Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I wasnt suggesting that social media should be all the talk, I just think it will. Tabloid scrutiny possibly did play a role particularly for somone who had issues as it was.
    She mentioned two days ago that it was a massive burden for one person to carry (or something to that effect) about the tabloids.
    I think it was in this article from two days ago (or the DM article it links to)
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/13/caroline-flacks-boyfriend-lewis-burton-reaches-instagram-ahead-trial-12234366/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Sun are already scrubbing articles that can be construed as putting the boot into her. The UK press go after women something rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Swallowed up by the media and spat out. The tabloids in the UK hate women. I liked her bubbly presenting style. CF was so talented. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Birneybau wrote: »
    The Sun are already scrubbing articles that can be construed as putting the boot into her. The UK press go after women something rotten.

It's a two way street-tabloids will build you up, then gleefully tear you down. You see it all the time, and if they don't tear you down-they get bored of you.

Case in point-Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Stuart Townsend.
    These two guys could poop in a different tune, and the Irish media were out covering them.
    Absolutely licking them to get the next story.

It kept not happening for them-superstardom I mean.
    They came close (well, Meyers did) but kept blowing every opportunity. Either crap films, or their own issues coming to light. (Meyers drinking, and using the N word while hammered).

Townsend disappeared, Meyers is still hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Another suicide connected to Love Island

RIP

I'll correct that

Another suicide connected to the scum tabloid media in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Edgware wrote: »
    Great looking woman but being in show business exposes all personal life with its problems.

We are now in the age of social media where everyone judges and has an opinion, more under the spotlight

I've had an ex draw blood from my face with her nails while, painfully, grab my crotch. As she did this she calmly said "I can hurt you and claim self defense, and no one will believe you" so I find this veneration, of her, more than a bit disconcerting.

Saying that, she had not been found guilty of any crime and the full story was yet to come out in trial. The gutter rags had no place hounding and grinding her into the pavement.

This is the extension of the MeToo rush to judge/destroy, people are being destroyed at the court of social media, fed by Sun/Mirror/Rag-eile.
    Case in point is Paddy Jackson, guilty in social media before, during and after trial of not guilty verdict.

As much as the tabloids are easy targets both social media companies and their users need to be held accountable

I've had an ex draw blood from my face with her nails while, painfully, grab my crotch. As she did this she calmly said "I can hurt you and claim self defense, and no one will believe you" so I find this veneration, of her, more than a bit disconcerting.

Saying that, she had not been found guilty of any crime and the full story was yet to come out in trial. The gutter rags had no place hounding and grinding her into the pavement.

This is the extension of the MeToo rush to judge/destroy, people are being destroyed at the court of social media, fed by Sun/Mirror/Rag-eile.
    Case in point is Paddy Jackson, guilty in social media before, during and after trial of not guilty verdict.

As much as the tabloids are easy targets both social media companies and their users need to be held accountable

Oh the veneration of her is disturbing- especially considering two of her exes had been assaulted by her. That and she dated a 17 year old male when she was 32. Not illegal, but very odd.

That said-the #Metoo thing was mostly about men being found guilty before trial (case in point, Johnny Depp-who had far worse said about him, as well as jobs taken away from him. And yet he's still standing).
    If anything, what she probably found out was that the 'showbiz' friends very quickly dumped her when the dirt had started to stick.
    I wonder how many people who tweeted/ posted insta messages had 'actually' spoken to her in the last few weeks?
    Probably a tiny percentage.

Tbh, it was similar to the Michael Barrymore thing. Whatever you believer (or don't) about what happened in his house that night. Once the media had the story, his career was dead. If it had gone to trial, and he was proven (beyond doubt) innocent, his career would have still been dead.

I personally think Social MEdia played a large part-but back when she was dating Harry Styles (there's a reason I brought it up), a magazine in the US printed a page with a cutout 'Caroline Flack' image... that you could stick on a dartboard. And throw darts at. (The One Direction fans were psychotic... and I think it showed Simon Cowell's uglier side-the nasty things said about Flack at that time were not nice. Could have easily put out a 'don't be nasty' message-or something.)

