Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Very sad to hear about Keelin, we named our daughter after her, one of those situations where we couldn't agree on a name for our newborn, agreed on Keelin, never met her but my wife knew a friend of hers, she just came across as a decent person, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Really moving tribute to Keelin on the news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

kravmaga wrote: »
    Terrible shock, just saw the RTE News earlier.

Terrible news as I know she had discussed beating cancer back in 2013 on the LLS interview.

Way too young to go. Great investigative journalist and a nice outgoing personality.

RIP

Absolutely shocked to hear Keelin has died. Watched the 2013 LLS interview again this evening - it was very moving to see how delighted she was that she had beaten the cancer which was diagnosed on March 25th, 2011 - the day of
    the General Election. Sad coincidence that she passed away today, the day of the 2020 General Election.

RTÉ News paid a very nice tribute to her this evening. Condolences to her husband, two young children and extended family and friends.

May she Rest In Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

One of the few genuine and likeable RTE presenters. Very sad for her young children.

She never looked sick a day on TV, was amazed to hear she had battled through her initial cancer on the screen, and looked remarkably well throughout. I encountered her in real life, with her young children in tow, a lovely lady, and looked even better off screen. Horrifying to think how certain breast cancers can hide in the bone marrow and creeps out again years later, which is the focus of future therapies (getting the malignant cells out of the marrow to where they can be targeted). Of course she may have succumbed to a completely different cancer, such happens in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭patob

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/1226178744030765056?s=09
    Nice memories of Keelin on 6 O Clock news having fun with Catriona Perry. RIP Keelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I genuinely feel sorry for colleagues tomorrow(later today) having to talk about an election when from their tweets today they are to a man and woman devastated about her death. I know people can say things about RTÉ and it's staff which aren't always complementary but I've not seen one cross word said about her. It's a great compliment to her it seems us the listeners/viewers got the same person on screen as she was off screen. Anyway may she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's mad isn't bit, I was genuinely gutted when I heard the news. She did a lot of documentaries about the downtrodden, people trafficking and the likes. Absolutely everyone on Twitter that worked with her saying how lovely and fun and kind she was. R.I.P., feel terrible for the husband and kids.

Lovely tale from Sean Moncrieff here and also from his daughter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeanMoncrieff/status/1226180730990006272

https://mobile.twitter.com/keelinmoncrieff/status/1226183417743773697

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kevin Conway and Robert Conrad have died

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for colleagues tomorrow(later today) having to talk about an election when from their tweets today they are to a man and woman devastated about her death. I know people can say things about RTÉ and it's staff which aren't always complementary but I've not seen one cross word said about her. It's a great compliment to her it seems us the listeners/viewers got the same person on screen as she was off screen. Anyway may she rest in peace.

I'd be the first to have a go at RTE but she always came across well. Even if she didnt, no one should go so young. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Kevin Conway and Robert Conrad have died

Pappy is down

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

A truly upsetting day. An intelligent astute presenter with a passion for the truth and the righteous agenda. Like me, a trained scientist that saw the BS from the facts. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Suspected there was something serious up with Ms Shanley, especially since she was off the TV for so long. Absolutely gutted that she was taken so soon.

She was genuinely one of those people who I would have loved to have met. Very bright, intelligent person with a wonderful spirit. But someone who never spoke down to people. (Take note current RTE newsfolks).
    Keelin also seemed really happy in her personal life- her and her husband spoke lovingly of one another. Soulmates, for want of a better word.

I saw Eileen Whelan tweeted about all the kind messages she received-it was not an easy news broadcast for her to make. You could see it on her face-absolutely devastated. She 'broke' at one point-shortly before going to the advert break. And I think she barely held it together towards the end. Shows you how loved Keelin was.
    Her presenting today reminded me of when JAcqui Hurley had to eulogize Colm Murray on the day he died.
    She sat at the same spot of his desk, and was clearly very emotional, barely holding it together. Could hardly blame her-seems the good ones are taken too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kevin Conway

His voice!!

Stringfellow Hawke died yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

10/02/2019.

Stringfellow Hawke died yesterday.

You're in the wrong year. Jan Michael Vincent died in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

An old character actor Orson Bean, killed after being struck by 2 cars.

You're in the wrong year. Jan Michael Vincent died in 2019.

Ah bollix. Thought it was the other day. My bad :mad:

Prime time tonight did a very wonderful tribute to Keelin Shanley tonight.

It showed how human she was- even with the downtrodden, the people lying in the gutters. She was there with them-and not judging them.
    Even when asking 'are you tempted to go back to drugs' to one single mom (who sadly died two weeks after the interview, from a drug overdose) it wasn't judging her, it was judging the system that was failing people.

I even noticed that Miriam spoke very little over the clips that were shown. For one, she let it show Keelin Shanley in her own light.

It was very well done. Reminded me we lost a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I posted this on another thread that subsequently got deleted which was disappointing, but years ago i was interviewed by Keelin for The Consumer Show.
    She was lovely and friendly, complete professional and had researched the topic asking really interesting questions.
    Way too young to go. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Poor troubled Caroline Flack seems to have taken her own life. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's very sad. Should give all of us who use social media pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Birneybau wrote: »

Just reported by Kate Egan on the Six-One news now. Jesus. That's absolutely horrific. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very tragic :(

May she rest in peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Birneybau wrote: »

Another suicide connected to Love Island

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Another suicide connected to Love Island

RIP

We will undoubtedly be hearing a whole lot more about social media trolling and UK tabloid press scrutiny after this. Terribly sad! RiP.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    We will undoubtedly be hearing a whole lot more about social media trolling and UK tabloid press scrutiny after this. Terribly sad! RiP.

Which I don't quite understand. She was due to go to court in March, she'd been accused of physically assaulting her ex-partners.

I don't think social media was to blame here-if it was, Johnny Depp would have been dead a long time ago (based on scurrilous allegations that have now been proven lies).
    She had allegations made against her, which were around for a while.

Plus if you read into articles on domestic abuse, abusers often try and control their partner's with threats of abuse.
    But it wouldn't surprise me if she had 'learned' this behaviour-from childhood.

To be honest, as an outside observer, she seemed to in some kind of arrested development.
    Her 'lashing out' and other behaviours were like a child throwing a tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Great looking woman but being in show business exposes all personal life with its problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Which I don't quite understand. She was due to go to court in March, she'd been accused of physically assaulting her ex-partners.

I don't think social media was to blame here-if it was, Johnny Depp would have been dead a long time ago (based on scurrilous allegations that have now been proven lies).
    She had allegations made against her, which were around for a while.

Plus if you read into articles on domestic abuse, abusers often try and control their partner's with threats of abuse.
    But it wouldn't surprise me if she had 'learned' this behaviour-from childhood.

To be honest, as an outside observer, she seemed to in some kind of arrested development.
    Her 'lashing out' and other behaviours were like a child throwing a tantrum.

I wasnt suggesting that social media should be all the talk, I just think it will. Tabloid scrutiny possibly did play a role particularly for somone who had issues as it was.

Advertisement