive stroke.

Abby Dalton has passed away at age 88, she was in Falcon Crest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

There are some clips online of the original scenes in Star Wars before they'd dubbed James Earl Jones' voice in, with Prowse saying Vader's dialogue.

I never gave Vader's voice enough credit for how scary and imperious a villain he was. Having heard this, I do now!

Having said that, Jones asked to go uncredited so that Prowse would receive more commendation for his role as Vader which was a nice gesture.

Immortan Joe aka the actor known as Hugh Keays Byrne has died. He was 73.

Mad_max_fury_road_immortan_joe_by_maltian-d89hlf8.png

Immortan Joe

36368434-0-image-a-10_1606937528882.jpg

And the man himself, Hugh Keays-Byrne.

A gentleman by all accounts. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Immortan Joe aka the actor known as Hugh Keays Byrne has died. He was 73.

Mad_max_fury_road_immortan_joe_by_maltian-d89hlf8.png

Immortan Joe

36368434-0-image-a-10_1606937528882.jpg

And the man himself, Hugh Keays-Byrne.

A gentleman by all accounts. RIP

Also played the bad guy in the original mad max

• Advertisement

wally79 wrote: »
    Also played the bad guy in the original mad max

Yup. It was genuinely a surprise to people he returned almost 40 years later.

Walked with a cane towards the end of his life. Don't know what his injuries were, but I do know the Mad Max stunt crew were kind of insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,358 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He was also Grunchlk on Farscape.

tumblr_n7s3uiHuZB1s0u7vwo2_540.jpg

David Lander (Laverne & Shirley) died on Friday after living for 37 years with multiple sclerosis, he was 73

https://tvline.com/2020/12/05/david-lander-dead-age-73-laverne-and-shirley-squiggy/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

RIP Peter aliss, what a brilliant sport commentators

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1335543746805387264?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

peteeeed wrote:
    RIP Peter aliss, what a brilliant sport commentators

Legend.

At the end of a major golf tournament and the camera would pan on the winning players smiling wife, peter would say "look at the smile on her face, her husband must have promised her a new kitchen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Former Tyne Tees announcer Neville Wanless has died aged 89.
    https://twitter.com/itvtynetees/status/1335571038286045184

Natalie Deselle-Reid a US tv actress has died from colon cancer aged 53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Tommy 'Tiny' Lister, has died aged 62. Early reports are saying that he may have died due to lingering effects of Covid, or possibly was re-infected.

450?cb=20120519173645

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9041925/Friday-actor-Tommy-Tiny-Lister-dead-age-62-Marina-Del-Rey-apartment.html

He wrestled in the WWE, and had many, many acting roles in film and television, from Friday, to Fifth Element, to Star Trek Enterprise. He appeared in as Little Nicky's brother in the Adam Sandler film. He also starred in Chamillionaire's Ridin' Dirty music video.

Probably his best remembered scene is in The Dark Knight-where he plays the prisoner who decides not to push the detonator button, thus upsetting the Joker's plans.

He also appeared in Zootopia, playing the Fennec fox who helps Nick Wylde do street hustles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Would be remembered for the Ice Cube movie "Friday" by quite a few people

Advertisement