I think Social media, and the net, were FAR more toxic than print media. Print isn't accessed as much as the web.
    And blaming the Sun is too easy... the web was far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,003 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very sad news. Young beautiful young woman.

She had her issues, and unfortunately, wasn’t able to cope with them, feeling that the way out was death...

I do wish people would stop searching for blame. Caroline committed the act. Nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Which I don't quite understand. She was due to go to court in March, she'd been accused of physically assaulting her ex-partners.

I don't think social media was to blame here-if it was, Johnny Depp would have been dead a long time ago (based on scurrilous allegations that have now been proven lies).
    She had allegations made against her, which were around for a while.

Plus if you read into articles on domestic abuse, abusers often try and control their partner's with threats of abuse.
    But it wouldn't surprise me if she had 'learned' this behaviour-from childhood.

To be honest, as an outside observer, she seemed to in some kind of arrested development.
    Her 'lashing out' and other behaviours were like a child throwing a tantrum.

'learned behaviour from childhood' ? This maybe has some value, but who are we to say? It seems rather speculative and an overstatement with no bearing on fact.

I must say I have never been a fan of CF's especially since she teamed up in a steamy sexual relationship with Harry Styles, who was little more than a child on the threshold of a career in boyband, One Direction.

She came from a pretty ordinary middle-class family in the UK. The family appeared as a unit in the show Family Fortunes on TV a few years ago. It showed the home in which C grew up and the area in which she lived - all very normal and nice! Granted you get an incomplete glimpse of the family on that show, but I must say I was surprised by how ordinary the family appeared. Caroline stood out in the family as "The Celebrity".

In my opinion, I think it was the "Celebrity" concept that went to her head and allowed her to exercise a sort of sexual addiction with many inappropriate relationships. Sky Arts TV recently showed a series indicating how the craving for "Celebrity" affects many individuals in various negative ways - reliance on drink, drugs, and often leading to an early death, whether suicide or accidental overdose. Unfortunately, Caroline seems to be one more casualty of the Fame addiction and all that that involves, be it social media, gutter newspapers, etc. etc.

The impending trial and the loss of her job as TV host must have been an unbearable fall from grace for Caroline. This, IMO, would have led to her death. Some speculation from me! Very sad! May she Rest in Peace!

• Advertisement

'learned behaviour from childhood' ? This maybe has some value, but who are we to say? It seems rather speculative and an overstatement with no bearing on fact.

I must say I have never been a fan of CF's especially since she teamed up in a steamy sexual relationship with Harry Styles, who was little more than a child on the threshold of a career in boyband, One Direction.

She came from a pretty ordinary middle-class family in the UK. The family appeared as a unit in the show Family Fortunes on TV a few years ago. It showed the home in which C grew up and the area in which she lived - all very normal and nice! Granted you get an incomplete glimpse of the family on that show, but I must say I was surprised by how ordinary the family appeared. Caroline stood out in the family as "The Celebrity".

In my opinion, I think it was the "Celebrity" concept that went to her head and allowed her to exercise a sort of sexual addiction with many inappropriate relationships. Sky Arts TV recently showed a series indicating how the craving for "Celebrity" affects many individuals in various negative ways - reliance on drink, drugs, and often leading to an early death, whether suicide or accidental overdose. Unfortunately, Caroline seems to be one more casualty of the Fame addiction and all that that involves, be it social media, gutter newspapers, etc. etc.

The impending trial and the loss of her job as TV host must have been an unbearable fall from grace for Caroline. This, IMO, would have led to her death. Some speculation from me! Very sad! May she Rest in Peace!

I'll admit, it is mostly speculation-but it's speculation based on my own experiences with similar individuals.

I don't want to link it here (because the outlet itsself is divisive), but the Daily Mail had a good article about here-seemed she suffered from depression throughout most of her life. Wanted the showbiz lifestyle, didn't like it when she got it.
    Especially the attention. She was a twin, and had insecurities about being the 'ugly' sister.

I saw that her parents also split up recently... so that family dynamic changing can be quite a shock to the system. Especially for someone with mental health problems.

I saw Laura Whitmore did the 'emotional' tribute to Flack, whilst also defending the Love Island show.
    I thought that was kind of scummy, imo. It felt like she was trying to save her job, rather than actually defending the show (and for a reality show, that has almost as many deaths linked to it as Celebrity rehab in the US).

Best not to say anything-related to the show-just don't, it's far better to not put a spotlight on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Any chance all the speculation can be taken to the After Hours thread.

Can we post voice actors?

Anyways, JAson Davis, mostly known as a voice actor on TV shows like Disney's Recess, and small parts in movies like Rush Hour, and Beverly Hills Ninja, died aged 35.

He played the young Chris Farley in Beverly Hills Ninja... and was close to the same age as Farley was when he died.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jason-davis-recess-voice-actor-dead-dies-1203505519/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: please take the Flack speculation elsewhere to another thread, this one isn't really the place to do it. There are more than enough on After hours / Current Affairs.

Cheryl Wheeler Duncan, Stuntwoman and Actress
    (Mostly movies, some TV)

Very bizarre incident-died in a shootout.

She was 59.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2490297/back-to-the-future-ii-and-lethal-weapon-stuntwoman-killed-in-shootout

Lynn Cohen (Magda from Sex and the City) died Friday she was 86 - RIP

Kellye Nakahara from Mash died too.

Never watched the show, aired before I was born.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0217/1115936-m-a-s-h/

Ja'net Dubois, actress on Good Times, and Composer and Singer of the theme tun e to The Jeffersons (Movin' on up, to the East Side) died aged 74.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/janet-dubois-dead-good-times-star-dies-at-74-report-1279855

Also had roles in TV shows like ER, Cold Case, Sister/Sister, As Told by Ginger, and Everybody Loves Raymond.

And appeared in movies like Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, and I'm Gonna Git You Sucka'.

Had a cameo in JAnet Jackson's music video for the song 'Control'. (They were co-stars on Good Times, one of Jackson's earliest roles).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Kellye Nakahara from Mash died too.

Never watched the show, aired before I was born.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0217/1115936-m-a-s-h/

Sad to hear about Kellye, her character in Mash was quite likable.

Brilliant show that stands the test of time, i would recommend anyone watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,639 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Derek was also in Basil Brush many years ago. BoomBoom. RIP DF
    And Basil turned up himself to pay a final tribute to Mr Derek;

https://twitter.com/realbasilbrush/status/1229844403390500864

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Frances Cuka 83, best known recently as grandma Nelly Buller on Friday Night Dinner, she was cast the original Peggy Mitchell but lost out to Jo Warne who was then replaced by one Barbara Windsor (such is acting life) but for most of her career was on the stage esp the RSC

Lee Phillip Bell, who co-created soap operas The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful, has died at the age of 91

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Michael Medwin, who had a long career in Movies and TV stretching back to the 1940s, died yesterday at the age of 96

MV5BNmRjNjViNmUtOTkyNi00ZWE2LWFmZTQtMDQ2YWQ0YWQyMzhhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxMjk0Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Very familiar face in British films and telly from the 1940s onwards.He was also the radio station boss in Shoestring! R.I.P.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51649817

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Very familiar face in British films and telly from the 1940s onwards.He was also the radio station boss in Shoestring! R.I.P.

thats right, he was. I think we are both showing our age there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

James Lipton from Inside The Actors Studio has died, he was 93

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-lipton-dead-actors-studio-909382

Skid X wrote: »
    James Lipton from Inside The Actors Studio has died, he was 93

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-lipton-dead-actors-studio-909382

Aw... Not James Lipton. Loved his interviews with actors. They were often insightful.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

BoroMan32 wrote: »

He was only 51 - way, way too young. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Max Van Sydow has died.He was 90.Most well known for Game of Thrones and The Exorcist

Advertisement